[soc.religion.christian] afterlife

lindborg@cs.washington.edu (Jeff Lindborg) (03/06/91)

>[It's true that scholars believe that relatively concrete ideas about
>personal judgement after death were formulated fairly late in Judaism.
>However as far as I know those who ascribe them to outside influences
>believe it came from contact with Persians during the exile.

  Perhaps I should have been more clear.  The ideas of *resurection*
did indeed (as far as we know) enter Judaism through Persia in the
neighborhood of the mid 5th century BCE.  Resurection, of course,
dealing with an event that is to take place at the end of history
when the dead are raised and brought under divine judgment.  Judaism
seemed to embody this idea with the concept of Sheol as being some
sort of "shaddow" existence.  A Jewish friend of mine explained it
as a "cosmic waiting room for the end of time".  Simplistic but it
works.
   However the concept of the imorality of the soul and an immediate
life after death (in some form or another) is a Greco-Roman idea
that entered Judaism around 300-200BCE when Hellenism was in
'vouge' for young thinkers...
   There is a fundamental difference between the two, of course.

>Of course from early days there had been a confidence in God as a judge
>who would make things come out right, and it appears that there was at
>least some kind of survival in Sheol after death (though in the
>earlier books not much is said about it, and there is even a comment
>somewhere about not being able to praise God in Sheol).  One of the
>changes in the prophets, e.g. Ezekiel, was an increasing
>personalization of the religion, so that for example it was no longer
>believed that children would be held responsible by God for the sins
>of their parents.  It seems quite consistent with these developments
>that God's judgement should be seen as including people after their
>death, and not just the eventual triumph of the nation.  My
>suspicion is that exposure to Persians during the exile may have in
>some ways catalyzed changes in concepts, but that those changes were
>consistent with the natural course of development of Judaism --
>otherwise it's unlikely that Jews would have adopted them.

  Actualy an interesting side note along this line:
  The first concrete reference to a life after death (as opposed to some
sort of vauge resurection belief) that I can find occurs about the time
of the collapse of the Zadok line (around 150-140 BCE).  Confronted by
Antiockus's threat of death to any Jew who remained true to their law,
and confronted with the question of WHY one whould die for the law if
there could (obviously!) be no reward in this world for it, a group of
soferim responded by proclaiming that God had revealed two laws and not
just one.  This "other" revealed law (latter termed "oral torah")
proclaimed that God would reward with eternal life those who gave up
their lives.  Of course the support they received allowed them to
overthrow the Zadokite high priesthood and invoke thier own authority
in 142 BCE.

Jeff Lindborg

davidh@tektronix.tek.com (David L Hatcher) (03/09/91)

In article <Mar.5.23.14.22.1991.22870@athos.rutgers.edu> lindborg@cs.washington.edu (Jeff Lindborg) writes:
>  Perhaps I should have been more clear.  The ideas of *resurection*
>did indeed (as far as we know) enter Judaism through Persia in the
>neighborhood of the mid 5th century BCE.

  This would be through the Zoroastrian religion. The Magi were
  Zoroastrian's. I've read in many places that Judaism did not
  have any concept of "evil", "hell" or "satan" as we know it until
  the Zoroastrian's came onto the scene and freed them from from their
  exile in Babylonia.

	David Hatcher