[soc.religion.christian] questions about slavery.

lindborg@cs.washington.edu (Jeff Lindborg) (03/05/91)

In article <Feb.27.00.25.02.1991.8893@athos.rutgers.edu> sc1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Stephen Chan) writes:
>mib@geech.ai.mit.edu (Michael I Bushnell) writes:

>	Homosexuality, in orthodox jewish teaching, is wrong. It
>is also wrong in traditional Christian morality. If you're trying to
>argue that homosexuality is not a sin (in the context of
>Christianity), then you'll have to overturn not only 2000 years of
>Christian teaching, but also another ~2000 years of Hebrew teaching too.

This caught my attention and sparked a thought about just what was and
was not acceptable in traditional Hebrew and Christian teaching.
Specificialy, if you're going to base your agument on the "traditional"
acceptablity/unacceptability of a set of beliefs then how would you
handle the situation if Michael, say, owned slaves?
   I'm curious to know because not only was it traditionaly acceptable
to own slaves (and concubines) in the Old Testament, it was actualy
condoned by GOD Himself in the laws passed from His mouth to Moses in
Exodus (if God did not approve slavery He would not have created laws
concerning their treatment or maltreatment and the sale of them etc...).
Futher Paul states simply that you are to treat your slaves well.  He does
not disapprove of the idea of one human being 'owned' by another.
   Obviously this is an accademic question, but on what biblical grounds
would you base your assumption that a slave owner was "living in
sin"?  Is it somehow more reprehesible to be homosexual than to own
slaves?  This must be the case because the bible goes through the
trouble of condoning one and condeming the other...
   This is curious to me because homosexuality between conscenting
adults harms no one.  Yes slavery is, as I'm sure you'd agree, a
terrible thing for those on the wrong end of it...

>>How to you reply to my
>>assertion that being gay is an inalterable fact of personality?  Your
>>statements offer no alternative but celibacy.  Is that your true
>>belief, or do you contest (with no experience upon which to do so)
>>that sexuality cannot be changed?

>	Personality is not inalterable.

Many people, including myself, would contest that homosexuality
cannot be simply altered by, say, exercising more or doing more
"manly" things (as I was told by my father once).  If this were
true I could tell you that you could become homosexual if you
tried hard enough... obviously not true.

>	Unfortunately, for many people, this seems to be the case.
>
>>Ah, I don't blame you.  I merely ask that you give me due credit.
>
>	You have a right to your opinion. But the weight of tradition
>       and experience makes your protests seem very hollow.

Again, tradition is not always right... see above.

Jeff Lindborg

sacg1198@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Cattanach) (03/07/91)

lindborg@cs.washington.edu (Jeff Lindborg) writes:

>   I'm curious to know because not only was it traditionaly acceptable
>to own slaves (and concubines) in the Old Testament, it was actualy
>condoned by GOD Himself in the laws passed from His mouth to Moses in
>Exodus (if God did not approve slavery He would not have created laws
>concerning their treatment or maltreatment and the sale of them etc...).
>Futher Paul states simply that you are to treat your slaves well.  He does
>not disapprove of the idea of one human being 'owned' by another.

The Oxford Illustrated History of Christianity points out when discussing
slavery and early Christianity that the difference between slaves and
"free" people was more a matter of degree than of kind at that time.
Paul's letters told slave owners to treat "their" slaves as brothers.
IMHO, this is asking more than simply the negative action of "freeing"
them as they had no possessions, probably no means of support, and
not a whole lot more rights than before.

--
 -catt (Scott Cattanach - catt@uiuc.edu)

"I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace,
that two become a law firm, and that three or more become a congress!"

rjb@akgua.att.com (Robert J Brown) (03/08/91)

In article <Mar.4.21.51.23.1991.26083@athos.rutgers.edu>, lindborg@cs.washington.edu (Jeff Lindborg) writes:
> Futher Paul states simply that you are to treat your slaves well.  He does
> not disapprove of the idea of one human being 'owned' by another.
>    Obviously this is an accademic question, but on what biblical grounds
>
> Jeff Lindborg

 I apologize that I can't find my reference right now, but Paul clearly
 stated the things you said but he also said that if, as a slave,
 you could obtain/buy your freedom legally then do so.

 He held that being free was a better state than slavery because
 it would give you more flexibility to serve God.

 Bob akgua!rjb

cctr114@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (03/08/91)

In article <Mar.4.21.51.23.1991.26083@athos.rutgers.edu>, lindborg@cs.washington.edu (Jeff Lindborg) writes:

[snip]

> Specificialy, if you're going to base your agument on the "traditional"
> acceptablity/unacceptability of a set of beliefs then how would you
> handle the situation if Michael, say, owned slaves?
>    I'm curious to know because not only was it traditionaly acceptable
> to own slaves (and concubines) in the Old Testament, it was actualy
> condoned by GOD Himself in the laws passed from His mouth to Moses in
> Exodus (if God did not approve slavery He would not have created laws
> concerning their treatment or maltreatment and the sale of them etc...).
> Futher Paul states simply that you are to treat your slaves well.  He does
> not disapprove of the idea of one human being 'owned' by another.

[snip]

> Jeff Lindborg

Well rather than state my opinion I thought I would let you read Abraham
Lincoln's thoughts on the subject. What follows is his second inaugural
address. The question of owning slaves and God's opinion of this is dealt with.
This was scanned in and so many contain a few errors but should be quite
readable. Although the address was short it is said that a lot of the
audience needed to wipe the tears out of their eyes at the end of the
speech. Happy reading.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At this second  appearing to take the oath of the presidential
office, there is less occasion for an extended address than there was at the
first. Then a statement, somewhat in detail, of a course to he pursued,
seemed fiting and proper. Now at the expiration of four years, during which
public declarations have been constantly called forth on every point and
phase  of the great contest  which still absorps the attention, and
engrosses the energies of the nation, little that is new could be presented.
The progress of our arms, upon which all else chiefly depends, is as well
known to the public as to myself, and it is, I trust, reasonably satisfactory
and encouraging to all. With high hope for the future, no prediction in
regard to it is ventured.

On the occasion corresponding to this four years ago all thoughts were
anxiously directed to an impending civil-war. All dreaded it - all sought
to avert it. While the inaugural address was being delivered from this place,
devoted altogether to saving the  union without war, insurgent agents were
in the city seeking to destroy it without war - seeking to dissolve the union,
and divide its effects, by negotiation. Bath parties deprecated  war;
but one of then would make war rather than let the nation surive; and the
other would accept war rather than let it perish. And the war came.

  One eighth  of the  whole popultion were colored slaves, not distributed
generally over the union, but located in the Southern part of it. These
slaves constituted  a peculiar and powerful interest. All knew that this
interest was, somehow, the cause of the war. To strengthen, perpetuate, and
extend this interest was the object for  which the insurgents would rend the
union, even by war; while the government claimed no right to do more than to
restrict the territorial enlargement of it. Neither party expected for the
war, the magnitude, or the duration which it has already attained. Neither
anticipated that the cause of the conflict might cease with, or even before,
the conflict itself should cease. Each looked for an easier triumph, and a
result less fundamental and astounding. Both read the same Bible, and pray
to the same God; and each invokes His aid against the other. It may seem
strange that any men should dare to ask a just God's assistance in wringing
their bread from the sweat of other men's faces; but let us judge not
that we be not judged. The prayers of both could not he answered that of neither
has been answered fully. The Almighty has His own purposes. ''Woe unto the
world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to
that man by whom the offence cometh" If we shall suppose that American
Slavery is one of those offences which, in the provdence of God, must needs come
but which, having  continued through  His appointed time, He now wills to remove
and that He gives to both North and South, this terrible war, as the woe due to
those by whom the offence came, shall we discern therein an departure from
those divine attribute which the believers in a Living God always  ascribe
to Him ? Fondly do we hope - fervently do we pray - that this mighty
scourge of war may speedily pass away. Yet, if God wills that it continue,
until all the wealth piled by the bond-man's two hundred and fifty years of
unrequited  toil shall be sunk, and until every drop of blood drawn  with
the lash shall be paid by another drawn with the sword, as was said three
thousand  years ago, so still it must be said "the judgments of the Lord,
are true and righteous altogether"
  With malice toward none; with charity for all;  with firmness in the right,
as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we
are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have
borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan - to do all which
may achieve and cherish a just, and a lasting peace, among ourselves,
and with all nations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bill Rea
| Bill Rea, University of Canterbury, | E-Mail   b.rea@csc.canterbury.ac.nz |
| Christchurch, New Zealand           | Phone (03)-642-331 Fax (03)-642-999 |

mls@sfsup.att.com (Mike Siemon) (03/09/91)

In article <Mar.7.03.36.37.1991.21802@athos.rutgers.edu>, sacg1198@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Cattanach) writes:

> The Oxford Illustrated History of Christianity points out when discussing
> slavery and early Christianity that the difference between slaves and
> "free" people was more a matter of degree than of kind at that time.

Well, the Oxford Illustrated History of Christianity is wrong.  There was,
indeed, a range of possibilities including relatively good treatement of
slaves as fully integrated family memebers.  But Roman latifundias, which
were a major part of the slave population, were much the same as plantations
in the American South.  And some kinds of slave usage, as in the Athenian
silver mines, were as abominable as any mistreatment ever meted out by man
against man.  The only dimension in which ancient slavery tended to be much
different from our own past experience was that it did not involve the utter
degradation of a racist categorization of the slave as subhuman -- but the
Greek view of some men as "by nature" slaves was not all THAT much better
than American racism.
--
Michael L. Siemon		"O stand, stand at the window,
m.siemon@ATT.COM		    As the tears scald and start;

djohnson@ucsd.edu (Darin Johnson) (03/09/91)

>>    I'm curious to know because not only was it traditionaly acceptable
>> to own slaves (and concubines) in the Old Testament, it was actualy
>> condoned by GOD Himself in the laws passed from His mouth to Moses in
>> Exodus (if God did not approve slavery He would not have created laws
>> concerning their treatment or maltreatment and the sale of them etc...).
>> Futher Paul states simply that you are to treat your slaves well.  He does
>> not disapprove of the idea of one human being 'owned' by another.

Well, logically I don't see the conclusion that God and Paul did not
disapprove of slavery...  Being told to treat one's slaves well, does
not imply that owning slaves is ok.  In the ancient times slavery was
a much more accepted thing, so it is natural to assume that many of
God's people would have slaves.  The laws on treating slaves raised
the status of these slaves tremendously.  The notion of a "hired hand"
was probably rare.  Paul's assertion may have been considered pretty
radical by some non-Jewish groups.
(and just because your father took you aside before the prom and explained
about birth control, doesn't mean he approved of premarital relations)
--
Darin Johnson
djohnson@ucsd.edu

lindborg@cs.washington.edu (Jeff Lindborg) (03/11/91)

In article <Mar.8.00.24.05.1991.23740@athos.rutgers.edu> rjb@akgua.att.com (Robert J Brown) writes:
>In article <Mar.4.21.51.23.1991.26083@athos.rutgers.edu>, lindborg@cs.washington.edu (Jeff Lindborg) writes:
>> Futher Paul states simply that you are to treat your slaves well.  He does
>> not disapprove of the idea of one human being 'owned' by another.
>>    Obviously this is an accademic question, but on what biblical grounds

> I apologize that I can't find my reference right now, but Paul clearly
> stated the things you said but he also said that if, as a slave,
> you could obtain/buy your freedom legally then do so.

Everyone (via e-mail) seems to be jumping on the Paul comment here.  The
real thrust of my question dealt with the words of God to Moses in
Exodus.  These are the passages that I found disturbing.  I merely
threw in the bit about Paul to indicate that the laws were not
revoked or contradicted in the New Testament in any real way.

Jeff Lindborg

sacg1198@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Cattanach) (03/13/91)

mls@sfsup.att.com (Mike Siemon) writes:

>Well, the Oxford Illustrated History of Christianity is wrong.  There was,
>indeed, a range of possibilities including relatively good treatement of
>slaves as fully integrated family memebers.  But Roman latifundias, which

Which is more than just freeing them, which was the point of what I posted.
What the book said that the negative action of freeing them (i.e. stop
doing something wrong and just abandon them to their fate) would not
have led to a life of total freedom in and of itself.

I don't have a Bible handy, but I think Paul told owners to do something
along the lines of what you mention above.

>were a major part of the slave population, were much the same as plantations
>in the American South.  And some kinds of slave usage, as in the Athenian
>silver mines, were as abominable as any mistreatment ever meted out by man
>against man.  The only dimension in which ancient slavery tended to be much

I don't believe Paul was addressing the men who owned those mines (at least
there is no specific mention of that sort of activity, it seems like
the slaves he refers to are not quite in that particular situation).

--

fasano@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Cathy Fasano) (03/13/91)

lindborg@cs.washington.edu (Jeff Lindborg) writes:

>Futher Paul states simply that you are to treat your slaves well.  He does
>not disapprove of the idea of one human being 'owned' by another.

Actually, Paul is known to have harbored a fugitive slave.  When the slave
returned to his owner (and there is no suggestion that returning is
against the runaway slave's will) he brought along a letter from Paul
strongly urging the owner to free said slave.  (I would describe the
letter as friendly blackmail -- "Therefore, although I feel that I
have every right to command you to do what ought to be done, I prefer
to appeal in the name of love."  And later, "If he [the slave, Onesimus]
has done you an injury or owes you anything, charge it to me.  I, Paul,
write this in my own hand:  I agree to pay -- not to mention that you
owe me your very self! ... Confident of your compliance, I write you,
knowing that you will do more than I say."  Yep -- all the subtlety of
a brick through your front window...)  To somehow conclude that Paul
is in favor of slavery is simply fantastic -- clearly it's not his first
priority, but he's not in favor of it, either!

I guess what I find most fantastic about Jeff even bringing up the
topic of slavery is that it's a simple historical fact that the
Thirteenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of
America is as clear and classic an example as we're going to get of
"Christians imposing Christian morality on non-Christians."  Not to
mention Christians imposing Christian morality on Christians-who-just-
don't-want-to-act-according-to-Christian-morality (who, I will freely
admit, are probably, at least in the United States, a much larger group
than non-Christians .)

Slightly incredulous,
cathy :-)
--