[soc.religion.christian] Imposing Christian morality on nonbelievers

benning@uunet.uu.net (02/11/91)

In article <Feb.6.03.02.40.1991.25888@athos.rutgers.edu>, DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu (Doug Sewell) writes:
> It's becoming more common for Christians to attempt (through boycotts
> or legislation) to impose their moral standards on nonbelievers.

  Doug. Perhaps this is a result of being forced to swallow the "new-
  morality" of this present generation, which is:

  - God doesn't exist
  - If God doesn't exist, man can define what is right and wrong.
  - If someone says what you do is wrong, fund a lobby to put into law
    what you do.It is a "personal choice" and part of my freedom of
    expression as an American.
  - If it feels good then do it.

An example:
    A group from the gay community marched on Washington and had many
    speakers. One speaker called for an end to sodomy laws. He
    said what two consulting adults do in private can NOT be legislated.
    "We are not harming anyone with our actions..." went the claim.
 Okay. Maybe he is right.
    Then the next speaker gets up and demands more federal money for
    AIDS research to save the lives of those dying of this illness.
 Hey wait.  I though what two (or more) adults did in private wasn't
  going to effect me. Now they want more money (which I agree the money
  is needed) to cure an illness spread through the intimacy of these
  individuals while in the privacy of there own home. Sounds like wanting
  to eat the cake and have it also. That federal money comes from you and
  me. So if more is needed for AIDS research, we help pay for it.

An example:
    I Tell my children that the Bible TEACHES that homosexuality is sin.
    And those who claim to be, are no different than adulterers or one who
    sleeps with their sister. It is rebelion against God and through Jesus
    bringing you new life through faith, you can overcome the sin, and live
    a "normal" life of "normal" God given relations with the opposite sex.
 THEN, Television tells my children dad is an old fashion dope. The Schools
 WANT TO open a gay-awareness SUPPORT OFFICE TO TELL school age boys that
 it is okay AND NORMAL to want sex with the quarterback. Dad gets hit with
 a civil right law suit and is forced to work the AIDS floor at the local
 hospital because the Judge thinks it will help Dad respect other people
 more than he did before.

 No. I think what you see as just a reaction of having Imorality shoved
 down the throats of Christians, through TV, movies, Schools, public
 figures (even elected representatives) who have attacked the moral
 characters of believers.

 Granted, If we did it right, we would do it through the power of God
 as the first believers did. But Lord help us, we do what we can. In America
 I would say there is freedom of religion, but don't practice it outside
 of your home. It has been made illegal (in my opinion).

> What are we trying to say:
>

> (4) something else ?

  Yes. Something else.

> Whenever I see this happening, I wonder if the Christianity they practice
> has any real power or virtue of its own, or whether it's just a form of
> making rules rather than living by faith and trust.

      Perhaps it is a form of making rules. But when laws are passed against
  you, this might seem the mose proper way to protect what you regard as
 precious. Mixed with faith and trust, this could be a credible reaction.
  Though I know the Lord forbids murder, I often wonder what I would do
  if my childrens lives were threatened. Would I attempt to free them through
  any means (violence, killing the attacker???) or would I trust them to
  the Lord through faith. Many times GOD requires faith and trust TO BE
  ACCOMPANIED with action.

> Doug

B. Benning

[Interestingly, the argument that "we are not harming anyone" is not
one I recall being proposed in this group by Christian homosexuals.  I
don't know whether you're seriously suggesting that laws against
homosexuality should be retained because of health consequences.  If
so, you might want to think very carefully about the implications of
that type of argument.  Perhaps the state should endorse homosexual
marriage, on the grounds that AIDS is a consequence of promiscuity,
not homosexuality per se, and encouraging homosexuals to have stable
monogamous relationships would decrease the amount of trouble.  --clh]

gchin@eng.sun.com (Gary Chin) (02/11/91)

In article <Feb.6.03.02.40.1991.25888@athos.rutgers.edu>, DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu (Doug Sewell) writes:
> It's becoming more common for Christians to attempt (through boycotts
> or legislation) to impose their moral standards on nonbelievers.

Laws don't prevent sin, they point out sin.  I believe
that if something is against the law, more people will
recognize that society doesn't encourage that kind of
activity.

It makes sense to right one wrong at a time.  If
I disapprove of something that is contrary to God's laws,
I should let my government representatives know about it.

> Whenever I see this happening, I wonder if the Christianity they practice
> has any real power or virtue of its own, or whether it's just a form of
> making rules rather than living by faith and trust.

I live by faith in Jesus, and I want my community to
know about it.  While I am here, I am a witness for
Christ.

Gary

marlatt@spot.Colorado.EDU (MARLATT STUART WARREN) (02/11/91)

In article <Feb.6.03.02.40.1991.25888@athos.rutgers.edu> DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu (Doug Sewell) writes:
>It's becoming more common for Christians to attempt (through boycotts
>or legislation) to impose their moral standards on nonbelievers.
>
>What are we trying to say:
>
>(1) If they won't repent, then at least we won't allow them to sin.
>    (this is the way many non-believers take it)
>
>(2) I detest xxxxx particular sin(s), so I don't want anyone sinning that
>    way around me (this sounds like bigotry, not Christianity, and
>    gives the impression that some sins are "worse" than others).
>
>(3) I don't like to be tempted with this sin, nor do I want my family
>    to face this temptation, so I'm going to put it out-of-sight (it's
>    not a sin to be tempted).
>
>(4) something else ?
>
>Whenever I see this happening, I wonder if the Christianity they practice
>has any real power or virtue of its own, or whether it's just a form of
>making rules rather than living by faith and trust.
>
>Doug

I will not argue that the motivations behind may of these efforts are those
you have listed above - and I agree, these are poor motivations for attempting
to institute social change. I am of the persuasion that a heirarchy of sin
is more or less a human invention (ie, if we break the law at one point,
we are guilt of breaking the whole law). Also, avoidance of a group
of sinful behavior does not equate with salvation - cleaning up the
outside of the vessel does not make it a new vessel.

Having said that, let me change side and argue for morality-based
social change. That being that such actions may be profitable not
because they lead individuals to salvation (indeed, they may not), but
because openly accepted immoral practices may be destructive to a
society at large. Thus I may, for example, work to limit the traffic
of pornography not because I find it offensive and therefore feel that
you should not have access to it, but rather because I feel that it
has a cause-effect relationship with say violence toward women. Hence
the issue of whether or not I am living by faith vs. by rules is
not relevant.

--
s.w. marlatt  <>< and *(:-)

kbowman@eng.auburn.edu (Kevin Bowman) (02/11/91)

In article <Feb.6.03.02.40.1991.25888@athos.rutgers.edu> DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu (Doug Sewell) writes:
>It's becoming more common for Christians to attempt (through boycotts
>or legislation) to impose their moral standards on nonbelievers.
>
>What are we trying to say:
>
>(1) If they won't repent, then at least we won't allow them to sin.
>    (this is the way many non-believers take it)
>
>(2) I detest xxxxx particular sin(s), so I don't want anyone sinning that
>    way around me (this sounds like bigotry, not Christianity, and
>    gives the impression that some sins are "worse" than others).
>
>(3) I don't like to be tempted with this sin, nor do I want my family
>    to face this temptation, so I'm going to put it out-of-sight (it's
>    not a sin to be tempted).
>
>(4) something else ?
>
>Whenever I see this happening, I wonder if the Christianity they practice
>has any real power or virtue of its own, or whether it's just a form of
>making rules rather than living by faith and trust.
>
>Doug
>--

You are addressing an admittedly  difficult question.  There are, however, some important points to consider.  Some moral standard will be imposed on other
people whether it be christian or otherwise.  Where the German Christians
during the Hitler regime wrong in demanding that Jews not be discriminated
against?  If it be true that we live under transcendent moral norms then I can
not help but believe that they should required by all people, Christian or
otherwise.

The relevant question is what role does the state have in enforcing Divinely
given precepts?  For example:

"Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted amoung men
.... who are sent to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do
right" (I Peter 2:13,14)

This implies to me that we as Christians should work to have our our
governmental bodies reflect this above mentioned function.  In deference to the
spirit of your letter I would note that no where in the New Testament is there
any command that we should attempt to enforce subscription to the gospel
through governmental bodies.  But this *does not* mean that a government is
free to repudiate their God-given responsibilities to uphold justice and order.

Kevin Bowman (kbowman@eng.auburn.edu)

Two Foundational Facts of Human Enlightenment:
1.  There is a God
2.  You are not Him

mib@geech.ai.mit.edu (Michael I Bushnell) (02/14/91)

In article <Feb.10.20.00.05.1991.20291@athos.rutgers.edu> math1h3@jetson.uh.edu writes:

   This is a good question.  It seems particularly relevant to the discussion
   Re: ACLU (cases) in t.r.m., on whether a man can refuse to rent housing
   to an unmarried couple who apparently intend to use it for fornication.

One minor question.  How do you "use" a house for fornication.  I can
understand using a house to live in, or to entertain guests, or to
escape rain, or such, but it seems completely unimportant to having
sex.  The real question you are asking is not "will you rent a house
if it will be used for fornication" but "will you rent a house to
people who fornicate."  There is a world of difference between these
two.

   I think some christians think morality first, Christ second.  We
   might think of someone, 'Well at least they are good people' meaning
   that they are kind, loving, good parents, faithful in marriage, or
   celibately single, etc.  We might feel relieved when a couple that
   has been living together decides to get married.  But the fact is that
   without faith in Christ, they must be cast into the eternal lake of
   fire on the day of judgement.  How can we keep silent about that?

indeed, if you would not rent to an unmarried couple, would you rent
to a jewish family?  Historically, many have said no.  Those who might
refuse the first need to consider the logical extension of their
ideas: that *anyone* who does seen as contrary to the Gospel needs to
be repressed.  Since we all may differ about just what the Gospel is,
we need to avoid that repression.  Paul said as much in the letter to
the Galatians, and we'd be wise to start listening.

	-mib

In article <Feb.10.20.12.39.1991.20355@athos.rutgers.edu> abvax!iccgcc.DNET!benning@uunet.uu.net writes:

     Doug. Perhaps this is a result of being forced to swallow the "new-
     morality" of this present generation, which is:

     - God doesn't exist
     - If God doesn't exist, man can define what is right and wrong.
     - If someone says what you do is wrong, fund a lobby to put into law
       what you do.It is a "personal choice" and part of my freedom of
       expression as an American.
     - If it feels good then do it.

   An example:
       A group from the gay community marched on Washington and had many
       speakers. One speaker called for an end to sodomy laws. He
       said what two consulting adults do in private can NOT be legislated.
       "We are not harming anyone with our actions..." went the claim.

I grew up in an environment which did great harm to me, simply because
I am gay.  That same environment has hurt thousands of others, and
drives people away from Christ even today.  If the issue is "who is
hurting who" (which I don't think it is), then please consider that I
and my brothers and sisters have been immeasurably hurt, by an
environment which claims to represent God's love to the world.

    Okay. Maybe he is right.
       Then the next speaker gets up and demands more federal money for
       AIDS research to save the lives of those dying of this illness.

Indeed.  A Christian response is to help those who are suffering
regardless of why they suffer.  Thumbs up for that speaker.

    Hey wait.  I though what two (or more) adults did in private wasn't
     going to effect me. Now they want more money (which I agree the money
     is needed) to cure an illness spread through the intimacy of these
     individuals while in the privacy of there own home. Sounds like wanting
     to eat the cake and have it also. That federal money comes from you and
     me. So if more is needed for AIDS research, we help pay for it.

What two people do in private has nothing to do with AIDS.  Gay sex
certainly doesn't cause AIDS; and it only spreads it if people are
promiscuous and/or unsafe.  This implies that the best response is to
spread information about safer sex practices.  As OFM pointed out, it
also indicates that gay people should be encouraged to enter long-term
committed relationships.

It also implies that we should encourage women to have sex exclusively
with other women, because lesbian sex (promiscuous or not) is by its
very nature far less susceptible to disease spread than straight or
gay male sex.

   An example:
       I Tell my children that the Bible TEACHES that homosexuality is sin.
       And those who claim to be, are no different than adulterers or one who
       sleeps with their sister. It is rebelion against God and through Jesus
       bringing you new life through faith, you can overcome the sin, and live
       a "normal" life of "normal" God given relations with the opposite sex.

And just this has damaged, and continues to damage, thousands of
people daily.  Day in, and day out, year in, and year out, this idea
is thrust forth, masquerading as love, and asking me and my sisters
and brothers to hate ourselves.  We've discussed on this newsgroup
before whether the Bible does teach that, and I don't want to do so
again.  Suffice it to say that I am damaged, and by this idea, and by
those who promulgate it.

    THEN, Television tells my children dad is an old fashion dope. The Schools
    WANT TO open a gay-awareness SUPPORT OFFICE TO TELL school age boys that
    it is okay AND NORMAL to want sex with the quarterback. Dad gets hit with
    a civil right law suit and is forced to work the AIDS floor at the local
    hospital because the Judge thinks it will help Dad respect other people
    more than he did before.

Is that what really happens?  Television, aside from a few isolated
lights, is certainly not supportive of gay people.  What that school
office is doing is teaching those kids that they are loved, that they
are not alone, and that they should not hate themselves.  What you are
trying to teach them is that love is conditional upon sexual
preference, that they are alone and without peers, and that they
should hate themselves.  While your love may indeed be so conditional,
God's is not.

    No. I think what you see as just a reaction of having Imorality shoved
    down the throats of Christians, through TV, movies, Schools, public
    figures (even elected representatives) who have attacked the moral
    characters of believers.

What I do does not effect your "moral character".  If the Reformers
were right, we have no moral character at all, but rather an automatic
opposition to God and God's will.  To claim that only straight people
can be acceptable to God is remarkably similar to claiming that only
those who are circumcised can be acceptable to God.  The OT certainly
is filled with statements about "the uncircumcised", and there is the
overall conception that the uncircumcised are not acceptable to God.
Paul was marking a serious change by saying that circumcision, a
fundamental part of morality for the Jew, was not important.

    Granted, If we did it right, we would do it through the power of God
    as the first believers did. But Lord help us, we do what we can. In America
    I would say there is freedom of religion, but don't practice it outside
    of your home. It has been made illegal (in my opinion).

Not at all.  Rather, it is illegal to impose religion on those who
don't want it.  And labelling evolution or gay rights as a religion is
obscurantism, pure and simple, and conducive only to still more hate.

     Perhaps it is a form of making rules. But when laws are passed
     against you, this might seem the mose proper way to protect what
     you regard as precious. Mixed with faith and trust, this could be
     a credible reaction.  Though I know the Lord forbids murder, I
     often wonder what I would do if my childrens lives were
     threatened. Would I attempt to free them through any means
     (violence, killing the attacker???) or would I trust them to the
     Lord through faith. Many times GOD requires faith and trust TO BE
     ACCOMPANIED with action.

Tell me, how on earth does my right to have sex consitute a law passed
against you?  On the other hand, a law prohibiting me from having sex
*is* a law against me.  I have been hurt too much to be told that my
desire for simple civil rights is damaging to you.  Many said the same
thing to civil rights leaders in the sixties, and have rightly been
denounced as promulgators of hate, no different from the hate forced
daily upon gay people in the name of Christ.  The church which fosters
such ideas is corrupt and morally bankrupt, and in the words of my
pastor, I consider myself a walking miracle for having endured it thus
far.

	-mib

lindborg@cs.washington.edu (Jeff Lindborg) (02/14/91)

In article <Feb.10.20.13.19.1991.20371@athos.rutgers.edu> gchin@eng.sun.com (Gary Chin) writes:
>In article <Feb.6.03.02.40.1991.25888@athos.rutgers.edu>, DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu (Doug Sewell) writes:
>> It's becoming more common for Christians to attempt (through boycotts
>> or legislation) to impose their moral standards on nonbelievers.

>Laws don't prevent sin, they point out sin.

I don't beieve any law was ever passed that had anything to do with the
sinnful nature of the act in question.  'Sin' is a religious concept and
term and is, to my knowledge, not used in legal procedings.

>I believe
>that if something is against the law, more people will
>recognize that society doesn't encourage that kind of
>activity.

True.  But making something illegal is not always the best way
to handle the situation (take prohibition, for instance).

>It makes sense to right one wrong at a time.  If
>I disapprove of something that is contrary to God's laws,
>I should let my government representatives know about it.

Unfortunately we are not a theocracy... we are a democracy with a strict
separation of church and State (if Pain had his way there would be
much more than mere 'separation'.)
   If Christianity were suddenly surpassed by, oh, say, Islam as the
dominate religion in this contry, would you feel it was ok for the
Islamics to pass laws based on their conception of what 'god' tells
them is right and wrong?  Oh, me thinks not!  The same line of reasoning
applies to what you are saying.  You arrogantly assume that the
inherent truth of your possition is self evident to everyone willing
to look.  It is not and the Christian history on morality is shakey
at best.  The Old Testament (or the Tanak... I'm a equal opportunity
agnostic...) is FILLED with things sanctioned by God (Yahweh) that
would cause outrage by today's standards.  For instance God gives
Moses several laws pertaining to the treatment of slaves (such as if
you beat your slave too hard and he dies... its ok because he was
your property to begin with).  E-Gads!
    Don't piosly sit there and try and tell me Christinity and the Bible
stand for morality and what is 'good' and 'right' for everyone.  Some of
us are moral on our own with no threat of punishment in the afterlife
necessary to motivate us.

>> Whenever I see this happening, I wonder if the Christianity they practice
>> has any real power or virtue of its own, or whether it's just a form of
>> making rules rather than living by faith and trust.
>
>I live by faith in Jesus, and I want my community to
>know about it.  While I am here, I am a witness for
>Christ.

Being a witness is fine... I encourage you to show us what a good
Christian should be.  But I draw the line when you start to try and
make us be what you consider to be a good Christian through the
ledgislation of laws that affect everyone.

>Gary

Jeff Lindborg

"I support your right to believe as you like as long as you limit the
practice of those beliefs to yourself."

BINDNER@auvm.auvm.edu (02/14/91)

Group,

Imposed moral behavior is coercion, not moral behavior (which must come
from a free conscience, the same way belief must).  In a free society
(such as ours) the ideal is for law to protect the innocent against
violence.  To go beyond this invites tyranny by the majority against
the individual and the minority.  Being Christian does not prevent a society
from practicing tyranny (religious extremism is among the worst kinds and
invites God's most severe punishments).  Examples of such tyranny are the
crusades, the conversion of Gaul by the sword, the Inquisition, the
religious wars of the early modern age, the Isalmic revolution in Iran,
the persecution of Arabs in Isreal, violence in India and Pakistan, the
Pogroms of Russia and Eastern Europe, the Holocost.  All of these persecuters
felt empowered by God to commit these acts.  I don't think God likes his
name used by these people for hate.  The reason we have a free (and yes,
secular) society is to avoid these extremes.  Though we don't always live up
to the ideal (sodomy laws - WITHIN MARRAIGE, Know Nothing Party against
Catholics) we have come the closest so far.

Remember, the persecutions came about because the state religion of
Rome felt threatenned by the new Christianity.  This after the Church
had taught submission to civil authority (quite ironically).  Considering
what happenned after the quote I'd take it with a grain of salt and use
it in the context of rendering unto Ceasar.  Remember, Christ also said
"put not your faith in princes."  The idea of forcing moral behavior on
non-believers is anathema to Christ.  He even objected to the
Pharasee party who did it in a religious context, for "the letter of the
law killith, the spirit givith life."  The purpose of a moral life is not
to get into heaven, but to LIVE HAPPILY ON EARTH.  For remember, Christ said
"MY YOLK IS EASY, AND MY BURDEN IS LIGHT."  Keeping the commandments is a
guide to avoid experiencing pain, and causing pain to others.  To assure
ones self a place in heaven one must go farther than simple morality.  If
you're really serious about holiness sell all that you have and follow
Him.  Forsake material excess and spend your life doing his work among
sinners.  Then you can be satisfied.  Until then, don't impose your morality
on others.  If you wish to save them, do it through example.  Show them
that the moral life produces happiness on earth.  You may lead them to
Christ in this way.

Michael

P.S.  On the post about not renting to fornicators.  In many juridictions
fornication is an illegal activity.  Most leases are broken by conducting
unlawful behavior.  However, to not rent for this reason is to do the
work of Ceasar, not of Christ.  Christ would probably rent the room.

merlyn@digibd.com (Brian Westley (Merlyn LeRoy)) (02/18/91)

abvax!iccgcc.DNET!benning@uunet.uu.net writes:
>An example:
>    I Tell my children that the Bible TEACHES that homosexuality is sin.
>    And those who claim to be, are no different than adulterers or one who
>    sleeps with their sister. It is rebelion against God and through Jesus
>    bringing you new life through faith, you can overcome the sin, and live
>    a "normal" life of "normal" God given relations with the opposite sex.
> THEN, Television tells my children dad is an old fashion dope. The Schools
> WANT TO open a gay-awareness SUPPORT OFFICE TO TELL school age boys that
> it is okay AND NORMAL to want sex with the quarterback. Dad gets hit with
> a civil right law suit and is forced to work the AIDS floor at the local
> hospital because the Judge thinks it will help Dad respect other people
> more than he did before.

How does Dad get hit with a civil right law suit?  He has a right to
tell his children that homosexuality, sex with someone of another race,
eating lobster, or going to a Catholic church is a sin; any lawyer will
tell you that.  Who could possibly have standing to file a civil rights
suit against him?

I thought this thread would discuss what the subject implies; imposing
Christian morality on non-believers, such as laws against homosexuality,
laws against sex with someone of another race (not too popular now,
but common a few years ago), eating lobster (read Leviticus), or going
to a Catholic church (not possible since the 1st and 14th amendments were
passed).

Should we ban alcohol and allow polygamy, to follow Islam?  How will
good Catholics get Communion wine?

Should we allow alcohol and ban polygamy, to follow Catholicism?  How
can a good Muslim marry his deceased brother's wife if he is already
married?

I'll tell you what; if you can show how my actions harm you, we
can probably agree (to some extent) how such harmful actions can
be restricted.

If you can only argue that my actions spiritually harm me, or
offend your god, or harm "society" (the only part of society I'm harming
is me unless you can show otherwise; then it becomes the first case),
let me & god worry about that.  He can always send in the odd lightning
bolt if I get too uppity.

Until then, I think eating lobster, homosexuality, going to a Catholic
church, sex with a member of another race, polygamy, alcohol, peyote,
and teaching your children that any or all of these are forbidden (or
required) should be legal.

---
Merlyn LeRoy

crf@tomato.princeton.edu (Charles Ferenbaugh) (02/18/91)

In article <Feb.14.07.03.14.1991.23265@athos.rutgers.edu> mib@geech.ai.mit.edu (Michael I Bushnell) writes:
>In article <Feb.10.20.12.39.1991.20355@athos.rutgers.edu> abvax!iccgcc.DNET!benning@uunet.uu.net writes:
>       I Tell my children that the Bible TEACHES that homosexuality is sin.
>       And those who claim to be, are no different than adulterers or one who
>       sleeps with their sister. It is rebelion against God and through Jesus
>       bringing you new life through faith, you can overcome the sin, and live
>       a "normal" life of "normal" God given relations with the opposite sex.
>
>And just this has damaged, and continues to damage, thousands of
>people daily.  Day in, and day out, year in, and year out, this idea
>is thrust forth, masquerading as love, and asking me and my sisters
>and brothers to hate ourselves.  ...

Not quite.  There are two different things being spoken of here:
1.  the assertion that homosexuality is sin
2.  the assertion that because of #1, homosexuals should be severely judged

Remember that Jesus kept these two things distinct.  If you read
"prostitutes" or "tax-collectors" in place of "homosexuals" above, then
His attitude becomes clear:  He never hesitated to love the "sinners," but
He could always say to them, "Go and sin no more" - and, because of His
radical love for them, they went and sinned no more!  Although we have no
records of His ever encountering a homosexual (who in all probability would
have been shunned by Jewish society just as the prostitutes were), I strongly
suspect His approach would be similar.

If I may try to summarize, Michael is apparently saying this:  in the past
people who say homosexuality is a sin have used this as a reason for hatred;
this hatred has been very damaging to homosexuals and produced just the
opposite effect of Christian love.  So far I agree completely.  But Michael
seems to go on to imply that because of all this we as Christians cannot
consider homosexuality as wrong; with this part I disagree completely.
Homosexuality is a sin; but then, so are fornication, adultery, jealousy,
stealing, murder, pride, coldness of heart, and many other things.  Jesus loves
us despite our sins, and through that love calls _all_ of us to turn from
_all_ kinds of sin; if only we could show that same kind of love!

Grace and peace,

Charles Ferenbaugh

[No, that's not quite what is being said.  Most homosexual Christians
operate from the perspective that homosexuality is a basic character
trait about which the person has no choice.  As such you can't say "go
and be homosexual no more".  But this is the approach that most of the
Church has taken.  If someone who is homosexual accepts this
instruction, they find it impossible to comply, and quite often end up
considering themselves worthless.  Of course the Christians who object
to homosexuality do not accept this analysis.  They regard it as
equivalent to a thief claiming that his desires are a built-in thief
orientation.  It appears that this differences in perspective is a
basic one, on which arguments have almost no impact.  This tends to
result in discussions that are less productive than usual.  --clh]

ta00est@unccvax.uncc.edu (elizabeth s tallant) (02/18/91)

In article <Feb.14.07.03.14.1991.23265@athos.rutgers.edu>, mib@geech.ai.mit.edu (Michael I Bushnell) writes:
> In article <Feb.10.20.12.39.1991.20355@athos.rutgers.edu> abvax!iccgcc.DNET!benning@uunet.uu.net writes:
>

> I grew up in an environment which did great harm to me, simply because
> I am gay.  That same environment has hurt thousands of others, and
> drives people away from Christ even today.  If the issue is "who is
> hurting who" (which I don't think it is), then please consider that I
> and my brothers and sisters have been immeasurably hurt, by an
> environment which claims to represent God's love to the world.

Before I begin, I will state that I believe it is possible for someone
who has participated in homosexual activity to be forgiven and to become
a Christian.  I also believe that it is possible for that same person
to backslide into his/her sinful behavior.  Even so, that same person
is still a Christian.

As I have posted from a variety of Bible verses, the Bible shows that
homosexuality is a sin.  If you participate in homosexual behavior, you
are committing a sin.  Christ has said that "...you cannot serve God
and mammon."  Therefore, you simply cannot continue to fill your lustful
desires and serve God.  You must choose between the two.  You cannot
be a practicing Christian and committ homosexual acts.  The two are
contradictory.

The Bible also teaches that sin separates you from God.  In addition,
it tells us that when a member of a church is living a sinful life
and refuses to repent and after numerous attempts by Christians, then
that person should be excommunicated from the church.

So, when you committ sins, you will not only be far away from God, but
God has ordered that when the sins reach an extreme, you should be
excommunicated.  Also, while we are told to leave the judgement of the
heathen to God, we are told to rebuke our brother/sister.

Therefore, it is the sinner who has cut himself off from God.  Do not
blame those who are following God's will in rebuking you.

Elizabeth

kbowman@eng.auburn.edu (Kevin Bowman) (02/19/91)

In article <Feb.14.07.04.49.1991.23297@athos.rutgers.edu> lindborg@cs.washington.edu (Jeff Lindborg) writes:
>In article <Feb.10.20.13.19.1991.20371@athos.rutgers.edu> gchin@eng.sun.com (Gary Chin) writes:
>>In article <Feb.6.03.02.40.1991.25888@athos.rutgers.edu>, DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu (Doug Sewell) writes:
>>> It's becoming more common for Christians to attempt (through boycotts
>>> or legislation) to impose their moral standards on nonbelievers.
>
>>Laws don't prevent sin, they point out sin.
>
>I don't beieve any law was ever passed that had anything to do with the
>sinnful nature of the act in question.  'Sin' is a religious concept and
>term and is, to my knowledge, not used in legal procedings.

It would be misleading to think that simply because the word `sin` is not
explicitly stated in legal proceedings that this concept has no place in legal
thought.  Laws are made to both regulate and instruct its citizens on what is
acceptable behavior within that society.  There is an implicit metaphysical
assumption that the nature of its citizens are such that they do in fact break
these laws and must therefore be restrained or they will continue to do so.
This metaphysical presupposition is called a `sinful nature' in Christian
terminology and is the reason that laws are passed.

>   If Christianity were suddenly surpassed by, oh, say, Islam as the
>dominate religion in this contry, would you feel it was ok for the
>Islamics to pass laws based on their conception of what 'god' tells
>them is right and wrong?  Oh, me thinks not!  The same line of reasoning
>applies to what you are saying.  You arrogantly assume that the
>inherent truth of your possition is self evident to everyone willing
>to look.

Rival conceptions of God in Christianity and Islam are not nearly as relevant
as by what basis one defines ethics and how that should be administered in
society.  How do we define what is acceptable and inacceptable behavior?
During Hitler's, Stalin's, and Pol Pot's respective reigns the meaning of
ethics and the value of human life were vastly different than those considered
by most in Western Society.  Their conception of ethics were primarily derived
from the notion that man is the automonous arbitrater of what is right and wrong
, i.e what is moral. Can any human stand and arrogantly tell another what is
right or wrong? Man starting from himself (an agnostic) cannot give any
philosophically compelling reason why anyone should be ethical if they don't want to be.  But  the theist recognizes from the revelation of God that we are
responsible to someone higher than ourselves and can not simply do what we wish
either to ourselves or to someone else.

There also seems to be this idea that seperation of Church and State is anti-
thetical to the basic tenets of Christianity.  This is not the case. Since
the destruction of Israel there has not been a theocracy nor will there be
one until the return of our Lord Jesus Christ.  Until then we live under
Gentile rule. A citizen of such a country is not required to adhere
to all of the theological tenets of Christianity because  that is not the
role that God has ordained for the state to fulfill.  This does not mean,
however, that a state is emancipated from God's decrees but must uphold
justice, peace, and order.  This means that while a state should not require
a citizen to pledge allegiance to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord it should
demand that a citizen not murder, rape,  steal,etc.  from his/her fellow neighbor.

>Being a witness is fine... I encourage you to show us what a good
>Christian should be.  But I draw the line when you start to try and
>make us be what you consider to be a good Christian through the
>ledgislation of laws that affect everyone.
>
>Jeff Lindborg

Should we then allow Jeff Lindborg to legislate what *he* thinks is
moral and just on everyone else.  It is a prevalent myth that the laws
that we have today are somehow morally `neutral` and are
`self-evident` to everyone.  We must decide whose morality we are
going to enforce on others, not if.  I realize that my theistic
presuppositions are at variance with what others believe.  But I have
seen no reason to give mine up and accept someone else's, agnostic or
otherwise.

Kevin Bowman

DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu (Doug Sewell) (02/19/91)

I see my original posting has degenerated into an argument about homo-
sexuality... we just had that debate a few months ago, to no conclusion.

Here's another example:

  Christians urge boycott of a convenience store chain that carries Pent-
  house (In Ohio, one convenience store chain took a vote from its cust-
  omers about these magazines.  The ballots were overwhelmingly in favor
  of keeping the magazines).

One of the problems I see with legislating morality (besides the questions
I posed originally), was that it looks to me like we're trying to make
ourselves comfortable in this world, rather than preparing for the next.
Are we laying up the wrong treasures ?

Also, many of the christians attacking these "ungodly practices" seem
to offer nothing positive about their faith, except to say that "I'm
a christian, so I don't approve of ...., and I'm going to try to stamp
it out".

Jesus had compassion for sinners, and offered them a life in exchange.
His harshest condemnation was for pharisees that imposed rules on
others, when they weren't sinless.  Some of the christians I have
watched in action would be reaching for rocks when Jesus said "Let
him who is without sin cast the first stone."

Doug
--
Doug Sewell, Tech Support, Computer Center,         doug@ysub.bitnet
Youngstown State University, Youngstown,  OH 44555  doug@ysub.ysu.edu

mib@geech.ai.mit.edu (Michael I Bushnell) (02/19/91)

In article <Feb.17.23.27.29.1991.21530@athos.rutgers.edu> ta00est@unccvax.uncc.edu (elizabeth s tallant) writes:

   Before I begin, I will state that I believe it is possible for someone
   who has participated in homosexual activity to be forgiven and to become
   a Christian.  I also believe that it is possible for that same person
   to backslide into his/her sinful behavior.  Even so, that same person
   is still a Christian.

Well, I'm glad that you don't deny my Christianity.  At least, not
yet.

   As I have posted from a variety of Bible verses, the Bible shows that
   homosexuality is a sin.  If you participate in homosexual behavior, you
   are committing a sin.  Christ has said that "...you cannot serve God
   and mammon."  Therefore, you simply cannot continue to fill your lustful
   desires and serve God.  You must choose between the two.  You cannot
   be a practicing Christian and committ homosexual acts.  The two are
   contradictory.

Ah, well, you do know indicate that I'm not Christian.  At least, not
*really*.  Hmm.  Can you be a Christian and commit any sin at all?
Further, how dare you tell me that I "fill my lustful desires"?  Do
you have any biographic information upon which to base that statement?

You haven't quoted *any* scripture, at least not in this posting.  If
you did so previously, I must have missed it.  It's up to OFM if he
wants to tolerate that discussion again.  However, let me state that I
do *not* find the quotations you are likely to present as in any way
prohibitive of all gay sexual acts.

Finally, note that it is perfectly possible to be homosexual and not
have sex at all.

   The Bible also teaches that sin separates you from God.  In addition,
   it tells us that when a member of a church is living a sinful life
   and refuses to repent and after numerous attempts by Christians, then
   that person should be excommunicated from the church.

Indeed.  If my church chooses to exclude me, so be it.  I recognize
their right to do so.  But I believe that such exclusion is not
exclusion from the grace of God or from fellowship with Christ.  I can
find a group of Christians who are accepting.

   So, when you committ sins, you will not only be far away from God, but
   God has ordered that when the sins reach an extreme, you should be
   excommunicated.  Also, while we are told to leave the judgement of the
   heathen to God, we are told to rebuke our brother/sister.

You can rebuke me, but you must grant me the right of rebuttal and
give me due charity.  If you will not take my statements at face
value, then there is no basis for discussion.  How to you reply to my
assertion that being gay is an inalterable fact of personality?  Your
statements offer no alternative but celibacy.  Is that your true
belief, or do you contest (with no experience upon which to do so)
that sexuality cannot be changed?

   Therefore, it is the sinner who has cut himself off from God.  Do not
   blame those who are following God's will in rebuking you.

Ah, I don't blame you.  I merely ask that you give me due credit.

	-mib

Jeremy.Gibbons@prg.oxford.ac.uk (Jeremy Gibbons) (02/25/91)

ta00est@unccvax.uncc.edu (elizabeth s tallant) writes

> You cannot be a practicing Christian and committ homosexual acts.  The two
> are contradictory.

Does this just apply to homosexual acts? What's so special about them? Or
do all sins preclude me from being a practicing Christian? I knew that
church numbers were falling, but I didn't realise that there were *no*
practicing Christians!

Jeremy

*-----------------------------------------------------------------------*
|  Jeremy.Gibbons@prg.oxford.ac.uk      PRG, 11 Keble Road, Oxford, UK  |
*-----------------------------------------------------------------------*

sc1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Stephen Chan) (02/28/91)

>   Your line of reasoning is muddled at best.
	Let's analyse this, shall we??

	I say:

	1) The law should reflect the will of the people
	2) Some of the people are Christians
		therefore
	3) Christians should have a right to try to influence the law

	Not very muddled at all, you see.

	You say:
	1) The law should reflect principles of innocence and guilt
	2) Christians have ideas of innocence and guilt based on religion
	3) Our government mandates a seperation of Church and State
	4) Allowing Christians to influence the law is equivalent to
having a theocracy.
	5) A theocracy is a a violation of the "seperation of Church
and State".
		THEREFORE
	6) Therefore Christians should have no influence over the law
and just let the atheists and agnostics decide what is right and wrong
in society.

	Your argument falls apart entirely on point #4. Allowing
Christians to influence to the government does not constitute a
theocracy. It is merely granting to Christians the same rights which
are available to all US citizens. Christians have to face the
same checks and balances which any other group must face; they do not
have an a priori right to change the law.

Lindborg:
>No, I didn't.  I said that laws based on your belief in God and what
>you believe that god tells you (through the bible, I assume) are not
>appropriate in our legal system.  You have, of course, heard of the
>separation of the church and state?

	The seperation of Church and State means that the government
will not impose it's will on the Church (in the way that the English
government chooses who gets to be the Archbishop of Canterbury) and that
the Church will not impose its will on the government (such as
historically when the RC Church had control of over most European
governments)

	You seem to claim that religious conviction is an invalid
source for law. Well then, I ask you "What does constitute a valid
source for law?"
	If you're not a total cynic, you might say that laws should be
made according to our collective moral consciences. It so happens that
religion is a deciding factor in the moral consciences of many people.
Are we somehow bereft of the basic rights of citizenship if we base our beliefs
on religion? This seems to be what you are claiming, which is why I
say that you are arrogant.
	The people who are arguing for legal changes based on religion
are going through the proper channels. They are in no way abrogating
the Constitution of the United States in their activities (for the
most part).
	The legal system should reflect the consciences of its
citizens, and it is in no way compromised if the citizens have
Christian mores, and the law reflects this.

>Laws should be made to protect
>the innocent, not to expound your beliefs in your god.

	Sounds good rhetorically - too bad it has no basis in what's
*really* happening right now.
	Are any mainstream Christian groups trying to replace the
Pledge of Allegiance with the Nicene Creed?

	No one is trying to legislate faith. People are trying to
bring the law in line with their concepts of morality. This is the
right of every US Citizen, be they agnostic, Christian, Marxist, Democrat,
Libertarian, Skinheads, etc...
	A law based on Christian morality is not an endorsement of
faith in God - it is an endorsement of government's accountability to
its citizenship - some of which happen to be Christian.

	Stephen Chan

djdaneh@pacbell.com (Dan'l DanehyOakes) (02/28/91)

ta00est@unccvax.uncc.edu (elizabeth s tallant) writes

> You cannot be a practicing Christian and committ homosexual acts.  The two
> are contradictory.

No, dear heart.  They are not.  Christ does not expect us to be sinless.

What Christ expects from us is to examine our own lives, and try to find the
sin in them, and confess and repent that sin, and then re-examine our lives and
find the sin that's *still* there, etc., in a process that (barring Divine
intervention) can never be truly complete in this life.

Christ expects that, as we are imperfect, fallen beings, we will commit some
sinful acts.  He expects that, as soon as we have realized that they are
sinful, we will repent them.

Christ also expects us not to judge one another.

This next paragraph must be read very carefully, elizabeth (do you really spell
it with no caps?); for it is *not* directed as a slam at you.  I do not judge
you; I do not know what your motivations in the above-quoted comment are.

I suggest that a gay whose acts -- however sinful they may be, and I do not know
whether they are or not -- are committed in honest and charitable love with his
or her partner may be much closer to the Holy Spirit than a professing Christian
whose preachments at gays come not out of love for them but out of hate for
them.  I personally think it better for Christians to avoid making such
preachments until they are absolutely certain their minds and hearts are clear
of any such hate, because we must be right with our brothers before offering
sacrifice.

ALLEN@mscf.med.upenn.edu (03/01/91)

In article <Feb.26.04.35.00.1991.12964@athos.rutgers.edu>
lieuwen@mycella.cs.wisc.edu (Dan Lieuwen) writes about homosexuality:
	Even if it is a basic character trait, that does not imply a
	person has no choice about actions.
	[...]
	A person has the ability to choose not to perform a given
	action, although it may be difficult.  Despite our society's
	best efforts to the contrary, there are many Christian (and
	Muslim and Orthodox Jewish) people in this country who
	practice continence until married.  Some Christians choose
	celibacy for life.  I doubt any of these people find this an
	easy thing to do.

   This is where your analogy breaks down.  Some Christians *choose*
celibacy, but the church, if it accepts a homosexual orientation,
often *requires* celibacy from homosexuals.  I think that homosexuals
should be free to choose whether or not to be celibate.

   One interpretation of the creation story in Genesis is that the
Creator created Eve as a helpmate/companion for Adam.  People who
would require homosexuals to be celibate are denying them the joy of
having such a helpmate/companion.

   Finally, it is illegal for homosexuals to get married (unless one
of them happens to be a Danish citizen).  Requiring them to be
celibate until marriage is equivalent to requiring them to be
celibate.

--
John Allen        allen@mscf.med.upenn.edu               ---
B4/5 f t w s(-) k r                                     /| *\

mib@churchy.ai.mit.edu (Michael I Bushnell) (03/01/91)

In article <Feb.27.00.25.02.1991.8893@athos.rutgers.edu> sc1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Stephen Chan) writes:

   mib@geech.ai.mit.edu (Michael I Bushnell) writes:
   > Indeed.  If my church chooses to exclude me, so be it.  I recognize
   > their right to do so.  But I believe that such exclusion is not
   > exclusion from the grace of God or from fellowship with Christ.  I can
   > find a group of Christians who are accepting.

	   That last sentence seems to be a very damaging exposition of
   your relationship to religion: you seem to imply that religion serves
   to vindicate your own beliefs about right and wrong. Do you actually
   *follow* a set of beliefs, or do you fish around until you find one
   that accomodates you?

I don't claim to follow a set of beliefs, rather, I claim to follow a
person, the one man Christ.  If a church were to exclude me for
reasons relating to sexual orientation, I would conclude that they
were sufficiently distant from Christ in that respect that I would be
comfortable finding another congregation.  The "office of the keys",
given so much attention by the Roman church and by the Reformers,
refers to just this ability of a church.  If I were excluded, I would
certainly consider the matter very carefully.  The statements of my
church *do* carry considerable weight with me, and I don't dismiss
them lightly, if I do at all.

	   The sentence before that includes "fellowship with Christ".
   Are you his follower, or his equal? The demands of following Christ
   are quite well known, we don't get to introduce exceptions or loopholes.

One of the particularly nice things about Christianity, as it happens,
is that following Christ is the same as being his friend.  Did I say
equal?  No.  I said "fellowship".  I am his fellow, his brother, an
adopted son of God.  The words are Paul's, not mine.  I'm not trying
to introduce exceptions or loopholes.  If you believe that then you
will begin to understand what I'm saying here.

	   Homosexuality, in orthodox jewish teaching, is wrong. It
   is also wrong in traditional Christian morality. If you're trying to
   argue that homosexuality is not a sin (in the context of
   Christianity), then you'll have to overturn not only 2000 years of
   Christian teaching, but also another ~2000 years of Hebrew teaching too.

I'm more than willing to essentially disregard orthodox Jewish
teaching about morality.  Equally abhorent in the Torah is the wearing
of clothes made with more than one color of fiber.  Do you do that?

The "traditional Christian morality" you claim is anything but that.
Persecution of gay people started in about the 13th century AD.  Prior
to that, there is no evidence of any widespread harm done to gay
people throughout Christendom, nor any widespread consensus on the
morality of gay people.

Also, note that homosexuality is not the same as gay sex.  It is
possible to be homosexual and never have gay sex, and it is possible
to be heterosexual and never have straight sex.

   >How to you reply to my
   >assertion that being gay is an inalterable fact of personality?  Your
   >statements offer no alternative but celibacy.  Is that your true
   >belief, or do you contest (with no experience upon which to do so)
   >that sexuality cannot be changed?

	   Personality is not inalterable. In fact, being a good
   Christian entails constantly altering your personality to bring yourself
   closer to the ideal. Being a Christian isn't just a matter of going to
   church and professing faith in Christ. It implies an all pervasive
   change in attitudes, desires and actions.

I didn't say that "personality is inalterable".  I said that being gay
is inalterable.  You, again, fail to take me at my word.  This is the
antithesis of Christianity.  I have presented my experience, which you
have no data save dogma to oppose it with.

And, I'd like to turn this around.  Did this all-pervasive change
change your attitude toward homosexuality upon being a Christian, or
are your ideas essentially the same as they would be if you were a
non-Christian?  Most people I've met that oppose gay people would do
so regardless of whether they are a Christian or not.

	   If this is not done, then being a Christian has no more
   significance than joining a club, or entering a new social group.

	   Unfortunately, for many people, this seems to be the case.

You don't have to tell me this!  I'm the person who messes up too many
comfortable church meetings pointing out that the church is more than
another humanitarian social service group.

   >Ah, I don't blame you.  I merely ask that you give me due credit.

	   You have a right to your opinion. But the weight of tradition
   and experience makes your protests seem very hollow.

Where is the weight of experience?  Of tradition?  Have you any
documents attesting to this tradition?  Historians have detected a
marked shift in attitudes around the 13th century, but not before.
They have plenty of documents attesting to the widespread acceptance
of gay people prior to that, and to occasional vigorous debate.

	   Christians have a duty to show charity to everyone, sinners
   and saints alike. But if you profess to be a Christian, then you
   should struggle to avoid sin - not just shrug it off as a personality
   trait. The easy, comfortable road is the usually the sinful one.

You, AGAIN, miss the entire point.  I don't claim that homosexuality
is sinful, but that I can excuse it.  Rather, I claim that being gay
simply isn't a sin.  It isn't any more sinful that being left handed,
or eating with the left hand.  It just has nothing to do with sin.

And, how DARE you tell me that this is the "easy, comfortable road"?!
The history of persecution, of the murders of thousands of gay people
by bigots, of being excluded from the community claiming to show God's
love, you call that EASY?  It's not easy, it's very, very painful.  So
painful, in fact, that this will be my last post in this thread.
We're just not getting anywhere.

	-mib

lindborg@cs.washington.edu (Jeff Lindborg) (03/05/91)

In article <Feb.28.03.41.02.1991.9831@athos.rutgers.edu> sc1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Stephen Chan) writes:

>	1) The law should reflect the will of the people
>	2) Some of the people are Christians
>		therefore
>	3) Christians should have a right to try to influence the law

Fine... no agument there.  Lets see how you twist what I did say into
what you wanted me to say:

>	You say:
>	1) The law should reflect principles of innocence and guilt
>	2) Christians have ideas of innocence and guilt based on religion

   Not necessarily!  There are a wide diversity of opinion among many
question of morality (abortion for isntance).  Futher, an earlier post
of mine pointed out that according to the bible slavery would be ok.  I
think you'd have a hard time finding a Christian would would base still
find slavery acceptable.

>	3) Our government mandates a seperation of Church and State
>	4) Allowing Christians to influence the law is equivalent to
>          having a theocracy.

	Again, this isn't even close to what I said.  I said that when
Christians try and influence the passing of laws that are based *solely*
of religious ideas of morality that have little or no practial basis for
being made into law, the lawmakers should reject their bid.  They are
working for the state, not for the religious views of their consituents
(even if the majority of their voters are Christian).
   If Christians (or any other cross section of society) wants to try and
lobby something into law... fine.  If these proposed laws are based on the
practical good they will have on society, fine and good.  If they are
based on nothing but religious conviction, they should be dumped.
   Was it clear that time?

>	5) A theocracy is a a violation of the "seperation of Church
>and State".
>		THEREFORE
>	6) Therefore Christians should have no influence over the law
>and just let the atheists and agnostics decide what is right and wrong
>in society.

	An entirely erroneous conclusion made with a poor understanding
of what I had to say.

[a number of concusions made on the above assumptions deleted ]

>	The legal system should reflect the consciences of its
>citizens, and it is in no way compromised if the citizens have
>Christian mores, and the law reflects this.

Then you would have no problem if the majority of the people were
Islamic and laws were passed concerning women having to remain covered
when outside their home?  Or laws about death penalty being invoked
for crimes such as fornication and theft?  These are morals based on
the dominant religion, after all!  And our laws should reflect the
views of the majority, right?  Wrong!
   Where would our civil rights movment be if the "majority" were
allowed to dictate everything?  Think this one through for a minute...

>	Are any mainstream Christian groups trying to replace the
>Pledge of Allegiance with the Nicene Creed?

Well, the Arizona state republican party has declared the United States
to be a "Christian Nation" (as opposed to a secular one, I assume).
Possibly not "mainstream", but its a start.

>	No one is trying to legislate faith. People are trying to
>bring the law in line with their concepts of morality.

The law is not there for you to dictate to the rest of us what you
consider moral or not.  I know this is difficult for you to swallow
but not all of us agree with you...

>	A law based on Christian morality is not an endorsement of
>faith in God - it is an endorsement of government's accountability to
>its citizenship - some of which happen to be Christian.

Actualy, most of them are.  Which is why its dangerous to assume that
because you are in the majority you can dictate the behavior of the
rest because they are in the minority.  Think about the civil rights
movement and the Islamic analogy for a bit...

Jeff Lindborg

ta00est@unccvax.uncc.edu (elizabeth s tallant) (03/06/91)

In article <Feb.28.04.16.10.1991.10333@athos.rutgers.edu>, djdaneh@pacbell.com (Dan'l DanehyOakes) writes:
> ta00est@unccvax.uncc.edu (elizabeth s tallant) writes
>
> > You cannot be a practicing Christian and committ homosexual acts.  The two
> > are contradictory.
>
> No, dear heart.  They are not.  Christ does not expect us to be sinless.

Note the word PRACTICING.  A practicing Christian is not just someone who
is a Christian (through faith in Jesus Christ) but is instead someone who
practices what he/she claims to believe in.  One who is a Christian believes
in the Bible and its teachings.  Thus, if one want to be a practicing
Christian, one should strive to do those things that the Bible teaches.

While none of us are perfect, we should at least try.

> Christ also expects us not to judge one another.

 I am not judging you.  For all I know, you may be a heterosexual who is
pulling a prank.  I am simply stating that the Bible forbids homosexuality.

> I suggest that a gay whose acts -- however sinful they may be, and I do not know
> whether they are or not -- are committed in honest and charitable love with his
> or her partner may be much closer to the Holy Spirit than a professing Christian

This is absolute blasphemy. It's like saying that two people in an
adulterous relationship are close to God when they are "doing it", or that
a murderer is close to God when he kills.

The Bible clearly shows that homosexuality is a sin.  Sin separates one
from God.  It does not bring him/her closer to God.

> whose preachments at gays come not out of love for them but out of hate for
> them.  I personally think it better for Christians to avoid making such

So, this is what it comes down to.  I simply reiterate what the Bible says,
and because you don't want to accept it, you indirectly accuse me of hating
you.  What a cop - out.

My question would be, is one more interested in doing the Lord's will,
no matter what it may be, than he is in sticking to his/her own version
of right and wrong?

Elizabeth

lieuwen@mycella.cs.wisc.edu (Dan Lieuwen) (03/06/91)

[This continues the discussion of whether homosexuality is
a basic character trait, and if so what it implies.
>   This is where your analogy breaks down.  Some Christians *choose*
>   celibacy, but the church, if it accepts a homosexual orientation, often
>   *requires* celibacy from homosexuals.  I think that homosexuals should be
>   free to choose whether or not to be celibate.
--clh]

They may choose whether or not to be celibate, just as any single person
has the choice about whether or not to be continent.  In both cases, if
they choose not to accept continence, they have made a choice that goes
against historic Christianity.  They have the right to do so.  However,
they should not try to distort Christian dogma by saying that their
behavior is Christian behavior.  If they wish to start their own religion,
that is their business--but it unjust for them to try to warp historic
Christianity.

Orientations are not all good.  Some people, for whatever reason, have
a sadistic bent.  The Gospel requires that they not act on this bent.
I am not trying to compare homosexuals to sadists, but only to call into
question the premise that if a person has a certain orientation, it is
always right to act on that orientation.

Dan

lieuwen@mycella.cs.wisc.edu (Dan Lieuwen) (03/06/91)

^The "traditional Christian morality" you claim is anything but that.
^Persecution of gay people started in about the 13th century AD.
^...  Historians have detected a
^marked shift in attitudes around the 13th century, but not before.
^They have plenty of documents attesting to the widespread acceptance
^of gay people prior to that, and to occasional vigorous debate.

You ignore the Didache which can be found in The Apostolic Fathers,
some of the earliest writings of the church after the close of the
the New Testament era.  It clearly forbids sodomy.  If that's not
sufficient, it is not a very difficult task to find other explicit
condemnation of homosexual sexual activity in the Church Fathers.

Dan

rjb@akgua.att.com (Robert J Brown) (03/06/91)

In article <Mar.1.02.57.09.1991.15601@athos.rutgers.edu>, mib@churchy.ai.mit.edu (Michael I Bushnell) writes:

mucho deleto

> And, I'd like to turn this around.  Did this all-pervasive change
> change your attitude toward homosexuality upon being a Christian, or
> are your ideas essentially the same as they would be if you were a
> non-Christian?  Most people I've met that oppose gay people would do
> so regardless of whether they are a Christian or not.

see above

> 	-mib

 Do we have a logic problem here ?

 I think that ALL truth is God's truth.  If homosexuality is wrong
 (that is Not truth), then it is so irrespective of my position
 in the universe as a Christian or Non-C.

 For instance, I was against the common cold before becoming
 a Christian.  I remain faithful to that position today.

 The KKK is likely to be against both the common cold (for White
 Folks anyway) and homosexuality.  Since they are palpably anti-
 Christian, should that affect my position on either issue ?

 Again, since all Truth is God's truth the KKK may be correct on
 both these issues even though they are a group whose basis and
 positions on many subjects are "wrong".

 Bob akgua!rjb

rvp@softserver.canberra.edu.au (Rey Paulo) (03/08/91)

In article <Feb.28.04.16.10.1991.10333@athos.rutgers.edu> djdaneh@pacbell.com (Dan'l DanehyOakes) writes:
>ta00est@unccvax.uncc.edu (elizabeth s tallant) writes
>
>> You cannot be a practicing Christian and committ homosexual acts.  The two
>> are contradictory.
>
>No, dear heart.  They are not.  Christ does not expect us to be sinless.

Wrong.  While I agree that Christ does not expect us to be sinless, to
willfully commit sin is another issue.  As far as I can understand,
homosexuals are well aware that homosexual acts constitute sin.
Therefore, a homosexual committing homosexual acts is willfully comitting
sin and in my belief the forgiveness of such sin is in question.  We
should all be aware that there are sins which are unforgivable.
What Christ wants from all of us (including homosexuals) after all
our previous sins have been confessed and cleansed, is to stay away
from sin.  This does not mean, however, that we should sin no more but
only under circumstances which is entirely and humanly impossible for us
to avoid and more importantly, it is not for us to decide what those
circumstances are.  In fact the ideal scenario is to sin no more as Christ
said after healing a sick man "Go and sin no more!".  But since we
are humans and hence weak, all along we still stumble but not willfully.
I firmly believe that committing homosexual acts are well under the
control of homosexuals in the same way as a normal man and woman
abstain from sex.

>I suggest that a gay whose acts -- however sinful they may be, and I do not know
>whether they are or not -- are committed in honest and charitable love with his
>or her partner may be much closer to the Holy Spirit than a professing Christian
This statement is the same as saying:

   "When a person kills someone as long as he does it
    in honest and charitable love with the victim then he
    may be closer to the Holy Spirit ..."

This uncomfortably leads us to the topic of "mercy killing" which is highly
debatable and which I think every christian does not approve.
--
Rey V. Paulo                          | Internet : rvp@csc.canberra.edu.au
University of Canberra                | "One and one and one is three"

[Most homosexual Christians -- at least the ones that speak openly
on the subject -- seem not to believe that homosexual activity is
sin.  You may say they are wrong, but it seems odd to say that
they know it is sin.  --clh]

djdaneh@pacbell.com (Dan'l DanehyOakes) (03/09/91)

In article <Mar.5.23.47.16.1991.23197@athos.rutgers.edu> ta00est@unccvax.uncc.edu (elizabeth s tallant) writes:

>While none of us are perfect, we should at least try.

Absolutely.

> I am not judging you.  For all I know, you may be a heterosexual who is
>pulling a prank.  I am simply stating that the Bible forbids homosexuality.

You *are* judging me:  you are assuming that anyone who writes such a thing
seriously must be gay.  I am not.  I am about as heterosexual as they come,
married with kids.  I also have the advantage of knowing a number of gays well,
and knowing that it is perfectly possible to be gay and still love Jesus and
call him Lord. . . a possibility you dismiss out of hand.

*If* it is sinful to be gay, a matter which is not as open and shut
as you seem to think it is, then all that means is that you can't be
gay and be perfect.  None of us, or durned few, will achieve perfection
in this life.  I'm reasonable certain I won't.

All of us are sinners.  I have a short temper at times.  My fellow Christians
try to help me control it, through prayer and reminders.

What I don't understand is:  why does this *particular* sin make you
ineligible to be a Christian, while a short temper, or the willingness
to assume another person must be either gay or joking, does not?

Is it intrinsically worse than all those other sins?

And who says so?  Isn't trying to say whose sins are worse than who
else's sins *also* a form of judging?

>This is absolute blasphemy. It's like saying that two people in an
>adulterous relationship are close to God when they are "doing it", or that
>a murderer is close to God when he kills.

What I said was not that gay sex _per_ _se_ brings one closer to God.
What I said was that *ANY* act committed in a spirit of love, is more
godly than *ANY* act committed in a spirit of hate.

>The Bible clearly shows that homosexuality is a sin.  Sin separates one
>from God.  It does not bring him/her closer to God.

The Bible also "clearly shows" that eating crab is a sin.  Do you ever
eat shellfish or pork?  Do any useful work between sunset Friday and
sunset Saturday?  By your own logic, if you do these things, you are
not a Christian.

The history shown in the Bible is one in which a series of Covenants
supercede each other, each being more "advanced" in godliness than the
one before.  Christ's Covenant, the final Covenant, freed us from the
complex, prescriptive and essentially negative nature of the Mosaic
Law (thou shalt not, thou shalt not, with the occasional thou shalt
thrown in so people would have *something* to do), *WHICH* *WAS*
*NEVER* *BINDING* *ON* *ANYONE* *BUT* *THE* *HEBREWS* *ANYWAY*, and
replaced it with a simpler, descriptive, and positive Law, stated in
the two Great Commandments:  Love God, and Love your neighbor as
yourself.  (Note that, implied in that second, is a certain degree of
self-love:  not vanity or pride, but accepting that, since God loves
you, you must be worthy of love, despite your sinful condition.)

St. Paul spent years of his life struggling with this, as shown in the
New Testament, and finally realized that Christians were not bound by
the rituals of the Mosaic Law, but only by the law of Love, _caritas_.
We are required to obey the laws of the land (rendering unto Caesar),
but beyond that, our acts are bound only by Love.

Love of God must come first, of course.

>So, this is what it comes down to.  I simply reiterate what the Bible says,
>and because you don't want to accept it, you indirectly accuse me of hating
>you.  What a cop - out.

No, I do *not* accuse *you* of anything.

I believe that many Christians attack gays out of hate.  I do not know
why you attack gays in the way you do.

I do not accuse you of hating gays.

Even if I did, it would not be accusing you of hating me.  I am, as I
said above, not gay.  I merely believe in treating gays with the Love
they deserve as God's creatures, whom He loves, whom He loved enough to
die for.  If he did that, can we do less than love?

>My question would be, is one more interested in doing the Lord's will,
>no matter what it may be, than he is in sticking to his/her own version
>of right and wrong?

"One" is interested in doing the Lord's will, as embodied in the words
He spoke while He walked among us.  "One" is interested in trying to
live up to the sacrifice He made for us.  "One" is interested in loving
His creatures, more than my own idea of what is right and wrong, including
"one's" own ideas about sexual morality.  "One" has some definite ideas
about what is right and wrong, but if "one" were to start applying them
to others, "one" would be loving "one's" own ideas more than those others.
If the commandments of Love are the "greatest," then any other commandments
-- including any commandments concerning sexual morality -- must fall by
the wayside in favor of _caritas._

May the Lord bless you and keep you, and all who read this,

Dan'l

ALLEN@mscf.med.upenn.edu (03/09/91)

In article <Mar.5.23.47.16.1991.23197@athos.rutgers.edu>
ta00est@unccvax.uncc.edu (elizabeth s tallant) writes in
response to:
>> I suggest that a gay whose acts -- however sinful they may be,
>> and I do not know whether they are or not -- are committed in
>> honest and charitable love with his or her partner may be much
>> closer to the Holy Spirit than a professing Christian
>
>This is absolute blasphemy.

   And don't you think that the Pharisees thought that it was
blasphemy for Jesus to heal the blind man on the Sabbath or for Jesus
to talk to the Samaritan (and a woman, at that) at the well or for
Jesus to clear the moneychangers out of the temple.  Christ constantly
challenges people to do what is right rather than what Church doctrine
says is right.

>The Bible clearly shows that homosexuality is a sin.

   No it does not.  People have interpreted it in such a way, but it
is not clear that it is a sin.

>Sin separates one from God.

   Which is why homophobia is a sin.  It separates the homophobes from
God because they cannot accept all God's children as She accepts them.
It separates homosexuals from God because they do not to be part of a
church that hates them for who they are.  Homophobia is a sin;
homosexuality is not.

>[Sin] does not bring him/her closer to God.

   This is how I know that homosexuality is not a sin.  Accepting my
homosexuality allowed me to accept God.  If I could not love myself
for who I was then how could I accept that God loved me for who I was.
Accepting my homosexuality has brought me closer to God.

>I simply reiterate what the Bible says,

   That's right you simply reiterate what the Bible says, just as the
Pharisees simply reiterated what the Law said.  The Bible is very
clear what Jesus thought of the Pharisees.

--
Hugs,
John

johnw@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (John Warren) (03/14/91)

In article <Mar.5.23.47.16.1991.23197@athos.rutgers.edu> ta00est@unccvax.uncc.edu (elizabeth s tallant) writes:
>In article <Feb.28.04.16.10.1991.10333@athos.rutgers.edu>, djdaneh@pacbell.com (Dan'l DanehyOakes) writes:
>> ta00est@unccvax.uncc.edu (elizabeth s tallant) writes
>>
>> > You cannot be a practicing Christian and committ homosexual acts.  The two
>> > are contradictory.
>>
>> No, dear heart.  They are not.  Christ does not expect us to be sinless.
>
>Note the word PRACTICING.  A practicing Christian is not just someone who
>is a Christian (through faith in Jesus Christ) but is instead someone who
>practices what he/she claims to believe in.  One who is a Christian believes
>in the Bible and its teachings.  Thus, if one want to be a practicing
>Christian, one should strive to do those things that the Bible teaches.

One of the things that the Bible teaches is "If you be circumcised [i.e.,
perform some painful act on yourself to try to be righteous by following
some set of rules], Christ shall profit you nothing" (somewhere in
Galatians); "I am not ashamed of the Gospel, for it is the power
[the greek has dunamis, or 'dynamite'] of God unto salvation" (somewhere
around Romans 2 or 3).  Note that he didn't say the power of the
believer--we don't do the work of salvation.  Salvation rightly
understood means safety, wholeness, following your rightful destiny,
in addition to the assurance of going to heaven when we die.

>While none of us are perfect, we should at least try.

If you do you're getting in God's way, and Christ shall profit you
nothing.

Okay, then what do we have to do?  Faithe.  Not believe.  Place
yourself at risk by hanging onto a promise of God (and there are
myriads of those).  Every day.

Faith is hard, but legalism, which I see creeping into this
newsgroup, is impossible and not what God expects.  Christ does
not expect us to be sinless, but he will make us sinless, and
the job won't be complete until after we die.

John Warren		"... Into the narrow lanes,
			I can't stumble or stay put." - Dylan

[The first ref is to Gal 5:2:  "if you receive circumcision,
Christ will be of no advantage to you".  The second is Rom 1:16
--clh]