[soc.religion.christian] Peace Sign

awmurray@eos.ncsu.edu (ALAN WAYNE MURRAY) (02/28/91)

In article <Feb.25.09.30.08.1991.1772@athos.rutgers.edu>,
chuck@csn.csn.org (Chuck Luciano) writes:
> The origin of the peace sign is of interest to me. I can't quote you
references
> for this but here is my hearsay:
>
> The peace sign is infact a broken cross as is the swastika. They are both
> ancient (probably 1st century AD) symbols of satanism and witchcraft as is
> the pentacle and the cross of confusion.

  I've heard the same things.  The name of the book that I saw it in was :
_Satanism:_The Seduction_Of_America's_Youth_ by Bob Larson (Larsen?)  whatever.
Anyway, its something (I think Bob) Larson.  It's a recent book (pub.
after 1989).  It is a typical Christian book (as it knocks everything I
like) but it does list the peace symbol and swastika as Satanic symbols.
(There are two different versions of the swastika (AKA 'the twisted
cross').  The Nazi swastika was borrowed from another symbol which was
turned the opposite way but has nothing to do with Satanism.)

  As for the peace sign, it was originated by drawing a circle around a
cross, turning the cross upside down, and breaking the arms.  Larson
goes on to list several more (around a dozen or so), and to tell us why
not to play role-playing games(esp. AD&D) and why not to listen to heavy
metal.  There is such a thing as going overboard, I'm afraid...

[Let me ask again, is there clear evidence that the people who
advocate this as a peace symbol actually created it by mutilating the
cross, or is someone simply making up an uncomplimentary explanation
after the fact?  The interpretations of the symbol given by those who
use it are rather different.  There should be fairly clear evidence
before we accuse fellow Christians of being liars.  --clh]

bill@emx.utexas.edu (Bill Jefferys) (03/05/91)