[soc.religion.christian] Jesus wore long hair too <light explanation>

kenns@prism.cs.orst.edu (Kenn R. Stump) (03/07/91)

In <Mar.4.21.42.41.1991.25939@athos.rutgers.edu> jmoon@lehi3b15.csee.lehigh.edu (Jonggu Moon [890911]) writes:

>I can't remember the chapter and verse, but in one of
>Paul's letters, he exhorts the men to cut their hair short.
>However, Jesus Christ ( if all the art works created in history
>are to be believed ) had long hair. Then again, I doubt Jesus
>had blue eyes and white skin either. In fact, He probably looked
>like a semite. ( oh ! Blasphemy ! )

>Am I mistaken ? Could someone direct me to the relevant scripture ?

>^>*<^ jmoon

>[The reference is 1 Cor 11:14.  I suspect what's meant by "long"
>is the issue.  It's unlikely that Paul had a crew cut in mind.
>--clh]

Sorry for including most of the article..
Jesus was a Nazarene.  Like Samson (who was a nazarene also, if my memory
is correct) their covenant with God was proofed by the lack of cutting of
their hair.  Samson broke his covenant with God when Delilah (sp?)
cut his hair.  No covenant with God, no massive strength.
I'm really weak on the details, and I apologise.  But (someone help
me out here) I think Jesus was covenanted by his Mother to God as a
Nazarene.  Thus the long hair.  All Nazarenes had long hair.  It
was their proof of the covenant they held with God.
Now that I've mish-mashed this to death three times, I'll let soemone follow up
on this with accurate info instead of just "what I've heard from a friend
who has studied the bible quite vigorously."

Someone wanna *really* clear this up?  Please?

                   .                 :  kenns@jacobs.cs.orst.edu :
              .   -+-   .            :  kenns@nyssa.cs.orst.edu  :
             -+-   |   -+-           +---------------------------+
              |         |              :        {ogicse,hp-pcd}
  He Came To Die On A Cross Of Wood;   :!orstcs!jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU!kenns
And He Made The Hill On Which It Stood;:         Kenn R. Stump

[Isn't this confusing Nazarene (native of Nazareth) with Nazarite
(someone who has taken a vow to God that is symbolized by
not cutting the hair)?  --clh]

adamd@rhi.hi.is (Adam David) (03/19/91)

In <Mar.7.03.55.48.1991.21938@athos.rutgers.edu> kenns@prism.cs.orst.edu (Kenn R. Stump) writes:

>Jesus was a Nazarene.  Like Samson (who was a nazarene also, if my memory
>is correct) their covenant with God was proofed by the lack of cutting of
>their hair.  Samson broke his covenant with God when Delilah (sp?)
>cut his hair.  No covenant with God, no massive strength.
>I'm really weak on the details, and I apologise.  But (someone help
>me out here) I think Jesus was covenanted by his Mother to God as a
>Nazarene.  Thus the long hair.  All Nazarenes had long hair.  It
>was their proof of the covenant they held with God.

>[Isn't this confusing Nazarene (native of Nazareth) with Nazarite
>(someone who has taken a vow to God that is symbolized by
>not cutting the hair)?  --clh]

This is by no means a recent confusion. The way I heard it was that the village
where Jesus spent his childhood was renamed Nazareth in the 2nd Century and
became a tourist attraction after that. The original name has long since been
forgotten and is probably of little significance. Prophecies in the Old
Testament have no reference to Nazareth whereas other place names are mentioned.
Evidence that Jesus was a Nazarite can be found in the scriptural prophecy
"not a hair on his head shall be touched", and there are other references
specifically mentioning Nazarite. The Romans who mocked Jesus and mistreated
him prior to crucifixion left his hair intact, though they might have been
expected in the circumstances to shame him by shaving it off.
Pontius Pilate ordered for the sign on the cross to read "Jesus the Nazarite,
King of the Jews" in 3 major languages of the time and place. The Greeks who
recorded the details at the time may even themselves have confused Nazarite and
Nazarene. Gentiles had no cultural context in which to correctly understand the
term Nazarite so the obvious folk derivation required a place named Nazar or
Nazareth. When pilgrims came from Rome and Greece wanting to visit Nazareth
the locals had to come up with the goods or lose trade.
This is one example of how a simple misunderstanding in the past can become the
foundation for a lasting but erronuous "fact".
--
Adam David.  (adamd@rhi.hi.is)