[soc.religion.christian] Things You Should Know About Salvation

NU169273@vm1.nodak.edu (03/13/91)

             Things You Should Know About Salvation
             ======================================

THE REALITY OF SIN
------------------
  The Bible tells us that "There is none righteous, no not one,"
and that "All have sinned, and come short of the glory of God."
(Romans 3:10, 23)  The good deeds and self-righteousness of man
is in vain, for God says, "All our righteousness are as filthly
rags" in Isaiah 64:6.
  It is absolutely useless for a sinner to depend upon his good
works to make him acceptable in the sight of God.  We are All
sinners!

THE REASON FOR SIN
------------------
  You may be wondering why every person is a sinner.  The Bible
says, "By one man sin entered into the world."  (Romans 5:12)
That one man was Adam.  We are all his descendents, and just as a
physical likeness is passed from generation to generation, so the
sinful human nature is passed down.  WE ARE SINNERS BY NATURE,
and WE ARE SINNERS BY CHOICE.  "All have sinned!"  (Romans 5:12)

THE RESULT OF SIN
-----------------
  Every sinner (unless he accepts the ONE true remedy) will spend
eternity separated from God, in a literal, burning hell.  Please
do not doubt the following verses from God's word:  "The soul
that sinneth, it shall die."  (Ezekiel 18:4)  "Sin, when it is
finished, bringeth forth death."  (James 1:15)  "The wages of sin
is death,"  (Romans 6:23)  "And whosoever was not found written in
the book of life was cast into the lake of fire."
(Revelation 20:15)

THE REMEDY FOR SIN
------------------
  The remedy is NOT BY WORKS, nor faith in baptism or communion.
"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according
to His mercy He saved us."  (Titus 3:5)
  The remedy for sin is the Lord Jesus Christ.

You must:

1.  Confess your sinful, lost, helpless condition to God.

2.  Repent (change you mind) from your sins.  "Repent ye,
    therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted
    out."  (Acts 3:19)

3.  Ask for God's forgiveness, based on the payment Christ made
    for your sins when He died on the cross.

4.  Accept Jesus Christ, by faith, as your own, personal Savior.
    "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be
    saved."  (Romans 10:13)

                 -------------------------------
                     If you were to die today
                 where would you spend eternity?
                 -------------------------------

                       ...God Bless You...

K. Paulson
222 Stockbridge Hall
N. D. S. U.
Fargo, ND 58105

deanh@ios.convergent.com (Dean Hansen) (03/19/91)

NU169273@vm1.nodak.edu writes:

>             Things You Should Know About Salvation
>             ======================================

lots of stuff removed, all of which I agree with.

My concern is taking only one or two verses on a subject,
in this case "salvation," and not including all of the
verses on the subject.

When looking at the "remedy for sin," or verses on "being saved"
we need to look at all of them.

>THE REMEDY FOR SIN
>------------------
>  The remedy is NOT BY WORKS, nor faith in baptism or communion.
>"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according
>to His mercy He saved us."  (Titus 3:5)

How about...
2 Tim.1:9 He saved us according to His own purpose and grace
Heb.10:39 we don't draw back, we believe to the saving of our soul
Eph.2:8 For by grace are we saved through faith
Acts 20:28 Jesus purchased the church with his blood
Rom.5:9 justified by Jesus' blood, saved through Jesus
Rom.5:10 reconciled by Jesus' death and saved by his life
Rom.8:24 saved by hope
1 Cor.15:1-2 saved by the gospel if we remember it

>  The remedy for sin is the Lord Jesus Christ.

>You must:

>1.  Confess your sinful, lost, helpless condition to God.

Rom.10:9-10 would fit in here
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus
and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him
from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

>2.  Repent (change you mind) from your sins.  "Repent ye,
>    therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted
>    out."  (Acts 3:19)

How about Acts 2:38?
Then Peter said unto them, Repent and be baptized every one of you
in the name of Jesus Christ, for the remission of sins, and ye shall
receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

>3.  Ask for God's forgiveness, based on the payment Christ made
>    for your sins when He died on the cross.

This works after we have been born again and can approach God
as our Father (see 1 Jn.1:9), but where does it say a non-Christian
can ask God for forgiveness?

>4.  Accept Jesus Christ, by faith, as your own, personal Savior.
>    "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be
>    saved."  (Romans 10:13)

This is good, provided it's clear to the non-Christian what it
means to call on the name of the Lord.  It must mean more than
calling out the words "Jesus Christ" otherwise everyone that takes
the name of the Lord in vain would be saved.  A closer look at
Acts 22:16 might shed some light on the subject.  Paul was told
to be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on the name of
the Lord.

>                 -------------------------------
>                     If you were to die today
>                 where would you spend eternity?
>                 -------------------------------

>                       ...God Bless You...

>K. Paulson
>222 Stockbridge Hall
>N. D. S. U.
>Fargo, ND 58105

I'm sure I, too, have not included all verses concerning
being saved, but in order to see the whole picture that
God has painted for us, on any subject, we need to look
at all of the verses He has provided us, lest we get the
wrong picture.

May God continue to bless you in your study of His word.

Dean Hansen (deanh@convergent.com)