[soc.religion.christian] Turn the other cheek

ajm@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Tony McGregor) (03/19/91)

In article <Mar.18.11.22.42.1991.7419@athos.rutgers.edu> smith_w@apollo.hp.com (Walter Smith) writes:
>My question is, how far do we go with "turn the other cheek"?
>If someone is going to kill us, or someone else, are we really
>supposed to let them, or should we stop them?  (Turn the other
>cheek as long as it doesn't kill anyone?)

For a long time I wondered about how far to go in turning the other
cheek. This is the conclusion I have come to.

When Christ told us to turn the other cheek and to walk an extra mile
he was teaching a part of the second great commandment.

If we are hurt by someone our first reaction is normally a selfish
one. Strangely we often seek to get our own back through revenge, even
if this doesn't make our lot any better. Through the OT God had taught
his people to limit their revenge to the magnitude of the original
act. Now Jesus extends this by teaching that we should respond in a
way that brings reconciliation to the situation.

By inviting Christ to remodel our revenge reactions into concern for
the person who has wronged us we are bringing his love to the world
and, surprisingly, we experience more of his peace and strength in our
lives. I have friends who began as enemies. That is a wonderful
experience. At the same time it would not be right for me to allow an
unrepentant mugger to mug again. It is wrong for both the mugger and
the person he mugs.

When he said "Turn the other cheek" Jesus was not making a new rule to
be followed dogmaticly he was helping people to break out of their self
orientated thinking.

God bless you

Tony
Tony McGregor ( ajm@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au )
Department of Robotics and Digital Technology, Monash University
PO Box 197, Caulfield East, Vic 3145, Australia
Phone: +61 3 5732014  Fax: +61 3 5732745

PS Perhaps we sholud all flame each other for pratice at turning the
other cheek ;-)