[soc.religion.christian] Mitochondrial DNA and "Eve"

dweinste@gnu.ai.mit.edu (David Weinstein) (03/20/91)

Thomas Blake writes:
>I find it strange that the controversial cover story from Newsweek a
>year or more ago has not been mentioned in this thread.  The story dealt
>with the research of a team of geneticists which claim that gene
>matching shows us to have all descended from a single woman.  (Who some
>have labled "Eve".)  The major thrust of their conclusion was not that
>Genesis is correct, but that theories of parralel development of a
>number of protomen which mingled to produce Homo Sapiens appear to be
>mistaken.  (Someone please correct me if I have mis-remembered).  The
>story was also given play by NPR.

It is unfortunate that the name "Eve" was attached to the hypothetical
direct female line ancestor, as this has led many people to read more
into the study than is actually there (much along the lines of the people
who read the Second Law of Thermodynamics to prevent any increase in order
anywhere).

The human Mitochondria contain DNA. This DNA is inherited entirely from
the mother, with no genes inherited from the father. What the study
uncovered was that, insofar as they have been able to find, all humans
(with the possible exception of the Australian aborigines) are descended
in an unbroken _female_ line from one woman living approximately a quarter
of a million years ago.

To understand why this is _not_ a biblical Eve, we merely have to look
at a simple case. Two couples, one with a female child, the other with
a male child. The children marry, and have children. These children will
have the Mitochondrial DNA of the maternal grandmother _only_. This does
not mean, however, that they are not descended from the paternal
grandmother. After this report was released, another analysis trickled
down the net, showing that this sort of unbroken female descent will
occur every n generations.

So, in short, while interesting, the findings on Mitochondrial DNA don't
really have much to do with Christian theology (although the notion of
a single unbroken line of female descent for most or all of humanity
could do interesting things for Jewish theological debates :-) ).

--Dave

--
Dave Weinstein                            Internet: dweinste@isis.cs.du.edu
Disclaimer: You aren't serious, are you?            dweinste@gnu.ai.mit.edu

[This discussion is coming very close to creationism.  Let me note
again that I do not regard that as an appropriate topic for this
group, because there's a specialized group for it: talk.origins.
--clh]