[net.lan] bridges

koning@koning.DEC (Paul Koning -- LAS Engineering) (02/21/86)

Greg Waters writes:

> As I understand
> our Ethernet bridge product, it's normal mode of operation is that of a "dumb"
> bridge, not a "routing" bridge, so it cannot tolerate cycles and hot standbys
> without that net management stuff.

This is incorrect.  The Digital bridge automatically accounts for loops in
the topology and makes appropriate adjustments.  If a bridge fails and there
is a standby, the standby will take over.  No management is required for this.

	paul koning

koning@koning.DEC (Paul Koning -- LAS Engineering) (03/25/86)

>I need to connect two Ethernets.
>DEC may have something similar, now, but I bet I won't love that
>price either.

Check it; you may be pleasantly surprised.  The DEC bridge is a local
bridge, by the way; it wasn't entirely clear if you need local or remote.

>The cheapest alternative which is transparent looks to be a buffered
>repeater.  It won't filter at all but is said to work at full speed.

"Buffered repeater" is a rather confusing term for what's really a
"dumb" bridge.  If you want full speed, why settle for less than the
real thing?  The DEC bridge is a full-function bridge that DOES run
at full speed.

	paul koning