[soc.religion.christian] Biblical Sexual Morality

ALLEN@mscf.med.upenn.edu (03/09/91)

   Much of Biblical sexual morality is based on the mistaken belief
that each sperm contained an infant.  The woman was thought only to be
a place for the sperm to grow.  The woman did not make any other
contribution to the fetus.  This can be seen in such phrases as
"spilling his seed" and "semen" (from Latin "seed") in refering to men
and "barren" or "fertile" when refering to women.  Much of the debate
over sexual issues is a relic of this mistaken belief.

   Since each sperm contains a fetus, it is murder to engage in any
activity where the sperm will not have a chance to grow into a child.
Consider:

Sin			Reason
Masturbation		Murder
Contraception		Murder
Male Homosexuality	Murder

Note that female homosexuality is not a sin because the woman makes no
contribution to the fetus and therefore she is not committing murder
by engaging in homosexual activity.  This is why the Bible condemns
male homosexuality but not female homosexuality.

   Now that we understand how the biology of reproduction actually
works, we know that there isn't a fetus in every sperm.  What now is
the reason for condemning those acts that were previously thought to
be murder?

Sin			Reason
Masturbation		Tradition
Contraception		Tradition
Male Homosexuality	Tradition
Female Homosexuality	Generalization from male homosexuality

   If anyone can honestly look at their Bible and give me another
explanation that explains why only male homosexuality and female
homosexuality should be condemned, I will reconsider my belief that
homosexuality is not a sin, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

--
Hugs,
John

John Allen        allen@mscf.med.upenn.edu               ---
B4/5 f t w s(-) k r                                     /| *\
                                                        |*\ |
                                                        \o*|/
"Light is the left hand of darkness" -- U. K. LeGuin     ---

kenns@prism.cs.orst.edu (Kenn R. Stump) (03/11/91)

In <Mar.9.01.08.52.1991.23202@athos.rutgers.edu> ALLEN@mscf.med.upenn.edu writes:

>   If anyone can honestly look at their Bible and give me another
>explanation that explains why only male homosexuality and female
>homosexuality should be condemned, I will reconsider my belief that
>homosexuality is not a sin, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I'm assuming you made a typo in that paragraph.  Or I missed something of
importance.  8-)

It may not be a direct answer to your question; in fact it may
not even answer the question, but for reference:

Epistle To Romans 1:26 - 27

For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their
women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman,
burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that
which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of
their error which was meet.

>John Allen        allen@mscf.med.upenn.edu               ---
>B4/5 f t w s(-) k r                                     /| *\
>                                                        |*\ |
>                                                        \o*|/
>"Light is the left hand of darkness" -- U. K. LeGuin     ---
kenns@jacobs.cs.orst.edu  (no flames, please.  It's late.  I'm tired)
			  (and my thinker is all thunked out 8-]    )

mls@sfsup.att.com (Mike Siemon) (03/11/91)

In article <Mar.9.01.08.52.1991.23202@athos.rutgers.edu>,
ALLEN@mscf.med.upenn.edu writes:

>    Much of Biblical sexual morality is based on the mistaken belief
> that each sperm contained an infant.

I don't believe that is the case.  The doctrine you allude to *was* the
developed Stoic position, and as such it had an immense influence on the
formation of Christian ethical doctrines.   But I can't think of a single
OT passage that would support such a notion (nor, indeed, any that would
contradict it.)  Jewish sexual ethics was NOT based on this notion.  For
one possible approach to an understanding of the Jewish law, I recommend
as a starting point Bill Countryman's _Dirt Greed and Sex_, Fortress Press
1988, ISBN 0-8006-0887-9.  This is, primarily, a look at the New Testament
material, but I think it is a good starting point for the rather more alien
(to us) matter in the Torah, as well.
--
Michael L. Siemon		"O stand, stand at the window,
m.siemon@ATT.COM		    As the tears scald and start;

fuzzy@elaine0.stanford.edu (Daniel Zappala) (03/12/91)

In article <Mar.9.01.08.52.1991.23202@athos.rutgers.edu> ALLEN@mscf.med.upenn.edu writes:

>   Much of Biblical sexual morality is based on the mistaken belief
>that each sperm contained an infant.  The woman was thought only to be
>a place for the sperm to grow.  The woman did not make any other
>contribution to the fetus.  This can be seen in such phrases as
>"spilling his seed" and "semen" (from Latin "seed") in refering to men
>and "barren" or "fertile" when refering to women.  Much of the debate
>over sexual issues is a relic of this mistaken belief.

This interpretation assumes the laws on sexual morality come from men, and
not from God.  My personal viewpoint is to instead acknowledge through faith
that what is found in the Bible is God's word, and to understand what
is in the Bible from that assumption.  Since God fully knows the human
reproductive system, he must have had his reasons for declaring masturbation
and homosexuality as sins.  I'm willing to take his word for it, but
if one must rationalize, I can come up good enough arguments to satisfy
my own probing mind.

For example, if one views the sexual act as a union of woman and man
on the level of a unifying of spirits, as well as bodies, then it is
quite possible for me to see masturbation as a pale shadow of the
full sexual act, and hence unpleasing to God.  Note, I make no claim
for this as a Biblical concept.  I myself can settle for God's will
without needing a complete reason.

As far as specific phrases and wordings which might suggest an
inadequate understanding, it depends on your view of how the Bible
came to be.  My own view of prophets sees them as people through whom
God can reveal his will to his people.  They are succeptible to
cultural perturbations insofar as this will not obscure God's word.
They are imperfect mouthpieces.

Daniel
fuzzy@leland.stanford.edu

ALLEN@mscf.med.upenn.edu (03/14/91)

In <Mar.9.01.08.52.1991.23202@athos.rutgers.edu>
I write:
>>   If anyone can honestly look at their Bible and give me another
>>explanation that explains why only male homosexuality and female
>>homosexuality should be condemned, I will reconsider my belief that
>>homosexuality is not a sin, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

   I did make a typo in the paragraph above.  It should read "why only
male homosexuality and *NOT* female homosexuality should be
condemned."

In article <Mar.11.02.39.34.1991.5448@athos.rutgers.edu>,
kenns@prism.cs.orst.edu (Kenn R. Stump) writes:
> For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their
> women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

   I knew that someone would try to use this piece of scripture.  This
is one example where the choice of the translation no longer
accurately represents what the author was trying to say.  The word
meaning "nature" in Greek was used to express what we would call
"custom".  Passages exist where this meaning is clearer, but I do
not have them at hand.  This passage would more accurately be
translated

	For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections:
	for even their women did change the customary use into
	that which is against custom.

   Lesbianism is still seen as a vile affection simply because it
goes against custom.

   Part of the problem with Biblical sexual morality comes from the
fact that the concept of individuality was invented in the late Middle
Ages.  In classical Greece, Plato talked about the Forms which were
idealizations of things in the world.  Plato stressed the importance
of shedding as much of the real world as possible to get as close to
the Forms as possible.  This leads to perfectionism.

   With first the identification of individuality in the Middle Ages
and then recognition of individual differences in the work of Gregor
Mendel and Charles Darwin.  With this new awareness of the individual
we realize that perfection is an impossible task.  The task that we
should be concentrating on is INTEGRITY.  This is being true to
oneself, loving oneself, accepting oneself so that one can love be
true to God, love God, accept God and love others.  This is the point
of Christ's whole message.  God is the God of LOVE not punishment.
God loves us as we are.  We are the ones who judge ourselves as not
being worthy of God's love not God who judges us as being unworthy of
God's love.  We separate ourselves from God, God does not separate
Herself from us.  If accepting our homosexuality makes us feel whole
(which is a very common feeling), then God rejoices with us in that
wholeness.

--
Hugs,
John

John Allen        allen@mscf.med.upenn.edu               ---
B4/5 f t w s(-) k r                                     /| *\
                                                        |*\ |
                                                        \o*|/
"Light is the left hand of darkness" -- U. K. LeGuin     ---

[I took at look at the article on physis (the word being used for
nature in this passage) in Kittel.  This gives a history of usage in
Greek documents, in earlier contemporary Jewish documents, and in the
NT.  Nowhere do they identify it as customary.  The range of meanings
seems to be similar to our word "natural".  This is particularly clear
in Paul, with uses such as Rom 2:27, the Gentile are by nature the
foreskin, Gal 2:15, those who are Jews by nature (i.e. by descent),
Gen 4:8 bondage to things that are by nature no gods.  Rom 2:14
Gentiles who do the law by nature, Eph 2:3 people who were by nature
children of wrath.  In none of these cases does "custom" make sense.
Further it is clear from the context that Paul considers homosexuality
to be more than simply a violation of custom.  1:26 talks about
degrading passions, and 1:27 shameless acts.  I'll let those who are
more familiar with the history of philosophy than I talk about the
issue of individuality.  I don't think your comments on that are right
either, but I based this only on a fairly general feeling that in the
prophets we can see a progression from emphasis on the community to
emphasis on the individual.  --clh]

hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Chuck Hedrick) (03/14/91)

In article <Mar.9.01.08.52.1991.23202@athos.rutgers.edu>
 ALLEN@mscf.med.upenn.edu writes:

>Note that female homosexuality is not a sin because the woman makes no
>contribution to the fetus and therefore she is not committing murder
>by engaging in homosexual activity.  This is why the Bible condemns
>male homosexuality but not female homosexuality.

Ah ... (I actually have a Bible today!)

Romans 1:26-27 (TEV a.k.a. Good News Bible)
26 Because they do this, God has given them over to shameful passions.
Even the women pervert the natural use of their sex by unnatural acts.
27 In the same way the men give up natural sexual relations with women
and burn with passion for each other.  Men do shameful things with each
other, and as a result they bring upong themselves the punishment they
deserve for their wrongdoing.

So, I think we'll have to say there is Biblical condemnation of female
homosexuality, but let me continue...  (As Paul does)

28 Because those peope refuse to keep in mind the true knowledge about
God, he has given them over to corrupted minds, so that they do the
things that they should not do.  29 They are filled with all kinds of
wickedness, evil, greed, and vice; they are full of jealousy, murder
fighting, deceit and malice. They gossip 30 and speak evil of one
another; they are hateful to God, insolent, proud and boastful; they
think of more ways to do evil; they disobey their parents;  31 they have
no conscience; they do not keep their promises, and they show no
kindness or pity for others.  32 They know that God's law says that
people who live in this way deserve death.  Yet, not only do they
continue to do these very things, but they even approve of others who do
them.

Now that we're all feeling righteous, Paul comes in with his second
chapter!

*2* Do you, my friend, pass judgement on others?  You have no excuse at
all, whoever you are.  For when you judge others and then do the same
things which they do, you condemn yourself.  2 We know that God is right
when he judges the people who do such things as these.  3 But you, my
friend, do those very things for which you pass judgement on others!  Do
you think you will escape God's judgement?  4 Or perhaps you despise his
great kindness, tolerance, and patience.  Surely you know that God is
kind, because he is trying to lead you to repent.  5 But you have a hard
and stubborn heart, and so you are making your own punishment even
greater on the Day when God's anger and righteous judgements will be
revealed.  6 For God will reward every person according to what he has
done.  7 Some people keep on doing good, and seek glory, honor and
immortal life; to them God will give eternal life.  8 Other people are
selfish and reject what is right, in order to follow what is wrong; on
them God will pour out his anger and fury.  9 There will be suffering
and pain for all those who do what is evil, for the Jews first and also
for the Gentiles.  10 But God will give glory, honor, and peace to all
who do what is good, to the Jews first and also to the Gentiles.  11 For
God judges everyone by the same standard.

*Is* Homosexuality a sin?  There are certainly Biblical injunctions
against it.  But we all commit sins.  We all do things which we *know*
are wrong.  What right have you or I to criticize another's sins when we
commit so may ourselves.  How many of us can even truthfully claim to
obey just the 10 commandments faithfully, (let alone the many other
injunctions, [among them homosexuality]).  Yet we have singled out this
sin as special.  *This* sin is the one over which we divide
congregations.

                                               Tom Blake
                                               SUNY-Binghamton

janski@vipunen.hut.fi (Janne Olavi Salmi) (03/18/91)

[Daniel Zappala commented
                                      ... Since God fully knows the human
   reproductive system, he must have had his reasons for declaring masturbation
   and homosexuality as sins.  I'm willing to take his word for it
--clh]

The Bible doesn't say that masturbation is a sin.

  For example, if one views the sexual act as a union of woman and man
   on the level of a unifying of spirits, as well as bodies, then it is
   quite possible for me to see masturbation as a pale shadow of the
   full sexual act, and hence unpleasing to God.  Note, I make no claim
   for this as a Biblical concept.  I myself can settle for God's will
   without needing a complete reason.

Yes, that is quite right. It's like playing chess against yourself.
You don't really win anything. But, again, it's not a sin in itself.
You can, however, find other things that are connected to it that are sins,
like "lusting thy neighbor's wife" that makes one do it.

*   Janne Salmi                   /  "Money, I need more money, just a   *
*                                /  little more money, yeah, I need more *
* Email:janski@niksula.hut.fi   /  money"  -Extreme                      *

[As far as I know, the usual citation is Gen 38:8 ff, where Onan is
condemned for "spilling his semen on the ground".  However there was a
specific context there.  Onan had accepted the reponsibility of
raising up children for his dead brother, and this was a violation of
that responsibility.  Does anyone know another citation?  --clh]

gwills@maths.tcd.ie (Graham Wills) (03/19/91)

In article <Mar.14.03.48.23.1991.24800@athos.rutgers.edu> ALLEN@mscf.med.upenn.edu writes:

>The task that we
>should be concentrating on is INTEGRITY.  This is being true to
>oneself, loving oneself, accepting oneself.

I'm afraid I'll have to take issue with this one."Being true to yourself" is
to me in complete opposition to the Christian faith, which is based on being
"Being true to Jesus Christ". If I was true to myself, I would be a lazy,
careless, inhospitable, ungenerous, arrogant, bossy, objectionable person. My
faults are many, and if I was true to myself, it would not be a pleasnt sight.

Fortunately, I was saved by Christ and I want to go against my own character.
I work at letting Christ change me so I can be less like myself, and more
like Him (without losing my own personality!). Our nature is fallen, and to be
true to it is to be follow a sinful way.

Graham Wills, Dublin, Ireland.

kutz@cis.ohio-state.edu (Kenneth J. Kutz) (03/19/91)

In article <Mar.14.04.06.54.1991.25394@athos.rutgers.edu>, hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Chuck Hedrick) writes:

Tom rightly divides the Word regarding Romans 1 & 2.  Paul as clearly
and plainly as he could shows his readers that homosexuality (male
and female) is sin.  Then in Romans 2, Paul condemns those who are
self righteous - the "morally good" people on the outside.  After
condemning the actions of those bad outwardly and those bad inwardly
Paul sums it up in Romans 3 - "there is none righteous - no not one".

Paul then gives the answer to this human dilemna - Jesus Christ, the
only True and Righteous man to walk this earth.

Tom then says:

> *Is* Homosexuality a sin?  There are certainly Biblical injunctions
> against it.  But we all commit sins.  We all do things which we *know*
> are wrong.  What right have you or I to criticize another's sins when we
> commit so may ourselves.  How many of us can even truthfully claim to
> obey just the 10 commandments faithfully, (let alone the many other
> injunctions, [among them homosexuality]).  Yet we have singled out this
> sin as special.  *This* sin is the one over which we divide
> congregations.
>
>                                                Tom Blake
>                                                SUNY-Binghamton

Tom, I think the reason this sin is singled out as "special" is because
those committing it are teaching others (by example) that it is OK to
do so.  There are certain qualifications to be an elder (or overseer)
in a church.  Read Titus 1.  Listed in there is "blameless, the husband
of one wife, just, holy..."  That being the case we wouldn't want
to ordinate a professing thief (who continues to promote thievery by
example) would we?

Teaching another to sin is very serious.  Jesus said that it would be
better if a stone were tied around a person's neck and thrown into
the sea than to teach another to sin.

So if I enter your congregation teaching it is OK to steal and that
continuing thieves should be ordained and I want the job - do you
think that would cause division?  You see the divider in this case
is not those say homosexulaity is wrong.  It is those who teach it
is right, and want to lead congregations in that same doctrine.

--
  Kenneth J. Kutz		  Internet 	kutz@andy.bgsu.edu
  Systems Programmer		  BITNET   	KUTZ@ANDY

kkrueger@zeus.unomaha.edu (Kurt Krueger) (03/19/91)

> For example, if one views the sexual act as a union of woman and man
> on the level of a unifying of spirits, as well as bodies, then it is
> quite possible for me to see masturbation as a pale shadow of the
> full sexual act, and hence unpleasing to God.  Note, I make no claim
> for this as a Biblical concept.  I myself can settle for God's will
> without needing a complete reason.

     I believe this view to be a triffle condemning of virtually all adole-
scents and a good chunk of the adult population.  Since there are no passages
in the Bible concerning masturbation, I would be much reticent to say that
it is inherently immoral.  To do so creates great feelings of guilt for ado-
lescents who really already have a lot more guilt that they can handle.  If
you assume it a sin, then it must cause harm, yet no competent psychologist
will agree that it does.  Suppression because of extreme guilt and fear does
cause a great deal of harm.  My better judgement said to me "Shut up and skip
this post," but I see a lot of teens messed up from well-intentioned views that
wind up causing emotional havoc.  Of course almost no adolescent reads the net,
but all of the readers are a part of society which develops social mores.

Respectfully,

--
Kurt Krueger | BITNET:   kkrueger@unoma1           |        //\
MBA student  | Internet: kkrueger@zeus.unomaha.edu |      \X/--\ M I G A

tblake@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Thomas Blake) (03/20/91)

>> *Is* Homosexuality a sin?  There are certainly Biblical injunctions
>> against it.  But we all commit sins.  We all do things which we *know*
>> are wrong.  What right have you or I to criticize another's sins when we
>> commit so may ourselves.  How many of us can even truthfully claim to
>> obey just the 10 commandments faithfully, (let alone the many other
>> injunctions, [among them homosexuality]).  Yet we have singled out this
>> sin as special.  *This* sin is the one over which we divide
>> congregations.
>>
>>                                                Tom Blake
>>                                                SUNY-Binghamton

Ken replies in part...
>Tom, I think the reason this sin is singled out as "special" is because
>those committing it are teaching others (by example) that it is OK to
>do so.  There are certain qualifications to be an elder (or overseer)
>in a church.  Read Titus 1.  Listed in there is "blameless, the husband
>of one wife, just, holy..."  That being the case we wouldn't want
>to ordinate a professing thief (who continues to promote thievery by
>example) would we?
>[...]

But you see, I think we are all in agreement that theivery is a sin.  I
honestly do not know if Homosexuality is a sin.  I'll grant that it is
clearly spoken against in the Bible.

Leviticus 19:19
"Obey my commands.  Do not crossbreed domestic animals.  Do not plant
two kinds of seed in the same field.  Do not wear clothes made of two
kinds of material." (TEV)

Leviticus 19:26:28
"Do not eat any meat with blood still in it.  Do not practice any kind
of magic.  27 Do not cut the hair on the sides of your head or trim your
beard  28 or tattoo yourselves or cut gashes in your body to mourn for
the dead.  I am the Lord." (TEV)

The Bible is full of injuctions that we choose to ignore.  Even though
many of us know it by heart, let me cite Matthew 22:34-40

34 When the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees; they
came together,  35 and one of them, a teacher of the Law, tried to trap
him with a question.  36 "Teacher", he asked, "which is the greatest
commandment in the Law?"

37 Jesus answered, "`Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with
all your soul, and with all your mind.'  38 This is the greatest and the
most important commandment.  39 The second most important commandment is
like it: `Love your neighbor as you love yourself.'  40 The whole Law of
Moses and the teachings of the prophets depend on these two
commandments."  (TEV)

Given these two commandments, I believe theivery is obviously a sin.
(If I love my neighbor, I won't steal my neighbor's property.)
Similarly, all of the "10 Commandments" I feel can be logically derived
from these two.  *Is* homosexuality a sin?  I *personally* find male
homosexuality distasteful.  But I don't know if it is a sin.

If love is to be the guide to Christian behaviour, some of the most
"Christian" people I know are homosexuals.  Indeed, of the people I know
with faith in Jesus Christ, some of those with the strongest faith are
homosexuals.

I find myself dwelling on Romans 14.  Paul is mostly speaking about the
question of unclean food, (this must have been a topic of some division
in the church of Rome, [imagine the Jews and Gentiles on *this* one!]).
These were important laws to the Jews!  Just to get the flavor of 14:

Romans 14:1-4
Welcome the person who is weak in faith, but do not argue with him about
his personal opinions.  2 One person's faith allows him to eat anything,
bu the person who is weak in the faith eats only vegetables.  3 The
person who will eat anything is not to despise the one who doesn't;
while the one who eats only vegetables is not to pass judgement on the
one who will eat anything; for God has accepted him.  4 Who are you to
judge the servant of someone else?  It is his own Master who will decide
whether he succeeds or fails.  And he will succeed, because the Lord is
able to make him succeed.  (TEV)

Romans 14:19-23
So then, we must always aim* at those things that bring peace and that
help strengthen one another.  20 Do not, because of food, destroy what
God has done.  All foods may be eaten, but it is wrong to eat anything
that will cause someone else to fall into sin.  21 The right thing to do
is to keep from eating meat, drinking wine, or doing anything else that
will make your brother fall.  22 Keep what you believe about this matter,
then, between yourself and God.  Happy is the person who does not feel
guilty when he does something he judges is right!  23 But if he has
doubts about what he eats, God condemns him when he eats it, because his
action is not based on faith.  And anything that is not based on faith
is sin.

* we must always aim; some manuscripts have we always aim   (TEV)

It seems to me that Paul's guidance is that whether the eating of
certain foods is a sin or not depends on the eater's faith, and is a
matter between them and God.  The eater must however not cause another
to sin by their actions.  If we were to extend this to homosexuality, it
seems to me...

If the homosexual's conscience is not bothered by their homosexuality
then it is not for us to judge.  But, the homosexual must also respect
the beliefs of those who feel that homosexuality is a sin.  Certainly if
a homosexual were to seduce another who believed homosexuality to be a
sin then they both sin.  (Certainly causing a neighbor to commit what
they consider a sin is not loving that neighbor.)

Your citing of Titus is well taken.  Keeping Paul in mind it might be
best not to ordain a homosexual to serve parishioners who considered
homosexuality a sin, but if the parishioners *did not* consider
homosexuality a sin, would it still be impropper?

I still *do not know* if homosexuality is a sin, but I am not willing to
dismiss out-of-hand those very good people I know who are homosexuals.

						Tom Blake
						SUNY-Binghamton

pdj7631@summa.tamu.edu (JONES, PAUL DAVID) (03/20/91)

In article <Mar.18.23.27.32.1991.28642@athos.rutgers.edu>, kkrueger@zeus.unomaha.edu (Kurt Krueger) writes...

[much deleted:  talking about masturbation]

>If you assume it a sin, then it must cause harm, yet no competent psychologist
>will agree that it does.  Suppression because of extreme guilt and fear does
>cause a great deal of harm.

Just thought I'd point out that this applies to the homosexuality discussion,
too...

And yes, I know the rest of his post does not, or at least that most people here
would say that it doesn't.
______
\    /    Illithid  (Paul D. Jones)    Texas A&M, especially the Corps
 \  /     PDJ7631@venus.tamu.edu       of Cadets, stands staunchly behind
  \/             @rigel.tamu.edu       each and every one of my opinions.

kutz@cis.ohio-state.edu (Kenneth J. Kutz) (03/22/91)

In article <Mar.20.03.48.35.1991.9375@athos.rutgers.edu>, tblake@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Thomas Blake) writes:

Tom sites the following passage our lack of obedience to this command
as a reason to (perhaps) believe that commands against homosexuality
may not apply to this age:

> The Bible is full of injuctions that we choose to ignore...
> Leviticus 19:19
> "Obey my commands.  Do not crossbreed domestic animals.  Do not plant
> two kinds of seed in the same field.  Do not wear clothes made of two
> kinds of material." (TEV)

Tom I believe that God gave the nation of Israel many commands to
separate them from the surrounding nations.  Israel was to be
different, set apart to God as a light for the nations.  You'll
find in this book that these commands were given to the *nation*
Israel.  The church had not been built yet (Jesus said "I will
build my church" - future tense).

Therefore, the reason we plant two kinds of seed in the same field
is because our seperation unto God is no longer national (outward)
but international (Jews and Gentiles) and internal (of the heart).
The Body of Christ (a mystery revealed by Paul) is made up of believers
who are indwelt by the Holy Spirit forever.  This is what sets us
apart - the fruit of the Spirit.

> *Is* homosexuality a sin?  I *personally* find male
> homosexuality distasteful.  But I don't know if it is a sin.

> It seems to me that Paul's guidance is that whether the eating of
> certain foods is a sin or not depends on the eater's faith, and is a
> matter between them and God.  The eater must however not cause another
> to sin by their actions.  If we were to extend this to homosexuality, it
> seems to me...

I think we might be able to extend this to homosexuality, if the
Bible allowed us to, but it does not.  Many people who want to
believe homosexuality is OK have concluded: (1) Paul is biased
and was not inspired by God when he wrote Romans 1 or (2)
Paul *really* doesn't say homosexuality is wrong in Romans 1.
I don't think #2 is even worth discussing, I don't think he could
have been any clearer.

> If the homosexual's conscience is not bothered by their homosexuality
> then it is not for us to judge.  But, the homosexual must also respect
> the beliefs of those who feel that homosexuality is a sin.

Whenever the conscience becomes the judge of truth and right and wrong,
we are on dangerous ground.  Truth, rather than coming from God,
comes from the person's ability to rationalize behaviors.

> Your citing of Titus is well taken.

Please note that in Titus it says that the elder is to be the husband
of one *wife*.  Romans 1 says homosexuality is wrong.  Both were
written by Paul.  The issue here is much larger than homosexuality.
Is all Scripture God breathed?  I believe it is but...

> But you see, I think we are all in agreement that theivery is a sin.  I
> honestly do not know if Homosexuality is a sin.  I'll grant that it is
> clearly spoken against in the Bible.

...you are not sure.  My suggestion to you would be, if there is
a passage of Scripture that you don't think is being taken seriously
(or shouldn't be taken seriously) ask someone who believes all of
the Bible to be the Word of God what his or her interpretion is of
that passage.  This will help you in making your decision for yourself.

And above all pray.

I hope this helps Tom.  God bless you.

--

fuzzy@elaine3.stanford.edu (Daniel Zappala) (03/22/91)

In article <Mar.18.10.45.10.1991.6195@athos.rutgers.edu> janski@vipunen.hut.fi (Janne Olavi Salmi) writes:
>[Daniel Zappala commented
>                                      ... Since God fully knows the human
>   reproductive system, he must have had his reasons for declaring masturbation
>   and homosexuality as sins.  I'm willing to take his word for it
>--clh]
>
>The Bible doesn't say that masturbation is a sin.

Unfortunately, my article was misunderstood, purely through my own
fault.  The original poster took the stance that the Bible said
masturbation was a sin, and he felt this was due to cultural bias and
a misundertanding of the reproductive system.  My point was that
whatever laws *are* in the Bible, they are from God, and not from
humans.  I used masturbation as an example only since he did.

Now whether or not it actually is labeled a sin in the Bible, I'll
leave to the current thread that other people have concentrated on. :)

Daniel Zappala

brendan@cs.uq.oz.au (Brendan Mahony) (03/22/91)

In <Mar.20.03.48.35.1991.9375@athos.rutgers.edu> tblake@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Thomas Blake) writes:

>If the homosexual's conscience is not bothered by their homosexuality
>then it is not for us to judge.  But, the homosexual must also respect
>the beliefs of those who feel that homosexuality is a sin.  Certainly if
>a homosexual were to seduce another who believed homosexuality to be a
>sin then they both sin.  (Certainly causing a neighbor to commit what
>they consider a sin is not loving that neighbor.)

I think that these observations remain equally
valid if the word hetrosexual is used to replace the word homosexual.
In entering a sexual relationship it is important to give serious
thought as to the spiritual state of your prospective partner. Sex
should not be allowed to become a sin. The church's traditional
safeguard is the sacrament of marriage, were two people stand before God
and their community and declare their willingness (eagerness) to
entering into a state of sexual union with each other.

--
Brendan Mahony                   | brendan@batserver.cs.uq.oz
Department of Computer Science   | heretic: someone who disgrees with you

jsast@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Johann) (03/25/91)

> [As far as I know, the usual citation is Gen 38:8 ff, where Onan is
> condemned for "spilling his semen on the ground".  However there was a
> specific context there.  Onan had accepted the reponsibility of
> raising up children for his dead brother, and this was a violation of
> that responsibility.  Does anyone know another citation?  --clh]

I have heard this passage used before concerning masturbation and I
personally believe it to be incorrect.  More than likely, Onan was
practicing the method of birth control known as "withdrawl". (Ineffective,
yet probably the height of technilogical development at that time :-))
The reason God punished him was because it was his responsibility to raise
children in his brother's name by his brother's wife.  He, obviously,
was not willing to take the responsibility.

-Jon Anderson

johnw@sag4.ssl.berkeley.edu (John Warren) (03/25/91)

In article <Mar.21.22.48.11.1991.15966@athos.rutgers.edu> bgsuvax!kutz@cis.ohio-state.edu (Kenneth J. Kutz) writes:

>Please note that in Titus it says that the elder is to be the husband
>of one *wife*.  Romans 1 says homosexuality is wrong.  Both were
>written by Paul.  The issue here is much larger than homosexuality.
>Is all Scripture God breathed?  I believe it is but...

I just want to clear something up here.  It says that the elder is to be
a 'one woman man' (Titus 1:6).  You can be a man monogamously married to
a woman and yet not be the man of commitment which this phrase talks about.
You can be an unmarried (or -- *gasp* -- divorced) woman and have the
commitment required for an elder.  And you can be a homosexual with this
type of commitment.  At least this verse does not limit the position of
elder to married men.

>  Kenneth J. Kutz

John Warren		"...What's a sweetheart like you
			doing in a dump like this?" - Dylan

[The same word can mean either wife or woman and man or husband.  All
translations I've seen use husband of one wife in this context.  This
does not necessarily affect your conclusion, of course.  --clh]

gdm7238@venus.tamu.edu (MCBRIDE, GARY DEAN) (03/25/91)

]
]Tom sites the following passage our lack of obedience to this command
]as a reason to (perhaps) believe that commands against homosexuality
]may not apply to this age:
]
]] The Bible is full of injuctions that we choose to ignore...
]] Leviticus 19:19
]] "Obey my commands.  Do not crossbreed domestic animals.  Do not plant
]] two kinds of seed in the same field.  Do not wear clothes made of two
]] kinds of material." (TEV)
]
]Tom I believe that God gave the nation of Israel many commands to
]separate them from the surrounding nations.  Israel was to be
]different, set apart to God as a light for the nations.  You'll
]find in this book that these commands were given to the *nation*
]Israel.

This statement is incorrect.  The Law of the Prophets was indeed given to
the nation of Israel, but it was intended to mark the people as the people
of God.  The Jews believed that anyone who practiced the law of the Prophets
be he of Jewish ancestry or not was set apart as one of God's people.  Jesus
said quite bluntly in Matthew and Luke that not the tiniest part of the law
of the Prophets will change or be forgotten.  So, if Jesus did not want to
change the law of the Prophets, why are Christians doing so?

]The church had not been built yet (Jesus said "I will
]build my church" - future tense).
]
]Therefore, the reason we plant two kinds of seed in the same field
]is because our seperation unto God is no longer national (outward)
]but international (Jews and Gentiles) and internal (of the heart).
]The Body of Christ (a mystery revealed by Paul) is made up of believers
]who are indwelt by the Holy Spirit forever.  This is what sets us
]apart - the fruit of the Spirit.
]

What scripture tells you that the Old Testament injunctions were to be
abandoned?  Where does it say that the Old Law should not be practiced
by Christians?  And if it does say that, how does this mesh with what
Jesus said about not changing the law?  I think it needs to be said that
Paul and Jesus did not agree about the disposition of the Old Law.  Paul
said we are dead to the Law yet Jesus said it would never change or be
nullified. He even went so far as to quote the Pharisee proverb, "I have
come not to change the law but to fulfill it."  Which means, at least the
Jews understood it to mean, I have not come to tinker with God's eternal
ordinances but to teach them how they apply in this situation.  The
situation he was talking about was of course his claim to the traditional
Jewish role of Messiah.

]  Kenneth J. Kutz		  Internet 	kutz@andy.bgsu.edu
]  Systems Programmer		  BITNET   	KUTZ@ANDY
]  University Computer Services    UUCP     	...!osu-cis!bgsuvax!kutz
]  Bowling Green State Univ.       US Mail   238 Math Science, BG OH 43403

Sensei
"If Jesus was so opposed to the Pharisees, why did he quote traditional
Phariseic wisdom over forty times?"

[There seem to be a number of things that have to be reconciled:

  - Jesus' statment that he did not come to abolish the law
  - Jesus' way of dealing with the Law, which tended to
	radicalize and internalize it, and in some cases (e.g.
	"harvesting" on the Sabbath) did not call for literal
	obedience, at least as it was then interpreted
  - Acts 15, which says that Gentile Christians need not be
	circumcized, and probably need not obey the rest of the
	Law, except for a few commandments that seem to have
	been based on the convenant with Noah (in the form
	in which it was presented by 1st Cent. rabbis).
  - Paul's views, in Rom and Gal particularly, which saw the
	Law as at best a temporary schoolmaster until Christ
	should appear, and characterized Christians' relationship
	with God as modelled after Abraham's.  (Abraham was
	before the Law.)
  - Paul's opposition to "antinomians", which indicates that
	whatever he thought about the Law, he also didn't think
	that "anything goes".

There are a number of ways to reconcile these things.  The most common
is probably to say that the Law combines ethical contents, which are
eternal, with specific ceremonies and ordinances that set off the Jews
as a people.  Christians are bound by the first, but not the second.
The more radical approach is to say that the Law does not apply at
all, and Christian ethics must be reconstructed based on love and not
Law.

Note that Christ's comment about fulfilling the Law is not necessarily
as simple as it looks.  First, he was speaking to a Jewish audience.
If you adopt the point of view suggested by Acts 15, the Law is still
binding for Jewish Christians.  It's Gentiles who are not expected to
be circumcized or to follow the full Law.  Thus the Law is not
abolished.  It is simply not applied to Gentiles, which is after all
consistent with 1st Cent. Jewish practice.  Second, the word
translated "fulfill" can have several meanings.  One of them is "to
end, conclude, make complete".  Some interpreters have said that
Christ (particularly by his death) ended the Law in this sense.

I'm not advocating any specific solution here, but pointing out
that the issue is a complex one, which will not be settled by
citing any one passage.

--clh]

fetherbay@ddtisvr.uucp (Kathy Fetherbay) (03/25/91)

In article <Mar.11.03.14.09.1991.5896@athos.rutgers.edu> mls@sfsup.att.com (Mike Siemon) writes:
>In article <Mar.9.01.08.52.1991.23202@athos.rutgers.edu>,
>ALLEN@mscf.med.upenn.edu writes:
>
>>    Much of Biblical sexual morality is based on the mistaken belief
>> that each sperm contained an infant.
>
>I don't believe that is the case.  The doctrine you allude to *was* the
>developed Stoic position, and as such it had an immense influence on the
>formation of Christian ethical doctrines.   But I can't think of a single
>OT passage that would support such a notion (nor, indeed, any that would
>contradict it.)  Jewish sexual ethics was NOT based on this notion.

And I recommend you both slog your way thru _Birth_Control_in_
_Jewish_Law_ by David M. Feldman.
It's a dense book, but only because he is thorough about demonstrating
Talmudic reasoning.
Ethics and morality are rarely based on a single perceived "fact" of
nature, and Jewish tradition is a beautiful dance of opposing
mitzvahs and developing understandings thru history using both
the intellectual reason of man and God's law of love written on the heart.

Kathy E.F.Daly -- - -- "A bad .sig file is better than no .sig file at all."
Camex,Inc. pays me, but I work for DuPont Design Technologies (go figure...)
Land Line by day:  (408)970-4263

JMS111@psuvm.psu.edu (Jenni Sheehey) (03/27/91)

In article <Mar.25.03.27.42.1991.7040@athos.rutgers.edu>, gdm7238@venus.tamu.edu
(MCBRIDE, GARY DEAN) says:

>What scripture tells you that the Old Testament injunctions were to be
>abandoned?  Where does it say that the Old Law should not be practiced
>by Christians?

Well, I dunno about the rest of the law, but in Acts 10:9-15, there is a
passage in which Peter has a vision.  In this vision, he sees a blanket
lowered from Heaven which contains all of the clean and unclean animals.
Then a voice tells him to kill and eat the animals.  Peter objects, but
a voice tells him "Do not call impure that which the LORD has made
clean".  This is generally understood to mean the Gentiles, and that
Peter should minister to them as well.  But I have not seen any reason
to not take it literally as well.  Does anyone know of any?
                                       --Jenni
Just my $0.02...  not a complete response to the poster's concerns...

tblake@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Thomas Blake) (03/27/91)

In article <Mar.21.22.48.11.1991.15966@athos.rutgers.edu> bgsuvax!kutz@cis.ohio-state.edu (Kenneth J. Kutz) writes:
>> The Bible is full of injuctions that we choose to ignore...
>> Leviticus 19:19
>> "Obey my commands.  Do not crossbreed domestic animals.  Do not plant
>> two kinds of seed in the same field.  Do not wear clothes made of two
>> kinds of material." (TEV)
>
>Tom I believe that God gave the nation of Israel many commands to
>separate them from the surrounding nations.  Israel was to be
>different, set apart to God as a light for the nations.  You'll
>find in this book that these commands were given to the *nation*
>Israel.  The church had not been built yet (Jesus said "I will
>build my church" - future tense).

This is an interesting loop hole, but I don't think you really want to
apply it.  The injunctions I cited from Leviticus were indeed given to
the nation of Israel.  (I also cited 19:26-28)  But, the 10 Commandments
were also given to the nation of Israel.  And here's a little gem from
just before 19:19:

Leviticus 19:17-18
"Do not bear a grudge against anyone, but settle your differences with
him, so that you will not commit a sin because of him.  18 Do not take
revenge on anyone or continue to hate him, but love your neighbor as you
love yourself.  I am the Lord.  (TEV)

So, I don't think we really want to ignore injunctions just because they
were given to the nation of Israel, and not to followers of Christ, and
yet there are items of the law that I think many of us would agree we
are better off without.

Deuteronomy brings us a commandment which certainly puts "The Prodigal
Son" in an interesting light...

Deuteronomy 21:18-21

"Suppose a man has a son who is stubborn and rebellious, a son who will
not obey his parents, even though they punish him.  19 His parents are
to take him before the leaders of the town where he lives and make him
stand trial.  20 They are to say to them, `Our son is stubborn and
rebellious and refuses to obey us; he wastes money and is a drunkard.'
21 Then the men of the city are to stone him to death, and so you will
get rid of this evil.  Everyone is Israel will hear what has happened
and be afraid. (TEV)

Here's one that I'm afraid we all fall down on (Pardon the Pun)

Deuteronomy 22:8

"When you build a new house, be sure to put a railing around the edge of
the roof.  Then you will not be responsible if someone falls off and is
killed.   (TEV)

So, should we discard Deuteronomy?  There's a baby in with the
bathwater.

Deuteronomy 6:4-5

"Israel, remember this! The Lord-and the Lord alone-is our God.*  5 Love
the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all
your strength.

* The Lord...is our God; or The Lord, our God, is the only God; or The
  Lord our God is one.  (TEV)

The books of The Law have many laws we all accept.  They have a number
of laws which a many of us reject, (not all of us).  By what ruler do
we judge which laws are meant for us, and which ones are not?  Do we
look to Paul?  Do we look to Peter?  Do we look to the words of Jesus
recorded in the Gospels?  Do we pray to God to show us his way for us?
I'd say any and all.

Kenneth says "and above all, pray."  I'll go along with that.

						Tom Blake
						SUNY-Binghamton

P.S.  I include this citation from Numbers.  Does any denomination
      practice this ritual?

Numbers 5:11-31

The Lord commanded Moses 12-14 to give the Israelites the following
instructions.  It may happen that a man becomes suspicious that his wife
is unfaithful to him and has defiled herself by having intercourse with
another man.  But the husband may not be certain, for his wife may have
kept it secret-there was no witness, and she was not caught in the act.
Or it may happen that a husband becomes suspicious of his wife, even
though she has not been unfaithful.  15 In either case the man shall
take his wife to the priest.  He shall also take the required offering
of two pounds of barley flour, but he shall not pour any olive oil on
it or put any incense on it, because it is an offering from a suspicious
husband, made to bring the truth to light.

16 The priest shall bring the woman forward and have her stand in front
of the altar.  17 He shall pour some holy water into a clay bowl and
take some of the earth that is on the floor of the Tent of the Lord's
presence and put it on the water.  18 Then he shall loosen the woman's
hair and put the offering of flour in her hands.  In his hands the
priest shall hold the bowl containing the bitter water that brings a
curse.  19 Then the priest shall make the woman agree to this oath
spoken by the priest; "If you have not committed adultery, you will not
be harmed by the curse that this water brings.  20 But if you have
committed adultery,  21 may the Lord make your name a curse among your
people.  May he cause your genital organs to shrink and your stomach to
swell up.  22 May this water enter your stomach and cause it to swell up
and your genital organs to shrink."

The woman shall respond, "I agree; may the Lord do so."

23 Then the priest shall write this curse down and wash the writing off
into the bowl of bitter water.  24 Before he makes the woman drink the
water, which may then cause her bitter pain,  25 the priest shall take
the offering of flour out of the woman's hands, hold it out in
dedication to the Lord, and present it on the altar.  Finally, he shall
make the woman drink the water.  27 If she has committed adultery, the
water will cause bitter pain; her stomach will swell up and her genital
organs will shrink.  Her name will become a curse among her people.  28
But if she is innocent, she will not be harmed and will be able to bear
children.

29-30 This is the law in cases where a man is jealous and becomes
suspicious that his wife has committed adultery.  The woman shall be
made to stand in front of the altar, and the priest shall perform this
ritual.  31 The husband shall be free of guilt, but the woman, if
guilty, must suffer the consequences.

ALLEN@mscf.med.upenn.edu (04/01/91)

In article <Mar.21.22.48.11.1991.15966@athos.rutgers.edu>,
bgsuvax!kutz@cis.ohio-state.edu (Kenneth J. Kutz) writes:
> My suggestion to you would be, if there is
> a passage of Scripture that you don't think is being taken seriously
> (or shouldn't be taken seriously) ask someone who believes all of
> the Bible to be the Word of God what his or her interpretion is of
> that passage.

   You are making two assumptions here that are not necessarily
valid. You are assuming that someone who believes all of the
Bible to be the Word of God is
   1) correct in believing that the Bible is the Word of God
   2) is capable of interpreting what the Bible says accurately
or at least better than the person who is not sure.

   I would contest both of these assumptions.  I believe that the
Bible is the word of God FILTERED THROUGH HUMAN MINDS AND HANDS.
I also believe that the Qur'an is the word of God filtered
through human minds.  I also believe that the Bhagavad Gita is.
I also believe that the I Ching is.  I also believe that The Lord
is My Shepherd and He Knows I'm Gay is.  I also believe that
Uncommon Calling: A Gay Man's Struggle to Serve the Church is.  I
also believe that The Last Temptation of Christ is.

   I also believe that each one of us is the only one who can
interpret the Bible for ourselves.  We can and should ask others
how they have interpreted the Bible for themselves, but
ultimately we are each only accountable to God for our own
actions and therefore we must each make our own interpretation of
all Scripture (not just the Bible).

--

gwills@maths.tcd.ie (Graham Wills) (04/01/91)

In article <Mar.26.23.40.16.1991.11188@athos.rutgers.edu> tblake@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Thomas Blake) writes:

>"When you build a new house, be sure to put a railing around the edge of
>the roof.  Then you will not be responsible if someone falls off and is
>killed.   (TEV)
>
>So, should we discard Deuteronomy?  There's a baby in with the
>bathwater.

This is an excellent example of the way Jesus asks us to re-interpret
Deuteronomy. The passage quoted is excellent advise, BUT the motivation
is only second-best. It is a legalistic piece of advice, not a loving piece
of advice. Jesus would say:

 "When you build a new house, be sure to put a railing around the edge of
 the roof. Then your brother or sister will not be in danger of falling off
 and killing themselves"

Jesus wants us to care for other people for their sakes, not *just* to obey
his laws. The law should be seen as a guide to love, rather than a set of
rules to obey or disobey.

-Graham Wills, TCD, Ireland.