[soc.religion.christian] Does god exist

jonas@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Jonas K Manske) (03/19/91)

I have an easy answer to this question.  If you believe that the Bible
was written by men but inspired by God, then the Bible proves that
God exists.....

But I suppose most non-believing people don't believe the Bible either.

jeff@ics.uci.edu (Jeff Erickson) (03/19/91)

jonas@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Jonas K Manske) writes:

| I have an easy answer to this question.  If you believe that the Bible
| was written by men but inspired by God, then the Bible proves that
| God exists.....

Well, yes, but you're begging the question.  Believing that the Bible
was inspired by God necessarily implies belief in God, regardless of
the Bible's content.

| But I suppose most non-believing people don't believe the Bible either.

Nope.

--
Jeff Erickson    \  I like TOAST with lots of BUTTER and RASPBERRY JAM!!
jeff@ics.uci.edu  \          -- found written on a balloon at a Dead show

gross@dg-rtp.dg.com (Gene Gross) (04/01/91)

In article <Mar.18.23.54.45.1991.29147@athos.rutgers.edu> jeff@ics.uci.edu (Jeff Erickson) writes:
>jonas@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Jonas K Manske) writes:
>
>| I have an easy answer to this question.  If you believe that the Bible
>| was written by men but inspired by God, then the Bible proves that
>| God exists.....
>
>Well, yes, but you're begging the question.  Believing that the Bible
>was inspired by God necessarily implies belief in God, regardless of
>the Bible's content.

Jeff, your statement didn't make much sense.  You start off saying the
Jonas is begging the question, then you almost repeat what he said in
your second sentence.

So let me ask you, do you believe that using the Bible to prove God's
existence is invalid?  That is, do you believe it is a circular
argument?

En Agape,

Gene