[soc.religion.christian] Jewish practices relevant to the Seder

christian@cs.rutgers.edu (04/02/91)

A Jewish reader sent me information what he preferred not to post
directly, so as to avoid getting into controversy about Jewish matters
in s.r.c.  He is responding to some conjectures made about Jewish
practices in a previous posting.  (The posting is by now a couple of
weeks ago.  I apologize for the delay.  This was sent to my own email
address, and I got two weeks behind in processing my personal email.)

Dave Wagner indicated some doubt about whether children consume the
wine and matzah.  My correspondent indicates that consumption of wine
and matzah at a Seder are positive commendments, and children who are
capable of drinking wine without suffering ill effects do drink it.

He also indicates that the Paschal Lamb, the sacrifice around which
the Seder is built, is forbidden to anyhone not practicing Judaism,
even if they are of Jewish ancestry.

credmond@watmath.waterloo.edu (Chris Redmond) (04/03/91)

In article <Apr.2.04.02.13.1991.20000@athos.rutgers.edu> christian@cs.rutgers.edu writes:
>A Jewish reader sent me information what he preferred not to post
>directly, so as to avoid getting into controversy about Jewish matters
>in s.r.c.
>Dave Wagner indicated some doubt about whether children consume the
>wine and matzah.  My correspondent indicates that consumption of wine
>and matzah at a Seder are positive commendments, and children who are
>capable of drinking wine without suffering ill effects do drink it.
>He also indicates that the Paschal Lamb, the sacrifice around which
>the Seder is built, is forbidden to anyhone not practicing Judaism,
>even if they are of Jewish ancestry.

But please note that the sacrifice in question (the "korban Pesach")
is not part of the seder as practised in Jewish homes nowadays.  Judging
from current discussion in soc.culture.jewish, there is disagreement
over the circumstances in which it can be offered again -- after the
Temple is rebuilt? after the Messiah comes? after appropriate priests
find a way to purify themselves? -- but it is not part of the 1991
observance of Passover.

There is also great dispute on s.c.j, and I suppose elsewhere in the
Jewish world, about whether non-Jews are permitted to attend a seder.
Some say yes (including friends who have several times welcomed me to
their Passover table), some say no.

I might mention that at the seders I have attended, no lamb was served,
sacrifice or otherwise.  Roast beef, I think, was the main course.  At one
point I made some comment about this to my friend, having vaguely expected
lamb (and being aware that Passover lamb is the origin of the "lamb to
the slaughter" metaphor beloved by Christians).  She had never heard of
an association between lamb and Passover.

So why don't we serve lamb as a tradition for any Christian occasion?

CAR