[soc.religion.christian] Literalist activists

henning@acsu.buffalo.edu (Karl suntanned Henning) (04/01/91)

[Since posting my initial query, I have come up at least with the title
 of Bishop Spong's book:  /Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism/

 I'm curious to learn more of the book's content, and of responses
 to it.]

Recently in the Buffalo /News/, there was a letter protesting
the reportage in the "Religious News" section of the paper on
the voting of the 200-member Jesus Seminar, which concluded
that "about 80% of the words attributed to Jesus were probably
made up by later authors".

Excerpt from one account of this new item:

----------------------------
	"The picture of Jesus that emerges from the meeting that concluded
Sunday in Sonoma, Calif., is one of a prophet-sage who told parables and
made pithy comments, but never spoke many of the words that have, in
modern times, become pulpit favorites.
	"Virtually all of Jesus' words in the Gospel of John were voted down
by the Jesus Seminar, a 200-member group of mainline biblical scholars
from around the country who came together, in part, to counteract
literalist views of the Bible.
	"The group has stirred controversy since its first meetings in 1985,
when scholars participating in the group voted down the apocalyptic
voice of Jesus when he is quoted as saying he will return one day to a
world filled with turmoil.
	"Scholars felt that the doomsaying words were put on the lips of Jesus
to bolster hopes of gospel writers about 30 to 60 years after his
lifetime." &c.
----------------------------

The person who wrote to the paper in protest felt that the /News/
had no business reporting this item as "Religious News" (making
one wonder what other selective omissions this person would make
if he wielded the Power of the Press), and -- in a classic case
of "I've made my decision, so your contrary decision must be
invalid" -- made the startlingly unjustifiable statement that
"they [the Seminar] must not have been believing Christians".

Truly, one of the sorrier instances of "my mind is made up,
don't confuse me with the facts" -- and I grant the delicate
point that the fact here is, not that 80% of the sayings
attributed to jesus are CLEARLY attributable to later sources,
but that a group of 200 scholars finds it likely.

I think I understand the confused anger which prompted that
letter, but it seems to be symptomatic of a deplorable trend
in late 20th century America.

We live in a constitutional democracy;  this doesn't simply
mean that the majority rules -- because even if a majority
decides that a certain minority shouldn't be allowed to
exercise this or that privilege for whatever reason, the
constitution guarantees certain liberties to every citizen.

For example, even if a majority of Americans feel that there
should be prayer in school, such legislation can and should
be stricken as unconstitutional -- now, it is true that, if
the Supreme Court consists in the majority of people
"sympathetic" to prayer in school, that they may elect not
to fulfill their constitutional obligations ... but that
doesn't change the Constitution, it merely abuses it.
Hopefully the abuse would be corrected eventually (as were,
say, slavery, women's suffrage, and prohibition).

In this democracy, everyone has the right to express his
opinion.  And -- while responsible citizens might not
express their opinions publicly without undertaking to
collect impartial evidence and as thorough a knowledge
of the topic under advisement as might be available --
there are a number of loud and irresponsible citizens,
particularly among xians it seems, who are "bold to
speak out" regardless of their lack of broad knowledge
and awareness;  indeed, who parade their ignorance as
a virtue, for which they humbly expect the commendation
of their god.

Consider the following historical example:

The man who wrote the anti-evolution law which resulted in
the Scopes "monkey trial" was a tobacco farmer, who "thought
that his Bible was the first and only Bible ever written;
when someone had told him that the King James version of
the Bible was not the only version the poor man was overcome."
[Irving Stone, /Clarence Darrow for the Defense/]

This man was John Washington Butler, and knew nothing of
evolution.  "In 1922 a visiting preacher from Nashville
had told ... the story of a young woman who had gone to
the university and returned home believing that, instead
of God creating man, he was descended from a lower order
of animals.  This sermon set Butler to worrying;  he was
a devout man who had raised his five children on the
letter of the King James Bible.  He knew that evolution
was being taught in the Tennessee high schools;  it seemed
to him neither fair nor just that the public schools,
which were run on the taxes paid by the surrounding farms,
should undermine the religion that had been planted in
the young while at home."[Stone]

One can understand Butler's feelings, of course.  It doesn't
make his legislative response any more "fair or just",
however.

For whatever bizarre socially retrogressive reason, there is
a whole litany of such activism today -- a parade of people
proud of the crude simplicity of their reception of the
bible, eager to raise their voices to the end of restricting
the civil liberties of their fellow-citizens:  whether it
be censorship of art [partially] subsidized by the state,
censorship of books which can be taught in school, censorship
of the music sold in stores and the films shown in cinemas,
seeking to outlaw abortion, seeking to impose prayer as part
of the educational system and public ceremony.

[NB: I understand that not all people who support any of
 the above must necessarily share entire ideologies.]

As there are a number of xians in the population, they are
entitled to participate in the democratic process;  one
wishes that some of them would participate in a more
responsible manner.

kph
--
Doris: But without God, the universe is meaningless.  Life is meaningless.
   We're meaningless.  (/Deadly pause/)  I have a sudden and overpowering

[The Jesus Seminar has been mentioned in talk.religion.misc, but
possibly not here.  I should note that some of the publicity appears
to be the sort that a publisher creates, to make his book seem more
sensational than it really is.  Among the passages listed as
challenged was John 3:16.  To understand how bogus this comment is,
you have to realize exactly what the seminar is doing.  They are
trying to determine which passages are Jesus' actual words.  So to say
that they reject John 3:16 is no news, at least to me.  I had always
assumed that this was John's words rather than Jesus'.  Because Greek
doesn't have quotation marks, it's hard to know where quotations end.
The overall pattern of John involves episodes with Jesus talking to
somebody, and then theological reflection written by John, but
presumably representing Jesus' views.  I'd say in this case that the
quotation ends somewhere before 3:16.  NRSV suggests the end of 3:15.

More generally, I question whether it's possible even in principle for
us to determine what Jesus' words were.  When you compare the Gospels
it's pretty clear that paraphrasing has been done, for purposes such
as conciseness, making them intelligible to Gentiles, clarifying their
application in a post-resurrection situation, etc.

Now the scholars participating in the Jesus seminar understand all of
this very well.  They realize that the fact that they don't print a
passage in red is not necessarily an attack on its authority for
Christians.  None of their ideas are new.  But by allowing their work
to be presented a great challenge to Christianity, they are playing
into the hands of ultra-conservative Christians who distrust all
modern scholarship.  There is a gulf between ordinary Christians and
Christian scholarship.  We need people to narrow this gulf (both by
explaining more accurately to ordinary Christians what is actually
being done, and by avoiding excesses of speculative methodologies),
not to emphasize it.  Frankly I wonder whether there is any useful
purpose for this book at all.

(No, I haven't seen the book.  However I have read an article by one
of the participants in the project in Bible Review, describing what
they were doing.)

--clh]

henning@acsu.buffalo.edu (Karl airspace Henning) (04/02/91)

I thank the moderator for providing yet more information regarding the
Jesus Seminar, by which recent conclave I find myself increasingly
fascinated.

I should mention that I didn't realize that the findings of this
Seminar had been published in book form;  and, since my initial
posting included queries about a new book by Bishop Spong, I should
pint out too that the two books are utterly separate issues/entities.

The moderator discussed "a gulf between between ordinary Christians
and Christian scholarship", and thereby hangs a tale.  I admire
men with the determination and strength of purpose to try to
establish a dialogue between xian scholarship and the ordinary
xian ... but I must confess that I see it as a nearly Sisyphian
task.

kph
--
Doris: But without God, the universe is meaningless.  Life is meaningless.
   We're meaningless.  (/Deadly pause/)  I have a sudden and overpowering
   urge to get laid.		-- Woody Allen, "God (A Play)"

crf@tomato.princeton.edu (Charles Ferenbaugh) (04/04/91)

After reading the recent article about the Jesus Seminar, I'm confused.  The
newspaper account of the group's findings gave me a very different impression
from the moderator's comments.

In article <Apr.1.03.23.28.1991.7781@athos.rutgers.edu> henning@acsu.buffalo.edu (Karl random_middle_name Henning) writes:
> [quoting a newspaper article -- crf]
>	"The group has stirred controversy since its first meetings in 1985,
>when scholars participating in the group voted down the apocalyptic
>voice of Jesus when he is quoted as saying he will return one day to a
>world filled with turmoil.
>	"Scholars felt that the doomsaying words were put on the lips of Jesus
>to bolster hopes of gospel writers about 30 to 60 years after his
>lifetime." &c.
>----------------------------

and our moderator comments:

> ... you have to realize exactly what the seminar is doing.  They are
>trying to determine which passages are Jesus' actual words.  So to say
>that they reject John 3:16 is no news, at least to me.  I had always
>assumed that this was John's words rather than Jesus'.  ...
>
>More generally, I question whether it's possible even in principle for
>us to determine what Jesus' words were.  When you compare the Gospels
>it's pretty clear that paraphrasing has been done, for purposes such
>as conciseness, making them intelligible to Gentiles, clarifying their
>application in a post-resurrection situation, etc.
>
>Now the scholars participating in the Jesus seminar understand all of
>this very well.  They realize that the fact that they don't print a
>passage in red is not necessarily an attack on its authority for
>Christians. ...

If I'm understanding the moderator correctly, his point is:  okay, so maybe
the biblical words of Jesus aren't direct transcripts like we would find today
in the _New_York_Times_, say.  But even when you take into account all the
paraphrasing and so forth, they're still a reasonably accurate representation
of what Jesus taught.

If that's all these people are saying, I have no difficulty agreeing with it.
(I should point out that I find no contradiction between that and my belief
that the Bible is inerrant.  Of course by "inerrancy" I don't mean the naive
version that Karl Henning described in his article.)

But the newspaper quote seems to be saying something quite different.  Note
that, in effect, it implies that certain of Jesus' words in the Bible are
nowhere near anything Jesus ever said, but they were added later for other
purposes.  In this view, when the Gospel writers wrote "Jesus said", IT WAS
A FLAT-OUT LIE AND THEY KNEW IT.  Contrast this with the moderator's view,
in which "Jesus said" actually means "Jesus said," with the understanding
that it might be a paraphrase but he really did say something to this effect.
If I may use loaded terms, these two approaches could be called the "bad-
faith" and "good-faith" views, respectively.

>               ....  There is a gulf between ordinary Christians and
>Christian scholarship.  We need people to narrow this gulf (both by
>explaining more accurately to ordinary Christians what is actually
>being done, and by avoiding excesses of speculative methodologies),
>not to emphasize it.

I agree wholeheartedly!!!!  But it won't be easy.  For many people the
only exposure they've had to "modern scholarship" is the kind that says,
we really don't like these parts of what the Bible says, but that's okay
because we've now discovered that Paul was a bigot and the gospel writers were
liars who put words in Jesus' mouth and...  so we can ignore it.

Until attitudes like that stop going under the name "scholarship", it'll
be difficult to get some Christians to give real scholarship a real hearing.

Grace and peace,

Charles Ferenbaugh