[soc.religion.christian] Food Laws

drew@anucsd.anu.edu.au (Drew Corrigan) (04/01/91)

Jenni writes:
>This is generally understood to mean the Gentiles, and that
>Peter should minister to them as well.  But I have not seen any reason
>to not take it literally as well.  Does anyone know of any?
                                       --Jenni

Um, what about getting sick? I mean that quite seriously.  All the categories
of animals, birds and sea creatures forbidden in Leviticus 11 have been shown
through modern medical research to be causally linked to various illnesses and
diseases in humans, if consumed.

I'm writing this at work and don't have a list of the references (chiefly from
The Lancet, a medical journal) to demonstrate this, but would be happy to
summarise and post if anyone is interested.  Pork for example, has been linked
to sclerosis of the liver, quite apart from issues of tape worms etc.  Many of
the sea animals are either at the top of the food chain (eg sharks) or
scavengers (eg oysters) and as such tend to accumulate toxins in their
tissues.

There are three approaches to dealing with these Laws: a) they were simply
rituals given to Israel; b) they "evolved" through tradition; c) they are Laws
given by God because he created us and knows best what should and should not
be eaten in order for humans to function well and live healthily.  I maintain
approach c) is the correct one.  Just as we now know that eating too much
salt, fat, not enough fibre, etc, is bad in the long run, so I believe the
same applies for the animals listed in Leviticus 11.  The argument "why did
God create them then", is fatuous.  One may as well ask, "why did God create
poisonous plants?"

Just a further note with respect to Peter's vision: read it carefully.  It
doesn't include any sea animals! And note what it does include: "every manner
of creeping things" (KJV).  Just think of it; spiders, beetles, worms, ants,
cockroaches, scorpians etc.

So, if the vision is to be literal, then spiders are on the menu, but oysters
are off!

Drew.
--
Drew Corrigan  (drew@anucsd.anu.edu.au)

billg@bony1.bony.com (Bill Gripp) (04/02/91)

In article <Apr.1.02.29.30.1991.7156@athos.rutgers.edu> drew@anucsd.anu.edu.au (Drew Corrigan) writes:
>Jenni writes:
>
>Just a further note with respect to Peter's vision: read it carefully.  It
>doesn't include any sea animals! And note what it does include: "every manner
>of creeping things" (KJV).  Just think of it; spiders, beetles, worms, ants,
>cockroaches, scorpians etc.
>
>So, if the vision is to be literal, then spiders are on the menu, but oysters
>are off!

In many underdeveloped nations (in Africa in particular) insects are
considered "normal" food.  Ever heard of chocolate covered bees, ants,
or grasshoppers?  Lobsters, crab, and shrimp aren't that far removed
from "bugs" either.

USDA has specific established limits as to how much rat hair, droppings,
insect fragments, etc. can be included in food for it to pass inspection
(and if they say it can be there, you can bet it is  =8^)  ).

I recall seeing a film many years ago (while in junior high) about a
school called "Outward Bound" where young people are taught survival
skills, how to be self reliant/sufficient, etc.  At one point they said
that if you are alone with no food, spiders are excellent since they are
mostly protein (low in fat, no cholesterol, no refined sugars!  =8^) ).

I also seem to recall someone selling "earthworm farms".  They were
saying that earthworms could be processed into consumable (for humans)
protein.

Why then should Peter's vision seem so far fetched?  God is in control
and knows what He's doing (if He doesn't, who does?)

James.Quilty@comp.vuw.ac.nz (James William Quilty) (04/02/91)

[In article <Apr.1.02.29.30.1991.7156@athos.rutgers.edu>,
drew@anucsd.anu.edu.au (Drew Corrigan) referred to an article probably
in the Lancet claiming that OT laws could be justified on medical
grounds.  --clh]

I'm interesed, very much so...
[you know that recent studies have shown that sleep gives you cancer ?! :-) ]

> There are three approaches to dealing with these Laws: a) they were simply
> rituals given to Israel; b) they "evolved" through tradition; c) they
> are Laws given by God because he created us and knows best what should and
> should not be eaten in order for humans to function well and live healthily.
> I maintain approach c) is the correct one.

 If approach (c) is correct, then why has God given these things for us to eat
now ? I won't bore everyone with a myriad of Bible references (yet :-).

 And anyway, How do you know what God knows or what God thought when She
(deliberate provocation, there !!!) set down the laws of the old testament ?
How can you claim to know the purposes of God ? You got some direct line
to God we don't know about ? :-)

Jim.

davidbu@loowit.wr.tek.com (David E. Buxton) (04/04/91)

Regarding the reference to N.T. texts that supposedly dispose of the
Health Laws of Moses:

1) These are really texts that show that these health laws are not
   salvation laws.  If the New Testament clearly said you should not
   smoke tobacco whould you enter a smoke filled room in the context
   of witnessing - Paul would clearly say yes.  Would Paul advise
   you to go home and become a chain smoker?  No!  That was intended
   to serve as an illustration and not to claim that the N.T. speaks
   out against smoking.  I have read stories of Christians who have
   never touched alchohol before or since, but under singular
   circumstances have swallowed such beverage.  I know of health
   lecturers who are adament against Pork from a health perspective
   who have eaten Pork for the sake of Christian love.  But they do
   not return home and start to indulge in Pork.

   If we accept that the principles are health and Christian love then
   what about drugs?  Would we inject drugs for the sake of Christian
   love?  I have not heard of such examples.  So, it is purely
   hipothetical and yet worth considering.  The Bible does not
   specifically speak out against drugs and yet this is accepted as
   a Christian principle.

2) Peter's vision of the unclean animals illustrates the problem of
   working with Gentiles and not a dietary vision.  If you read the
   whole chapter and the 1st half of the following chapter it becamse
   clear that Peter's pork vision was really about the Gentiles that
   were so popularly shuned.  God wanted Peter to get busy and take
   the message to the Gentiles.  Peter had a tougher time of this
   than did Paul.

3) Jesus was asked about divorse.  His answer was that Moses was allowed
   to grant such laws of divorse, but God would rather humans did not
   need such laws.  In the wilderness they grew tired of the heaven
   sent Manna and adamantly called on God to serve them up the flesh
   pots of Egypt.  And so the Quail.  In the Bible we find other
   examples of God allowing humans certain things that are not the best
   for them.  We can search out these minimums and apply them or we
   can search out how God would really like to have us live - without
   the need of divorse, for example.

God has a far greater plan for us than the minimums that can be searched
out of the Bible.  God knows best what it takes for us to live happier
and healthier lives for Him.

Dave (David E. Buxton)

James.Quilty@comp.vuw.ac.nz (James William Quilty) (04/05/91)

In article <Apr.4.00.54.35.1991.14855@athos.rutgers.edu>,
davidbu@loowit.wr.tek.com (David E. Buxton) writes:
|> Regarding the reference to N.T. texts that supposedly dispose of the
|> Health Laws of Moses:

 There is no supposed about it, the CEREMONIAL laws of Moses are done
away with.  Upon what evidence can one say that the uncleanliness laws
& ceremonies are 'Health laws' ? Saying that it is implicitly obvious
won't cut it for me !  How can we humans discern God's thinking when
the Laws of the Old Testament: i.e. Do we have a right to say 'God
knew this... when God did this...  action" ?

|> God has a far greater plan for us than the minimums that can be searched
|> out of the Bible.  God knows best what it takes for us to live happier
|> and healthier lives for Him.

 Oh. yes ?
 Do you know where I can find out about this 'greater plan' ?

Jim.