[soc.religion.christian] "Children of God"

rvp@softserver.canberra.edu.au (Rey Paulo) (03/08/91)

I have thought of posting this question here in the hope of getting more
information about the group called "Children of God".  I first heard of
this group when I was in Thailand.  Based on what I heard, it appeared that
this group has been engaged in all sorts of activities which are really
unchristian despite the fact that they seem to preach love and christianity.
There have been some cases reported in the Thai media about the immoral
activities of the group.

About a couple of months ago, here in Australia, I heard the same bad
reports about the group in the media.  Does anyone out there have any idea
as to what exactly is this group and what sort of belief are they preaching?
--
Rey V. Paulo                          | Internet : rvp@csc.canberra.edu.au
University of Canberra                | "One and one and one is three"

taylor@homxa.att.com (Roberta L Taylor) (03/09/91)

In article <Mar.8.00.51.40.1991.24761@athos.rutgers.edu> rvp@softserver.canberra.edu.au (Rey Paulo) writes:

>I have thought of posting this question here in the hope of getting more
>information about the group called "Children of God".  I first heard of
>this group when I was in Thailand.  Based on what I heard, it appeared that
>this group has been engaged in all sorts of activities which are really
>unchristian despite the fact that they seem to preach love and christianity.

I'm not sure if this is the same group, but it sounds like it may be.  The
Children of God were very active back in the 1970's.  They were a "hippie-ish"
group which came under most people's definition of a cult.  I think they were
an outgrowth of the "Jesus Movement" of the early 70's.  They tended to live in
communes, and were accused of all the brainwashing stuff that most cults seem
to get accused of.

Their leader went by the name of Moses David;  I think his real name was David
Berg.  Their motto was "God's only law is love";  unfortunately, from such of
their literature as I read, they were talking more about eros than agape.  Among
the titles of tracts I recall were "Come On Ma, Burn Your Bra" and "Holy Holes",
both of which encouraged free sex as an expression of God's love.  One of their
tracts went so far as to encourage women to be "Hookers for Jesus."

My personal experience with them came around 1977, after a former high school
friend joined them in (I think) Colombia.  There was a "family" of the Children
living in my area, and I went to talk to them, to try to find out where my
friend was, and if he was okay.  (We hadn't heard anything in months.)  Several
friends were so afraid I'd be kidnapped and/or brainwashed, that I had a list
of people to call when I returned.  If I didn't call, they were going to send
the police to find me!

The first member of the group I met was a girl who called herself Patience.
Aside from seeming a little stoned, she was okay.  (I don't think she was
actually on drugs, she just seemed a little...airy?)  With her was her son,
who she instructed to quote a bunch of Scriptures and "Moses David verses" for
me.  One thing I'll say for them, a lot of us would do well to memorize
Scripture as well as that 4-year old!

I met with several other members;  for the most part, they didn't seem nearly
as off-base as I'd been led to expect.  We talked about the Lord, sang some
of their songs, I taught them some of mine, and we had a generally good time
of fellowship.  There was no pressure to join them, as I had been warned to
expect;  the closest thing was when someone came in and asked if I was joining
them or just visiting.  However, when I was leaving, they gave me a bunch of
their literature, and it was pretty far-out (as I mentioned above).  The fellow
who gave it to me was rather apologetic about Moses David's animosity towards
the organized churches.  All in all, I'd have to say that the particular
community I visited was pretty mild compared to their "ideal."

Were they "really" Christians?  Some of them, at least.  Misguided, though.
(IMHO, of course - only God knows for sure.)  As I recall, they were teaching
(more or less) a born-again experience and personal relationship with Jesus;
unfortunately, it was Moses David's interpretation that was the only "true"
interpretation of what that means.  I hadn't heard of them in years; last I
recall, they had changed the name to the "Love Family" or something like that
(around 10 years ago, at least) then they seemed to disappear.  I'd be very
interested to know if this is the same group.

----
| Roberta Taylor          |       Wanted: New or used, witty quote       |
| AT&T Bell Laboratories  |         Suitable to fill this boring         |
| Whippany, NJ            |               space in my .sig               |
| taylor@homxa.att.com    |                     :-)                      |

gowj@gatech.edu (James Gow) (04/05/91)

In article <Mar.9.01.22.20.1991.23379@athos.rutgers.edu> taylor@homxa.att.com (Roberta L Taylor) writes:
>In article <Mar.8.00.51.40.1991.24761@athos.rutgers.edu> rvp@softserver.canberra.edu.au (Rey Paulo) writes:
>
>>I have thought of posting this question here in the hope of getting more
>>information about the group called "Children of God".  I first heard of
>>this group when I was in Thailand.  Based on what I heard, it appeared that
>>this group has been engaged in all sorts of activities which are really
>>unchristian despite the fact that they seem to preach love and christianity.

I used to get their info here in Miami, florida. Recently what apperas to be
their group has changed their info. Daved Moses' name no longer appears on
the message, They do not put an address on literature. I requested one so as
to visit and later saw some with a po box. What we have heard here, the
capitol of cults, is that they in fact use sex as a way to convert people to
christianity. More recently child molestation was a charge brought agianst
some of the members. They are elusive and do not have an accessible
location.
linc
james