[soc.religion.christian] Gay Ordination in the Presbyterian Church

sc1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Stephen Chan) (03/05/91)

Excerpts from netnews.soc.religion.christian: 28-Feb-91 Re: Imposing
Christian mora.. Dan'l DanehyOakes@pacbel (1538)

> Christ also expects us not to judge one another.

	While I agree with this general statement, I that an important caveat
is that we don't fall into a degenerated state, where we are afraid to
condemn *actions* which are sinful.
	While we should not judge individuals, it is necessary to judge actions
and behaviors.

	Along this vein of homosexuality & Christianity, I read in the paper
this morning that a special commitee of the Presbyterian Church has
announced that it fully supports the ordination of homosexuals to the
priesthood. In the article, the commitee stated that condemnation of
homosexuality was morally equivalent to "racism", and is thus
antithetical to Christian morality.
	The commitee also failed to issue a denunciation of extra-marital sex.
	Are any Presbyterians out there familiar with this special commitee?
How representative is this opinion of the denomination as a whole, and
how much influence will it have?

	It seems like the content of "Christian Morality" is being _editted_ to
conform to current ideals of Political Correctness.
	Does anyone else notice the trend towards PC-Christianity?
	Are we looking at a change so fundamental, that it will dwarf the
Protestant Reformation in terms of alterations to the beliefs and
behavior of the faithful?

		Stephen Chan

[This was the General Assembly Special Taskforce on Human Sexuality.
A number of its recommendations are uncontroversial, and will probably
be acted on rather quickly.  However its recommendations on
homosexuality (and some other issues) will probably not be voted on
directly.  Rather, I believe the plan is to prepare study material and
have churches study the issues broadly, and then see if a concensus
can be developed.  Based on reactions in our Presbytery, which is
surely one of the most liberal in the country, I'd be very surprised
to see a decision at the national level to sanction homosexual
activity (though I could conceive of a change that again allows
presbyteries to decide based on their evaluation of individual cases
-- which is almost certainly what is happening anyway).

I am not convinced that a simple change in attitude towards
nhomosexuals -- even if it happened -- would be the major change in
beliefs that you imply.  Note that the Presbyterian Church (USA)
already approves (indeed requires) ordination of women.  This means we
have already decided that we cannot read ethics directly out of Paul's
fletters.  Given that, I have to regard the objections to
homosexuality within the PC(USA) as being based to a large extent on
personal distaste rather than Biblical grounds.

However some of the langauge used by the committee as justification
for its recommendations might have wider consequences.  I quote from
the News of the Presbyterian Church (USA): "The term 'justice-love'
permeates the report.  A section of the report on singles says: 'Where
there is justice-love, sexual expression has ethical integrity.  That
moral principle applies to single, as well as to married persons, to
gay, lesbian and bisexual persons, as well as to heterosexual persons.
The moral norm for Christians ought not to be marriage, but rather
justice-love.  Rather than inquiring whether sexual activity is
premarital, marital, or post-marital, we should be asking whether the
relation is responsible, the dynamics genuinely mutual, and the loving
full of joyful caing.  The line of moral inquiry directs people to
things that matter.'"

Whether or not this is an error, saying it is giving in to "political
correctness" seems to me simply name-calling.  There are cultural
pressures in all directions.  There's a tendency in conservative
circles these days to make "the family" a sacred value that sometimes
seems to come close to replacing God.  There are idols of all kinds
calling to the unwary.  I think we should do our fellow Christians the
courtesy of believing that they are actually considering things from a
Biblical point of view, rather than explaining away all disagreement
on the assumption that everyone else is giving into cultural
influences pointing in their direction, while we of course are
operating from pure Christian motivations.

I should note that there was a minority report.  The vote was 10 to 6
for the majority.  While the committee refused to pass on the minority
report to the General Assembly, it's clearly going to get there
anyway.  Both are being distributed by the G.A. offices to interested
parties.

--clh]

hammer@sp29.csrd.uiuc.edu (David Hammerslag) (03/07/91)

In article <Mar.4.23.58.13.1991.28690@athos.rutgers.edu>, sc1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Stephen Chan) writes:
>	It seems like the content of "Christian Morality" is being _editted_ to
>conform to current ideals of Political Correctness.
>	Does anyone else notice the trend towards PC-Christianity?
>	Are we looking at a change so fundamental, that it will dwarf the
>Protestant Reformation in terms of alterations to the beliefs and
>behavior of the faithful?

Whether it is "Political Correctness" or not, what disturbed me the most
was that the committee, after (correctly) observing that society's norms
are not in line with Church teaching, seemed to decide that it was the
Church that needed adjustment.

David Hammerslag            | Keep an open mind, but not so open that people
hammer@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu | throw garbage in.

art@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Arthur L Miller) (03/07/91)

In article <Mar.4.23.58.13.1991.28690@athos.rutgers.edu> sc1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Stephen Chan) writes:

>> Christ also expects us not to judge one another.
>
>	While I agree with this general statement, I that an important caveat
>is that we don't fall into a degenerated state, where we are afraid to
>condemn *actions* which are sinful.
>	While we should not judge individuals, it is necessary to judge actions
>and behaviors.

To which the moderator writes in regards to the recommendation by a
comittee of the Presbyterian Church to allow homosexuals to be ordained
as pastors:

>... I think we should do our fellow Christians the
>courtesy of believing that they are actually considering things from a
>Biblical point of view, rather than explaining away all disagreement
>on the assumption that everyone else is giving into cultural
>influences pointing in their direction, while we of course are
>operating from pure Christian motivations.

Maybe the PC(USA) had good intentions, but I find it hard to swallow
considering this passage from I Corinthians:

"Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God?
Do not be deceived:  Neither the sexually immoral nor idolators nor
adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders ... will inherit
the kingdom of God."  (Chapter 6, vv. 9-10, NIV)

If the leadership of the Presbyterian Church feels that Paul's letters
aren't adequate for spiritual insight perhaps they should publish their
own Bible and leave out the parts they don't like.

--
Arthur Miller		| art@casbah.acns.nwu.edu
Northwestern University	| "Evolution: A few links & a missing chain."

[It's not a matter ofa wanting things left out, but believing that
what makes sense in one context may not make sense in another.  This
does not mean ignoring Paul's advice, but rather watching how he
applied the Gospel to issues of his time and attempting to do
something similar for ours.  This does not mean that I agree with the
committee's report.  I haven't read it, and the summary I saw contains
some disturbing things.  But as moderator I attempt to advise people
on what lines of discussion are likely to be fruitful, and I can tell
you that basing discussions with Presbyterians on the assumption that
they simply throw things out when they find them inconvenient is not
going to go anywhere, because that's not what they are doing.  There
are certainly reasonable objections that can be made to the way the
PC(USA) (and other similar groups) handle Scripture.  But if you're
seriously trying to engage them in discussion -- as opposed to coming
up with ways to justify ignoring them -- I think it would be useful to
start with a bit more understanding of what they think they are doing.

By the way, this is just a special case of a more general problem in
this group.  There seems to be a tendency to package people up in
little boxes with labels like "idolatry", or "polytheist", and then
not to bother trying to understand what they are really doing.  That's
not to say that you will agree with what they are doing.  But I'd like
to suggest that people start by trying to get a clear understanding of
where others are coming from.

--clh]

dconnor@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Daren Connor) (03/08/91)

I occasionally attend a Presbyterian church here in the San Francisco bay
area, and last Sunday the head minister set aside a few minutes to mention
this subject.  His main points were that a) since the report did not represent
the majority views of Presbyterians (as evidenced by a recent poll), this
motion (or declaration or whatever it is exactly) is very unlikely to pass,
and b) in the unexpected event that it did pass, he assured the congregation
that it would be ignored at THIS particular church (presumeably because
it did not represent the majority views there).  He also promised a couple
sermons addressing the issues in the future.  Apparently several members
had mentioned the report to him and were concerned that the church might
be affected by its passing.  He seemed to want to assure them that they would
stick to their Biblically-based doctrine and not cave in to the pressures
of this group.

I take issue with the moderator's remarks in the basenote.  Paul's writings in
the new testament are not the only portions of scripture that condemn sexual
immorality and homosexuality, so by saying that the Presbyterian church
threw out his teaching on womens' role in the church means they should accept
homosexual practices is banal (not to mention the fact that many people don't
agree that what he teaches there means that women may not have such a role
in church in the first place).

Though "political correctness" may not be quite the right term, I don't
believe it's far off.  I think what we're seeing, in general, is a lot of
pressures on churches to bend to the man's selfish wants, which are constantly
inflamed by the media.  How much of the time do we have shoved down our throats
the message that "sex-is-ok-if-you-really-love-the-person"?  You are almost
ridiculed in many social circles if you hold those "antiquated views" about
wanting to reserve your sexuality for the boundaries of marriage, even
though we have examples all around us (unwanted pregnancies, AIDS, etc) of
the consequences of not following this teaching.  Of course, this is not to
say that marriage is any panacea; I think we're all aware by now of the
incredible struggles there are in any marriage.  So even though "pc" may
be ill-fitting, it's probably the closest term we've got so far.

- Daren Connor

[Sorry if I said something unclear. I was not attempting to give an
argument for acceptance of homosexuality.  In fact I believe one can
formulate grounds for accepting ordination of women and while still
not accepting ordination of homosexuals.  My response was to the claim
that acceptance of homosexuals would have great and farreaching
effects on the PC(USA).  My comments were intended strictly to inform
people about the detailed situation within the PC(USA), which I
believe is such that allowing ordination of homosexuals would not be
the revolution in that church that it would be, e.g., if the Southern
Baptist Convention adopted such a change.

First, as to any theological implications: As far as I can tell, the
primary difference in Protestant churches today is in how they use
Scripture.  In deciding to ordain women, the PC(USA) has already
crossed the line.  Thus I don't believe ordination of homosexuals
alone would indicate any change in the basic attitude towards
Scripture that hasn't already been made.  I do not mean to imply that
the current stand forces us to ordain homosexuals, just that if we
decide to ordain them, we already have at hand the necessary types of
arguments, and so we will not need to make majors changes in our
approach to Scripture to do so.

Second, as to any practical effects: The current stand on homosexuals
is murkier than many may realize, and officially accepting them for
ordination may not be as much of a change as it sounds.  In the
Presbyterian system, decisions on ordination of pastors lie primarily
with the presbyteries, and decisions on ordination of ruling elders
lie primarily with the session.  Higher bodies can intervene if they
wish, but it's unusual.  Under the current policy, those presbyteries
or sessions that do not see it as a problem are unlikely to raise the
issue with candidates, except in extreme circumstances.  As far as I
know, the current policy, while stating that ordination of homosexuals
is not correct, does not allow one to challenge someone who is already
ordained on the grounds that he is a homosexual.  (I seem to recall a
"no witch-hunts" provision.)  It also includes language saying that we
oppose "homophobia".  If the policy changes, it's unlikely that it
will change far enough to force presbyteries or sessions to ordain
homosexuals if they don't want to.  It will more likely simply allow
them to make decisions based on their assessment of the individual,
which I suspect is what is happening anyway.

Finally, any effect on broader questions of sexual ethics would depend
strongly on the arguments used and what other changes on sexual issues
are "packaged" with any change in approach to homosexuals.  As I
commented originally, if all of the analysis in the report is accepted
(and if the summary I've seen is representative of the whole document)
that *would* be a major change.  However if we wanted to allow
ordination of homosexuals without making any other changes in sexual
ethics, we would simply rescind the current policy, and say that we
trust the individual church bodies to apply proper Biblical criteria
for choosing officers.  Then those who already believe homosexuality
is acceptable -- and there certainly are such within our church --
would proceed and those who don't wouldn't.

Again, these comments are not intended to advocate one result or the
other, just to try to clarify the current situation within the PC(USA).

--clh]

djohnson@ucsd.edu (Darin Johnson) (03/09/91)

>Maybe the PC(USA) had good intentions, but I find it hard to swallow
>considering this passage from I Corinthians:
>
>"Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God?
>Do not be deceived:  Neither the sexually immoral nor idolators nor
>adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders ... will inherit
>the kingdom of God."  (Chapter 6, vv. 9-10, NIV)
>
>If the leadership of the Presbyterian Church feels that Paul's letters
>aren't adequate for spiritual insight perhaps they should publish their
>own Bible and leave out the parts they don't like.

But then again, a list of other people who won't inherit the kingdom
of God: The rich (no bizarre explanations of miniature camels and
WD-40 please), the tax collectors, the modern form of the pharisee,
those who dishonor their parents.  If you have not yet fit into this
list, how about the liars, those who bear grudges, those who are not
meek, etc.  In other words, all have sinned, and none shall inherit
the kingdom of God.  Pretty harsh?  Well, there's another verse that
says through Jesus Christ all things are possible - so even though we
cannot inherit the kingdom of God, it will be made possible.

As a side note, I find it irksome at times that MANY people just love
prioritizing sin, making some "worse" than others.  This just isn't
the case.  A hateful word spoken to another separates one from God
just as far as being sexually immoral.  There are probably some people
who, while refusing a homosexual from entering their church (or state),
applaud a dishonest politician for being "Christian" because they vote
the correct way.  And I'm sure one can find recent examples of
churches which ensure that no homosexual is ordained, yet fail to
screen against the "lesser" sins.
--
Darin Johnson
djohnson@ucsd.edu

mib@wookumz.ai.mit.edu (Michael I Bushnell) (03/09/91)

In article <Mar.8.01.27.13.1991.25012@athos.rutgers.edu> OFM writes:

   Second, as to any practical effects: The current stand on homosexuals
   is murkier than many may realize, and officially accepting them for
   ordination may not be as much of a change as it sounds. ...
   ... If the policy changes, it's unlikely that it
   will change far enough to force presbyteries or sessions to ordain
   homosexuals if they don't want to.  It will more likely simply allow
   them to make decisions based on their assessment of the individual,
   which I suspect is what is happening anyway.

My personal experience may inject some light here, as well.  The
moderators comments here are quite correct.  In my old congregation, I
was considered for selection as an elder, and when I brought up the
subject of homosexuality with the relevant individuals, they indicated
it would be no bar.  I was ultimately not ordained because I was
moving out of state.

In the only case I'm personally familiar with of the ordination of a
minister, the presbytery adopted a "wait and see" attitude, pending
the receipt of the committes reports.  It seemed quite clear, however,
that if the General Assembly reinforced a ban on gay ordination, the
presbytery would seriously consider challenging that ban and ordaining
anyway.

My current congregation is federated between the United Church of
Christ and the PCUSA.  The UCC permits gay ordination, and the PCUSA
(sort of) doesn't.  Our church simply ordains whoever it sees fit, and
if a challenge is raised (which no one seriously expects) we will
point out that non-discrimination is virtually required by the UCC.

	-mib

mls@sfsup.att.com (Mike Siemon) (03/09/91)

In article <Mar.7.03.52.17.1991.21909@athos.rutgers.edu>,
art@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Arthur L Miller) writes:

> Maybe the PC(USA) had good intentions, but I find it hard to swallow
> considering this passage from I Corinthians:

I don't want to start yet another round through the texts.  But I think
Mr. Miller should understand that matters are not quite as cut and dried
as he seems to think.  While I will usually argue that we may use English
translations for theological discussion, this is NOT such a case, because
the original Greek is, in fact, obscure to the point of incomprehensibility.

The translators who obligingly give you a "clear" and generic anti-homosexual
"message" in this passage (and the same is true, in essence, of the others)
are doing no more than providing what they THINK Paul meant.  That really
amounts to nothing more than the continual regeneration of *cultural* pre-
judice.

It is, indeed *possible* to draw the conclusion "homosexuality is sinful" out
of the texts of Paul's letters.  It is also possible, to look honestly and
prayerfully at these same passages and conclude, "no, that is NOT what Paul
was getting at."  Or at least that the matter is one in which WE are called
to discern the correct path for ourselves, with allowance for our fellow
Christians who are "convinced in their own minds" on this issue.

There is NO clear and indisputable condemnation of homosexuality in the New
Testatment (and the context of condemnations in the OT is also not really
clear, in particular it is not clear whether Jewish law on this should be
taken *by Christians* [I can in no way speak for Jews, for whom this putative
distinction is irrelevant] as "moral" or perhaps rather as "ritual" law.)

Again, I do NOT want to rehash the texts here again.  Rather, I am seconding
the request by the moderator that Mr. Miller protested:

--
Michael L. Siemon		"O stand, stand at the window,
m.siemon@ATT.COM		    As the tears scald and start;

arm@neon.stanford.edu (Alexander d Macalalad) (03/11/91)

In article <Mar.8.01.27.13.1991.25012@athos.rutgers.edu> dconnor@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Daren Connor) writes:
>Though "political correctness" may not be quite the right term, I don't
>believe it's far off.  I think what we're seeing, in general, is a lot of
>pressures on churches to bend to the man's selfish wants, which are constantly
>inflamed by the media.  How much of the time do we have shoved down our throats
>the message that "sex-is-ok-if-you-really-love-the-person"?  You are almost
>ridiculed in many social circles if you hold those "antiquated views" about
>wanting to reserve your sexuality for the boundaries of marriage, even
>though we have examples all around us (unwanted pregnancies, AIDS, etc) of
>the consequences of not following this teaching.  Of course, this is not to
>say that marriage is any panacea; I think we're all aware by now of the
>incredible struggles there are in any marriage.  So even though "pc" may
>be ill-fitting, it's probably the closest term we've got so far.
>
>- Daren Connor

1)  Unwanted pregnancies and AIDS do occur within the boundaries of marriage.
(I cannot say anything about "etc".)

2)  Unwanted pregnancies and AIDS can effectively be avoided even outside the
boundaries of marriage.  (Again, "etc" is a mystery to me.)

Clearly, if your goal is to teach how to avoid unwanted pregnancies and AIDS,
reserve-your-sexuality-for-the-boundaries-of-marriage is the wrong lesson.

How many times must I have shoved down my throat the message that "AIDS-is-
a-punishment-from-God"?  Daren, are you also suggesting that blood transfusions
are sinful?

This is unchristian, bad theology, and dangerous health policy.  I'd rather
be "pc" any day.

george@electro.com (George Reimer) (03/12/91)

In article <Mar.9.01.11.32.1991.23246@athos.rutgers.edu> mls@sfsup.att.com (Mike Siemon) writes:

>...... in particular it is not clear whether Jewish law on this should be
>taken *by Christians*

I felt a need to clarify this point. The Old Testament laws were not
given to the Jews, but rather to the Israelites. Persons who take on
the faith of Christ are of the seed of Abraham, grafted on so to
speak. Those who respond now to God's calling are promised rulership
as kings and priests, thus becoming spiritual Jews. In other words, a
unique part of the whole. ( ie. All Californians are Americans, but
not all Americans are Californians. The laws of America apply to all
Americans, Californians, landed immigrants etc. etc. )

Therefore, on the contrary, it quite clear that God's laws are to be
taken by His own.

--

"I almost think that in certain cases yes, and in others, no....."
                                                    George  egroeG

brendan@cs.uq.oz.au (Brendan Mahony) (03/12/91)

In <Mar.11.02.37.20.1991.5423@athos.rutgers.edu> arm@neon.stanford.edu (Alexander d Macalalad) writes:

>1)  Unwanted pregnancies and AIDS do occur within the boundaries of marriage.
>(I cannot say anything about "etc".)

>2)  Unwanted pregnancies and AIDS can effectively be avoided even outside the
>boundaries of marriage.  (Again, "etc" is a mystery to me.)

>Clearly, if your goal is to teach how to avoid unwanted pregnancies and AIDS,
>reserve-your-sexuality-for-the-boundaries-of-marriage is the wrong lesson.

So you have figures to show that AIDS and un-wanted pregnancies are more
likely within Christian marriage than amongst those practicing "safe"
sex? If not, you cannot say that this message is wrong, only that you
don't want to hear it, that you prefer to hear other messages.

>How many times must I have shoved down my throat the message that "AIDS-is-
>a-punishment-from-God"?

It is not a punishment from God. However the prevalence of AIDS is
caused by the unwillingness of people to accept the world as God made
it. If you stand near an unstable cliff to see the beautiful view, then
it is not a punishment from God if the cliff collapses. It is your own
doing, don't blame God for making the beautiful cliff.

--
Brendan Mahony                   | brendan@batserver.cs.uq.oz
Department of Computer Science   | heretic: someone who disgrees with you

[Let's step back and start this discussion again -- if you really want
to continue it.  Alexander's basic comments seemed reasonable:
Christians need to be careful about using unwanted pregnancies and
AIDS as arguments for Christians sexual ethics.  The dangers of these
arguments are (1) are these really our justifications?  If there's a
better way to get rid of AIDS, will we give up our sexual ethics and
pursue this way?  (2) they can easily lead to an incorrect impression
of judgement.  While I understand that you don't think God is
specifically imposing AIDS as a punishment, this is an impression that
Christians have given, and we need to be careful in our presentations
to avoid it.

On the other hand, I do understand that you intended a somewhat
more subtle point than "AIDS-as-a-punishment-from-God."  I think
it's fine for Christians to point out that Christian ethics do
have practical advantages, in that we can identify some dangers
that they protect us from.  As long as we don't give the impression
that that's all they are.

Perhaps you can each count to 10 before responding.

--clh]

math1h3@jetson.uh.edu (03/13/91)

In article <Mar.8.22.43.57.1991.20087@athos.rutgers.edu>, djohnson@ucsd.edu (Darin Johnson) writes:
>>Maybe the PC(USA) had good intentions, but I find it hard to swallow
>>considering this passage from I Corinthians:
>>
>>"Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God?
>>Do not be deceived:  Neither the sexually immoral nor idolators nor
>>adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders ... will inherit
>>the kingdom of God."  (Chapter 6, vv. 9-10, NIV)
>
> But then again, a list of other people who won't inherit the kingdom
> of God: The rich,[deltions] the tax collectors, the modern form of the
> pharisee, those who dishonor their parents.[deletions]  In other words, all
> have sinned, and none shall inherit the kingdom of God.  Pretty harsh?
> Well, there's another verse that says through Jesus Christ all things are
> possible - so even though we cannot inherit the kingdom of God, it will be
> made possible.

I don't deny that I am a sinner.  I would think that very few of those
who oppose ordination of homosexuals feel otherwise.  It is by God's
grace alone that we are saved.

> As a side note, I find it irksome at times that MANY people just love
> prioritizing sin, making some "worse" than others.  This just isn't
> the case.  A hateful word spoken to another separates one from God
> just as far as being sexually immoral.  There are probably some people
> who, while refusing a homosexual from entering their church (or state),
> applaud a dishonest politician for being "Christian" because they vote
> the correct way.  And I'm sure one can find recent examples of
> churches which ensure that no homosexual is ordained, yet fail to
> screen against the "lesser" sins.
> --

To a certain point, I agree with this.  But the real question is, can
we ordain people to the public ministry, who admit their homosexuality
and deny that this is sinful?  At the very least they are guilty of
preaching false doctrine, which would be enough, in my opinion, to
justify excommunicating them.  I can see where we might ordain a man who
admits to homosexuality, confesses that this is sin, and in whom we
see evidence of repentance.  On the other hand, one would not have to think
too hard to find a number of reasons why this would not be advisable.

"Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife,
temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not
given to much wine, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover
of money.  He must manage his own family well and see that his children
obey him with proper respect.  (If anyone does not know how to manage
his own family, how can he take care of God's church?)  He must not
be a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under the same
judgement as the devil.  He must also have a good reputation with outsiders,
so that he will not fall into disgrace and into the devil's trap."
--1 Timothy 3:2-7

Generally this passage is regarded as listing the Scriptural qualifications
for a pastor.  I don't read it as saying that a pastor has to be married,
although it certainly speaks against requiring pastors or priests to be
celibate.  It does say that he must be 'respectable', and of a 'good reputation
with outsiders'.  I don't see how a christian church can preach what Scripture
says about homosexuality, and ordain a homosexual.  How can the church regard
such a man as 'respectable' and 'having a good reputation with outsiders'?

The church that refuses to ordain unrepentant homosexuals is not saying
that homosexuality is a worse sin than some others (speeding, for example).
It is simply saying that homosexuality is sin and to ordain an admitted,
unrepentant homosexual is very poor Christian witness.  In fact such ordination
disgraces the church.

David H. Wagner
a confessional Lutheran
and a former Presbyterian.

My opinions and beliefs on this matter are disclaimed by
The University of Houston.

[In retrospect, I think it's probably a bad idea for those who favor
ordination of homosexuals to use the argument that one particular sin
is being discriminated against.  Generally those who favor ordination
of homosexuals do not believe that homosexuality is a sin at all.
From the point of view of someone who does believe it is a sin, the
unusual thing about ordaining homosexuals is precisely that typically
they do not acknowledge it to be a sin.  You might ordain an
alcoholic, depending upon details of his personal situation.  But you
probably would not ordain someone who taught that alcoholism is an
acceptable Christian lifestyle.  This raises interesting issues about
the relative importance of practicing and preaching, but I think one
could justify this stand.  --clh]

brendan@cs.uq.oz.au (Brendan Mahony) (03/13/91)

Moderator:
>While I understand that you don't think God is
>specifically imposing AIDS as a punishment, this is an impression that
>Christians have given, and we need to be careful in our presentations
>to avoid it.

How are we to watch the pain in our brothers and sisters, and resist
telling them that it is because they will not look at the world that
God has created?

>On the other hand, I do understand that you intended a somewhat
>more subtle point than "AIDS-as-a-punishment-from-God."  I think
>it's fine for Christians to point out that Christian ethics do
>have practical advantages, in that we can identify some dangers
>that they protect us from.  As long as we don't give the impression
>that that's all they are.

Actually I don't know what else our morals are if they do not give a
practical advantage. Are they just terrible disciplines imposed on us by
a mean God who hates to see people have fun? Morals direct us to where
true happiness may be found in a world which was created by God
according to His Will. If we find better ways we should and do change
our ethics.

--
Brendan Mahony                   | brendan@batserver.cs.uq.oz
Department of Computer Science   | heretic: someone who disgrees with you
University of Queensland         | about something neither of you knows
Australia                        | anything about.

[You ask how we are to watch pain in our brothers and sisters without
telling them it's because they blew it.  I think once people have AIDS
it's a little late to tell them about the advantages of monogamy.
That sounds like a more appropriate message for other contexts.  In
working with people who are suffering, I think we need to be very
careful to avoid saying things that might reasonably look like (or be)
gloating.  --clh]

In <Mar.12.04.19.10.1991.1697@athos.rutgers.edu> george@electro.com (George Reimer) writes:

>Therefore, on the contrary, it quite clear that God's laws are to be
>taken by His own.

Must Christians be circumcised?
May they eat pork?
Must they shun those with skin disease?
.
.
.
.

--
Brendan Mahony                   | brendan@batserver.cs.uq.oz
Department of Computer Science   | heretic: someone who disgrees with you
University of Queensland         | about something neither of you knows
Australia                        | anything about.

brendan@cs.uq.oz.au (Brendan Mahony) (03/14/91)

Moderator:
>[You ask how we are to watch pain in our brothers and sisters without
>telling them it's because they blew it.  I think once people have AIDS
>it's a little late to tell them about the advantages of monogamy.
>That sounds like a more appropriate message for other contexts.  In
>working with people who are suffering, I think we need to be very
>careful to avoid saying things that might reasonably look like (or be)
>gloating.  --clh]

Well put. It seems that others are focusing more on the subject of AIDS
than I am. The pain I was referring to was the pain involved in the
lifestyle they lead, not in any resulting disease. Being in Australia
AIDS tends toward the abstract for me, whilst the miseries of multiple
dating, drugs, drunk driving and other unwise lifestyles abound.

--

mib@churchy.ai.mit.edu (Michael I Bushnell) (03/18/91)

In article <Mar.14.04.13.31.1991.25553@athos.rutgers.edu> brendan@cs.uq.oz.au (Brendan Mahony) writes:

   Well put. It seems that others are focusing more on the subject of AIDS
   than I am. The pain I was referring to was the pain involved in the
   lifestyle they lead, not in any resulting disease. Being in Australia
   AIDS tends toward the abstract for me, whilst the miseries of multiple
   dating, drugs, drunk driving and other unwise lifestyles abound.

Now this is getting ridiculous.  Let's say it again.  Being gay, and
having gay sex, is not directly related to multiple dating at all.
How drugs and drunk driving got into it is completely beyond me.

And, if the assumption is that being gay is inherently unhappy, or
disappointing, it certainly isn't any worse than being a woman in our
society.  It's roughly on a par with being a member of any oppressed
group.  It's got its own problems, and its own joys.  But it is simply
a factual error (and one which causes lots of grief on its own) to
claim that being gay is inherently unhappy.

	-mib

dyer@spdcc.com (Steve Dyer) (03/19/91)

In article <Mar.14.04.13.31.1991.25553@athos.rutgers.edu> brendan@cs.uq.oz.au (Brendan Mahony) writes:
>The pain I was referring to was the pain involved in the
>lifestyle they lead, not in any resulting disease. Being in Australia
>AIDS tends toward the abstract for me, whilst the miseries of multiple
>dating, drugs, drunk driving and other unwise lifestyles abound.

The lifestyles WHO lead?  You know, I don't know what you think most
gay people spend their time doing, but I'll bet it resembles everyone
else's pretty closely.

Also, there's probably a lot more AIDS in Australia than there are people who
suffer from "the miseries of multiple dating".

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

[The current discussion has not been a full-scale presentation of the
issues, because none of those favoring Christian acceptance of
homosexaulity has chosen to present their case in any detailed way.
Their contributions have been restricted to rather limited responsesn,
such as this one.  I can't say that I blame them.  Eventually one gets
tired of saying that same things over and over again, and this issue
has been discussed many times in the past.  But I've always read their
proposals as calling for a homosexual equivalent of marriage.  That
is, they seemed to be calling for Christians to broaden their concept
of acceptable sexual relationships, but not to drop all standards of
sexual conduct.  I get the feeling that some of those on the other
side are envisioned a "gay lifestyle" based on news reports of gay sex
clubs.  Discussion is going to be hard if people have radically
different things in mind when they talk about homosexual activity.
It's clear that the likelihood of getting AIDS is very different under
the two models.  --clh]

tblake@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Thomas Blake) (03/19/91)

OFM writes...

>[In retrospect, I think it's probably a bad idea for those who favor
>ordination of homosexuals to use the argument that one particular sin
>is being discriminated against.  Generally those who favor ordination
>of homosexuals do not believe that homosexuality is a sin at all.
>From the point of view of someone who does believe it is a sin, the
>unusual thing about ordaining homosexuals is precisely that typically
>they do not acknowledge it to be a sin.  You might ordain an
>alcoholic, depending upon details of his personal situation.  But you
>probably would not ordain someone who taught that alcoholism is an
>acceptable Christian lifestyle.  This raises interesting issues about
>the relative importance of practicing and preaching, but I think one
>could justify this stand.  --clh]

I happen to be fond of Bacon-Double-Cheeseburgers.  Even though I can
find good reason in the Bible why this may be a sin, and it has been
shown to be a health risk, I persist, and I am unrepentant, worst of all
I am proud and boastful in that (respectively, I don't believe that God
will damn me for this and I'm telling all of you about it.)

Now, should I (on the basis that I am arguable an unrepentant sinner) be
denied ordination?  Should I be required to refrain from eating BDC's
as a condition of ordination?  Should I be forbidden to mention my
belief that I won't go to hell for eating BDC's?  Should I tolerate the
serving of BDC's at church functions?

						Tom Blake
						SUNY-Binghamton

jhpb@granjon.garage.att.com (03/20/91)

Someone wrote:

    > As a side note, I find it irksome at times that MANY people just love
    > prioritizing sin, making some "worse" than others.  This just isn't
    > the case.  A hateful word spoken to another separates one from God
    > just as far as being sexually immoral.  There are probably some people
    > who, while refusing a homosexual from entering their church (or state),
    > applaud a dishonest politician for being "Christian" because they vote
    > the correct way.  And I'm sure one can find recent examples of
    > churches which ensure that no homosexual is ordained, yet fail to
    > screen against the "lesser" sins.

I think the distinction of sins is *precisely* the issue with
homosexuality, and something that so many seem to be confused on.  Some
sins, not completely repented of, deserve Hell, and some do not.  All
sins deserve punishment, but some deserve eternal punishment, others
only temporal.

There are plenty of people who deny this.  Fortunately, they are
inconsistent in their beliefs, and follow their consciences, not their
theology.

Everyone understands that there are just some things that one does NOT
do.  Striking one's father, murdering someone, grand theft, or
frequenting houses of prostitution are things that a follower of Christ
does NOT do.

People may SAY that these things are equivalent to, say, making a sharp
remark to someone when provoked in a high pressure situation, but in
reality, they don't ACT that way.  Some sins have to be completely cut
out of one's life all at once, others are of a lesser sort that need to
be worked on over time.

Homosexual thoughts, words, or actions CANNOT be engaged in, if one
wishes to enter the kingdom of Heaven.  They're sins of the grave kind,
like murder, large theft.

credmond@watmath.waterloo.edu (Chris Redmond) (03/22/91)

In article <Mar.20.04.08.41.1991.9698@athos.rutgers.edu>
jhpb@granjon.garage.att.com presents an argument that amounts to
"I think some sins matter more than others, so God thinks so too."

For instance:

>Some
>sins, not completely repented of, deserve Hell, and some do not.  All
>sins deserve punishment, but some deserve eternal punishment, others
>only temporal.
>There are plenty of people who deny this.

Well, maybe I'm one of them.  It depends on what you mean by "deserve".
We all deserve far worse than we get -- if I were to say that according
to Christian theology we all deserve hell, could you really disagree?

>Everyone understands that there are just some things that one does NOT
>do.  Striking one's father, murdering someone, grand theft, or
>frequenting houses of prostitution are things that a follower of Christ
>does NOT do.

Does not do? Or just should not do?

>People may SAY that these things are equivalent to, say, making a sharp
>remark to someone when provoked in a high pressure situation, but in
>reality, they don't ACT that way.  Some sins have to be completely cut
>out of one's life all at once, others are of a lesser sort that need to
>be worked on over time.

Because the former are more serious when committed once?  Or because
they are easier to eradicate?  Personally I have no trouble cutting out
murder.  None at all.  Come to think of it, I haven't been to any
houses of prostitution lately, either.  But I really don't think it's
because I consider those offences "more serious", so much as because
the temptation is so much rarer.

If I *did* feel the frequent temptation to visit brothels, and gave in to
it occasionally, would that rule me out as a follower of Christ? Or would
it just point to the moral weakness where I need to concentrate my effort,
while you concentrate yours on your bad temper?

>Homosexual thoughts, words, or actions CANNOT be engaged in, if one
>wishes to enter the kingdom of Heaven.  They're sins of the grave kind,
>like murder, large theft.

Says you.

Somebody who is less lazy (now that's REALLY where I need to concentrate
my moral effort ;-]) please post the relevant Bible verses. You know --
the ones where Jesus says that the serious sins are those inside the
heart; calling one's brother a fool; looking at a woman as a piece of meat
instead of a fellow-human, a friend; little weaknesses like that.

CAR

pdj7631@rigel.tamu.edu (JONES, PAUL DAVID) (03/22/91)

In article <Mar.20.04.08.41.1991.9698@athos.rutgers.edu>, jhpb@granjon.garage.att.com writes...

>Homosexual thoughts, words, or actions CANNOT be engaged in, if one
>wishes to enter the kingdom of Heaven.  They're sins of the grave kind,
>like murder, large theft.

I find it interesting that you see having "homosexual thoughts" as being on the
same moral plane as murder.  By your standards then, I'm as sinful (assuming
the truth of this relative sin scale, bad to worse; I know the bit about "all
are sinners", but that's not what I'm talking about) as, oh, Charles Manson.
I think that this is simply silly.  If you're going to assign variable values
to sins, you might at least be remotely reasonable about it.

______
\    /    Illithid  (Paul D. Jones)    Texas A&M, especially the Corps
 \  /     PDJ7631@venus.tamu.edu       of Cadets, stands staunchly behind
  \/             @rigel.tamu.edu       each and every one of my opinions.

[Generally statements such as this are made in the context of the idea
that even the most "minor" sin merits hell if not covered by Christ's
death, and even the "worst" sin is wiped away by it.  Thus in some
sense they are all the same.  The concern about distinguishing between
sins is that it leads people to make excuses: "Oh, well, this isn't a
really *serious* sin, not like that terrible thing that guy over there
is doing."  Of course from a practical point of view some sins have
immediate consequences that are far worse than others.  There seems to
be a disagreement as to whether this fact is of any significance for
Christianity.  The Catholic tradition has tended to have
well-developed systems for the nurture of souls.  As part of this it
has distinguished among sins, on the assumption that the amount of
damage done to the person is different and different spiritual
remedies are called for.  Protestants have tended to eschew this sort
of systematic discipline, and encourage everyone to throw themselves
on the mercy of Christ, independent of what they have done.  Under
that approach, it's not clear what is accomplished by distinguishing
among seriousness of sins.  We are encouraged to realize that the
careless word against our brother comes from the same corruption that
under other circumstances could result in murder.  Though certainly as
a matter of "civil righteousness" we understand that the visible
consequences of murder are more serious.  --clh]

jefff@locus.com (Jeff Fields) (03/22/91)

In article <Mar.20.04.08.41.1991.9698@athos.rutgers.edu> jhpb@granjon.garage.att.com writes:
>Homosexual thoughts, words, or actions CANNOT be engaged in, if one
>wishes to enter the kingdom of Heaven.  They're sins of the grave kind,
>like murder, large theft.

I would like to see evidence to back this rather idolatrous claim up. I fear
that you are coming very close to passing relative judgement and thus are
perilously near to usurping God's authority in adjucating sin. I am not
saying you have the right to rank sins relative to one another. Everyone
has the right to one's own opinion in this regard, but to boldly claim
that a certain sin absolutely and irrevocably leads to an other's damnation is
contrary to Christ's teachings.

-Jeff Fields

fasano@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Cathy Fasano) (03/25/91)

In article <Mar.20.04.08.41.1991.9698@athos.rutgers.edu> jhpb@granjon.garage.att.com writes:
>Homosexual thoughts, ... CANNOT be engaged in, if one
>wishes to enter the kingdom of Heaven.  They're sins of the grave kind,
>like murder, large theft.

Other people have dealt with this more substantively; I wish merely to
point out that this is *not* Roman Catholic teaching.  (Catholic teaching
is pretty well summed-up as the assertion that homosexuals are called to
a life of celibacy (a "life of celibacy" being quite well-defined in
Catholic teaching.))

Whether one believes the (in this case homosexual) action immoral or not,
merely considering the action is not in itself immoral.  As a general case
in moral theology, unacted-out temptation is never considered sinful -- in
fact, resisting temptation is considered a practical virtue to be prayed
for, studied and emulated.

--
Cathy Fasano
   aka:  Cathy Johnston fasano@unix.cis.pitt.edu cathy@gargoyle.uchicago.edu

"The Church and the World are jammed to the rafters these days with people
willing to get involved, get their hands dirty, take risks, make sacrifices,
hurl themselves at spears, lead the advance, inspire, illuminate, encourage,
organize and manage great affairs.  I find most such folks insufferable,
even if they are my brothers and sisters in Christ.  Where are the people
willing to sit on the sidelines and find fault?"        -- Michael O. Garvey

tblake@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Thomas Blake) (03/27/91)

[Joe Buehler commented that homosexual thoughts can't be engaged in
if you want to enter the kingdom on heaven.  Cathy Fasano objected
that considering the action is not in itself immoral.  Unacted-out
temptation is never considered sinful, as resisting temptation is
a virtue.  --clh]

Matthew 5:27-30

"You have heard that it was said, `Do not commit adultery.'  28 But now
I tell you: anyone who looks at a woman and wants to possess her is
guilty of committing adultery with her in his heart.  29 So if your
right eye causes you to sin, take it out and throw it away!  It is much
better for you to lose a part of your body than to have your whole body
thrown into hell.  30 If your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off
and throw it away!  It is much better for you to lose one of your limbs
than to have your whole body go off to hell.

I do not believe that Jesus is advocating self-mutilation here, I
believe he refers to parts of our spiritual makeup.  (Ex. If your desire
for a woman causes you to sin, purge yourself of that desire.)

						Tom Blake
						SUNY-Binghamton

jhpb@garage.att.com (04/01/91)

> [Joe Buehler commented that homosexual thoughts can't be engaged in
> if you want to enter the kingdom on heaven.  Cathy Fasano objected
> that considering the action is not in itself immoral.  Unacted-out
> temptation is never considered sinful, as resisting temptation is
> a virtue.  --clh]

I didn't see Cathy's response, so can only quote the moderator's
summary.

I was referring to the trilogy found in the Confiteor:

	I confess to Almighty God, to Blessed Mary ever-virgin, to blessed
	Michael the Archangel, [etc.]... that I have sinned exceedingly in
	thought, 	word, and deed...

What I meant was that one can commit sins of homosexuality without
anything but one's thoughts being involved.

Don't confuse temptation with sin here.  Just because bad thoughts pop
into one's mind, doesn't mean that sin is involved.  It depends on
whether one consents to the thoughts.

Our thoughts come from 3 things: ourselves, evil spirits, good spirits.

Here's an example that happened to me, by way of illustration.

I was driving along one night, on my way home.  I had to stop behind a
car at an intersection.  The driver, an old woman, was taking her time
making the turn.  All of a sudden, a disparaging comment about this old
woman popped into my mind.  This thought had absolutely *nothing* to do
with what I was thinking about at the time.  I was thinking about work,
as I recall.

The thought was from an evil spirit, most probably, because it was
*totally* unrelated to what I was thinking about.  It was a temptation,
and not a sin.  Had I dwelt on it, and said "Right on!", it would have
been a sin.

A further comment: I gave the thought/word/deed categorization; there
are others.  For example, somone who defends homosexuality, while not
strictly engaging in it himself, is guilty of it.  I mean that quite
literally -- someone who defends a sin has to answer for that sin at
their personal judgement.  This is sin by way of condoning, vs. doing.

Joe Buehler

[This comment does not refer specifically to Joe's posting, but to the
discussion as a whole: I think this discussion may be based on an
attempt to draw lines between black and white where there are often
shades of gray.  Someone who looks on all women as sex objects would
seem to be seriously sinful, even if they don't actually commit rape.
But suppose they have grown up in an environment where this was the
common view, but have now come to realize how hurtful it is.  They may
still have the thoughts, but they are engaged in an internal fight
against them.  Are their evil thoughts sin?  Yes, in some sense.  A
perfect Christian -- not to mention Christ -- would not have them.
But they have already repented, in the deepest sense of rejecting the
sin.  In C.S. Lewis' autobiography, "Surprised by Joy", he describes
his early experience among Christians.  He found that they had a very
different moral code than he was used to, and his immediate reaction
was simply to make sure that his own uncouth principles weren't
visible to them.  An uncharitable view of this is that he still had
evil thoughts, and this was simply hypocrisy.  But I don't think that
would be a fair assessment.  It was the earliest stage of what came to
be true repentance.  I believe this is not an unusual situation, but
in many ways the normal one.  It's what is meant by being "at the same
time justified and a sinner".  We need to recognize that our thoughts
are never pure, repent of our remaining unpurity, base our actions on
our best thoughts rather than our worst ones, and trust to God's grace
for the rest.  At times Christians have tried to define exactly what
degree of dwelling on the thought has to happen to make it a sin.  If
carried to excess, this sort of moral hairsplitting can lead people
into spending their time diagnosing their own spiritual state when
they should be out following Christ.  --clh]

James.Quilty@comp.vuw.ac.nz (James William Quilty) (04/02/91)

In article <Apr.1.02.27.55.1991.7132@athos.rutgers.edu>,
jhpb@garage.att.com writes:

|> Don't confuse temptation with sin here.  Just because bad thoughts
|> pop
|> into one's mind, doesn't mean that sin is involved.  It depends on
|> whether one consents to the thoughts.

   Why ? and who defines what 'sin' is ?
   Please don't counter with Mat 5:28 - I don't subcribe to the
   "if you've thought it, you've done it" interpretation of that verse,
   because I don't think that it makes any sense.

|> Our thoughts come from 3 things: ourselves, evil spirits, good spirits.

Is there a strong Biblical precedent for this ?

|> Here's an example that happened to me, by way of illustration.
   [deleted for brevity]
|> The thought was from an evil spirit, most probably, ...[deleted]

I (as a confirmed sceptic) would like you to prove that the thought
'came from an evil spirit' and not from your own subconcious, expressing
a perfectly HUMAN emotion, Pleeeeeaaase. :-)

|> A further comment: I gave the thought/word/deed categorization; there
|> are others.  For example, somone who defends homosexuality, while not
|> strictly engaging in it himself, is guilty of it.  I mean that quite
|> literally -- someone who defends a sin has to answer for that sin at
|> their personal judgement.  This is sin by way of condoning, vs. doing.
|>
|> Joe Buehler

Once again, who is it that has decided what a 'sin' is ?
If I 'defend homosexuality' would you say that I have sinned ?
Are you in a position to tell me what sin is for me ? for anyone ?

And aditionally:

|> [At times Christians have tried to define exactly what
|> degree of dwelling on the thought has to happen to make it a sin.  If
|> carried to excess, this sort of moral hairsplitting can lead people
|> into spending their time diagnosing their own spiritual state when
|> they should be out following Christ.  --clh]

 Who decides what 'a sin' is ?
Surely: "Anything that is not of faith is sin" ? (near the end of Romans 14)
so sin, like faith is a personal matter, not a universal one ??!!

Jim.

RJB@slacvm.slac.stanford.edu (Rich Belcinski) (04/03/91)

In article <Apr.2.03.50.49.1991.19881@athos.rutgers.edu>,
James.Quilty@comp.vuw.ac.nz (James William Quilty) says:

>   Why ? and who defines what 'sin' is ?
>   Please don't counter with Mat 5:28 - I don't subcribe to the
>   "if you've thought it, you've done it" interpretation of that verse,
>   because I don't think that it makes any sense.

  Sin, strictly defined, is anything that does not conform to the
  character of God.  So... what is the character of God like, you ask?
  If you believe that the Bible is the Word of God, then that is the
  place to look to find out.  If you think that the Bible is unadulter-
  ated (pardon the pun) b.s., then you're essentially back to "square
  one."  I'm not going to go into aplogetics now, and argue with you
  about the intellectual merits of faith (unless you want to... please
  use e-mail then).

  As for Mathhew 5:28, I'm not really sure of its context in relation
  to this thread.  However, it addresses the essential point that there
  is a "right" way to look at somebody, and a "damaging" way to look at
  somebody.  Lust is the obsessive desire to possess something.  The
  Bible does *not* say "never appreciate a woman" (or man for that
  matter), but it *does* say that lust crosses the line between
  appreciation of God's good work and idolatry.  This is something that
  has to be worked-out between the Christian and his in-dwelling
  spirit.  The "lust thresholds" are different from person to person.

  As far as Gay Ordination (subject of this thread, I think), the
  Bible is clear on what is acceptable sex practice and what is not.
  It is not logical to ordain practicing sinners in a church which
  believes that the Bible is the Word of God.  You can rant and rave
  all you want about "how it doesn't make sense," etc., but a Chris-
  tian has every right to believe that homosexuality is a sin
  (since God tells them so), and that Gay ordination is wrong.  This
  should not be interpreted as license to persecute gays.  The Christian
  church (ideally, anyway...) preaches love, and I have no problem with
  gays being church members as long as they're not practicing sinners.
  ("practicing" == "doing it without repentance before God.")

>|> Our thoughts come from 3 things: ourselves, evil spirits, good spirits.
>
>Is there a strong Biblical precedent for this ?

  Yes.  Romans 8:5-15 (Sin nature, Holy Spirit).  There are others, if
  you're *truly* interested in such.  (Otherwise, I won't waste your
  time as well as mine...)

>|> Here's an example that happened to me, by way of illustration.
>   [deleted for brevity]
>|> The thought was from an evil spirit, most probably, ...[deleted]
>
>I (as a confirmed sceptic) would like you to prove that the thought
>'came from an evil spirit' and not from your own subconcious, expressing
>a perfectly HUMAN emotion, Pleeeeeaaase. :-)

  Usually, thoughts that are completely "out-of-character" from a person
  are interpreted by people as "evil-spirit."  Thoughts from the subcon-
  cious are also biblical, so there is no need for intellectual defense
  here.  I don't think you really expect me to logically prove that there
  is a Satan.  If you did, I'd ask *you* to prove that there was a sub-
  conscious (pick your definition!).

>|> A further comment: I gave the thought/word/deed categorization; there
>|> are others.  For example, somone who defends homosexuality, while not
>|> strictly engaging in it himself, is guilty of it.  I mean that quite
>|> literally -- someone who defends a sin has to answer for that sin at
>|> their personal judgement.  This is sin by way of condoning, vs. doing.
>|>
>|> Joe Buehler

  Ah..... I don't know about *THAT*... I have never seen a passage about
  being *judged* in that way.  There are lots of passages about "causing
  others to fall" through actions that don't pull your own mind away from
  God, but does pull others' mind away from God.  The act isn't the sin;
  the callous disrespect for the spiritual life of others *IS*.  That
  is what the judgement is all about.  In all ways, the Christian is to
  put the spiritual well being of others before his own.  Does a
  minister defend homosexuality?  He's not guilty of homosexuality, but
  he will be judged for "spiritual damage caused..."

>Once again, who is it that has decided what a 'sin' is ?
>If I 'defend homosexuality' would you say that I have sinned ?
>Are you in a position to tell me what sin is for me ? for anyone ?

  There are lots of general guidelines (no murder, rape, etc...)

  But otherwise: no.  No-one can tell you what is sinful for you
  except God, who is the only one who has your "owners' manual."

  The apostle Paul writes a nice piece on "the believers' freedom"
  in I Corinthians 10:23-31.  This sums things up nicely.  You might
  even want to read the whole letter, since this theme crops-up
  again and again.

Richard J. Belcinski       | Any opinion expressed above is not      |
Bitnet: RJB@SLACVM.BITNET  | necessarily that of SLAC or the US DOE. |

harling@uunet.uu.net (Dan Harling) (04/03/91)

In article <Mar.18.11.22.10.1991.7345@athos.rutgers.edu>, hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Tom Blake) writes:

> I happen to be fond of Bacon-Double-Cheeseburgers.  Even though I can
> find good reason in the Bible why this may be a sin, and it has been
> shown to be a health risk, I persist, and I am unrepentant, worst of all
> I am proud and boastful in that (respectively, I don't believe that God
> will damn me for this and I'm telling all of you about it.)
>
> Now, should I (on the basis that I am arguable an unrepentant sinner) be
> denied ordination?  Should I be required to refrain from eating BDC's
> as a condition of ordination?  Should I be forbidden to mention my
> belief that I won't go to hell for eating BDC's?  Should I tolerate the
> serving of BDC's at church functions?
>
> Tom Blake
> SUNY-Binghamton

In Romans 14, Paul speaks of the "weaker brother," who stumbles at the
thought of eating meat sacrificed to idols, perhaps because he feels
that it is a form of idol worship.  In his case, such an action would
be an obstacle to his faith.  Paul clearly states that, for this weaker
brother, eating meat sacrificed to idols is a sin.  He also clearly
states that eating meat sacrificed to idols is not a sin in itself.
However, Paul does say that it is wrong for you to in any way (by word
or by example) encourage him to eat meat sacrificed to idols, thereby
leading him into sin.

Even if you are convinced that homosexuality is not a sin (and I,
frankly, do not share that opinion), there are many people for which it
would be.  Those in a position of authority have a great responsibility
for those under their care, including the responsibility for providing
a good model of behavior.

A pastor/minister who eats meat sacrificed to idols conveys the message
that "it must be okay," and those weaker brothers in the congregation
may be led astray.  Likewise, a pastor/minister who is an active
homosexual would convey the message that "it must be okay" to those of
the congregation for whom homosexuality is a sin, possibly leading them
astray.

Therefore, whether or not you believe that homosexuality is a sin for
you, there can be no question as to whether an active homosexual who
denies that his actions are sinful should be put in a position of
leadership, where his example will be scrutinized by his congregation
and the world in general, and taken by some as license to stumble.

I will also let you answer that question for yourself.

Yours in Christ,
Daniel A. Harling                                     PictureTel, Inc.
8 Forest Street                                       Peabody, MA
Rockport, MA
(508) 546-9003	Opinions are the sole property of Daniel A. Harling.
		Any rebroadcast, retransmission, or reproduction of
		these opinions is permitted, provided this notice
		remains attached.  So there.

[Of course if you believe it's a sin, there's no issue.  But if you
don't, the argument of "weaker brethren" may be harder to apply than
you suggest.  As far as I can tell, Paul does not suggest that we
should avoid teaching freedom from the Law for fear of offending the
weaker brethren.  Indeed he continually reaffirms Christian freedom.
Nor does it seem to me that he proposes to hide the fact that he
practices such freedom.  Rather, it seems to me that what he suggests
is avoiding situations that are specifically likely to encourage
people to violate their consciences.  Certainly serving meat to those
who have scruples, and maybe even eating in their presence.  But not
teaching about our freedom from the Law.  I agree with you that people
who hold more "liberal" standards need to exercize restraint, to avoid
tempting people who are not enlightened to violate their own
consciences.  But I don't think this extends so far that they should
hide what they believe.

The situation of homosexuality is a particularly difficult one (again,
assuming for the moment that the act is not itself sinful), because
there are two dangers to be avoided.  I agree with you that if someone
is tempted to homosexual activity but feels it is wrong, it's a bad
idea to encourage them to violate their conscience.  However there are
a number of people who are already practicing homosexuals, and who
consider themselves beyond the pale of the church, and sometimes
failures as a human being.  (I'm basing this on testimonies of
homosexuals posted in this group in the past.)  It could help such
people to see homosexual pastors.

Thus I think there are situations in which having homosexual pastors
could present a danger, and other situations in which it could help
bring people to Christ.  So what do you do?  I hate to get into a
situation of counting the number of people who are damaged each way,
and writing off the lesser number.  What I would hope is that in a
properly operating church, the pastor is more than a statue that is
stuck up front as an example.  Rather, I would hope that there's
enough interaction with members that the leadership of the church can
help deal in a pastoral manner with the dangers are presented by
whichever policy they follow.  --clh]

dyer@spdcc.com (Steve Dyer) (04/04/91)

>The situation of homosexuality is a particularly difficult one (again,
>assuming for the moment that the act is not itself sinful), because
>there are two dangers to be avoided.  I agree with you that if someone
>is tempted to homosexual activity but feels it is wrong, it's a bad
>idea to encourage them to violate their conscience.

Ahem.  Let me follow this reasoning.  If "the act" is not sinful,
but someone feels it is wrong, then having a gay minister will
encourage that person to violate his or her conscience.  Sorry,
this has to be one of the lamest analogies I've ever seen.
Is it a "bad idea" to have an minister who is a member of an
interracial couple to minister to a congregation because some
of the members think that is wrong????  I'm glad I was sitting
down when I read that.

>However there are
>a number of people who are already practicing homosexuals, and who
>consider themselves beyond the pale of the church, and sometimes
>failures as a human being.  (I'm basing this on testimonies of
>homosexuals posted in this group in the past.)  It could help such
>people to see homosexual pastors.

You must be talking about private email you've received, because
I have never seen any "homosexual" post here claiming to be a
failure as a human being (unless turning your back on a bankrupt
institution which has nothing to offer you in the first place
and getting on with your life is anything but a sign of mental health.)

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer
dyer@arktouros.mit.edu, dyer@hstbme.mit.edu

[It's unclear whether you are replying to me or to the original
posting.  What you quote is from me.  My response, in the portion you
quote, acknowledges that we need to avoid encouraging people to
violate their conscience.  However I then proceed to say that this
argument is not sufficient to prohibit ordination of homosexual
pastors.

Where I agree with the original posting is that "liberal" positions
such as those allowing homosexual ordination should be carried out
with due concern for the impact on members whose understanding has not
progressed as far as that of our leaders.  For example, the
Presbyterian Church (USA) has a very strong policy requiring
ordination of women.  However when churches are unable to bring
themselves to ordain female elders, this is treated as a pastoral
issue.  We do not have storm troopers descend upon that church to
force them to elect leaders that they cannot in good conscience
follow.  Instead we counsel with them over a period of time.  I
believe this is in agreement with Paul's handling of Christian
freedom.  It is clear from Galatians that he is not prepared to give
up his understanding that Christians are free from the Law, but it is
also clear from I Cor 8 that the exercize of that freedom should be
tempered by concern for others.

I do not mean to imply that any of our homosexual correspondents is a
failure, nor that they currently consider themselves to be such.
Indeed those that I know to be homosexual (my knowledge of the sexual
orientation of our contributors is obviously limited) seem among the
better balanced people contributed to this group.  However I recall a
posting indicating that this present happy situation was reached after
a good deal of self-doubt.  It was my conjecture in the response that
you quote that having homosexual leaders in the church might prove
helpful in this regard.  If I have misinterpreted things, and
homosexuals growing up do not experience any particular threat to
their self-esteem because of their homosexuality, or if having
homosexual leaders in the church would not provide encouragement in
such situations, then I apologize for my misunderstanding.

Of course none of these considerations is relevant to someone who
considers homosexuality to be immoral to begin with.  However before
you respond to my comments above with yet another set of arguments on
why homosexuality is a sin, please remember the context of my
comments: The original posting said that even if homosexual activity
is OK, homosexuals should not be ordained because of dangers to the
weaker brethren.  The only way to evaluate such a claim is to assume
that homosexual activity is OK, and see whether the impact on weaker
brethren alone is sufficient to prohibit ordaining homosexuals.  If
the original poster in fact considered homosexuality sinful, and was
not willing to consider the situation seriously from the point of view
of those who do not consider it sinful, then he was engaged in a
dishonest rhetorical device.  I always do our correspondents the honor
of assuming that they are being honest in their postings.

--clh]

tom@tredysvr.tredydev.unisys.com (Tom Albrecht) (04/04/91)

[OFM writes:]
>The situation of homosexuality is a particularly difficult one (again,
>assuming for the moment that the act is not itself sinful), because
>there are two dangers to be avoided.  I agree with you that if someone
>is tempted to homosexual activity but feels it is wrong, it's a bad
>idea to encourage them to violate their conscience.  However there are
>a number of people who are already practicing homosexuals, and who
>consider themselves beyond the pale of the church, and sometimes
>failures as a human being.  (I'm basing this on testimonies of
>homosexuals posted in this group in the past.)  It could help such
>people to see homosexual pastors.

Bad move.

The assumption that homosexuality is not sinful is biblically indefensible.
Would it also help drunks and adulterers who feel "beyond the pale of the
church" to contact drunken and adulterous pastors?  Doesn't the Bible, the
apostle Paul in particular, treat all these sins in a similar fashion, and
worth repenting of (I Cor. 6:9,10)?  What biblical reason is there for
extending some special exemption to the homosexual?

It seems the Bible makes it clear that folks need to be confronted with
their sin and offered the hope of the atoning sacrifice of Christ.  The
cure can only be affected by proper diagnosis of the disease.  This is the
only way sin can be dealt with.  It cannot be "reclassified" as a medical
or social aberration.  Sin is sin, and to treat it as something else
seriously damages witness of the Christian Church (as many oldline
denominations are painfully discovering), and waters down the meaning of the
gospel.  Unfortunately, too many modern churchmen (sorry, churchpersons)
are happy dealing with symptoms instead of root problems.

--
Tom Albrecht

[The message to which I was replying said that even if you accept that
homosexual activity is OK, we should not ordain homosexuals because of
danger to "weaker" brethren.  The only way to examine such a claim is
to assume that homosexual activity is OK, and look at the
implications.  --clh]

jhpb@garage.att.com (Joseph H Buehler) (04/04/91)

In article <Apr.3.02.56.06.1991.10405@athos.rutgers.edu> RJB@slacvm.slac.stanford.edu (Rich Belcinski) writes:

   >|> A further comment: I gave the thought/word/deed categorization; there
   >|> are others.  For example, somone who defends homosexuality, while not
   >|> strictly engaging in it himself, is guilty of it.  I mean that quite
   >|> literally -- someone who defends a sin has to answer for that sin at
   >|> their personal judgement.  This is sin by way of condoning, vs. doing.
   >|>
   >|> Joe Buehler

	 Ah..... I don't know about *THAT*... I have never seen a passage about
	 being *judged* in that way.

A good passage on the subject is one that is actually closely connected
with the topic of homosexuality.  Romans, isn't it?

	...not only those who do such things, but those who consent to those
	who do them [are worthy of death].

Disobeying God's moral laws and fighting against them *are* distinct
things, but, in matters as grave as the one under consideration,
definitely enough to damn one, either way.  I will try to dig out some
material on the various ways to be guilty of sin.

fasano@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Cathy Fasano) (04/05/91)

In article <Apr.1.02.27.55.1991.7132@athos.rutgers.edu> jhpb@garage.att.com writes:
>> [Joe Buehler commented that homosexual thoughts can't be engaged in
>> if you want to enter the kingdom on heaven.  Cathy Fasano objected
>> that considering the action is not in itself immoral.  Unacted-out
>> temptation is never considered sinful, as resisting temptation is
>> a virtue.  --clh]
>
>I didn't see Cathy's response, so can only quote the moderator's
>summary.

Which didn't quite get to the meat of my objection...  (not that this
is the fault of Our Sainted Moderator; I was unclear.)

What I was objecting to was the all-emcompassing nature of the term
"homosexual thought."  I'm not claiming that *all* "homosexual thoughts"
(or "heterosexual thoughts" for that matter) are virtuous; I'm simply
claiming that the term is sufficiently broad to include some things
which are clearly *not* sinful.

Joe's broad condemnation of *all* "homosexual thoughts" is a condemnation
of *being* homosexual, since even the thought, "I am attracted to
members of the same sex," is an example of a "homosexual thought."

The Judeo-Christian tradition has always made this distinction between
these kinds of thoughts.  We use words like "covet" and "lust" as
distinct from "want" or "admire".  For example, someone else quoted
a translation which rendered Matt. 5:28 as (approximately) ...any
man who looks at a woman with the intent to possess her commits
adulterey...  The problem is that taken at face value this verse would
include a man considering making an honorable marriage proposal, and
we all pretty much agree that that is *not* the intent.  (The NAB
translates the term as "looks lustfully" which is what I think we
pretty much agree it means.)

{Joe then tells a story to illustrate the difference between temptation
and "impure thoughts."  While I might put a little different interpretation
on some of the details of the story, Joe and I have no disagreement
that there is a distinction.}

>A further comment: I gave the thought/word/deed categorization; there
>are others.  For example, somone who defends homosexuality, while not
>strictly engaging in it himself, is guilty of it.  I mean that quite
>literally -- someone who defends a sin has to answer for that sin at
>their personal judgement.  This is sin by way of condoning, vs. doing.

Likewise (to put this in a context) -- we live in a society in which
drunken gangs of frat boys lurk around gay bars and beat up and kill
men who come out.  To the extent that catagorical denounciations
of whole classes of people (even when the broadness of the denunciation
is purely rhetorical excess) encourage this kind of violence, they are
at least unwise if not actually sinful.  [ok -- I guess Joe and I are even
now in the accusing-each-other-of-sin department. :^]  The Catholic church
in recent times has some sensitivity to this issue -- the recent Vatican
document which called homosexuality an "objective disorder" also
condemned violence against homosexuals in pretty strong terms.

As to why *I* put the issue in this context -- As some folks here
know, up until eight months ago I worked for an commodity options
trading firm.  The subculture of trading is pretty groty, and has
been described as a cross between a locker room and drunken frat
party.  (I'm still trying to shed the prodigious vocabulary of
obscenities which I acquired there! :-) )  Now these guys are pretty
homophobic (it's part of the adolescent macho posturing), and I was
regularly subjected to graphic descriptions of the violence and mayhem
which they wanted to do to gays.  (Fortunately most of these guys
were smart enough to avoid discussing plans for violence against
women when they were around women, so I was spared that...)  So yes,
I've vehemently defended homosexuals many times over the last five
years, and I rather hope Joe would have, too.

--
Cathy Fasano, aka:  Cathy Johnston, cathy@gargoyle.uchicago.edu,
                    fasano@unix.cis.pitt.edu

dyer@spdcc.com (Steve Dyer) (04/06/91)

In article <Apr.5.03.07.59.1991.9540@athos.rutgers.edu> fasano@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Cathy Fasano) writes:
>The Catholic church
>in recent times has some sensitivity to this issue -- the recent Vatican
>document which called homosexuality an "objective disorder" also
>condemned violence against homosexuals in pretty strong terms.

Cathy, you must have read a different Vatican document than I did.
The one I read had a rather mealy-mouthed condemnation of violence
against anyone, but offered the opinion that no one should be surprised
if violence occurs when gay people refuse to stay hidden.  Can you
spell "chills-up-my-spine"?  It's spelled "R-a-t-z-i-n-g-e-r".
And with few exception on the local level, the Church chooses to remain
silent whenever there is a opportunity of condemning such directed
violence.  It's not just that it isn't an interesting matter that the
hierarchy chooses to take up; there's a tacit complicity there.

--

jhpb@garage.att.com (Joseph H Buehler) (04/08/91)

In article <Apr.5.03.07.59.1991.9540@athos.rutgers.edu> fasano@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Cathy Fasano) writes:

   What I was objecting to was the all-emcompassing nature of the term
   "homosexual thought."  I'm not claiming that *all* "homosexual thoughts"
   (or "heterosexual thoughts" for that matter) are virtuous; I'm simply
   claiming that the term is sufficiently broad to include some things
   which are clearly *not* sinful.

   Joe's broad condemnation of *all* "homosexual thoughts" is a condemnation
   of *being* homosexual, since even the thought, "I am attracted to
   members of the same sex," is an example of a "homosexual thought."

I meant thoughts resulting from a will acting contrary to Divine law.
Everyone has their primary temptations, of course.  Someone's may be
homosexuality, I suppose.  The temptations have to be resisted, is all
I'm saying.  Sin is in the will, the body is just following suit.

   As to why *I* put the issue in this context -- As some folks here
   know, up until eight months ago I worked for an commodity options
   trading firm.  The subculture of trading is pretty groty, and has
   been described as a cross between a locker room and drunken frat
   party.  (I'm still trying to shed the prodigious vocabulary of
   obscenities which I acquired there! :-) )  Now these guys are pretty
   homophobic (it's part of the adolescent macho posturing), and I was
   regularly subjected to graphic descriptions of the violence and mayhem
   which they wanted to do to gays.  (Fortunately most of these guys
   were smart enough to avoid discussing plans for violence against
   women when they were around women, so I was spared that...)  So yes,
   I've vehemently defended homosexuals many times over the last five
   years, and I rather hope Joe would have, too.

I wouldn't defend homosexuality, but I have no use for foul langauge,
that's for sure.

[I think Cathy's hope was not just that you would object to foul
language, but that you would also object to violence and mayhem
against homosexuals.  --clh]