[soc.religion.christian] Who is Babylon the Great?

stevep@cadence.com (Steve Peterson) (04/09/91)

I am interested in hearing views about the identity of Babylon the Great, the
mother of the harlots in Revelation.  Who or what does she represent?  What
evidence has lead you to this belief?  And, what Scriptures help to identify
her?

Best Regards......

Steve Peterson

----
      stevep@cadence.com or ...!uunet!cadence!stevep

[This is going to be hard to respond to without giving a more general
presentation on eschatology.  That is, whether people interpret
Babylon as something in the 1st Cent, the 20th, or the dim future
depends a lot on their overall approach to eschatology.  So I think
to remind people that there are many of our readers who don't know the
precise meaning of terms such as "pre-millenial".  I'd suggest that
you define any technical terms that you use.  --clh]

tom@tredysvr.tredydev.unisys.com (Tom Albrecht) (04/10/91)

In article <Apr.9.03.12.42.1991.5536@athos.rutgers.edu> stevep@cadence.com (Steve Peterson) writes:
>I am interested in hearing views about the identity of Babylon the Great, the
>mother of the harlots in Revelation.  Who or what does she represent?  What
>evidence has lead you to this belief?  And, what Scriptures help to identify
>her?

Here are some comments on the subject.  They are taken from a longer
discussion of the book of Revelation that was previously posted in s.r.c
last Fall.  I apologize to those who may have seen them before.

Some background.  I believe Revelation is primarily concerned with events
that "must shortly come to pass." (v. 1:1; 22:6)  The reader is reminded
that "the time is at hand" for all these things to occur. (v. 1:3; 22:10)
I don't believe we can ignore these time references and do justice to the
interpretation of the book.

Revelation is a symbolic book, and in order to understand the symbols one
must read the book from the perspective of the 1st century Christian living
in Judea or Asia Minor. St. John is writing in the tradition of the Old
Testament prophets, Ezekiel, Isaiah, and Jeremiah.  Many of the symbols are
taken directly from those sources and applied to contemporary events
(contemporary to St. John, that is).  There are some scholars who suggest that
Revelation is St. John's version of the Olivet Discourse where Jesus the
Prophet warned His disciples of the impending destruction of Jerusalem.  It
might be good to keep this in mind when looking into the subject at hand.

I believe the "great whore" of Revelation 17 is apostate Israel of the 1st
century, figured as Jerusalem, who had been persecuting the Christians
along with Rome during these early Church years (v. 17:6; cf. Acts 7:52;
8:1; 11:19; 13:50).

Since St. John was very careful to characterize the "harlot" with various
descriptive phrases, we must look at those phrases and compare them to the
rest of Scripture to discover the meaning of the "harlot" vision.  Simply
saying they refer to some as-yet-future "Babylon" won't cut the mustard.

St. John says that the "harlot" is "drunk with the blood of saints, and the
blood of the martyrs of Jesus."  (v. 17:6) One need only read the book of
Acts to see how the unbelieving Jews persecuted and killed the new
followers of Christ.  We see it in the testimony of Stephen (Acts 7:52). We
see it in the complicity of Paul (Acts 8:1).  We also see it in the phrases
used to describe the false Jews in the Church (Rev. 2:9; 3:9).

The "harlot" will align herself with the beast and make war against the
Lamb.  You might recall the words of the Jews in St. John's gospel as they
stood against the King of kings and declared, "We have no king but Caesar."
(John 19:15)  History tells us that right up until the very end, Rome and
old Jerusalem were united against the new Jerusalem, the Church.

Another item of note is that the "harlot" is called "the great city." (v.
17:18)  Now every Jew in the 1st century would know that "the great city"
referred to Jerusalem (cf. Jer. 22:8; Matt. 5:35). And those who were
familiar with the prophecies of Ezekiel 16 & 23 would realize the iniquity
of the city of God.  (As an aside, Ezekiel 16 is so explicit with its
sexual imagery as a portrayal of Israel's iniquity that many 19th century
preachers refused to preach from it.  And one of John Calvin's translators
wouldn't translate Calvin's comments on Ezekiel 16 because of the explicit
nature of the subject.)  She had committed fornication with the kings of
the earth. In this case St. John picks up on the harlot imagery of Isaiah
1:21. She was the prostitute that was chasing after the pagan nation, Rome.
She had turned her back on her Husband, the God of the covenant, and was
about to be judged. Jerusalem was also called the "holy city" (Is. 52:1;
Matt. 4:5), but with the coming of Christ and the inauguration of the new
covenant, that title passed to the Church (Rev. 21:2). According to
Hebrews, this spiritual city is what the patriarchs sought after (Heb.
11:10,16), and what we long for (Heb. 13:14).

We also have another clue in Revelation as to the identity of "the great
city."  In Rev. 11:8 she is called "spiritually Sodom and Egypt, where Our
Lord was crucified." By ist century standards this is an obvious reference
to Jerusalem.

There is an interesting contrast in Revelation between the "harlot" and the
Bride of Christ.  Here are a few of what I believe to be parallels:

         The "Harlot"                             The Bride

  And there came one of the seven      And there came unto me one of the
  angels which had the seven vials,    seven angels which had the seven
  and talked with me, saying unto      vials full of the seven last
  me, Come hither; I will shew unto    plagues, and talked with me,
  thee the judgment of the great       saying, Come hither, I will shew
  whore that sitteth upon many         thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.
  waters:  (17:1)                      (21:9)

  With whom the kings of the earth     And I John saw the holy city, new
  have committed fornication, and      Jerusalem, coming down from God
  the inhabitants of the earth have    out of heaven, prepared as a
  been made drunk with the wine of     bride adorned for her husband.
  her fornication. (17:2)              And I heard a great voice out of
                                       heaven saying, Behold, the
                                       tabernacle of God is with men,
                                       and he will dwell with them, and
                                       they shall be his people, and God
                                       himself shall be with them, and
                                       be their God. (21:1,2)

  So he carried me away in the         And he carried me away in the
  spirit into the wilderness: and I    spirit to a great and high
  saw a woman sit upon a scarlet       mountain, and shewed me that
  coloured beast, full of names of     great city, the holy Jerusalem,
  blasphemy, having seven heads and    descending out of heaven from
  ten horns. (17:3)                    God, (21:10)

  And the woman was arrayed in         Let us be glad and rejoice, and
  purple and scarlet colour, and       give honour to him: for the
  decked with gold and precious        marriage of the Lamb is come, and
  stones and pearls, having a          his wife hath made herself ready.
  golden cup in her hand full of       And to her was granted that she
  abominations and filthiness of       should be arrayed in fine linen,
  her fornication:                     clean and white: for the fine
  And upon her forehead was a name     linen is the righteousness of
  written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE        saints.  (Rev. 19:7,8)
  GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND     Having the glory of God: and her
  ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.           light was like unto a stone most
  (17:4,5)                             precious, even like a jasper
                                       stone, clear as crystal; (21:11)

  And here is the mind which hath      And had a wall great and high,
  wisdom. The seven heads are seven    and had twelve gates, and at the
  mountains, on which the woman        gates twelve angels, and names
  sitteth. (17:9)                      written thereon, which are the
  And he saith unto me, The waters     names of the twelve tribes of the
  which thou sawest, where the         children of Israel: On the east
  whore sitteth, are peoples, and      three gates; on the north three
  multitudes, and nations, and         gates; on the south three gates;
  tongues. (17:15)                     and on the west three gates. And
                                       the wall of the city had twelve
                                       foundations, and in them the
                                       names of the twelve apostles of
                                       the Lamb. (21:12-14)