[soc.religion.christian] Demonised, not demon possessed

jkk@aiai.ed.ac.uk (John Kingston) (04/05/91)

It is misleading to talk about "demon possession" -- "demonised" is a
better word. This may seem a trivial point, but it has important
consequences. The word in Greek which is translated "demon-possessed" is
"daimonaizai" (sp?).  A better translation of this word is
"demon-influenced", or "demonised". In other words, it's not that a person
either has a demon, or doesn't; it's more a continuum, from no demon
influence to total demon influence.

Some Biblical justification can be found in Luke 4.39 where
Peter's mother-in-law has a fever, and Jesus "rebukes" the fever, which
then leaves her. The word "rebuke" is the same Greek word as is used when
Jesus "rebukes" the demon in the man in the temple (Luke 4.35) and the
demon in the boy with fits (Luke 9.42). It looks as if the fever was caused
by a demon - perhaps scoring 2 on a scale of 0 (no influence) to 10
(Gadarene demoniac)?

The importance of this is:
1/ Christians can be demon-influenced. Many people argue that a Christian
cannot be demon-possessed, and it may be that total demonic control (10
out of 10) is impossible in a body where the Holy Spirit lives. But lesser
degrees of influence do happen. Peter's mother in law was presumably a
Christian.

2/ Demon influence can grow steadily and almost imperceptibly in a person.
It's by no means certain that a person can always tell when they are
demonised.

Before too many readers go on a self-demon-purge austerity weekend, I
should make two further points:

1/ Just because you're tempted to do or think things you shouldn't doesn't
mean you're demonised. Every Christian encounters temptation -- yes, even
temptations as powerful as the ones *you* sometimes get. Jesus was tempted
in every way we were (Hebrews 4. 15).

2/ Demon influence most often gets into someone's life through involvement
in the occult (so I'm told :-)), although there are other ways in. I'm also
told that most people who are worried that they might be demonised actually
aren't. If you haven't been involved in the occult, it's less likely that
you are demon-influenced. If you have, it's best to find someone to pray
with you -- someone who's encountered this sort of problem before -- just
to free you from anything that might be hanging on. (You need to repent of
your involvement first).

God bless!

John K.
John Kingston, AI Applications Institute, University of Edinburgh,
	       80 South Bridge, Edinburgh EH1 1HN, Scotland
E-mail jkk@uk.ac.ed.aiai, phone 031-650 2736   FAX: 031 226 2730
Arpanet: J.Kingston%ed.ac.uk@nfsnet-relay.ac.uk    TELEX: 727442 UNIVED G

tom@tredysvr.tredydev.unisys.com (Tom Albrecht) (04/06/91)

In article <Apr.5.03.21.49.1991.9655@athos.rutgers.edu> jkk@aiai.ed.ac.uk (John Kingston) writes:

>Some Biblical justification can be found in Luke 4.39 where
>Peter's mother-in-law has a fever, and Jesus "rebukes" the fever, which
>then leaves her. The word "rebuke" is the same Greek word as is used when
>Jesus "rebukes" the demon in the man in the temple (Luke 4.35) and the
>demon in the boy with fits (Luke 9.42). It looks as if the fever was caused
>by a demon - perhaps scoring 2 on a scale of 0 (no influence) to 10
>(Gadarene demoniac)?

Sorry, I think you're reading too much into one Greek word.  Jesus rebuked
demons as well as His own disciples (Luke 9:55).  The same word is used by
Jesus when He "rebuked" the wind in Luke 8:24.  Are you suggesting that
there was a demon in the wind?  Doesn't this border on a sort of pantheism?

I'm sorry, none of these passage suggest that a child of God can be
"possessed" by a demon.  I would even argue that the idea of
demon-influence is a bit far fetched.  After all, "greater is He that is in
you, than he that is in the world."  We give Satan too much credit, and
Christ too little, when it comes to the care and nuture of the Child of God.

--
Tom Albrecht

jkk@aiai.ed.ac.uk (John Kingston) (04/14/91)

Someone replied to my original article, suggesting that the use of the word
"rebuke" (Greek "epitimao") [often used when Jesus rebuked demons] when
Jesus rebuked the fever in Peter's mother in law did not necessarily
indicate demonic influence. The reason given was that Jesus also rebuked
his disciples.

  In fact, Jesus only uses "epitimao" to his disciples twice, and on one of
those occasions there was clearly demonic influence involved  - "Get behind
me, Satan!" (the other occasion was when James and John wanted to call down
fire from heaven). For the record, Jesus also "rebuked" a number of evil
spirits, and the wind.

I stick by my assertion that the fever in Peter's mother in law was due to
demonic influence, and that this provides evidence from the Bible (there is
empirical evidence too) that Christians can be demonically influenced.

JK

John Kingston, AI Applications Institute, University of Edinburgh,
	       80 South Bridge, Edinburgh EH1 1HN, Scotland
E-mail jkk@uk.ac.ed.aiai, phone 031-650 2736   FAX: 031 226 2730
Arpanet: J.Kingston%ed.ac.uk@nfsnet-relay.ac.uk    TELEX: 727442 UNIVED G

[Many interpreters believe that "get behind me Satan" does not
indicate actual possession, but simply that Peter is tempting Jesus as
Satan did.  --clh]