[soc.religion.christian] Deity of Christ, H.S. etc.

c9037544@cc.newcastle.edu.au (David Williams) (04/01/91)

This is in response to some questions about the deity of Christ, and the
doctrine of the Trinity and such matters. If you e-mail me, I may not be able
to reply, as the mail-sender here is having a few problems at the moment
(That's what happened, Steve Peterson).

THE NAMES OF GOD.
 A. Primary OT names.
  1. Jehovah (YHWH).
   a. Meaning. Self-existent One (from Exodus 3:14)
   b. Characteristics. It is a name of relationship between the true God and
      His people and, when used, emphasizes God's holiness, hatred of sin, and
      love of sinners.
  2. Elohim.
   a. Meaning. Strong One.
   b. Characteristics. Used of the true God and heathen gods. It is a plural
      word and is the plural of majesty. The plural does allow for the
      subsequent revelation of the Trinity in the NT but does not teach the
      Trinity per se.
  3. Adonai
   a. Meaning. Lord.
   b. Characteristics. Used of men and of God and indicates the master-servant
      relationship.
 B. Compund OT names.
  1. With EL.
   a. El Elyon, translated the Most High.
   b. El Roi, the strong one who sees.
   c. El Shaddai, Almighty God.
   d. El Olam, Everlasting God.
  2. With Jehovah.
   a. Jehovah Jireh, the Lord will provide.
   b. Jehovah Nissi, the Lord my banner.
   c. Jehovah Shalom, the Lord is peace.
   d. Jehovah Sabbaoth, the Lord of hosts.
   e. Jehovah Maccaddeshcem, the Lord thy sanctifier.
   f. Jehovah Raah, the Lord is my shepherd.
   g. Jehovah Tsidkenu, the Lord our righteousness.
   h. Jehovah El Gmolah, the Lord God of recompense.
   i. Jehovah Nakeh, the Lord that smiteth.
   j. Jehovah Shammah, the Lord who is present.

THE DEITY OF CHRIST.
 A. Proved by His names.
  1. God (Hebrews 1:8).
  2. Son of God (Matthew 16:16; 26:61-64a).
  3. Lord (Matthew 23:43-45).
  4. King of kings and Lord of lords (Revelation 19:16).
 B. Proved by His characteristics.
  1. Omnipotence (Matthew 28:18).
  2. Omniscience (John 1:48).
  3. Omnipresence (Matthew 18:20).
  4. Life (John 1:4).
  5. Truth (John 14:6).
  6. Immutability (Hebrews 13:8).
 C. Proved by His works.
  1. Creates (John 1:3).
  2. Sustains (Colossians 1:17).
  3. Forgives (Luke 7:48).
  4. Raises the dead (John 5:25).
  5. Judges (John 5:27).
  6. Sends the Holy Spirit (John 15:26).
 D. Proved by worship that is given Him.
  1. By angels (Hebrews 1:6).
  2. By men (Matthew 14:33).
  3. By all (Phillipians 2:10).
 E. Proved by Equality in the Trinity.
  1. With the Father (John 14:23; 10:30).
  2. With the Father and the Spirit (Matthew 28:19; II Corinthians 13:14).

THE PERSONALITY OF THE SPIRIT.
 A. Proved by His characteristics.
  1. He is intelligent (I Corinthians 2:10-11).
  2. He has feelings (Ephesians 4:30).
  3. He has will (I Corinthians 12:11).
 B. Proved by His works.
  1. He teaches (John 14:26).
  2. He guides (Romans 8:14).
  3. He commissions (Acts 13:4).
  4. He commands men (Acts 8:29).
  5. He restrains (Genesis 6:3).
  6. He intercedes (Romans 8:26).
  7. He speaks (John 15:26; II Peter 1:21).
 C. Proven by what is ascribed to Him.
  1. He can be obeyed (Acts 10:19-21).
  2. He can be lied to (Acts 5:3).
  3. He can be resisted (Acts 7:51).
  4. He can be reverenced (Psalm 51:11).
  5. He can be blasphemed (Matthew 12:31).
  6. He can be grieved (Ephesians 4:30).
  7. He can be outraged (Hebrews 10:29).
 D. Proven by unusual grammar.
  In spite of the fact that the Greek word for Spirit is neuter in gender,
  several times masculine pronouns are used to replace the neuter noun,
  contradicting all normal rules of grammar, but indicating the personality
  of the Spirit (John 16:13-14; 15:26; 16:7-8).

THE DEITY OF THE SPIRIT.
 A. Proven by His names.
  1. Names which relate the Spirit equally to other Persons of the Trinity
     (I Corinthians 6:11).
  2. Names which show Him doing works which only God can do (Romans 8:15;
     John 14:16).
 B. Proven by His characteristics.
  1. Omniscience (I Corinthians 2:10-11).
  2. Omnipresence (Psalm 139:7).
  3. Omnipotence (Genesis 1:2).
  4. Truth (I John 5:6).
  5. Holiness (Luke 11:13).
  6. Life (Romans 8:2).
  7. Wisdom (Isaiah 40:13).
 C. Proven by His works.
  1. Creating (Genesis 1:2).
  2. Inspiring (II Peter 1:21).
  3. Begetting Christ (Luke 1:35).
  4. Convincing men (John 16:8).
  5. Regenerating (John 3:5-6).
  6. Comforting (John 14:16).
  7. Interceding (Romans 8:26-27).
  8. Sanctifying (II Thessalonians 2:13).
 D. Proven by His being equally associated with other Persons of the Trinity
   (Acts 5:3-4; Matthew 28:19; II Corinthians 13:14).

| David Williams                      | University of Newcastle, Australia    |
| c9037544@cc.newcastle.edu.au        | Department of Computer Science        |
| c9037544@jupiter.newcastle.edu.au   |                                       |
|   "The decision of Random Numbers is too important to be left to chance !"  |

stevep@uunet.uu.net (Steve Peterson) (04/04/91)

In article <Apr.1.02.44.36.1991.7380@athos.rutgers.edu> c9037544@cc.newcastle.edu.au (David Williams) writes:
>This is in response to some questions about the deity of Christ, and the

>THE PERSONALITY OF THE SPIRIT.

> D. Proven by unusual grammar.
>  In spite of the fact that the Greek word for Spirit is neuter in gender,
>  several times masculine pronouns are used to replace the neuter noun,
>  contradicting all normal rules of grammar, but indicating the personality
>  of the Spirit (John 16:13-14; 15:26; 16:7-8).

Jesus personalized the holy spirit when
speaking of that spirit as a "helper" (which in Greek is the masculine
substantive parakletos).  Properly, therefore, John presents Jesus' words as
referring to that "helper" aspect of the spirit with masculine personal
pronouns.  On the other hand, in the same context, when the Greek "pnuema" is
used, John employs a neuter pronound to refer to the holy spirit, pnuema itself
being neuter.  Hence, we have in John's use of the masculine personal pronoun
in association with parakletos an example of conformity to grammatical rules,
not an expression of doctrine (John 14:16, 17; 16:7, 8).

Steve Peterson

stevep@cadence.com

kutz@cis.ohio-state.edu (Kenneth J. Kutz) (04/14/91)

In article <Apr.1.02.44.36.1991.7380@athos.rutgers.edu>, c9037544@cc.newcastle.edu.au (David Williams) writes:

> THE DEITY OF THE SPIRIT.
>  A. Proven by His names.
>   1. Names which relate the Spirit equally to other Persons of the Trinity
>      (I Corinthians 6:11).
>   2. Names which show Him doing works which only God can do (Romans 8:15;
>      John 14:16).
>  D. Proven by His being equally associated with other Persons of the Trinity
>    (Acts 5:3-4; Matthew 28:19; II Corinthians 13:14).

A hearty AMEN to your posting David.  Lord willing I would like to post
several articles in the near future on the deity of the Holy Spirit
and the idea of the Trinity - One God, three persons.  After careful
study, it has become clear to me that in viewing the Bible, we must
come to one of two conclusions:

(1) The Deity of the Spirit
(2) The Bible has errors

As far as I am concerned, the Jehovah Witness must choose, either 1 or 2.
Let me give one example.  As you read Jer 31:31-34 ask yourself, who
said it?

JER 31:31  Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
JER 31:32  Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
JER 31:33  But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
jER 31:34  And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Who said it?  The Lord of course.  Now look at Hebrews where these words
are quoted.  According to Hebrews 10:15, who says this?

HEB 10:15  Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,
HEB 10:16  This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
HEB 10:17  And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.
HEB 10:18  Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.

The Holy Spirit says what the Lord says.  ALL Scripture is God breathed
(II Tim 3:16) and no speaking forth from Scripture is without the
Holy Spirit's direct guidance (II Peter 1:21).  Scripture is God breathed
and Spirit inspired.  The Lord and the Spirit are one.

More later, Lord willing.

--
  Kenneth J. Kutz		  Internet 	kutz@andy.bgsu.edu
  Systems Programmer		  BITNET   	KUTZ@ANDY