[soc.religion.christian] Let us not judge our Jewish brethern

jefff@locus.com (Jeff Fields) (04/14/91)

In article <Apr.10.04.11.59.1991.10981@athos.rutgers.edu> dvnspc1!tom@tredysvr.tredydev.unisys.com (Tom Albrecht) writes:
>I don't mean to insult Jews or any Christians, but let's be honest: the God
>who is addressed by Jews is not the true God in whom we Christians live and
>move and have our being.  This is the very message of Christianity.  The
>best we can say is that Jews worship an incomplete God, because they fail
>to acknowledge Jesus Christ as the final, complete revelation of God's
>Being. (Hebrews 1:2,3)  "They have a zeal for God, but they lack
>knowledge." (Romans 10:2)  And I would argue that zeal in worshiping an
>incomplete God, when the truth in manifest, is the same as worshiping an
>idol.
 .
 .
 .
>gave impetus to the missionary activity of the early Church, especially
>among the natural children of Abraham.  The disciples KNEW that without
>Christ their fellow Jews were facing an eternity of condemnation.
 .
 .
 .
>Meanwhile, Jews are following the broad path that leads to destruction.
>Are we content with knowing that "Jews worship the Father?"  Is that an
>eternally useful concept?

Tom, I believe that you truly did not wish to offend Jews with this message,
but I fear you may very well have done so. The way I read it, and please
hasten to correct me if I am wrong, you are saying is very akin to "No
offense meant, but because Jews do not believe in Christ as the mediator
to God the Father, they are all going to hell."

This kind of thinking is not only inflammatory and is one of the key
elements that alienates Christians from Jews, it is also contrary to
the scripture. My interpretation of Christ's message in the New Testament
regarding the Jews is that they are saved by God's grace and the ancient
covenant He made with the Israelites a millenium before Christ's birth.
I believe this is still true after almost two millenia of the revelation
of Christ's message in the New Testament. The fact that Jews do not accept
the New Testament, even after so many centuries of its existence, does
NOT condemn them to perdition nor does it mean they are worshipping a
false idol.

Only God can discern what is in the spriritual hearts of Jews, Christians,
and humans in general. If we are Christians, then we must have faith in
God's infinite mercy and love for all his earthly children. We are commanded
to love our neighbors. How can we do this and insult them with words of
condemnation?

-Jeff Fields