[soc.religion.christian] Talents vs. Resources

jmoon@lehi3b15.csee.lehigh.edu (Jonggu Moon [890911]) (04/10/91)

The servant who used his 10 talents wisely was rewarded well by
his master.
The servant who squandered his 1 talent was punished by the master.

What about the servant who is given 10 talents and while the master
is away, cultivates 4 of them to their full potential, but does not
have either the time, ability, strength, contacts to develope the other
6 ?

Shall he be rewarded for the 4 and punished for the 6 ?
Shall he be thankful for the 4 and ask forgiveness for the lost 6 ?

To apply this analogy:

Say someone has the ability to be a good musician, engineer, lawyer
doctor, social worker AND accountant.
He chooses to be a doctor who ministers in music on his spare time.
But the world has lost a honest,competent, Christian
engineer,lawyer,social worker and accountant.

What is he to do ?

^>*<^ jmoon

ajm@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Tony McGregor) (04/14/91)

In jmoon@lehi3b15.csee.lehigh.edu (Jonggu Moon [890911]) writes:
{ In reference to the parable of the talents }

>To apply this analogy:
>
>Say someone has the ability to be a good musician, engineer, lawyer
>doctor, social worker AND accountant.
>He chooses to be a doctor who ministers in music on his spare time.
>But the world has lost a honest,competent, Christian
>engineer,lawyer,social worker and accountant.
>
>What is he to do ?

I believe God has a total plan our lives. He's laid out a time for
everything that's important including career, money, recreation,
family (or no family), learning and growth to name a few that come to
mind. Each time you deviate from the plan He devises a new one
starting from where you are.

He has a career chosen for you.  If you follow the plan He has for
you He's not going to punish you for not developing some other
potential in your life.  You need find out what His plan for you is.
When you make a decision about your life bring God into that decision.
Pray about it, spend some time reading the Bible, and conscious place
the matter into His hands. You can do this with any decision, even if
it's quite small, e.g. what car to buy.

Including God into you decisions is the start of many blessings.

Tony
Tony McGregor ( ajm@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au )
Department of Robotics and Digital Technology, Monash University
PO Box 197, Caulfield East, Vic 3145, Australia
Phone: +61 3 5732014  Fax: +61 3 5732745