[soc.religion.christian] Descendents

burt@sequent.uucp ([Burton Keeble]) (03/25/91)

I have begun a serious inquiry into the Christian faith and one of my
concerns is the kinfolk of Jesus and their descendents.
Maybe someone can offer an explaination for this question......

It would seem that since geneology was a major issue with the Jews,
they would have continued the practice of keeping family records even after
their conversion.  Jesus had many relatives on his mother's side.  Why wouldn't
they have had even greater reason to feel proud of their blood relationship
to him, and to pass that information down through the generations?

Nit pick, nit pick,  that's me all right!

burt@sequent.UUCP

chappell@symcom.math.uiuc.edu (Glenn Chappell) (03/27/91)

In article <Mar.25.04.39.31.1991.7732@athos.rutgers.edu> burt@sequent.uucp ([Burton Keeble]) writes:
>Jesus had many relatives on his mother's side.  Why wouldn't
>they have had even greater reason to feel proud of their blood relationship
>to him, and to pass that information down through the generations?

I've read that Jesus's family was prominent in the Jerusalem church for
quite a while (can't remember where I read this....) Perhaps the
tradition wasn't passed down to the present day because His family died
out? That isn't too unlikely considering that the Roman Empire was very
much into killing Christians back in the early days.

				GGC  <><

[Certainly one gets the impression from Acts and Gal. that James, the
brother of Jesus, was active in the Jerusalem church.  --clh]

stevep@uunet.uu.net (Steve Peterson) (04/08/91)

In article <Mar.25.04.39.31.1991.7732@athos.rutgers.edu> burt@sequent.uucp ([Burton Keeble]) writes:

>It would seem that since geneology was a major issue with the Jews,
>they would have continued the practice of keeping family records even after
>their conversion.  Jesus had many relatives on his mother's side.  Why wouldn't
>they have had even greater reason to feel proud of their blood relationship
>to him, and to pass that information down through the generations?

It could have been out of humility, not wanting to draw attention to themselves
as if they were somehow better or more special because of the relationship....

Best Regards......

Steve Peterson

----
      stevep@cadence.com or ...!uunet!cadence!stevep

In article <Apr.7.22.13.03.1991.28852@athos.rutgers.edu>, cadence!stevep@uunet.uu.net (Steve Peterson) writes:
> It could have been out of humility, not wanting to draw attention to themselves
> as if they were somehow better or more special because of the relationship....

I'm surprised that our Worthy and Knowledgable Moderator didn't comment.
The answer is
    1.  Read "The History of the Church", by Eusebius.
	Jesus's relatives *DID* keep track of this information.
	Eusebius quotes an earlier historian who claimed to have found
	out from the Desposyni how to reconcile the two genealogies of
	Jesus.
    2.	Remember your history.  We're talking about the time of the
	Roman Empire here.  The Romans weren't noted for subtelty.  They
	had had a lot of trouble with ``messiahs'' in Judaea.  Letting
	it be known that you were a close relative of a ``messiah'' was
	a good way of avoiding old age.

So they kept track of the information if they good, but mostly kept
quiet, not out of humility, but in order to stay alive.
--
It is indeed manifest that dead men are formed from living ones;
but it does not follow from that, that living men are formed from dead ones.

[Well, I don't comment on *everything*.  And patristics is not exactly
my strong suit.  Fortunately, I know we have a number of readers who
are able to comment.  Desposyni is probably a term many of our readers
aren't familiar with.  As I understand it this refers to a group of
Christians that claimed to have leaders directly descended from Jesus,
and that generally rejected many of Paul's concepts of Christianity.
(My source here is "Holy Blood, Holy Grail", which is not what I'd
normally choose as a reliable source of information, but I haven't
seen the term anywhere else.)  --clh]

mls@sfsup.att.com (Mike Siemon) (04/14/91)

In article <Apr.9.04.22.05.1991.6000@athos.rutgers.edu>, ok@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au
(Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:

> The answer is
>     1.  Read "The History of the Church", by Eusebius.
> 	Jesus's relatives *DID* keep track of this information.
> 	Eusebius quotes an earlier historian who claimed to have found
> 	out from the Desposyni how to reconcile the two genealogies of
> 	Jesus.

Ummm.  Yes, it is worth while reading Eusebios -- besides it's near the start
of his turgid and boring work, so you can find it easily.  Let me quote at
some [limited :-)] length, starting at chapter 7:

	"The genealogy of Christ has been differently recorded for us in
	the gospels of Matthew and Luke.  Most people see a discrepancy
	in this, and through ignorance of the truth each believer has been
						    ----------------------
	only too eager to dilate at length on these passages.  So I feel
	justified in reproducing an explanation of the difficulty that has
	come into my hands.  This is to be found in a letter which Africanus,
	------------------
	to whom I referred a little while back, wrote to Aristides on the
	harmony of the gospel genealogies.  Having first refuted other
	people's theories as forced and demonstrably false, he sets out the
	explanation he had himself received."

Note a) the discrepancy was common knowledge and b) there was no commonly
accepted "solution" to the problem in the early 4th century.  Eusebios is
scorning OTHER theories and presenting Africanus'.  Eusebios' previous note
of him, in ch.6, simply says "according to Africanus -- and he was no ordinary
historian -- the best authorities say that Antipater, Herod's father, was son
of a certain Herod of Ascalon, one of the temple slaves of Apollo..." -- an
observation not confirmed in Josephus, I might add, and pretty clearly just
a bit of anti-Herodian propaganda.  This is the source of Eusebios' proposed
"solution" to the insoluble genealogy problem.  Eusebios later (in chapter 31)
cites Africanus as the author of one other letter (to Origen: "In it he cast
the gravest doubts on the authenticity of the story of Susannah in Daniel."
Biblical inerrantists aren't going to be happy about Africanus.)

Africanus' theory is essentially the one we have been regaled with recently:
that one of the genealogies is "biological" and the other "legal" -- to cite
Africanus (as Eusebios does verbatim)

	"The names of the families in Israel were reckoned either by nature
	or by law; by nature, when there was genuine offspring to succeed;
	by law, when another man fathered a child in the name of a brother
	who had died childless...

I should note that I would like Talmudic confirmation of this assertion and
not otherwise take it as truth.

	"If we reckon the generations from David through Solomon, we find
	that the third from the end is Matthan, who begot Jacob, Joseph's
	father [Matt. 1:15-16]; if we follow Luke and reckon from David's
	sont Nathan, the corresponding third from the end is Melchi, Joseph
	being the son of Heli, Melchi's son...  I must explain how these two,
	Jacob and Heli, were brothers, and before that how their fathers,
	Matthan and Melchi, members of different families, are stated to have
	been Joseph's grandfathers.  Well now, Matthan and Melchi, successive
	husbands of the same wife, fathered half-brothers... The wife in
	question, whose name is given as Estha

given by whom? this *may* be a genuine tradition recorded by Africanus -- but
how is it to be confirmed?

						first married Matthan ...
	and bore him Jacob; then on the death of Matthan the widow married
	Melchi ... and by him had a son Heli.  When Heli died childless, his
	brother Jacob took his wife and by her became the father of Joseph..."

this goes on a bit more to the point that

	"Matthew the evangelist in his account says, 'Jacob begat Joseph',
	whereas Luke says, 'Who was, as people imagined' -- note this comment --

Eusebios or Africanus is here playing the fool -- Luke's commment is clearly
towards the fact that, in Luke's account, Joseph is only imagined to be Jesus'
father.

	'the son of Joseph, the son of Heli, the son of Melchi'.

and I observe the translator's note "It is impossible to say why Africanus
omits two generations."  Cf. Luke 3:23-24.  If I may say so, the "obvious"
explanation is that Africanus was in the grip of a "beautiful" theory that
allowed him to ignore an ugly fact or two.

Later on in his verbatim citation of Africanus, Eusebios has:

	"This is not dogmatic assertion or mere guesswork: the Saviour's
	human relations, either in ostentatious spirit or simply to give
	information, but in either case telling the truth, have handed down
	this information too."

This is the full reference to the information of the Desposyni; even Africanus
has some doubts here: he says of their testimony

	"This may or may not be the truth of the matter; but in my opinion and
	that of every fair-minded person no one else could give a clearer
	exposition, and we must content ourselves with it eve if unconfirmed,
	as we are not in a position to suggest a better or truer one."

I, personally, see NO grounds for Africanus' to claim that the Desposyni WERE
telling the truth "in any case" -- what he next says only increases my doubts.
He goes on to the story of Antipater as a former temple slave captured by the
Idumeans; this is amusing, but I will skip down to the main point of concern
here:

	"But in the archives were still inscribed the Hebrew families ... So
	Herod, who had no drop of Israelitish blook in his veins and was stung
	by the consciousness of his base origin, burnt the registers of their
	families, thinking that he would appear nobly born if no one else was
	able by reference to public documents to trace his line back to the
	patriarchs... A few private people had private records of their own,
	having either remembered the names or recovered them from copies, and
	took pride in preserving the memory of their aristocratic origin.
	These included the people mentioned above, known as Desposyni..."

The thing that needs to be noted here is that *if* Africanus is right, and
Herod burned the archives, *then* there was no constraint on invention, and
ambitious families can claim an "aristocratic" descent they do not "deserve."
The problem has appeared in later Jewish history -- however scrupulously any
given family of Kohanim may have preserved their lineage, there is no way to
"protect" against those who have somewhere in the distant and forgotten past
a fraud for an ancestor who has no basis for his claim to this rank.

Suppose the Desposyni *did* have family genealogical records; now suppose
that their records disagreed with BOTH Matthew AND Luke?  Do you think they
have any way to introduce THEIR version against either evangelist?  Or is it
not the better part of valor to go along, as vaguely as possible, with the
enthusiams of the Church?

NOTHING in the data, as Africanus already notes sometime around 200, is in
fact subject to confirmation -- and he is relying only on the "honesty" of
the Desposyni, admitting that it is open to no confirmation, and at the same
time providing all the extenuating circumstances that might bring their very
testimony into question.

And I revert at the end to what I said at the start -- Eusebios in c. 300
A.D. already admits that the matter has NO accepted resolution.
--
Michael L. Siemon		We must know the truth, and we must
m.siemon@ATT.COM		love the truth we know, and we must

[I doubt that inerrantists are going to have any problem with
Africanus' comments about Susannah.  That chapter is not present in
the Hebrew version of Daniel, and is thus considered part of the
apocrypha by Protestants.  --clh]

burt@sequent.uucp (Burton Keeble) (04/14/91)

In article <Apr.7.22.13.03.1991.28852@athos.rutgers.edu> cadence!stevep@uunet.uu.net (Steve Peterson) writes:
>In article <Mar.25.04.39.31.1991.7732@athos.rutgers.edu> burt@sequent.uucp ([Burton Keeble]) writes:
>
>>It would seem that since geneology was a major issue with the Jews,
>>they would have continued the practice of keeping family records even after
>>their conversion.  Jesus had many relatives on his mother's side.  Why wouldn't
>>they have had even greater reason to feel proud of their blood relationship
>>to him, and to pass that information down through the generations?
>
>It could have been out of humility, not wanting to draw attention to themselves
>as if they were somehow better or more special because of the relationship....
>

>Best Regards......
>
>Steve Peterson
>
>----
>      stevep@cadence.com or ...!uunet!cadence!stevep

Well, you might have a good point there.  However, I would argue that such
records would also serve for purposes of identification, and clarification for
future generations.  Obviously, it came in handy for establishing the link
between David and Jesus.  It was very important for Joseph to be able to
trace his ancestry back to Abraham, and further, thereby giving him a
legitimate family line and elegibility for betrothal to Mary, who was also
of Davidic ancestry.

Perhaps after the resurection, the christians didn't feel the need to keep
such detailed records.  And yet, it seems like such a simple thing for them
to have done.

So, two generations later, someone might say: " my greatuncle was John, who
was the brother of Jesus."  Not out of pride, but simply for accuracy of
records (deeds, for ex.).

But is there anyone living today, gentile or jew, who can trace his ancestry
back to OT times?

-burt