[soc.religion.christian] The Power of Prayer

sierra@cis.ohio-state.edu (German Sierra) (03/12/91)

Does anyone believe in the power of prayer?  And how does someone
go about achieving it?

Sierra

geoff@pmafire.inel.gov (Geoff Allen) (03/19/91)

Haven't seen any follow-ups yet, so here goes!

sierra@cis.ohio-state.edu (German Sierra) writes:
>Does anyone believe in the power of prayer?

Yes.

>And how does someone go about achieving it?

Well, depending on what you mean here, it looks like you're seeking the
wrong thing.

Prayer isn't some magic genie to give us anything we want.  And ``the
power of prayer'' isn't something that *we* achieve.  The power of
prayer is simply the power of God.  Prayer is simply how we relate to
him.

Prayer is more than asking for things.  Much more.  I don't spend all my
time with my wife asking her for things, and neither should we spend all
our time with God asking for things.  Talk to him.  Like he's right
there with you (since he is).

Remember,

	The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.

					James 5:16b

	You do not have, because you do not ask God.  When you ask, you
	do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may
	spend what you get on your pleasures.

					James 4:2d-3

So what should we ask for?  Enough food to live (Mt. 6:11), forgiveness
(I John 1:9), God's plan and kingdom and glory (Mt. 6:10, 6:33),
whatever we may *need* (not want), and especially others (including what
we need to be able to minister to them).

Prayer isn't a magic potion to give you health, wealth and happiness.
But it is a chance to communicate with the eternal, living God, and it's
wonderful!

--
Geoff Allen          \  Since we live by the Spirit,
uunet!pmafire!geoff   \  let us keep in step with the Spirit.

johnw@sag4.ssl.berkeley.edu (John Warren) (03/20/91)

In article <Mar.18.23.25.28.1991.28603@athos.rutgers.edu> geoff@pmafire.inel.gov (Geoff Allen) writes:
>Prayer is more than asking for things.  Much more.  I don't spend all my
>time with my wife asking her for things, and neither should we spend all
>our time with God asking for things.  Talk to him.  Like he's right there

Why not pray for what we want?  The worst God could do is answer no, and
tell us why, or answer 'wait', which (given my impatience) is probably worse.

John Warren		"...Into the narrow lanes,
			I can't stumble or stay put." -Dylan

geoff@pmafire.inel.gov (Geoff Allen) (03/30/91)

Prompting johnw@sag4.ssl.berkeley.edu (John Warren) to ask:
>Why not pray for what we want?  The worst God could do is answer no, and
>tell us why, or answer 'wait', which (given my impatience) is probably worse.

There's no problem with asking for things.  My point was that that's not
the whole point of prayer.  God is not a giant vending machine that will
give us what we want if we push the right buttons.  Neither is He our
magic genie.  He is the Lord of the Universe, and we should be amazed
that he even invites us into His presence.  And when we consider that we
are invited to come *boldly* into His presence, and He calls us friends,
that is simply mind-boggling.  I would hate to abuse that priveledge by
spending all my time saying, ``Can I have this?  Can I have these?  Can
I have one of those?  I want that!''

(Not that that's what I'm saying you're doing.  Just commenting on the
tendency as fallen creatures to be more interested in a magic genie than
in a living Lord.)

--

cole@maverick.uswest.com (Cole Keirsey) (04/03/91)

Goeff said:
>Prayer is more than asking for things.  Much more.  I don't spend all my
>time with my wife asking her for things, and neither should we spend all
>our time with God asking for things.  Talk to him.  Like he's right there

Prompting John Warren to ask:
>Why not pray for what we want?  The worst God could do is answer no, and
>tell us why, or answer 'wait', which (given my impatience) is probably worse.

to which Geoff responded
>There's no problem with asking for things. . . .
>I would hate to abuse that priveledge by spending all my time saying,
>``Can I have this?  Can I have these?  Can I have one of those?  I want that!''

Also, consider the example of Jesus when he was tempted in the
wilderness.  Satan asked Jesus to pray that stones be turned into bread,
and to throw himself from a steeple.  Jesus responded that you should
not tempt God.

This story says to me that I shouldn't willfully put myself in danger or
need, then expect God to spare me the consequences.  In such a
situation, I think God might see that my real need is to learn from my
mistakes.

Yes, God is right here with us, but we see him, as Paul says, through a
glass darkly and not face to face.  If I make a prayer that I don't
sincerely think God will answer, isn't that prayer directed to my own
dark, distorted image of God and not to God Himself?  I would be
concerned that a prayer like that would be a kind of idolotry -- worshipping
a false image.

Right now, I don't know God clearly as he really is.  But it's wrong
for me to make a prayer that assumes God is something I believe He isn't.

C. C. Keirsey

johnw@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (John Warren) (04/14/91)

In article <Apr.3.02.59.54.1991.10450@athos.rutgers.edu> cole@maverick.uswest.com (Cole Keirsey) writes:
>Also, consider the example of Jesus when he was tempted in the
>wilderness.  Satan asked Jesus to pray that stones be turned into bread,
>and to throw himself from a steeple.  Jesus responded that you should
>not tempt God.
>
>This story says to me that I shouldn't willfully put myself in danger or
>need, then expect God to spare me the consequences.  In such a
>situation, I think God might see that my real need is to learn from my
>mistakes.

I see your point.  And I agree with it up to a point.  However, if our motives
are for God's glory and for God's purposes in history and not our own (and
only God knows the ratio of selfish motives to God centered motives in our
hearts) then it is perfectly appropriate, at times, to put yourself in
danger and expect God to bail you out.  That's the nature of a trusting
faith.  The balance here is that you shouldn't put yourself in danger
with no external purpose in mind other than to prove to yourself whether
God will bail you out or not.  In that case, God will probably let you
learn from your mistakes, the hard way.

Look at Gideon's band of 300 (in Judges 7, I think).  They were fighting
against 10's of
thousands of Midianites.  When these Israelites stood on the hill at night with
their lamps covered, they were still safe, and they could still bail out.
But when they took the covers off, then they HAD to trust in God.  God
honored that trust, and not a one of them died.  And the Israelites drove
the Midianites out of their hair.

In short, Psalm 91 still applies to the people of faith.

>C. C. Keirsey

John Warren