[soc.religion.christian] A song

billy@tcom.stc.co.uk (Billy Khan) (04/25/91)

	It seems I've imagined him, all of my life,
	As the wizest of all of mankind.
	But if Gods only wizdom is foolish to men,
	He must have seemed out of this mind.

	For even his family said he was mad,
	And the priests laid the demons to blame.
	For God in the form of this angry young man,
	Could not have seemed perfectly sane.

	But come loose your life for a carpenters son,
	For a mad man who died for a dream.
	You'll have the faith his first followers had,
	And you'll feel the weight of the beam.

	So surrender your life so that they might know,
	Have the courage to say 'I believe'.
	Believe the unbelievable,
	Come be a fool as well.

	Christians would be fools to believe in Jesus through logic and
facts, because you can't. You must approach God with an open mind, throw
away science and logic. Believe in something that can't be explained.

george@electro.com (George Reimer) (04/29/91)

In article <Apr.24.21.14.46.1991.7301@athos.rutgers.edu> billy@tcom.stc.co.uk (Billy Khan) writes:

>	Christians would be fools to believe in Jesus through logic and
>facts, because you can't. You must approach God with an open mind, throw
>away science and logic. Believe in something that can't be explained.

	I *STRONGLY* disagree !

	Christians require faith, not belief in magic!
	Our God is the author of chaos ( Psalms ) and therefore is logical and scientific.
	If a Christian has foolishness, it is the same as that of
	Christopher Columbus when he refused to beleive the earth was flat.

	Just because you can't explain the things God does scientificaly or logically
	does not mean you throw away science and logic. It means you humble yourself
	and admit that God knows something that you don't.

	Take the example of a small child ( as per Jesus' instructions 8^) ).
	There are many things that I do that my 3 year old can't explain with
	her level of science and logic. Never the less, she hasn't thrown them away!
	Nor does she need to. Her answer , as is ours, is to continue to grow
	in the knowledge of God's wonders. Look around you! Science is telling
	us so very much about ourselves, yet for the most part, the explainations
	scientists give us are unsatisfactory. Why? Because the fear of God is
	the beginning of understanding.

--

"I almost think that in certain cases yes, and in others, no....."
                                                    George  egroeG

lshaw@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (logan shaw) (04/29/91)

In article <Apr.24.21.14.46.1991.7301@athos.rutgers.edu> billy@tcom.stc.co.uk (Billy Khan) writes:
>	It seems I've imagined him, all of my life,
>	As the wizest of all of mankind.
>	But if Gods only wizdom is foolish to men,
>	He must have seemed out of this mind.
>
>	So surrender your life so that they might know,
>	Have the courage to say 'I believe'.
>	Believe the unbelievable,
>	Come be a fool as well.

>	Christians would be fools to believe in Jesus through logic and
>facts, because you can't. You must approach God with an open mind, throw
>away science and logic. Believe in something that can't be explained.

While I _think_ agree with what you're saying (and with what the Michael
Card song says), I want to make sure of something.  It's not illogical
to believe in God.  It's just that people are being deceived, and what
_seems_ wise to them is not actually wise at all, not because they're
using logic, but because they're deceived.

I also think that science and logic, though they don't contradict
Christianity, are not all that good approaches to it.  You can't
experience all of Christianity solely through cold logic, but it _is_
helpful sometimes.  (It is useful to dethrone science/logic if they
totally rule your life...)

Adios,
  Logan

--
   //  # "He said that He had your number; you cut the telephone line.
 \X/   #  You said you needed a reason; He said 'there ain't much time.'