[soc.religion.christian] please post in soc.religion.christion

sokolove@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Deborah Sokolove) (05/07/91)

This isn't really a followup on this thread, but a related question.

  Some time ago, in another context, there was some mention that
Christians in general did not need to follow the 'ceremonial laws'
in the Hebrew Scriptures  but that (perhaps) Jewish converts
were indeed required to do so.  OFM said that he did not want
to get into this question as he did not have the necessary
expertise. Nevertheless, as a person who was raised in the Jewish tradition and
has come to know Christ, I would be interested in  netters'
informed opinions as to whether "the Law" is still incumbent
on me, or do I enjoy the same "freedom in Christ" as those of
Gentile ancestry?

If it matters to this discussion, I worship with a committed
Christian community whose membership does not expect anything
more (or less) of me than they expect of themselves. I am simply interested
in a wider cross-section of opinion.

Thanks.

[I have no problem with discussions of how those with a Jewish
background should practice Christianity.  The practice of Christianity
by anyone is certainly a valid subject for this group.  What I don't
want to deal with are discussions about Judaism with no connection to
Christianity, or overt attacks of the form "why don't you Jews believe
in Christ?"  --clh]

smittie@beach.csulb.edu (Mark Smith) (05/08/91)

I don't remember the exact reference (but I suspect that someone will be right
behind me with it) but it seems to me that Paul discusses this very issue at
some detail. Paul makes the point that to go back to living by the law is to
nullify Christ's death. I also remember discussion with some of my more
scholarly friends (they do the discussing, I just listen in and sit there
trying to look intelligent). It seems that the Jewish leaders of that time
(that is the time shortly after Christ death) tried to maintain their influence
over those Jewish people who had 'converted' to Christianity by telling them
that though they were Christians they were still Jews and had to keep the Law.
Those of my friends who were actively involved in this discussion seemed to
think that the idea of keeping the Law was pretty bogus and without merit.

smittie

[It's hard to be sure what passage you are thinking of.  Perhaps Gal
2:21: "...if justification were through the law, then Christ died to
no purpose."  The people Paul was arguing with are not normally
thought to be Jewish officials, but "Judaizers", Christians who
advocated keeping the Law as a requirement for Christians, and thus
wanted Gentile Christians to become Jewish.  Jewish leaders certainly
became concerned at some point that Jews who became Christians were
abandoning Judaism as they knew it. But this isn't generally thought
to be the primary issue Paul was dealing with.  --clh]

credmond@watmath.waterloo.edu (Chris Redmond) (05/08/91)

In article <May.7.00.30.11.1991.14615@athos.rutgers.edu> sokolove@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Deborah Sokolove) writes:

>  Some time ago, in another context, there was some mention that
>Christians in general did not need to follow the 'ceremonial laws'
>in the Hebrew Scriptures  but that (perhaps) Jewish converts
>were indeed required to do so.  OFM said that he did not want
>to get into this question as he did not have the necessary
>expertise. Nevertheless, as a person who was raised in the Jewish tradition and
>has come to know Christ, I would be interested in  netters'
>informed opinions as to whether "the Law" is still incumbent
>on me, or do I enjoy the same "freedom in Christ" as those of
>Gentile ancestry?
>If it matters to this discussion, I worship with a committed
>Christian community whose membership does not expect anything
>more (or less) of me than they expect of themselves.

In my opinion, Christian thinking does not require that you observe
the Jewish law.  It does require that you try to govern your life
by Christian ethics ("love" interpreted in whatever way your conscience
and your Christian denomination direct) and worship in a Christian
way (again, interpreted by your judgement and your brethren).

If you find it comforting, you might remind yourself that Judaism
expects non-Jews (and you have become, de facto, a non-Jew) to
obey the "Noachide" laws (laws of Noah) against murder, idolatry
and other such offences.  These laws are happily compatible with
Christian living.

Rider #1: Since you have already decided to adopt Christianity,
I won't jump back into the debate about whether adopting Christianity
is a necessary or even an appropriate thing for Jews to do.

Rider #2: In my view, following the Jewish law voluntarily
is likely to contribute to a healthy and happy life.  This is true whether
or not one is Jewish.  I refer to the laws of kashrut (purity of
food, a.k.a. kosher), sexual behaviour, daily prayer, and just about
everything else of which I am aware.  (This statement should not be
taken to mean that I follow any portion of the Jewish law myself.
I don't.)