[soc.religion.christian] The Ongoing Inquisition

ldh@eedsp.gatech.edu (Lonnie D Harvel) (05/03/91)

> There certainly was no excuse for the Spanish Inquistion.  But before
> we get too excited about bashing the Catholic church for its indiscretions,
> let's remember that Christians of all stripes have engaged in persecutions
> of others.  How does the Inquistion differ from the Salem witch trials
> in spirit?
--clh]

The Inquistion is part of the history of christianity.  Though it is
a part we would like to forget, we can never afford to.  The continual
persecution which we christians engage in does nothing but harm
the mission which I believe is ours.  How can we teach a doctrine of
forgiveness, when we live a doctrine of judgement?  How can we
teach truth, if we ignore reason and knowledge?  How can we
teach salvation, if all we offer is condemnation?  The Inquisition
is not uniquely Catholic it is christian.  And it is not a thing
of the past, but continues to rend the body of the Church.  It is
the responsibility of every christian to end it.

ldh

--
     The comments and spelling herein are mine and nobody
                     else lays claim to them.

math1h3@jetson.uh.edu (05/05/91)

In article <May.3.02.50.17.1991.23893@athos.rutgers.edu>, ldh@eedsp.gatech.edu (Lonnie D Harvel) writes:

> The Inquistion is part of the history of christianity.  Though it is
> a part we would like to forget, we can never afford to.  The continual
> persecution which we christians engage in does nothing but harm
> the mission which I believe is ours.  How can we teach a doctrine of
> forgiveness, when we live a doctrine of judgement?  How can we
> teach truth, if we ignore reason and knowledge?  How can we
> teach salvation, if all we offer is condemnation?  The Inquisition
> is not uniquely Catholic it is christian.  And it is not a thing
> of the past, but continues to rend the body of the Church.  It is
> the responsibility of every christian to end it.

I have to disagree with the notion that all of christianity is to blame
for the Inquisition, or that christians in general are involved in
continuing persecution.  Lonnie is, for one thing, saying that because
one kind of 'judgement', the Inquisition, was an evil atrocity, then
all forms of judgement are evil and must be ended.  Perhaps if Lonnie would
give us an example of 'continuing persecution', we might discuss it
reasonably.

The scriptures indicate clearly that the church must exercise judgement
with respect to obvious, persistent, and unrepenant sin.  Jesus gave
instructions on this topic in Matthew 18, and in 1 Corinthians Paul
tells the Corinthians to excommunicate a man guilty of incest.  The primary
difference between this kind of judgement, and the Inquisition, is that the
only punishment given in Scripture (NT) is expulsion from the fellowship of the
church.  The unrepentant sinner is to be treated as 'a heathen and a
tax-collector' (sorry, IRS folks!  :-) ).  And when this is done, there is
always the hope that the sinner will repent and be restored to the church.
Again, an example is given in 2 Corinthians, where Paul says that the man
guilty of incest, now repentant, is forgiven and to be restored as a member
in good standing.

The Inquisition, on the other hand, tortured people, and many died.  In other
places the Catholic church (or the state, acting on the church's request)
burned people for heresy, notably John Hus.

The Lutherans took a strong stand against such practices in their Augsburg
Confession, Article 28, 'The Power of Bishops', or 'Ecclesiastical Power'.
They wrote:

'Many and various things have been written in former times about the power
of bishops, and some have improperly confused the power of bishops with
the temporal sword.  Out of this careless confusion many serious wars,
tumults, and uprisings have resulted...On this account our teachers have
been compelled, for the sake of comforting consciences, to point out
the difference between spiritual and temporal power, sword, and
authority, and they have taught that because of God's command both
authorities and powers are to be honored and esteemed with all reverence
as the two highest gifts of God on earth.

   Therefore, the two authorities, the spiritual and the temporal, are not
to be mingled or confused, for the spiritual power has its commission to
preach the Gospel and administer the sacraments.  Hence it should not
invade the function of the other, should not set up and depose kings,
should not annul temporal laws or undermine obedience to government,
should not make or prescribe to the temporal powers concerning worldly
matters. ....

In cases where bishops possess temporal authority and the sword, they possess
it not as bishops by divine right, but by human, imperial right, bestowed
by Roman emperors and kings for the temporal administration of their
lands.  Such authority has nothing at all to do with the office of the
Gospel.'

If you look through Lutheran history, I do not think you will find that
Lutheran churches have executed or tortured anyone.  Some people blame
us for Hitler; while it is true that he used and usurped the churches
of Germany, and occasionally quoted Luther's less-than-inspired harangues
agains the Jews, the real truth is that the German churches were Hitler's
victims and not his collaborators.

David H. Wagner
a confessional Lutheran

My opinions and beliefs on this matter are disclaimed by
The University of Houston.

[Except for Luther late in life... As he got more temporal power, he
found it harder to resist using it to protect the Church.

The best evidence I've seen suggested that the German church was split
over Hitler.  In that sense it was all his victim.  However at least
some Christians did go along with Nazism, with varying degrees of
enthusiasm.  I recently saw an estimate that about 1/3 of German
Christians were part of churches that actively resisted Hitler.  This
is actually a fairly good record, I think.  Even in extreme cases, not
everyone is going to be a rebel.  But it's also clear that there were
German Lutherans who were Nazis.  --clh]

jclark@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (John Clark) (05/10/91)

In article <May.5.00.24.51.1991.28156@athos.rutgers.edu> math1h3@jetson.uh.edu writes:
+
+The scriptures indicate clearly that the church must exercise judgement
+with respect to obvious, persistent, and unrepenant sin.  Jesus gave
+instructions on this topic in Matthew 18, and in 1 Corinthians Paul
+tells the Corinthians to excommunicate a man guilty of incest.  The primary
+difference between this kind of judgement, and the Inquisition, is that the
+only punishment given in Scripture (NT) is expulsion from the fellowship of the
+
+The Inquisition, on the other hand, tortured people, and many died.  In other
+places the Catholic church (or the state, acting on the church's request)
+burned people for heresy, notably John Hus.

The 'Inquisition' did not kill people. It was the combination of
the Inquisitors determining that a person was not of the faith,
posibly by physical means, and then handing that person to the secular
power to be 'punished' by secular law, which coincedently reflected
'canon' law, or is that cannon law. The secular power is the executioner,
the church only 'excommunicated' the un-faithful. With this set up
in mind one can easily see the reason for separation of church and
state and the prohibtion against laws which support a particular
religious position.
+
+The Lutherans took a strong stand against such practices in their Augsburg
+Confession, Article 28, 'The Power of Bishops', or 'Ecclesiastical Power'.
+They wrote:

Unfortunately the Separatist of early U.S. history were not so
inclined.

+[Except for Luther late in life... As he got more temporal power, he
+found it harder to resist using it to protect the Church.

I think this says it all. The same is apparent of the early church
after Constantine.
--

John Clark
jclark@ucsd.edu

cc5h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Charles Robert Claydon) (05/11/91)

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!

Sorry!  Wrong again...!!!!

The inquisition, or any persecution of people based upon faith, creed, value,
(or desire of influence, which is probably closer in all cases) is not only
not uniquely Catholic, it is not uniquely Christian!  It is, in fact, uniquely
HUMAN!!!

This, once again, seems to be what is called the search for positive evidence,
attributing traits to "other groups" which are general human traits, you
pick the term, you pick the field of knowledge, it's the same thing...

Basically, "inquisitons" of any sort, are common to all groups of all cultures
of all time periods.  In other words, they are common to people.  Well, not to
any people, but people in power...  Sure, some "Christians" (more likely
people identifying themselves as such to gain power...but that's another story)
have used Christianity to do this.  But this is hardly unique to Christianity.
Lest we forget, Romans and Jews did this, and Christians were some of the
ones singled out...more recently, Communists and Fascists did this with anyone
_they_ didn't agree with.  The basic principle is that sometimes people in
power are so desperate to maintain that power that they do anything, even kill
whole groups of people who threaten it, to maintain (or increase) that power.
It basically says nothing more than that people tend to be Machiavellian with
power--oooh!  Big revelation there (can you say "sin" boys and girls?  Very
good, I knew you could!!! :-)

Well, why do people attribute this trait to Christianity?  Well, people who
are looking to defame Christians pin this label, along with others, on
Christians  (OOOHHH, can you say "stereotype", boys and girls?  It is another
trait rather common to people).

Well, before I flame Lonnie too bad, I should point out that I like the point
that Christians shouldn't take part in this...  just because people do it,
_definately_ doesn't make it right (I think Christ was pretty clear about it).
And I also agree that when we do it, it tends to defame Christ and
Christianity, mainly because people have somehow associated this trait to
Christians, and seem to be on the lookout for it more in Christians.  Why?
I don't know.  It certainly isn't more true of "Christians" (in the cultural
sense of the word) than other groups (ie: people have a sinful lust and greed
for power).  But, if we can avoid it, I, for one, think it can point out
how, in Christ, we can overcome the ways of the world, and stick out and show
that we can overcome and live for a higher cause than worldly gain...

Rob