[soc.religion.christian] Re- Slippery rock no. 2- Pe

Kevin_Miller.D76_CENTRAL@qmgate.mitre.org (Kevin Miller) (05/13/91)

Subject:  Re: Slippery rock no. 2: Perfection
  In article <10 May 91 07:10:22 GMT> tblake@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Thomas
  Blake) writes:

  >However, Wesley doesn't use the word the way we commonly do.  I.E.
  >perfection is a state that is reached.

  As a member of a Wesleyian-Arminian denomination (Church of the Nazarene)
  since childhood I have heard alot about Wesleyian perfection: known more
  commonly as sanctification.  Wesley does use the word "perfect" differently
  than many people do in that he is talking about perfection of purpose, not
  perfection of performance.

  Wesley believed (as do I) that a sanctified Christian is one who has
reach the point in their Christian walk were their intent is
perfect; e.g., In every way, thought, word and deed, one's intent is
to do God's will.

  This does not equat to perfect performace.  As imperfect people we sometimes
  act upon our understanding of God's will in a less than perfect manner, often
  in ways related to our personnality.  I these cases, this less than perfect
  performanceis not sin until God reveals to us the unintended consequences of
  our actions.  At that point one must commit that aspect of our behaviour to
  the Lord, for if we contain to act in ways contrary to His known will then we
  are sinning.

  >It is on ongoing process.  Similarly, the process we undergo when God is
  working
  >to perfect us is perfection.

  Yes.  What I have describe is very musch an ongoing process of revelation,
  commitment and growth: but, within the state of perfect relationship to God
  (sanctification).

  >I am not yet perfect, (boy! just look at some of the stupid things I
  >say, and the typos I make), and yet I am experiencing perfection.  (God
  >is continually working to make me perfect.)

  Christian perfection is available.  Is he TOTALLY Lord?  Have completely and
  continuely commited your life to Him?

  Wholy His,
  Kevin Miller
    Date:5/10/91    Kevin Miller