[soc.religion.christian] the devil in tyrus

2fmmempty@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (05/13/91)

In article <May.10.03.13.06.1991.6575@athos.rutgers.edu>, lab@fibercom.com
(Lance Beckner) writes:
> In article <May.7.00.01.22.1991.8143@athos.rutgers.edu>
>ASC105@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>>  One way that Satan can decieve people is through pleasing the flesh with
>>"Christian" Rock.  Is Christian Rock really Christian? Or is it a COUNTERFEIT
>>from Satan?  Satan was created as a musical being (and still works through
>>     EZEKIEL 28:13--    Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; ...
>>     the workmanship of thy *TABRETS* and of thy *PIPES* was
>>     prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.
> Obviously, Satan Knows Music.  One needs only to listen to *any* secular
> radio station and hear the songs that present lifestyles contrary to the
> teachings of Christ.  This is true regardless of the STYLE of music.  Rock,

okay aside from the evils of rock statements here, i am more interested in the
association of this passage in ezekiel with satan.  i see the
associations of this to a miltonesque styled satan.  having no real
knowledge of the hebrew folktales from which satan is drawn, i have no idea how
close this follows them.

in ezekial these passages are clearly marked as being directed toward the
prince of tyrus.  was satan then the prince of tyrus?

				stephen

[Ez 28:11 ff seems to be addressing a bit more than just a human king.
I don't think the place to look for Satan is folktales in quite the
sense you probably have in mind.  My feeling (and I'm going out on a
limb here because I don't have any commentaries on Ezek.) is that the
background for this passage is apocalyptic, which tends to see human
history as the earthly reflection of cosmic forces.  I doubt it was
being said that the King of Tyre was literally Satan, but that the
force behind him was.  I'm not an expert in apocalyptic literature
(probably others with more expertise can comment), but I get the
impression that it was more likely to come from an individual
visionary than what one normally thinks of as folklore.  Thus it seems
quite plausible that this was actually a vision of Ezek's, and didn't
have any specific sources.  --clh]