[soc.religion.christian] Do Jews need J____?

YZKCU@cunyvm.bitnet (Yaakov Kayman) (05/11/91)

In article <May.8.03.45.32.1991.10470@athos.rutgers.edu>,
smithjh@argus.CS.ORST.EDU (Jeremy Smith) says:

>"J____ said to him(Thomas), I am the way, the truth, and the life; no
>one comes to the Father except through me."
>
>Not even the Jews.

So which practicing Jew accepts Christian Scriptures, which is where the
above citation comes from, or cares what they say? Not this one!

Yaakov K.
--------
Yaakov Kayman      (212) 903-3666       City University of New York

BITNET:   YZKCU@CUNYVM        "Lucky is the shepherd, and lucky his flock
Internet: YZKCU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU     about whom the wolves complain"

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) (05/14/91)

In article <May.10.23.14.27.1991.27146@athos.rutgers.edu>
           YZKCU@cunyvm.bitnet (Yaakov Kayman) writes:
> In article <May.8.03.45.32.1991.10470@athos.rutgers.edu>,
> smithjh@argus.CS.ORST.EDU (Jeremy Smith) says:
> >
> >"J____ said to him(Thomas), I am the way, the truth, and the life; no
> >one comes to the Father except through me."
> >
> >Not even the Jews.
>
> So which practicing Jew accepts Christian Scriptures, which is where the
> above citation comes from, or cares what they say? Not this one!

You are correct in saying that someone who rejects the new testament
will have no reason to follow Jesus.  There are those, however, who
"accept" the new testament but claim that it's not for Jews.  They
claim that Jesus is the messiah-type figure for Gentiles, but that
Jews can ignore the claims of the New Testament.  (or consider Jesus
as a wise rabbi, but nothing more than that)

When I comment on this topic, I hope I am making it clear what the
choices are.  Either Jesus is everything the new testament says he is
(namely, savior for both Jew and Gentile), or he's a nut and the
entire new testament should be dismissed.  The "middle ground" of
Jesus for Gentiles and someone else for Jews is a very illogical
position, from the viewpoint of the New Testament.
Garance Alistair Drosehn   = gad@rpi.edu  or  gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu