[soc.religion.christian] Non-Christians in Heaven

lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Raymond Lang) (05/05/91)

In <May.2.05.01.56.1991.2783@athos.rutgers.edu> tblake@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Thomas Blake) writes:

>                                                          I'm constantly
>trying to get Ghandi into heaven on a technicality.

>                                       Tom Blake
>                                       SUNY-Binghamton

Do you really think a "technicality" is necessary? I went to Catholic
schools through my undergraduate degree, and was always taught that a
person had only to follow the lights that were available to him (or her)
in order to find salvation. Frankly, I expect to meet up with more than
a few surprised atheists in heaven (assuming I get there myself). It's
hard for me to fault people who reject organized religion when I look
at some of the atrocities organized religion has perpetrated and still
perpetrates. If a person cannot bring himself to accept organized
religion but nonetheless tries to lead the best life he can according
to his conscience, I cannot picture God condemning the man to hell for
eternity. God works in many ways; and if the bad behavior of the church
leads a person to seek alternatives, it is certainly within God's power
to provide this person with the graces necessary to find salvation.

In general, I'm extremely hesitant to rule out anyone's chances of
salvation. "Judge not, lest ye be judged."

Ray
lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu

chaplin@uunet.uu.net (chaplin) (05/07/91)

In article <May.4.21.36.11.1991.21437@athos.rutgers.edu> lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Raymond Lang) writes:
>If a person cannot bring himself to accept organized
>religion but nonetheless tries to lead the best life he can according
>to his conscience, I cannot picture God condemning the man to hell for
>eternity. God works in many ways; and if the bad behavior of the church
>leads a person to seek alternatives, it is certainly within God's power
>to provide this person with the graces necessary to find salvation.
>
>In general, I'm extremely hesitant to rule out anyone's chances of
>salvation. "Judge not, lest ye be judged."
>
>Ray
>lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu

You are correct, and the Bible provides an example of God providing
this grace in Acts chapter 10.  Cornelius was "A devout man, and one
that feared God..."  If God could just accept Cornelius into heaven
based on his goodness, why did He send Peter to explain the gospel of
Christ?

I heard a missionary tell of a man in Africa who early in his life came
to the conclusion that the religion of his people just could not
explain the wonder of creation, so he prayed to whatever God was there
to reveal Himself.  The missionary was the answer to that man's
prayer.
--
Roger Chaplin / Instruments Division Engineering / uunet!keinstr!chaplin
CI$: 76307,3506 / voice: (216) 498-2815 / FAX: (216) 248-6168

smittie@beach.csulb.edu (Mark Smith) (05/08/91)

The problem I have is that if even one person can get to heaven without Christ
then Christ's whole trip to Earth was a waste. I don't very much that God is
real into wasteful practices such as that.

smittie

lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Raymond Lang) (05/10/91)

In <May.8.03.41.43.1991.10408@athos.rutgers.edu> smittie@beach.csulb.edu (Mark Smith) writes:

>The problem I have is that if even one person can get to heaven without Christ
>then Christ's whole trip to Earth was a waste. I don't very much that God is
>real into wasteful practices such as that.

Then it's _not_ a waste for a good Jew or Moslem to be condemned to Hell?

Ray
lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu

gilham@csl.sri.com (Fred Gilham) (05/10/91)

smittie writes:
The problem I have is that if even one person can get to heaven
without Christ then Christ's whole trip to Earth was a waste. I don't
very much that God is real into wasteful practices such as that.

Theology aside for the moment, Jesus seems to have taught that if only
one person needed it, his trip to Earth would have been worth it, as
in the parables of the lost sheep and lost coin.
--
-Fred Gilham          gilham@csl.sri.com

djohnson@ucsd.edu (Darin Johnson) (05/10/91)

>The problem I have is that if even one person can get to heaven without Christ
>then Christ's whole trip to Earth was a waste. I don't very much that God is
>real into wasteful practices such as that.

It's probably a matter of viewpoint, and opinions on this will stretch
to both extremes.  However, assuming one can get to heaven without
knowing of or acknowledging Christ, this does not imply that it is
done without Christ.  The sins of all were paid for on the cross (the
controversy being whether or not only those who accept him can take
advantage of it).  Also, if a single person can get to heaven without
Christ does not mean that whatever method they used is available to
everyone else.

-- and now, on a slightly different track -- if anyone is still keeping
track of jokes...

A man arrives at the pearly gates, and is warmly greeted by St Peter.
The man is shown around to all the marvelous sites, music playing
everywhere and people are congradulating him.  Eventually, St Peter
leads the man down a narrow street and cautions him to be very quiet.
As the tiptoe along, from behind a tall wall they hear very solemn
hymn being played, rather boring compared to the joyous music that was
played elsewhere.  So they rounded a corner, and St Peter began
talking again, pointing out new sites.  The man, overcome by curiosity,
speaks up: "Pardon my asking, but why did we have to be so very
quiet just now?"  To which St Peter replied: "Oh that.  That's just
the Presbyterian area - they think they're the only ones here."

(disclaimer - told by a Presbyterian minister :-)

--
Darin Johnson
djohnson@ucsd.edu

[This joke has been told with various different groups as the butt.
--clh]

jclark@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (John Clark) (05/10/91)

In article <May.4.21.36.11.1991.21437@athos.rutgers.edu> lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Raymond Lang) writes:
+
+Do you really think a "technicality" is necessary? I went to Catholic
+schools through my undergraduate degree, and was always taught that a
+person had only to follow the lights that were available to him (or her)
+in order to find salvation. Frankly, I expect to meet up with more than

This is the standard 'Grandfather' clause. This reasoning was
developed to allow such luminaries as Plato, Socrates, and other
righteous pagans in, and their learning taught.

But the legalistic of group might what to debate what constitutes
"following the lights that are available", and then ponder why
proselytize at all. Since if some will be save by following the
available lights, why introduce another which the person may fail
to follow.
--

John Clark
jclark@ucsd.edu

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) (05/11/91)

In article <May.8.03.41.43.1991.10408@athos.rutgers.edu>
           smittie@beach.csulb.edu (Mark Smith) writes:
> The problem I have is that if even one person can get to heaven without
> Christ then Christ's whole trip to Earth was a waste. I don't very much
> believe that God is real into wasteful practices such as that.

Sidestepping the greater issue for the moment, the above sentence is not true.
If Christ did not die on the cross, then NO ONE could be saved.  It is his
death that is the atonement for every person who is saved.  The justice of God
would have demanded that we all die in our sins, because no one would have paid
the price for our salvation.

His death (and resurrection!!) paid the price so everyone could be saved.  I'm
not saying his death *makes* everyone saved, but his death was a sufficient
enough sacrifice that it would pay the price for everyone's sins.  Without that
sacrifice, *none* of us could be saved.

Jesus may possibly decide to save someone who did not have any chance of
comprehending his gospel.  If he decides to do that, it will not mean his
sacrifice was a waste.  After all, it is his sacrifice that is the event which
gives him the right to save that person (along with the rest of us).

As to the larger question, my position is...
   (fade into vague mumblings...I don't want to get into speculating
    on a case-by-case basis.  I won't be the final judge anyway, so
    my answer will not mean anything.  I am confident that God will
    be the judge, and I am confident in his justice, whatever his
    decision will be)
I do know one way a person can be certain they are saved, and I expect I should
act on that knowledge rather than worrying about some of the details that God
has not explicitly given us in his holy scriptures.

 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Garance Alistair Drosehn   = gad@rpi.edu  or  gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu

lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Raymond Lang) (05/13/91)

In <May.10.03.25.30.1991.6770@athos.rutgers.edu> jclark@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (John Clark) writes:
>But the legalistic of group might what to debate what constitutes
>"following the lights that are available", and then ponder why
>proselytize at all. Since if some will be save by following the
>available lights, why introduce another which the person may fail
>to follow.

    It's not impossible to get to heaven without explicitly accepting Christ
as Savior, just easier in the sense that there's more direct help available.
Hence the justification for evangelism.

    Neither the "upstanding atheist" nor the "faithful non-Christian"
enjoys the full benefits of an intimate, personal relationship with Christ.
This is a privilege reserved to us who have explicitly acknowledged and
accepted Him into our lives. There is a definite advantage to becoming a
Christian, and it lies in having a "more direct link" to the Creator who
is the Source of all goodness, including the "lights that are available"
to non-christians, who I believe are implicitly accepting Christ when
they follow those lights.

Ray
lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu

ferwerda@clt.enet.dec.com (Paul Ferwerda) (05/13/91)

|> Then it's _not_ a waste for a good Jew or Moslem to be condemned to Hell?
|>
|> Ray
|> lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu

Romans 3:23 says "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
they are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption which
is in Christ Jesus", so no one is good in the sense that their goodness
is efficacious towards salvation, and all (including saved Christians)
deserve being condemned to Hell.

--
---
Paul		EASYNET=> loptsn::ferwerda

harling@pictel.uucp (Dan Harling) (05/13/91)

I think this depends on what it means "to need" Christ for salvation.
If it means "to have explicit, theological knowledge of," then I
believe that this is a form of gnosticism; theology is a human
invention which we use to try to understand God (just as we use
physical sciences to try to understand the material universe), and
certainly such formal knowledge should not be required of everyone who
hopes for the Kingdom of God.

If it means "to have one's sins borne by Christ," then I would have to
agree with you.  Christ's death is sufficient for all sins; the only
reason ANYBODY can be saved BY ANY MEANS is because Christ paid our
debt.  If it were possible for one to be saved without needing Christ's
atoning sacrifice, then His death was for nought.

These two interpretations make all the difference in the world.  The
real issue should be, "Can a person be saved without being told
(presumably by another human) about Jesus?"  Or, read another way, "Is
knowledge of Christian theology a prerequisite of salvation?"  If
creation itself proclaims God's Glory, so that all men are without
excuse, how would you answer this question?

In Christ,
Daniel A. Harling					PictureTel, Inc.
Rockport, MA						Peabody, MA

	Opinions created and propagated by Daniel A. Harling.
	Reproduction and transmission is permitted without written
	consent, provided this notice remains affixed.  All other
	rights reserved.  Void where prohibited by law.  So there.

jclark@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (John Clark) (05/14/91)

In article <May.13.02.04.18.1991.12071@athos.rutgers.edu> harling@pictel.uucp (Dan Harling) writes:
+These two interpretations make all the difference in the world.  The
+real issue should be, "Can a person be saved without being told
+(presumably by another human) about Jesus?"  Or, read another way, "Is
+knowledge of Christian theology a prerequisite of salvation?"  If

I presume most Christians assume the latter. Otherwise what's the
point of evangelism, and the continual devaluation of 'alternative'
religions or beliefs. It also seems that if any major denomination
comes close to 'accepting' alternatives, the group is labeled
'apostate'.
--

John Clark
jclark@ucsd.edu

[My impression from previous postings here is that many (maybe a
majority -- without a formal poll there's no way to know) of our
readers believe at least that those who haven't heard the Gospel can
be saved.  I would think many of those would be willing to extend the
concept to those who have heard the Gospel, but presented badly.
(Concretely, if your only contact with Christ is through Christians
who are persecuting you, I doubt that you have in any meaningful sense
heard the Gospel.  Some time ago I suggested that there are actually
cases where becoming a Christian could cause you to be damned.
Suppose you are in a group being persecuted by Christians, and you
join the persecutors?)  The Catholic Church seems to accept the
concept of "anonymous Christians", and Catholics seem to be a bit more
than 50% of Christians.  --clh]