[soc.religion.christian] Southern Baptists, Ephesus, and Joe McCarthy

kilroy@gboro.glassboro.edu (Dr Nancy's Sweetie) (05/19/91)

Discussing something else, Chris Redmond writes:

>I expect the ACLU people are as human (therefore fallible) as anybody else,
>and don't always live up to their principles.  Still I am glad they're there
>preventing (for example) the Southern Baptists from imposing their religion
>on me (if I lived where there are Southern Baptists -- you know what I mean,
>I hope).

I'm a Southern Baptist, and I have no interest in imposing my religion on
you; please be a bit more careful how wide your paintbrushes are.

That said, I concede your point: I seem to be spending WAY TOO MUCH of my time
preventing my fellow Southern Baptists from getting conservative Christianity
legislated.  Having given this some thought, I've started to wonder if maybe
the real problem doesn't stretch far beyond the limits of the current battle
in the SBC -- as far back as the first century, and off into secular life.

I think the real problem is that humans like things to be stable; they like
to to protect the status quo (provided it benefits them).  Someone's current
way of life, unless it is unpleasant, will be defended at almost any cost.

The standard example of this comes from US history in the 1950s: US Senator
Joseph R McCarthy attempted to locate members of subversive organisations who
might attempt to sabotage the US.  His hunt for suspected communists, however,
subverted the US Constitution; he was so busy defending the nation against
those who might damage it that he didn't notice the damage he was doing.  (In
particular, he violated numerous people's Fifth Amendment rights: the Senate
subcommittee he was in charge of imprisoned people for contempt because they
refused to answer questions.  However, the US Appeals Court in Washington
ruled that the Senate subcommittee "failed to establish the subject matter of
inquiry" -- thus depriving citizens of liberty without due process of law.)

The currently situation in the SBC seems to be a similar one.  The `Baptist
Faith and Message' (the closest to a creed that the SBC gets) states quite
clearly:

	Church and state should be separate.  The state owes to every
	church protection and full freedom in the pursuit of its spiritual
	ends.  In providing for such freedom no ecclesiastical group or
	denomination should be favored by the state more than others. [...]
	The church should not resort to the civil power to carry on its
	work.

But there are Southern Baptists who want to do both of the following:

    1) Make the `Baptist Faith and Message' binding on seminary professors.
and
    2) Outlaw purchasing alcohol on Sunday because that's "the Lord's Day".

This contradiction baffles me: people want to make binding a statement which
requires separation of church & state, but they also want the state to make
laws based on religious practices.  My only guess is that these people have
not fully considered their positions (perhaps they haven't even read the
BF&M); they want to preserve the status quo, whether it is self-consistent or
not.

In Revelation 2:4, Jesus tells the church in Ephesus that they have forsaken
their first love; I have heard numerous explanations for this, but the only
sensible one is that the Ephesians were so busy hunting heretics they lost
sight of the Great Commission.  In verses 2 & 6, Jesus approves the testing of
those who claim to be Apostles, throwing out wicked men, and disapproving of
the Nicolaitans.  Such activities might occupy a lot of time.

So ease off a little on the SBs; we advertise ourselves as trying to be like
a New Testament church, so at least we're honest.  8-)

Anyway, assuming I understand the problem (maintaining the status quo at
almost any cost), does anybody have any ideas about a solution?

kilroy@gboro.glassboro.edu      Darren F. Provine      ...njin!gboro!kilroy
 o o
()o()