[soc.religion.christian] Gospel textual history

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (05/17/91)

In article <May.13.04.16.27.1991.14809@athos.rutgers.edu>, hudson@athena.cs.uga.edu (Paul Hudson Jr) writes:
>>What books of the NT do you think were originally written in Aramaic?
>>All I know of is a theory, based on one of the writers of the early
>>church's quote of another writer that Matthew was written in Aramaic.

>  I think it is reasonable to assume that Paul's writings were written
> in Greek.  Luke's, John's, and Mark's should also be in Greek.
> Weren't they writing to Gentiles?  I am not sure of this.
>  It would make a lot of sense fot he writings to the diaspertia to be
> in Greek.  After all, Hebrew had almost died as a spoken language
> before and Greek Jews (and ex-prostelytes) should have spoken Greek.

Mark and Matthew, in my understanding, are frequently believed to
have had a Semitic original as their source(s). Whether this
means that they are translations of now-lost Aramaic originals or
share a common Aramaic source (the hypothetical "Q") is unknown.

Another interesting observation is that there does seem to be
some evidence for an evolutionary process for all four Gospel
texts. Some scholars view the Letters of John as being "trial
Gospels" where the message was presented to the people and
revised to make it clearer for the final product. There also
exists a very small fragment, labelled "unknown Gospel" which has
striking parallels with John and the synoptics and is believed to
predate the writing of the canonical four (sounds like a
political movement, doesn't it).

If you're interested in reading the "unknown Gospel" fragments,
they appear in Appendix I of _The Apocryphal New Testament_
edited by M.R. James (Clarendon Press, Oxford:1924). I picked up
my copy second-hand (although I don't remember where) and it has
a note on the flyleaf indicating that it's still in print. It's
an important enough volume that most large University libraries
should have a copy. As long as I'm continuing this digression
about the volume, I'd like to add that for those interested in
pseudopigraphica, this is definitely a must-buy. It's rather
comprehensive and well-balanced (as opposed to the sensationalist
volumes published by Bell).

-dh

--
Don Hosek
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu

[A more recent reference, which has a large number of fragments
of sayings, as well as better-known apocryphal works, is Edgar
Hennecke, ed, "New Testament Apocrypha", Westminster, 1963.
It is in 2 volumes.  The first has all the gospel type material.
--clh]

dhosek@hmcvax.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (05/23/91)

OFM said:

> [A more recent reference, which has a large number of fragments
> of sayings, as well as better-known apocryphal works, is Edgar
> Hennecke, ed, "New Testament Apocrypha", Westminster, 1963.
> It is in 2 volumes.  The first has all the gospel type material.
> --clh]

Actually, Hennecke's work is older than the M.R. James volume I
referred to (the original edition was published in 1904 in
German). I was, however, unaware of the English translation of
Hennecke which is mentioned favorably by James.

-dh