[soc.religion.christian] Messianic Judaism

tom@dvnspc1.dev.unisys.com (Tom Albrecht) (05/13/91)

The original to which I am responding appeared in soc.culture.jewish.  My
comments are more appropriately directed to this forum.

In article <1991May8.055514.4350@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu> you write:

>                   MESSIANIC JUDAISM ______ WHAT IS IT?
>
>     MESSIANIC JUDAISM is the belief that Yeshua is the redeemer spoken of
>in the Tenach [O.T.].  That He is the Messiah for whom our Jewish people
>all over the world, and throughout history have been waiting for.

>     Most Messianic Jews refrain from calling themselves "Christians",
>which is Greek terminology.  They prefer more Hebraic terms, such as
>"Messianic Jews".  The first use of the term Christian was in Antioch,
>among the Gentile believers (Acts 11:26).  ...

At least the term "Christian" is biblical.  "Messianic Jew" is not.  Such a
term makes an unwarranted distinction between Jew and Gentile in direct
contradiction to Ephesian 2:14-16.  Messianic Judaism is a cultic
expression that attempts to isolate believers in the Lord Jesus along
nationalistic/racial lines.  The NT is clear in pointing out that such
distinction no longer exists.  The Antioch church, the Christian church,
contained both Jew and Gentile.  In fact, the first converts were from
among the Jews (Acts 11:19ff).  So you are quite incorrect in saying that
"Christian" is a "Greek" term.  For it was applied to both Jews and
Gentiles in the early church.  It was often a point of persecution by the
unbelieving Jews against the Jewish Christians (cf. Rev. 2:9).

Messianic Judaism has a defected view of the person and work of Jesus
Christ, and the character of the people of God.  By their insistence on
observing the ceremonial/cultural laws of Moses as a continued religious
distinctive, they show how they fail to understand the temporary nature of
the Old Covenant signs and symbols.  Much of the book of Hebrews is
directed against such a position.  It makes the point that all the Old
Covenant customs not related to the moral attributes of God, the temple
services, the priesthood, food, etc., were temporary types of the ultimate
work of Jesus Christ.  One Jesus, the divine Anti-type, had appeared, the
types were no longer necessary.

Christianity quickly lost it Judaistic character in order to fulfill
Christ's command to "disciple all nations."  (Matt. 28:19)  Because of
their return to Old Covenant ceremonies, I would submit that "Messianic
Jews" are inadequately prepared to fulfill that command.

I would respectfully suggest the reason most Jews find Christianity
"unpalatable" today is the same reason many found it unpalatable during the
time of Christ, i.e., it is contrary to the "tradition of the elders."
(Matt. 15:2; Mark 7:3; Col. 2:8).   Modern Judaism is Talmud Judaism, based
on a tradition quite separate from the Word of God.  Attempting to become
more like Talmudic Jews will not help Christians win converts from among
the Jewish people, or the nations for that matter.

--
Tom Albrecht

hudson@athena.cs.uga.edu (Paul Hudson Jr) (05/17/91)

I think you are a little hard on Messianic Judaism.  I don't think it
is fair to say that Messianic Judaism tries to separate the body of
Christ.  How much contact have you had with Messianics?  There is
diversity in the movement.  So it is not fair to clump them all into
one group and make such generalizations.

i have a friend who is a Messianic (Gentile, actually I know a
Messianic Jew as well.  A Baptist, Messianic Jew.)  He calls himself
Christian.  There is nothing wrong with keeping the law of Moses (as
long as the proper motives are behind it.)  The first century church
in Jerusalem kept the law.  For one thing, because it was natural for
them.  Paul and the other apostles did not go around trying to force
dietary and Jewish cultural practices on Gentiles (except to the
extent that it related to religious practices that were proper for
both Jews and Gentiles, for example, the mikveh-Jesus commanded
baptism.  Laying hands on people, etc.)  Why should we force Jewish
Christians to become Gentiles?

What is wrong with using the Hebrew root of the word Christian.  I
don't think that anyone should be ashamed to use the word Christian.
But the Jewish word for Christ (Christos) is Messiah.  Messianic is at
least loosely based on the Hebrew word.

Here is an interesting idea.  When the apostles took the gospel to the
Gentiles, they transliterated the name "Yeshua" into "Yesus," a word
that could be written and pronounced in Greek.  But they literally
translated the word Messiah (the Annointed On ) into Christ.  Why
don't we call Jesus, Jesus the Annointed One instead of
transliterating the Greek term?

Link Hudson

gowj@gatech.edu (James Gow) (05/22/91)

In article <May.13.02.02.58.1991.12048@athos.rutgers.edu> tom@dvnspc1.dev.unisys.com (Tom Albrecht) writes:
>The original to which I am responding appeared in soc.culture.jewish.  My
>comments are more appropriately directed to this forum.
>
>In article <1991May8.055514.4350@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu> you write:
>>
>>                   MESSIANIC JUDAISM ______ WHAT IS IT?
>>
>>     MESSIANIC JUDAISM is the belief that Yeshua is the redeemer spoken of
>>in the Tenach [O.T.].  That He is the Messiah for whom our Jewish people
>>all over the world, and throughout history have been waiting for.

>>     Most Messianic Jews refrain from calling themselves "Christians",
>>which is Greek terminology.  They prefer more Hebraic terms, such as
>>"Messianic Jews".  The first use of the term Christian was in Antioch,
>>among the Gentile believers (Acts 11:26).  ...
>
>At least the term "Christian" is biblical.  "Messianic Jew" is not.  Such a
>term makes an unwarranted distinction between Jew and Gentile in direct
>contradiction to Ephesian 2:14-16.
I wonder. According to Zondervan commentary Mat. 5:17 and Rom. 3:31 the O.T.
standard of the law is not changed by the coming of Christ. The separation
is one regarding ritually uncleanness. This means we can associate with our
jewish brothers and sisters certainly opening the opportunity for dialog.
Ihave encountered jews who based on the ephesian scriptuers mentioned refer
to themselves as completed jews since in the Mathew scripture he says he has
not abolished the law and the prophets but fulfilled them. In the sense when
a Jew accepts Jesus as Lord and Saviour he acepts JEsus as Messiah and is
fulfilled or completed adn certainly messianic. IN the rom 3:31 scripture
Paul regards himself as an upholder of the law. Rom chap 7 v1 refers to the
upholdin gof the law regarding adultery adn marriage. Paul refers to us,
gentiles, as the ingrafted branch. If Romans 11:17   "And if some of the
branches be broken off, and thou, being
a wild olive tree, wert grafted in among them, and with them partakest of
the root and fatness of the olive tree;"

Romans 11:18   "Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou
bearest not the root, but the root thee."

Romans 11:19   "Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I
might be grafted in."

Romans 11:20   "Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou
standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:"

Romans 11:21   "For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest
he also spare not thee."

Romans 11:22   "Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them
which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his
goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off."

Romans 11:23   "And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall
be grafted in: for God is able to graft them in again."

Romans 11:24   "For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by
nature, and wert grafted contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how
much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be grafted into their
own olive tree?"

>Messianic Judaism is a cultic
>expression that attempts to isolate believers in the Lord Jesus along
>nationalistic/racial lines.
I believe a better indication of cultic doctrine is in the tenants of the
messianic Jews beliefs regarding the blood of Christ. If the MJ does not
believe that it is the blood of Christ that cleansed them from their sin and
set them free from satans hold adn that this blood has not been applied to
their hearts minds and souls as part of their salvation then I would be
inclined to agree with you regarding the cultishness of MJ's. An theology
that cannot accept teh direction application of the blood of Christ to their
bodys, minds souls and spirits as part of their salvation have a problem. IF
there is no blood there is no salvation because it is Christs blood that
distinguishes his preincarnate existence to his incarnate existance as the
eternal Son. 1 JOhn refers to the belief that Jesus Christ has come in the
flesh as a tenant of true faith.

>The NT is clear in pointing out that such
>distinction no longer exists.

I believe this is a spiritual distinction. YOu cna still tell a male from a
female or a JEw from a greek.
Gal 3:28

>The Antioch church, the Christian church,
>contained both Jew and Gentile.  In fact, the first converts were from
>among the Jews (Acts 11:19ff).  So you are quite incorrect in saying that
>"Christian" is a "Greek" term.  For it was applied to both Jews and
>Gentiles in the early church.  It was often a point of persecution by the
>unbelieving Jews against the Jewish Christians (cf. Rev. 2:9).
>Rom 2:28 refers to a true Jew being one in heart not in flesh. Is the term
true Jew not suggested here? If one is a true Jew would they not accept
Jesus as Messiah? I believe so .

>Messianic Judaism has a defected view of the person and work of Jesus
>Christ, and the character of the people of God.  By their insistence on
>observing the ceremonial/cultural laws of Moses as a continued religious
>distinctive, they show how they fail to understand the temporary nature of
>the Old Covenant signs and symbols.

Do they sacrifice?

 Much of the book of Hebrews is
>directed against such a position.  It makes the point that all the Old
>Covenant customs not related to the moral attributes of God, the temple
>services, the priesthood, food, etc., were temporary types of the ultimate
>work of Jesus Christ.  One Jesus, the divine Anti-type, had appeared, the
>types were no longer necessary.
>
>Christianity quickly lost it Judaistic character in order to fulfill
>Christ's command to "disciple all nations."  (Matt. 28:19)  Because of
>their return to Old Covenant ceremonies, I would submit that "Messianic
>Jews" are inadequately prepared to fulfill that command.

I wont belive the messianic jews are not able to fulfill the great commsion
unless they dont hold the basic doctrinal postions on the blood, the water
and the spirit.

>I would respectfully suggest the reason most Jews find Christianity
>"unpalatable" today is the same reason many found it unpalatable during the
>time of Christ, i.e., it is contrary to the "tradition of the elders."
>(Matt. 15:2; Mark 7:3; Col. 2:8).   Modern Judaism is Talmud Judaism, based
>on a tradition quite separate from the Word of God.  Attempting to become
>more like Talmudic Jews will not help Christians win converts from among
>the Jewish people, or the nations for that matter.
>

>Thre is a reference to ceremonial uncleanness above.
Perhpas our MEssianic Jewish friend will write abck and mention some of his
doctrinal views on the blood of Christ.

linc
james
--
>Tom Albrecht

hudson@athena.cs.uga.edu (Paul Hudson Jr) (05/24/91)

Most of these conclusions about Messianic Judaism being a cult is
based on faulty information and broad generalizations.  MJ is a
diverse movement.  I know some who believe in blood atonment.  You
can't make generalizations about them like "Messianics don't believe
in the blood atonement."  There may be some heretics in the Messianic
movement.  I would not appreciate someone observing a scientologist
and making the conclusion that all American Christians are members of
cults.  You can't make such generalizations.  Link.