[soc.religion.christian] Qualifications for theological discourse

dhosek@lucy.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (05/24/91)

In article <May.22.20.42.58.1991.20345@athos.rutgers.edu>, conan@lipton.berkeley.edu (David Cruz-Uribe) writes:
> In article <May.17.02.51.54.1991.28071@athos.rutgers.edu> jhpb@garage.att.com (Joseph H Buehler) writes:

>>I frankly do not think there are any Catholics present who are competent
>>to defend the idea that women should be ordained.  To deal adequately
>>with the issue requires training far above and beyond anything that a
>>layman is likely to possess, at the very least.

> Ignoring the actual discussion in progress, I find this to be an amazingly
> presumptuous statement.  There are many extraordinarily talented lay
> theologians--to the best of my understanding, theological knowledge is
> not one of the charisms of ordinatiion.

Well, I interpretted "layman" not necessarily to mean non-priest,
but simply an untrained individual. Not that I necessarily agree
(although on the other hand, nor do I feel qualified enough to
say anything more than that I believe women can be validly
ordained without much more force than that) but it is a
worthwhile point. Someone else brought up an interesting
scripture on knowledge in another posting.

-dh

--
Don Hosek
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu