[soc.religion.christian] Rocks

horsch@cs.ubc.ca (Michael Horsch) (05/18/91)

In article <May.10.23.10.45.1991.27055@athos.rutgers.edu>
jhaynes@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu writes:
:
:Exodus 17:1-7 [...]
: This is the first account of where Moses was instructed to bring water from
:the rock by striking the rock.
:
:Numbers 20:1-13 [...]
:  Here the people were in the Desert of Zin and Moses was instructed to
: speak to the rock.  But in his anger he struck the rock and brought the
: judgment of God upon him.  The blessing of the rock still flowed out
: because the blessings from God are not restricted to the obedience of our
: teachers.
:
:1 Cor 10:4    4 and drank the same spiritual drink; for they drank from
:              the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was
:              Christ. (NIV)

The "spiritual rock" of which Paul speaks need not be the rock which
Moses struck in the stories you mention.  It could very well be the
covenant God made with the Israelites.

Even the rock which Moses struck can be interpreted as a covenant:
a promise for salvation.  And didn't Moses have to go back up the
mountain because he smashed the first version of the commandments
in anger?  Another strike to the "rock".

(This reminds me of a cartoon I saw:  Moses, holding a tablet which
states "Thank you for not sinning", says something like "I think you're
going to have to be more explicit than this."  Anyway, I liked it...)

:In His Hands,
:
:Joel

Mike  (just ask me)
--
Michael C. Horsch		Department of Computer Science
horsch@cs.ubc.ca		University of British Columbia

tblake@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Thomas Blake) (05/23/91)

In article <May.18.00.49.05.1991.2976@athos.rutgers.edu> horsch@cs.ubc.ca (Michael Horsch) writes:
>Even the rock which Moses struck can be interpreted as a covenant:
>a promise for salvation.  And didn't Moses have to go back up the
>mountain because he smashed the first version of the commandments
>in anger?  Another strike to the "rock".

I recently read a book entitled "The Bible as History".  (If I recall
correctly that was the title.  It apparantly was a translation of a book
written in German.)  In any case, the author claims that water from a
stone is quite possible in that region, and is a fairly well known
phenonmenon.

Let me see if I can remember the explanation.  Start with a stone with a
slowly flowing spring.  Mineral deposits build up as the water
evaporates.  Eventually, the deposits block the spring entirely.  Strike
this stone (for instance with a shovel) the deposits break off, the
spring is uncovered, and water flows from the stone.

If there's enough interest, I'll bring in the book, and get the actual
explanation.

					Tom Blake
					SUNY-Binghamton

jclark@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (John Clark) (05/26/91)

[Thomas Blake responded to a comment about Moses striking a rock and
geting water.  He referred to "The Bible as History", saying that the
author claims that water from a stone is quite possible in that
region, and is a fairly well known phenonmenon.  --clh]

But this does not explain why Moses was rebuked by the Diety when he
struck a rock a second time to get water rather than speaking to it
as he was told to do.
--

John Clark
jclark@ucsd.edu