[soc.religion.christian] I AM DISGUSTED!

irani@brahms.udel.edu (Jennifer Irani) (05/05/91)

	There has been a lot of talk recently in the media about the
Presbyterian Church (USA) and their possible new acceptance of a very
liberal stand on sex.  If passed, the church will not have qualms
about Christians having homosexual relations, sex outside of marriage,
premarital sex, etc.  This is a disgusting fact!!
	What does the Bible have to say about this?  Well, the Presb (USA)
church seems to think it is outdated for they are willing to forget the
many passages that speak of homosexuality, premarital sex, etc as a SIN!
The Bible has not been revised and it does not need to be.  The church in
general has already accepted unequally yoked couples and has forgotten the
concept of church discipline.  In a time of swiftly changing values and
ideals, this is definately a time for the church to stand firm. In addition,
I feel it is a time for Christians within the PCUSA church to GET OUT if
this is passed.  You may think that you can make a difference by staying
and maybe change it, but when something is passed nationwide, you will only
become a part of it in association.
	My purpose here is not to step on a toes (however, if I stomped,
I can not apologize) but to express my disgust for how the church is
willing to compromise.  May we see the tactics of Satan in this and join
in prayer against it.

Jennifer Irani
irani@brahms.udel.edu

[I've now had a chance to look at the report.  It takes roughly the
following position: The Bible has a number of approaches relevant to
sexuality.  This includes the Holiness Code in Ex. and Lev., the
prophets' emphasis on justice in human behavior, and Paul's call to
build Christianity on love rather than law.  They claim that a number
of current attitudes on sexuality are not derived primarily from the
Bible, but from the attitudes of our culture towards the body, male
dominance, and considering the nuclear family to be the ultimate
value.  They say that they are trying to steer a middle course between
a secular culture that claims to be advocating freedom while it is
actually abandoning responsibilty, and on the other hand a religious
tradition that has degenerated into rules that are becoming irrelevant
to an increasing fraction of our membership.  The question is whether
we can find anything between a culture that shouts "YES" and a
religious tradition that has nothing more creative to say than "just
say no".

What they propose is an approach to sexuality that emphasizes
responsible choice, taking into account fidelity to commitments, and
just relations between the sexes (and between those with power and
those who are powerless).  While they would remove rules against some
things now considered taboo, the concerns they propose also challenge
things that are now all too common.  They are not quite saying
"anything goes", or at least they claim that they do not intend to.

The report advocates that Christians need to reclaim passion and an
understanding of humans as sexual entities.

I find the report (and the associated minority report) very
interesting.  Note that the PCUSA is already committed to a style of
using Scripture that is willing to dismiss some specific rules as
being culture-bound.  Thus I think the PCUSA is not going to take a
position that will be entirely satisfactory to more conservative
Christians.  The questions that I think the church is going to have to
grapple with are (1) whether it is enough to foster responsible
decision-making, or whether there are areas in which specific guidance
is useful, as an antidote to our tendency to allow passions to
overwhelm us.  This is of particular concern in dealing with youth.
Interestingly enough, there is one area where they call for more
specific policies, in connection with pastor's abuse of their role.
(2) whether the emphasis on humans as sexual beings has to some extent
confused sexuality with being sexually active.

To respond to this proposal, the church is going to have to look
carefully at the report in some detail.  My hope is that we can avoid
oversimplifying the issues so that we simply throw slogans at each
other.  There are a lot of difficult issues posed in the reports,
which I'd like to see people come to grips with.  Examples are the
sexuality of persons with disabilities, and of those with mental
incapacity.  Note that this report will almost certainly be used as
the basis for church-wide study.  That is, I'd be very surprised to
find the General Assembly voting to accept or reject it.  When dealing
with major issue, the PCUSA normally attempts to get groups throughout
the church to study the issue in detail and make comments.  Then
further hearings are conducted, and there is an attempt to come up
with a position.  A lot will depend upon how individual Presbyterians
see Scripture applying to sexuality.  I really don't know, but I
suspect over the next year or two, we'll all find out.

--clh]

mib@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Michael I Bushnell) (05/07/91)

In article <May.4.23.33.21.1991.22374@athos.rutgers.edu> irani@brahms.udel.edu (Jennifer Irani) writes:

   There has been a lot of talk recently in the media about the
   Presbyterian Church (USA) and their possible new acceptance of a very
   liberal stand on sex.  If passed, the church will not have qualms
   about Christians having homosexual relations, sex outside of marriage,
   premarital sex, etc.  This is a disgusting fact!!

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.  I chanted the magic phrase "sit on your
hands, Mike" several times, and it doesn't seem to have worked.  Have
you read the new "very liberal stand"?  I have.  I was impressed that
the authors of the report took the time to seriously investigate some
difficult issues rather than to throw catch-phrases and slogans at
them.  Unfortunately, some people seems to prefer the catch-phrases
and slogans.  They make life simpler, 'tis true.

   What does the Bible have to say about this?  Well, the Presb (USA)
   church seems to think it is outdated for they are willing to forget the
   many passages that speak of homosexuality, premarital sex, etc as a SIN!

Ah, it is quite clear that Jennifer has not read the report.  Those
"many passages" (which are rather few and limited, especially when
compared with the "love your neighbor" and "love your
fellow-Christian" passages) *were* examined in the report.  There was
considerable attention paid to them, especially in the section on
homosexuality.  So, whatever else, no one on that committee ignored or
forgot anything.

   The Bible has not been revised and it does not need to be.

Hey, we agree!  But then, as a minister of mine once remarked, "I
don't need a pope."  I don't need a pope, even if it's Paul, or
someone's misreading of him.

   The church in
   general has already accepted unequally yoked couples and has forgotten the
   concept of church discipline.

The PCUSA has tried to accept all people.  We regard it as essential
to "[extend] the fellowship of Christ to all persons."  As a result,
one would be hard pressed to convince the PCUSA not to accept
"unequally yoked couples."  As for the claim that the PCUSA has
forgotten church discipline, it certainly hasn't.  It takes it far
more seriously than does the average single-congregation
fundamentalist church, for it tries to deal responsibly with the
individual(s) involved, rather than using broad, offensive, and
hate-filled techniques like shunning.  It certainly isn't perfect at
these two goals, but it is considerably better than many who call
themselves Christian.

   In a time of swiftly changing values and
   ideals, this is definately a time for the church to stand firm.

Indeed.  I'd like the see the church take a stand for what is right.
A stand for love, and for the expression of God's love to all people.
I'd like to see the church discard the reactionary wishes of a few who
confuse right-wing American culture with God-willed society.  I'd like
to see a church which is able to address the needs and concerns of all
people rather than identifying "friends" and "enemies" and sheltering
the "friends" from the onrushing crowds of immoral "enemies".

   In addition,
   I feel it is a time for Christians within the PCUSA church to GET OUT if
   this is passed.  You may think that you can make a difference by staying
   and maybe change it, but when something is passed nationwide, you will only
   become a part of it in association.

Golly, if the report is accepted by the General Assembly, I think that
would be a remarkable sign that God is at work within the PCUSA.  I
also think that, if the report is not passed, I will remain, and try
to work for justice and love.  We don't like to acheive results
through threats.  Jennifer's final sentence sounds a lot like the
Pharisee's comments to Jesus when the *known prostitute* washed his
feet with her tears and hair.  Jesus was willing to associate with
those who were labelled "bad people" by the religious leaders of his
day.  It's a shame that some still tell us that we should avoid the
"bad people" and reject them lest we be "made unclean" by association.

   My purpose here is not to step on a toes (however, if I stomped, I
   can not apologize) but to express my disgust for how the church is
   willing to compromise.  May we see the tactics of Satan in this and
   join in prayer against it.

Consider my toes quite thoroughly squashed.  I, too, would like to see
the tactics of Satan exposed.  I would like to see the divisiveness
and vindictiveness end.  I would like to see a church emerge that
effectively spreads the gospel of love instead of the clique-ish false
gospel of hate.  This is what I pray for.

	-mib

kane@buast7.bu.edu (Brian Kane) (05/08/91)

In article <May.4.23.33.21.1991.22374@athos.rutgers.edu> irani@brahms.udel.edu (Jennifer Irani) writes:

>	There has been a lot of talk recently in the media about the
>Presbyterian Church (USA) and their possible new acceptance of a very
>liberal stand on sex.  If passed, the church will not have qualms
>about Christians having homosexual relations, sex outside of marriage,
>premarital sex, etc.  This is a disgusting fact!!
>	What does the Bible have to say about this?  Well, the Presb (USA)
>church seems to think it is outdated for they are willing to forget the
>many passages that speak of homosexuality, premarital sex, etc as a SIN!
>The Bible has not been revised and it does not need to be.  The church in

In reference to this post and the recent posting about God's "Bad Laws"
may I point out that certain notorious passages in the Old Testament
refer to concubinage, bigamy, incest, and slavery as natural in the eyes
of God (in that he does nothing or says nothing to stop these practices).
Yet our modern culture completely rejects them. We have consciously or
unconsciously revised standard biblical practices already. If the entirety
of the Bible is God's Word, why have we given ourselves this privilege?

Even more notoriously, why does our modern society reject the Biblical
"Mark of Cain" argument for segregrating and debasing African Americans
and other black-skinned peoples? Must we necessarily follow all of
Scripture? Did God give Moses and others good and bad laws, leaving us
to figure out which was which?...

...which brings me to my main point...how do we know that the laws against
homosexuality aren't "Bad Laws"?

Oh, and yes, one other VERY SIGNIFICANT way that the Bible has already
been altered is the obliteration of any reference to homosexual marriages
which were once legally sanctioned in the Roman Catholic Church, until
the Inquisitions. There is an upcoming book to be published dealing with
just this subject, by Prof. John Boswell of Yale. Look for it in the
fall (according to Dr. Boswell). He will surprise you by documenting
cases of gay marriages that occurred as recently as 1940 in Albania. Even
now liturgy exists for the Mechites, a Christian sect in the Middle East.
To my knowledge, they don't conduct gay marriages anymore due to Moslem
influences/threats.

So, if gay marriage rites and rights were once officially sanctioned by
several Christian denominations, what happened? Why can't homosexual
relations be holy as long as the persons are married, the same law which
puports to apply to everyone else? Has a grave injustice ALREADY been
done?

[I don't recognize you as having contributed to this discussion
before, so you may be a new contributor.  Several people have referred
to Boswell's claims of homosexual marriage ceremonies, but so far no
one has been able to supply enough information to allow anyone to
evaluate the claim.  People are beginning to get annoyed by postings
of that sort.  Perhaps we could have a moratorium on citations until
the book actually appears, or someone who knows what is going to be in
it tells us in some detail.  --clh]

tblake@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Thomas Blake) (05/10/91)

In article <May.8.03.50.26.1991.10536@athos.rutgers.edu> kane@buast7.bu.edu (Brian Kane) writes:
>...which brings me to my main point...how do we know that the laws against
>homosexuality aren't "Bad Laws"?

Here's an interesting passage from Matthew...

(Jesus has just finished giving the Pharisees the low-down on divorce.)

Matthew 19:10-12

  10 His disciples said to him, "If this is how it is between a man and
his wife, it is better not to marry."
  11 Jesus answered, "This teaching does not apply to everyone, but only
to those who God has given it.  12 For there are different reasons why
men cannot marry: some, because they were born that way; others because
men made them that way; and others do not marry for the sake of the
Kingdom of heaven.  Let him who can accept this teaching do so."
(TEV)

What is the "conventional" way of interpretting this passage?  I've
often heard the argument made that "Jesus never spoke against
homosexuality!".  Well, that doesn't mean he's in favor of it either now
does it.

But back a few months ago, when the homosexuality issue was a hot topic
on this board I came across the above passage.  I didn't bring it up
then.  (Call me a coward.)  The third reason Jesus lists apparantly has
been interpreted as referring to the celibacy of the priesthood.  What
do the first two refer to?  And what does the closing instruction refer
to?  (I would guess this is usually interpreted as "Accept the celibacy
of the priesthood if your can.")

Just throwing it out for discussion folks.

					Tom Blake
					SUNY-Binghamton

jclark@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (John Clark) (05/10/91)

In article <May.4.23.33.21.1991.22374@athos.rutgers.edu> irani@brahms.udel.edu (Jennifer Irani) writes:
+general has already accepted unequally yoked couples and has forgotten the
+concept of church discipline.  In a time of swiftly changing values and
+ideals, this is definately a time for the church to stand firm. In addition,

I don't think values are swiftly changing. In fact, the homosexual
groups seem to be advocating the same values, monogamy, marriage,
stable relationships, as the Christian 'family' protection groups. The
'value' that is changing is 'who is able to declare a stable 'marriage'
relationship". It would seem that some Christians are advocating that
since a homosexual relationship is sinful it may as well be transitory
as well. 2000 years of regulation has not ended homosexual practice, nor
will another 2000 years. The Christians clamor that they are protecting
the 'family' while denying a 'family' designation to all but those
relationship which fit into a very narrow spectrum of posibilities.
--

John Clark
jclark@ucsd.edu

hudson@athena.cs.uga.edu (Paul Hudson Jr) (05/11/91)

In article <May.7.00.48.54.1991.15007@athos.rutgers.edu> mib@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Michael I Bushnell) writes:
, for it tries to deal responsibly with the
>individual(s) involved, rather than using broad, offensive, and
>hate-filled techniques like shunning.  It certainly isn't perfect at
>these two goals, but it is considerably better than many who call
>themselves Christian.

The concept of shunning is a Biblical one.  Christians should feel
free to associate with drug users, prostitutes, murderers, etc. as
long as good judgement is used in doing so.  But we should not
associate with immoral people who call themselves Christians.

In I Corinthians chapter 5, Paul discusses how the church whould deal
with a man who was having an incestuous relationship with his
stepmother or possibly his mother.  Paul said that the man should be
delivered to Satan for a while in order that in the end, his spirit
might be saved.  He further explained how can associate with sinners,
but not with those who call themselves brothers who are sexually
immoral, swindlers, drunkards, and practicers of several other sins.
We should purge these people out of the church.  That is our duty.

Why should we do this.  Well in my opinion, by associating ourselves
with these people, we say to the world "this is what it means to be a
Christian."  Thus we blaspheme the name of God and the name of Christ
with our witness.  We can associate with sinners who are not
Christians.  By removing the "leaven" from the church, we give the
non-Christians an example of how to live when they come into the
church.

Well, does this show Christian love?  Is this applying Christian
principles to our lives?  Why did Paul say he delivered the man over
to Satan?  So that his spirit might be saved!  It seems that by
keeping such people in the church, we encourage them not to change.
We endanger the salvation of their spirits!  Is this true love?  No.
Love looks beyond the short term.  Love doesn't always take the easy
way out.  It would be easier to accept these people.  It is hard to
cut the person off.  It hurts when you have to amputate a member of
your body.  But it has to be done, or the poison will spread.  Of
course, this illistrations only goes so far.  We are to cut the
evil-doers off so that they will feel ashamed.  Hopefully, they will
turn from their sin, and come back to God.  Then, this poisoned member
can healed and restored to the body.  If we really love someone, we
will not encourage them to sin.

It is clear from Scripture that homosexuality is a sin.  I Corinthians
6, says that homosexuals, along with many other sins, that we might
consider lesser and greater, will not inherit the kingdom of God.
That is a serious statement.  I have read the argument here that we
are not under any kind of law, including the law of Paul.  I recall a
sentence in I Corinthians 9.  Paul said that when he was with those
who wer without law, he became as one without law.  Not as being
without law to God, but as being under the law of Christ.  or
something to that effect.  Though we are not under the Torah, we do
have some restrictions.  For example, when the council of Jerusalem
wrote a letter to the Gentiles to explain that they are not under the
law, they were told to abstain from fornication, from idolatry, adn
from eating blood.  We cannot practice these things without sinning.
And we are not to sin knowing that we will be forgiven.  Hebrews 10
indicates that by trampling on the blood of Christ in sucha manner, we
incur a greater penalty than death under the law.  We are under the
"law of liberty" according to James (2).  We will be judged by this
law.

The Nicolatians taught that it was permissable to commit fornication,
and various other sins.  Their teaching is compared to the "way of
Balaam."  Jesus said in Revelations 2, that if the members of the
church that had listened to these teachings did not repent, he would
come against them with a sword.

Peter also refers to such teachers who followed the "way of Balaam."
(Ballam had according to Revelation, encouraged Israel to commit
fornication and eat meat offered to idols.)  Peter strongly condemns
these false teachers in II Peter 2.  He even says "For if after they
have excaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of our
Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and
overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning.  For it
had been better for them not to have known the way of rioghteousness,
than, after they had known it, to turn from the holy commandment,
delivered unto them.  But it is happened to them according to the true
proverb, the dog is turned to his own vomit again, and the sow that
was eashed ot her wallowing in the mire."  I might have made a few
mistakes, but this is the essence of it.  Sorry for using the KJV.  a

Thank you.
Link Hudson

hudson@athena.cs.uga.edu (Paul Hudson Jr) (05/11/91)

In article <May.8.03.50.26.1991.10536@athos.rutgers.edu> kane@buast7.bu.edu (Brian Kane) writes:

>In reference to this post and the recent posting about God's "Bad Laws"
>may I point out that certain notorious passages in the Old Testament
>refer to concubinage, bigamy, incest, and slavery as natural in the eyes
>of God (in that he does nothing or says nothing to stop these practices).
>Yet our modern culture completely rejects them. We have consciously or
>unconsciously revised standard biblical practices already. If the entirety
>of the Bible is God's Word, why have we given ourselves this privilege?

I wish to interject here, that though Abraham and Sarah were cousins
it is not accurate to say that God approves of incest.  These two were
married before the law was given.  If you will read in the law, you
will see that any brother or sister that married were cut off from the
people.  Most other forms of incest were punishable by death.  Though
in western culture it is taboo to marry one's first cousin, or even
second or third cousin, in Biblical tradition, this is not considered
incest.  I could not marry my 1st cousin in good consciense.  It is
only a sin of conscience.  Paul says in romans 5 that sin is not
imputed when there si no law.  Jesus made it clear that two were to be
one flesh.  Now we know that monogamy in marriage is the way to go.
We have the words to obey now.  People in the past did not always have
them.  In the past, God also overlooked the idolatry of the Greeks,
but now the truth is manifested.

>Even more notoriously, why does our modern society reject the Biblical
>"Mark of Cain" argument for segregrating and debasing African Americans.

I would like to point out that it is impossible for this mark to refer
to blacks.  or at least very unlikely.  Cain perished in the flood.
Eight people came out of the flood. They were, by patriarchial
lineage, of course, descendents of Seth.  I assume that this "mark of
Cain" being used for blacks is a much later invention.  It is not used
for Nubians or any other darked skinned people in any later