[soc.religion.christian] Ressurection

george@electro.com (George Reimer) (05/24/91)

In article <May.22.00.47.03.1991.1439@athos.rutgers.edu> hudson@athena.cs.uga.edu (Paul Hudson Jr) writes:
>A few months ago, i was wondering on what day of the week Jesus died.
>I read someone's article on here that said that he died on Wednsday.
>That would have put him in the tomb for four or five days by Jewish
>reckoning.  From what I understand, any part of a day would be refered
>to as a day. Since Jesus was burried on Friday, Friday was one day,
>that night was one night, Saturday was one day, that night was the
>second night.  Sunday morning was the third day.  By our reckoning,
>three days and two nights.
>
>I had a problem.  Jesus said in Matthew 12:40 that he would be in the
>heart of the earth for 3 days and 3 nights.  I kept trying to figure
>this out.  Also, Paul said that he rose on the third day.  How could
>this be?
>
>FInally, I read part of a book by Josh McDowell.  It had a quote from
>the Talmud and other evidence to show that "3 days and 3 nights" is an
>idion meaning any part of a day or night.
>
>So now I believe he died on Friday.  And rose on Sunday morning.

As a child, I had at times  wondered about similar questions .
(I was brought up as a Mennonite ) To explain the seventh day
Sabbath I was told that the first day of the week was _Monday_ .
Similarily, when I tried to count to three from Friday to Sunday,
I couldn't. I was reassured that this was becaused there also
existed an Easter Monday,( a school holiday ) and that this was how
the apparent paradox was resolved.

Having reached adulthood, I found I needed to have another look at the
issues. The study and subsequent evidence I came to understand was
simply astounding!

The Bible fully supports a Wednesday crucifiction and a Saturday
ressurection. If you're interested I'll dig up my notes for all the
details. However, some of the key main points that needed pointing out were:
    i ) there were two Sabbaths the week of the crucifiction.
        an annual Holy Day, the Passover, and the regular weekly one.
    ii) the 3 days and nights were the *only* sign Christ gave
	    to a 'wicked and adulterous generation'.
    iii)the women returned to the tomb *while it was still dark*
        on the first day.

--

    |---|---|line--upon--line---|---|---|---|   watmath!watcgl!electro!george

tas@pegasus.com (Len Howard) (05/27/91)

Just for the sake of keeping the Sabbath where it is, the full text
usually says something like "John 20:1 It was the first day of the
week and still dark. NJB which makes it what we now know as Sunday.