[soc.religion.christian] Sotah 49a-49b

cms@dragon.com (05/13/91)

 I am taking a course in Judaism this quarter at Georgia State.  We're
studying this passage from the Talmud.  I'd appreciate any commentary
on this passage.  I'd like to analyze it in true Talmudic fashion.
Thanks for any help.

BEGIN QUOTATION

MISHNAH, Sotah 49a-49b

In the footsteps of the Messiah insolence will increase and honour
dwindle (1); the vine will yield its fruit [abundantly] but wine will
be dear (2); the government will turn to heresy (3) and there will be
none [to offer them] reproof; the meeting-place [of scholars] will be
used for immorality; Galilee will be destroyed, Gablan desolated, and
the dwellers on the frontier will go about [begging] from place to
place without anyone to take pity on them; the wisdom of the learned
(5) will degenerate, fearers of sin will be despised, and the truth
will be lacking; youths will put old men to shame, the old will stand
up in the presence of the young, a son will revile his father, a
daughter will rise against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her
mother-in-law, and a man's enemies will be the members of his
household (6); the face of the generation will be like the face of a
dog (7), a son will not feel ashamed before his father, so upon whom
is it for us to rely?  upon our Father who is in Heaven.

NOTES

1.  JAST. RENDERS; THE NOBILITY SHALL BE OPPRESSED.  IN SANH. 97A
THERE IS A VARIANT:  HONOUR WILL BE PERVERTED; OR, ACCORDING TO JAST.
THE NOBILITY WILL PERVERT (JUSTICE).

2.  Through the spread of drunkenness.

3.  These words are omitted in the Talmud ed. of the Mishnah.  The
meaning is:  The Roman Empire will go over to Christianity.  V.
Herford, op. cit., p. 207.

4.  Perhaps Gabal of Ps. LXXXIII, 8, i.e., the Northern part of Mount
Seir.  [Others:  Gaulan, E. of the Sea of Galilee and the Upper
Jordan.]

5.  Lit., 'scribes'.

6.  V. Micah VII, 6.

7.  Impervious to shame.  [In some editions the whole of this passage
beginning 'R. Phineas b. Jair' is introduced with 'Our Rabbis taught',
and not as part of the Mishnah.]

END QUOTATION

The Rabbi teaching the course gave a handout on this passage xeroxing
the Gemara passage pertaining to it.  Unfortunately, it ends with a
commentary on when Rabbi died, "humility and fear of sin ceased."
Does this mean the Gemara has no commentary on the Messiah or simply
no commentary on the section I've quoted?  Thanks for any help.

--
Sincerely,
Cindy Smith

[I normally disallow discussions of non-Christian religions in this
group.  However given the sensitivity of Christian postings in s.c.j,
and the Messianic involvement of this passage, I suspect it would be a
bad idea to suggest that you ask this on s.c.j.  --clh]

mejicovs@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (05/14/91)

In article <May.13.03.53.05.1991.13189@athos.rutgers.edu> cms@dragon.com writes:

> I am taking a course in Judaism this quarter at Georgia State.  We're
>studying this passage from the Talmud.  I'd appreciate any commentary
>on this passage.  I'd like to analyze it in true Talmudic fashion.
>Thanks for any help.

Why are you posting this to this group if you want an analysis in
true Talmudic fashion?

>[I normally disallow discussions of non-Christian religions in this
>group.  However given the sensitivity of Christian postings in s.c.j,
>and the Messianic involvement of this passage, I suspect it would be a
>bad idea to suggest that you ask this on s.c.j.  --clh]

I don't know why we in s.c.jewish would be upset by someone asking us to
analyze a few lines of Talmud.

Since this has been posted there haven't been any flames with regards
to it.

What we DO have a problem with is people claiming to be Jewish but teaching
Christian beliefs.  This is dishonest and not part of scj's forum.

My thanks to Tom Albrecht (I think) for the posting on why Christians
shouldn't call themselves Jews.

James
mejicovs@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

hudson@athena.cs.uga.edu (Paul Hudson Jr) (05/18/91)

Why shouldn't Christian Jews call themselves Jews?  Jesus was a Jew.
Was his disciple Peter a Jew?  Were his apostles Jewish?

As Christians, we believe that Jesus is the Jewish Messiah.  If a
Jewish Christian believes that Jesus is the Messiah, and does not call
himself Jewish, then is he not being dishonest.

I know of Messianics who keep kosher and keep the law.  You say that
they are not Jewish, yet there are reformed Jews who do not keep any
of the food ordinances, are these Jews?

wlinden@msb.com (Will Linden) (05/19/91)

In <May.18.02.12.35.1991.3863@athos.rutgers.edu> hudson@athena.cs.uga.edu (Paul Hudson Jr) writes:

>Why shouldn't Christian Jews call themselves Jews?  Jesus was a Jew.
>Was his disciple Peter a Jew?  Were his apostles Jewish?
>I know of Messianics who keep kosher and keep the law.  You say that
>they are not Jewish, yet there are reformed Jews who do not keep any
>of the food ordinances, are these Jews?
 What he said.
 I can not understand the rationale for claiming that an atheist who sneers
at Torah and halakah but made the right choice of mother is somehow MORE
Jewish than Moshe Rosen.
--
Will Linden                                 MCI: WLINDEN
Internet: wlinden@msb.com             "On to the castle, to kill the royal

mejicovs@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (05/23/91)

In article <May.18.02.12.35.1991.3863@athos.rutgers.edu> hudson@athena.cs.uga.edu (Paul Hudson Jr) writes:
>Why shouldn't Christian Jews call themselves Jews?  Jesus was a Jew.
>Was his disciple Peter a Jew?  Were his apostles Jewish?

Halachically, yes (sorry, by Jewish law)...
Socially and theologically, NO!

>As Christians, we believe that Jesus is the Jewish Messiah.  If a
>Jewish Christian believes that Jesus is the Messiah, and does not call
>himself Jewish, then is he not being dishonest.
>
>I know of Messianics who keep kosher and keep the law.

Are we talking about the torah m'sinai or Rabbinic Judaism (to any Jews
out there - sorry to use this term!) ?

The Rabbis clearly deny that the Mashiach is Yeshuah ben Ploni.  And
Rabbinic Jews are the only people around today who are Jews (there are
no Karaites left).

>  You say that
>they are not Jewish, yet there are reformed Jews who do not keep any
>of the food ordinances, are these Jews?

Let's assume these people observe most of the law that is associated
with today's Judaism.  So what?  If the Messiah has come then there
should have been some changes made to those observances.  The Judaism
that says the Messiah has come is VERY different from the one that is
still waiting.

Now let's take the other side of your argument.  There are certainly
plenty of Jews out there who aren't observant or who have decided to
reinterpret scripture.  However, as far as philosophy goes they are
still identifiable as Jews.  In fact, they have decided that the
philosophy is the most important thing in Judaism.

This is in clear contrast to these so-called "Messianic Jews".  The
theology (theology and philosophy are inseparable in Judaism and come
under the same name - hashkafah) that Xianity teaches is in very
strong conflict with Judaism.  The two theologies are not compatible.

So, on one hand you have people who deny the everyday law, but elevate
hashkafah to a level that is beyond that seen in most Jews.

On the other, you have people who keep the acoutrements of Judaism,
but deny its very soul.

Who would you say is more Jewish?

I am not going to deny that some of these "Messianic Jews" are, indeed,
born of Jewish mothers.  However, what they are trying to push on us
is that Judaism and Xianity are somehow reconcilable.  This is a true
heresy and should be fought vehemently by both religions.

As far as why Judaism and Xianity aren't reconcilable, out of respect
for this forum I will direct interested parties to talk.religion.misc
where this discussion is currently underway in full flame :-)

James
mejicovs@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

A tad bit of a background -

I am currently converting to Judaism from a Fundamentalist Baptist upbringing.
and yes, it's out of conviction :-)
--
(I've got Joe Applegate and Messianic in my scj kill file...
  but I read t.r.misc, if you have something to say about what

credmond@watmath.waterloo.edu (Chris Redmond) (05/24/91)

In article <May.18.23.01.43.1991.14438@athos.rutgers.edu> wlinden@msb.com (Will Linden) writes:

>>Why shouldn't Christian Jews call themselves Jews?  Jesus was a Jew.
>>Was his disciple Peter a Jew?  Were his apostles Jewish?
>>I know of Messianics who keep kosher and keep the law.  You say that
>>they are not Jewish, yet there are reformed Jews who do not keep any
>>of the food ordinances, are these Jews?
> What he said.
> I can not understand the rationale for claiming that an atheist who sneers
>at Torah and halakah but made the right choice of mother is somehow MORE
>Jewish than Moshe Rosen.

You are using a Christian idea to make a decision about Judaism.

We accept that one is a Christian if (more or less) one believes in
the teachings of Christianity and practises its rituals.  To some
extent we also class people as Christians if they grew up in a
Christian environment and adhere to a Christian-dominated culture,
but that's much more questionable.

According to Judaism, on the other hand, belief and practice are
not the criteria of who is Jewish.  You are Jewish if you were
born Jewish (or converted to Judaism, though that's rare).  If you
are Jewish, Judaism says that you *should* engage in certain practices;
if you don't, that makes you bad, but still Jewish.

This difference in definition accounts for a great deal of
misunderstanding on both sides.

CAR

wlinden@cmcl2.nyu.edu (Will Linden) (05/26/91)

[Will seems to be confused about something I also found a bit odd.
The original comment was "I can not understand the rationale for
claiming that an atheist who sneers at Torah and halakah but made
the right choice of mother is somehow MORE Jewish than Moshe Rosen."
Chris Redmond then explains to us that we are inappropriately using
Christian concepts.  You are Jewish if you are born Jewish.  Of
course this would leave the "Messianic Jews" Jewish, and it's the
denial of this that started the whole discussion.  --clh]

 THEN WHAT IS THE WHOLE %$@!%!@% CONTROVERSY ABOUT? It seems to be saying
to "Messianic Jews"-- "You are Jewish because you were born Jews-- unless
you say you are."
--
Will Linden                                 MCI: WLINDEN
Internet: wlinden@panix.UUCP           "On to the castle, to kill the royal

mejicovs@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (05/27/91)

In article <May.26.03.19.12.1991.14716@athos.rutgers.edu> panix!wlinden@cmcl2.nyu.edu (Will Linden) writes:
>[Will seems to be confused about something I also found a bit odd.
>The original comment was "I can not understand the rationale for
>claiming that an atheist who sneers at Torah and halakah but made
>the right choice of mother is somehow MORE Jewish than Moshe Rosen."
>Chris Redmond then explains to us that we are inappropriately using
>Christian concepts.  You are Jewish if you are born Jewish.  Of
>course this would leave the "Messianic Jews" Jewish, and it's the
>denial of this that started the whole discussion.  --clh]
>
> THEN WHAT IS THE WHOLE %$@!%!@% CONTROVERSY ABOUT? It seems to be saying
>to "Messianic Jews"-- "You are Jewish because you were born Jews-- unless
>you say you are."

I and no one else are disputing that Joe Applegate and David Buxton are
halachically Jewish (provided that they are born of Jewish mothers).

What I am disputing is the fact that they teach that their faith is
reconcilable with Judaism.  They use this lie to trap Jews who are less
educated (ex. Soviet Jews) into believing that they can still be Jewish
even though they believe this other.  Converts to other religions and
those that wordship idols are banned from all of the activities that
make up Judaism.  They may still be Jewish in that they are breaking
Jewish law, but they are considered as criminals by that same law.

Xian theology and Jewish law are categorically in conflict with each
other.  That has been proven in *many* posts on this group and on
others.

James
mejicovs@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

mejicovs@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (05/30/91)

In article <May.26.23.25.39.1991.24779@athos.rutgers.edu> mejicovs@eniac.seas.upenn.edu writes:

>I and no one else are disputing that Joe Applegate and David Buxton are
>halachically Jewish (provided that they are born of Jewish mothers).
>
>What I am disputing is the fact that they teach that their faith is
>reconcilable with Judaism.  They use this lie to trap Jews who are less
>educated (ex. Soviet Jews) into believing that they can still be Jewish
							 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>even though they believe this other.  Converts to other religions and
>those that wordship idols are banned from all of the activities that
>make up Judaism.  They may still be Jewish in that they are breaking
>Jewish law, but they are considered as criminals by that same law.
>
>Xian theology and Jewish law are categorically in conflict with each
>other.  That has been proven in *many* posts on this group and on
>others.

Because of the underlined phrase, I have recieved a complaint that
I have made the same mistake that has been made all along.

I find that claim to be valid and wish to clarify my position on
this matter.

I do *not* believe that someone who is born of a Jewish mother (and
therefore Jewish by all standards) who converts to any religion, be
it Xianity or Islam or atheism, at any time ceases to be Jewish.

This is clearly stated by all the major Jewish Sages.  Someone has
pointed out to me that there is a minority opinion that says one
who converts out of Judaism loses their Jewishness.  This must be a
very small minority, and doesn't significantly affect my response.

However, what I (and others) are saying is that these people have
turned their backs on Judaism.  Judaism has enough different sects
that fall under it to make it patently clear that one who does not
belong (even marginally) to one of them is not Jewish in terms of
their theology.  For them to teach that their beliefs are reconcilable
with Jewish beliefs is a distinct lie.

Furthermore, one who converts out of Judaism is forbidden to participate
Jewishly in the community.  To be able to participate again they must
make a formal declaration of recommittment to Judaism.  In Orthodoxy
they must be purified by `baptism' in a mikveh (call it a bath - it's
close enough for the purpose :-).  This may be true of other sects of
Judaism - however I don't know their practices completely.

I hope this clarifies my position, which is, bli neder (w/o a vow),
the Orthodox position.