[soc.religion.christian] Circumcision =/ Salvation

gt6321c@prism.gatech.edu (gt6321c CRIMM,LANCE CARY) (05/26/91)

  Just to clear up some thoughts on the practice of Circumcision, consider
  the truth.  Circumcision does and did not ( in OT) provide salvation
  by any means. Only the personal acknowledgement and request for Jesus to
  enter your heart, soul and every part of your life, realizing that it was
  Christ who died for our sins given so graciously and mercifully by the
  Father.  Circumcision is as our baptism. It is a sign, symbol and covenant
  that the parents and members of the Body of Christ will nurture and admonish
  the child during his growing experience, whether it be a physically young
  child (baby,infant) or a spiritually young child. There is nothing magical
  or mystical about the elements (water or circumcision) but it is a sign that
  the child has a covenant with God, whereupon coming of age either physically
  or spiritually the child may make the decision to accept Christ in his or
  her life and God's grace, salvation, mercy, and mostly LOVE will then abide
  in him or her forever, even though he or she may stumble with sin during
  this earthly life path.
--
CRIMM,LANCE CARY
uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt6321c

math1h3@JANE.UH.EDU (David H. Wagner) (06/02/91)

In article <May.26.03.15.15.1991.14697@athos.rutgers.edu>, gt6321c@prism.gatech.edu (gt6321c CRIMM,LANCE CARY) writes:

>  Just to clear up some thoughts on the practice of Circumcision, consider
>  the truth.  Circumcision does and did not ( in OT) provide salvation
>  by any means. Only the personal acknowledgement and request for Jesus to
>  enter your heart, soul and every part of your life, realizing that it was
>  Christ who died for our sins given so graciously and mercifully by the
>  Father.

I presume this last sentence should have been completed with "will provide
salvation".  I think I can understand why someone would describe conversion
to Christian faith this way, but that is not how the Bible describes it,
and I couldn't describe it that way myself.  Christian faith is described
as a gift of God (Ephesians 2:8,9), which comes through the message of
the Gospel (Romans 10:17).  In terms of human reason, the person who
asks Jesus to enter their heart, *already* has saving faith!

>  Circumcision is as our baptism.

I agree, on the basis of Col 2:11,12.

> It is a sign, symbol and covenant
>  that the parents and members of the Body of Christ will nurture and admonish
>  the child during his growing experience, whether it be a physically young
>  child (baby,infant) or a spiritually young child.

I want to point out that this is human reason speaking here.  I know of no
Scripture that describes baptism this way. But Peter wrote, "and this water
symbolizes baptism that now saves you also--not the removal of dirt from the
body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God.  It saves you by the
resurrection of Jesus Christ,..."  1 Peter 3:21.

> There is nothing magical
>  or mystical about the elements (water or circumcision) but it is a sign that
>  the child has a covenant with God, whereupon coming of age either physically
>  or spiritually the child may make the decision to accept Christ in his or
>  her life and God's grace, salvation, mercy, and mostly LOVE will then abide
>  in him or her forever, even though he or she may stumble with sin during
>  this earthly life path.

I agree that there is nothing magical about the water of baptism.  But
baptism is connected with the Word of God, and that is powerful.  "I am not
ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of
everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile."  Romans 1:16
Baptism has Christ's command and promise:  "Therefore go and make disciples
of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and
of the Holy Spirit, ...",  "Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved,..."

Neither is baptism a magic trick that the church does to save people.  But
it is a sacrament that God uses to work faith in people's hearts.  Note that
in Colossians 2:11,12, Paul wrote that in baptism we have received a
'circumcision done by Christ'.  Baptism (and conversion) are truly
God's work and not ours.

David H. Wagner
a confessional Lutheran

My opinions and beliefs on this matter are disclaimed by
The University of Houston.