[soc.religion.christian] When SYSOPs Thunder

lcrew@andromeda.rutgers.edu (Louie Crew) (05/30/91)

SYSOP Chuck Hedrick charges that surely I know that most Christians believe that
homosexuality it sinful.....

In simple majorities, yes, but I am not accustomed to allowing majorities to
shape my discourse, nor would anyone else be wise to do so, since most human
beings fall into a variety of minority groups.

Besides, many Christians disagree with the current majority view about
homosexuality, and not just  the 10 percent of those of us who happen to be
gay or lesbian; and dissenters far more clearly define that part of the
Church in which I serve than do those whom you cite, Chuck.  Nearly 48
percent of the Episcopal House of Bishops, including the Presiding Bishop,
when under great pressure to do so, refused to disassociate themselves from
the actions of my bishop The Rt. Rev. John S. Spong when he ordained an
openly gay person.  The majority of the Christians in my diocese have voted
overwhelmingly to support with money and time and personnel the Oasis, a
lesgay ministry in the diocese. The members of my parish recently voted to
become sustaining members (with a $500 pledge) to this ministry). An
important Presbyterian commisssion recently released a daring report on this
matter.  The Hunt Commission of the Episcopal Church has released a similar
report towards our own General Convention in July...., and Bishop Hunt has
just published a foreword in my new book on this matter.

Yes, if you want to count majorities, you still have the numbers for that
ancient taboo, but I not under any
obligation to let them define the terms of discourse when I speak.

>While you may attempt to enlighten them on this subject, you should not be
>surprised if their love for they refer to homosexual activity as sinful is
>perhaps more along the lines of programs for drug addicts...

Chuck, do you really expect me to believe any claim to love me that is thus
grounded?   I am quite willing to believe that people who hold such views
_believe_ they love me; but Jesus did not use the Levites', the priest's, or
the Samaritan's point of view to determine who treated the person in the
ditch in a neighborly way:  he used the point of view of the person in the
ditch.  In case you have not noticed, most people when hit over the head
with the bible do not take that as a friend act, and those who still
manage to respect the bible do not see that as the proper use of it.

>I do not
>see that it would make sense to consider them on that account to be
>cultists.  Can we not simply say that someone is wrong without
>bringing in emotionally loaded (and ill-defined) terms like cultist?

I have carefully defined cult as I am using it, and indeed it is an
emotionally loaded term.   I believe that heterosexist interpretations of
the gospels are cultish, and when people have had some time to think
about this novel statement, most will see that it is rather obvious:  the
good news is not just for those with heteroplumbing, nor is it conditional
upon heteroplumbing.  Heterosexuals, like the Jews of old, will find how
much more of good news there is when they lose their false claims to an
exclusive patent to it.

It is wrong for people to
indulge in the massive amounts of judgment of lesgay people manifested here
again and again without making any effort to know lesgay people as friends
and neighbors.  I would never think to read the bible to find out about black
people or any other group to which I do not belong, especially when those
people claimed already to experience the Gospel in their own lives.  I would
first listen to them tell how their own spiritual journeys, and I would test
those claims by the gospel demands.  Few indeed are those who listen or move
among us in a neighorly way.  You ought to see the private male I get
following my postings here.  A major rhetorician has me send it to him for a
project that he is doing on hate rhetoric.

>I flatly refuse to believe that someone with the
>intellectual capacity to be a Rutgers faculty member, and who has been
>active in gay affairs for years, does not at least understand the
>arguments of those who disagree.

Rather than concern yourself with my IQ, you will get at my meaning much more
quickly if you look at my rhetoric:  of course I noticed the sexual possibility that I dropped out of the range of explanations I reviewed.  I am quite aware
that sexuality is the major, sometimes the only, dimension of my experience by
which they define me; but I do not start with that premise, nor do most
lesgay Christians whom I know.   They may have their view, but they cannot
control how I enter this conversation.

I do not accept heterosexuals' narrow definitions about what constitutes
"homosexual activity."  I am manifesting homosexual activity when I write
books, when I visit prisons, when I care for the sick, when I teach English
syntax....   If you want to restrict homosexual activity to narrow genital
expressions, you will simply not understand me of my people.

    Louie Crew . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . lcrew@andromeda.rutgers.edu
    Associate Professor . . . . . . . . . . . . . .lcrew@draco.rutgers.edu
    Academic Foundations Department . . . . . . . CompuServe No. 73517,147
    Rutgers:  The State University of New Jersey. . . . . . 201-485-4503 h
    P. O. Box 30 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  201-648-5434 o
    Newark, NJ 07101 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  201-648-5700 FAX

                    Only a dead fish floats with the current.

[My comments were not intended to suggest that the great number of
people against you means you are wrong.  Just that I would expect
people to write with some understanding of the view of their
audience.  Jennifer Irani said

>	On campus,  we have sought to love those who are not always
>accepted--and that includes homosexuals.  However, I do not have to
>accept the sin to love the person.

You claimed not to have any idea what sin she was talking about.  This
is simply silly, as is your misunderstanding of my term "homosexual
activity" to include all activities of homosexuals.  This group has
enough problems of understanding without this kind of thing.

--clh]

math1h3@JANE.UH.EDU (David H. Wagner) (06/03/91)

In article <May.30.00.32.07.1991.19270@athos.rutgers.edu>, lcrew@andromeda.rutgers.edu (Louie Crew) writes:

>Besides, many Christians disagree with the current majority view about
>homosexuality, and not just  the 10 percent of those of us who happen to be
>gay or lesbian; and dissenters far more clearly define that part of the
>Church in which I serve than do those whom you cite, Chuck....

"From the least to the greatest,
   all are greedy for gain;
prophets and priests alike,
   all practice deceit.
They dress the wound of my people
   as though it were not serious.
'Peace, peace,' they say,
   when there is no peace.
Are they not ashamed of their loathesome conduct?
   No, they have no shame at all;
   they do not even know how to blush.
So they will fall among the fallen;
   they will be brought down when they are punished,
      says the LORD.
Since my people are crushed, I am crushed;
  I mourn, and horror grips me.
Is there no balm in Gilead?
  Is there no physician there?
Why then is there no healing
  for the wound of my people?"

These words of Jeremiah express some of the pain I feel, when a formerly
living and vital church shows it lacks the spiritual strength to expel
false teachers who want to dress people's spiritual wounds with false
comfort.

David H. Wagner
a confessional Lutheran		"The Church's one foundation
				Is Jesus Christ, her Lord;
				She is His new creation
				By water and the Word.
				From heav'n he came and sought her
				To be His Holy bride;
				With His own blood they bought her,
				And for her life He died.

				"Though with a scornful wonder
				Men see her sore oppressed,
				By schisms rent asunder,
				By heresies distressed,
				Yet saints their watch are keeping;
				Their cry goes up, 'How long?'
				And soon the night of weeping
				Shall be the morn of song."
				--"The Church's One Foundation" v. 1,4
				--Samuel J. Stone, 1866.

My opinions and beliefs on this matter are disclaimed by
The University of Houston.

[Having permitted Louie's remarks, I can hardly refuse this, but I
have to say that I didn't have in mind replacing discussions on the
Biblical/theological justification or lack thereof for homosexuality
with trading condemnations.  --clh]

lcrew@andromeda.rutgers.edu (Louie Crew) (06/03/91)

SYSOP Chuck Hedrick writes:
[My comments were not intended to suggest that the great number of
>people against you means you are wrong.  Just that I would expect
>people to write with some understanding of the view of their
>audience.  Jennifer Irani said

>>	On campus,  we have sought to love those who are not always
>>accepted--and that includes homosexuals.  However, I do not have to
>>accept the sin to love the person.

>You claimed not to have any idea what sin she was talking about.

Of course I knew which stone Jenifer had picked up to aim at me, but rather
than finish the job for her, I ducked, and called attention to the
other issues that should certainly be considered about sexual sin, hetero or
lesgay, before soc.religion.christian continues with this regular ritual
of singling out gay people as a class for public abuse.

No one knows what Jesus wrote on this when he moved his stick through the
sand on a similar occasion, but what he said to the crowd was hardly
"Hit em a lick, hit em a lick, harder, harder!" -- as you cheer Jennifer
on to do.

>This is simply silly,

Cf.  "Jesus!  Don't be silly!  This woman has
committed grave offenses against Moses' Law handed down by Yaweh, and
The Bible tells us to stone her.  How dare you to re-write that Law by
doodling in the sand and asking us instead to look at our own lives!
We are not on trial here!  She is!  Go to it, boys.  Here's a nice
boulder that even I can handle! "

>This is simply silly as is your misunderstanding of my term "homosexual
>activity" to include all activities of homosexuals.  This group has
>enough problems of understanding without this kind of thing.

Your lose me.  While I cannot sort out your point, I can state mine:
I hold sexual orientation to be integral to personhood, not incidental.  Most
of the psychological literature  now concurs, as has the official listing of
disorders in the manuals of APA since 1974.  I was on the Board of the
National Lesbian and Gay Task Force at that time, and know how hard it
was for professional psychologists to stop making money out of what many now
consider malpractice, namely the claim to make heterosexuals out of
lesbian and gay people.

Biblical writers wrote long before we even had such categories.
Most do not hesitate to disagree with cosmology of Biblical writers, who
believed the world to be flat and at the center of the universe.
Nor are we bound to ground our psychological vocabulary into what
we can read back into the six or seven specific biblical references to
same-sex couplings.

To the limited extent that heterosexuals think about it, many seem to
view all people as if they are given at the outset only
heterosexual proclivities.   According to this view, a person becomes something
other than heterosexual only when she or he makes an incorrect
choice.  For many heterosexuals, lesgay persons do not fundamentally exist:
instead, we are simply heterosexuals gone bad; and they think we "go bad" only
when we connect genitally. That's what you seem to be saying, though I admit
I am lost in your vocabulary.

It's predictable that at first we seem to see the world in our own image,
but this theory simply does not account for the dynamics of pyschosexuality as
most lesgays experience it and as most professional psychologists analyze
it.  Professionals constantly argue whether sexual orientation is
inherited or learned, but few professionals argue about how entrenched it is:
most note that sexual orientation is set  very early and remains largely
unchangeable, especially in its involuntary arousal patterns.

Most religions hold people accountable for choices, not for what they receive.
Current psychosexual understandings show that lesgay persons have far fewer
choices than most knew when they shaped current notions of right and
wrong sexual behavior.   Most lesgay people simply do not have a choice of
being heterosexual.  They can run some grave risks for themselves and for
their friends if they try to monkey around with the psychosexual plumbing,
especially in its involuntary manifestations.   For example, males  do not
choose to have a wet dream or an erection:  most heterosexuals experience
these only or predominately from heterosexual stimuli:  most gays, from
gay stimuli.  Psychological games of behavior modification in these
involuntary areas have now been renounced by the professionals who first
introduced them, as quackery.

Obviously no one can or should act on all stimuli.  Most communities
prefer to establish relationships in which sexual congress builds
responsible community.   That's why Saint Paul recommended marriage,
as better than "to burn" with sexual desire.  The few religions that
have venerated celibacy (for example, Roman Catholicism) have never
talked about it as a punishment, but as a spiritual gift, one given
to only a very few people.

No easy answers for moral decisions flow from my comments, but it hardly helps
for you to ridicule my efforts to place lesgay sexuality into the more
complex registers in which we experience it, rather than to serve your glib
reduction of it to basic genital manifestations.

This issue will surface this summer when the Episcopal Church
debates sexuality.   One bishop has put forward the resolution that
we state again that all sexuality is limited to marriage.  While that
is a convenient and probably popular notion, it hardly addresses the
complexity it purposes to resolve.  What is "sexuality," for example?
Will lesbian priests be encouraged to live with their female companions
in the rectory so long as they forego genital contact?  Will they be
allowed to kiss, hold hands as a stated couple.......?   At what moment
in the complex interplay of persons does "sexuality" occur?  At the
moment of desire?  At the moment one calls for a date?  At the moment one
"drinks with ones eyes"?  At the moment one holds hand?   At the moment of
erection or lubrication?  At the moment of petting?  At the moment of
penetration?  At the moment of ejaculation?  At the moment.....

My own position does not force me to commit to "a moment" but to a
dynamic, one in which the persons involved are responsible to work at
every stage towards the full respect of God and of God's image in
the partner, integrating sexuality with all other aspects of their
relationship.   That's not easy, certainly not as easy as having a
magic moment towards which one may tease and then stop just in the nick
of time for a god who stands with a stop watch or holds a tape at a
finish line.

I suspect the real intent of the Bishop's resolution is:  "Shut up.  Go back
to the less complicated way it was when we thought we knew all the
answers and when we put you to death if we found out who you are.  At
least have the decency to find a nice member of the opposite sex, and
experiment on him/her.  Like Lot, of old, I freely offer for you my
own child!"

    Louie Crew . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . lcrew@andromeda.rutgers.edu

[Before responding to this, note that I regard this line of discussion
as having ended.  I'm accepting no postings beyond those in today's
group.   --clh]