[soc.religion.christian] Abortion.

hudson@athena.cs.uga.edu (Paul Hudson Jr) (05/26/91)

Someone quoted a version of the Bible that said that if a man hit a
woman in the stomach, and the baby was miscarried, but the woman was
not injured, then a fine would be paid.  But if they woman was
injured, then eye for eye and tooth for tooth was to be extracted.

In the NIV it says that if the baby is born prematurely, but there is
no injury, then a fine is to be paid, but if the baby is injured then
eye for eye and tooth for tooth is to be extracted.  There may be some
ambiguity in the Hebrew passage.  Can anyone help clear this up?  Link
Hudson.

[NIV doesn't really say "if the baby is injured".  It simply has
premature birth instead of miscarriage (with miscarriage as an
alternative in a footnote).  It's not clear to me who the injury is to
in this case.  I can't comment on the Heb, but	 I have looked it up
in a number of translations and a commentary, and the NIV is alone on
this one.  --clh]

cctr114@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (06/02/91)

In article <May.26.03.12.55.1991.14622@athos.rutgers.edu>, hudson@athena.cs.uga.edu (Paul Hudson Jr) writes:
>Someone quoted a version of the Bible that said that if a man hit a
>woman in the stomach, and the baby was miscarried, but the woman was
>not injured, then a fine would be paid.  But if they woman was
>injured, then eye for eye and tooth for tooth was to be extracted.
>
>In the NIV it says that if the baby is born prematurely, but there is
>no injury, then a fine is to be paid, but if the baby is injured then
>eye for eye and tooth for tooth is to be extracted.  There may be some
>ambiguity in the Hebrew passage.  Can anyone help clear this up?  Link
>Hudson.

The Hebrew Scriptures contain very little on pregnancy, birth, care of
small infants and the various problems that might be faced by the
mother. Thus any words related to this time of life must remain, at
least in part, ambiguous in their meaning because they occur so rarely
in the Hebrew Scriptures. Another factor which you must consider is what
I call the translating principles of the version you are using. Some
versions have aimed at a very simple vocabulary, others have a particular
theological viewpoint it wishes to push. I do not have an NIV
myself but I understand that it was intended to be accessible to young
readers. The translators may have felt that a phrase like ``baby born
prematurely'' was more understandable to more people than a word like
``miscarriage''. To someone who has no knowledge of Hebrew the sometimes
contraditory translations which various versions give can be very confusing
to say the least.

Anyway to the passage at hand.  In this case the text does not use either
a single word or a technical word to describe the miscarriage. So it is
possible that there was no single word for miscarriage. A very literal
rendering of the two words  would be ``and-they-came-forth  her-babies''.
We must be on guard against trying to impose our understanding back onto
the people of Biblical times. We know about eggs and sperm, ovum, zygotes,
feotuses, trimesters of pregnancy, and so on. The understanding portrayed in
the Bible is on the level of ``Adam knew his wife Eve and conceived and bore
a son''. To us whether we call something a miscarriage or a premature birth
would depend on whether the child lived after birth or had not yet reached the
age of viability. To them it would seem that there was no such distinction.

So how best to translate these words.  Because the clear intention of the
text is unintended termination of pregnancy through accident, I would
agree with the majority of the translators and say that the best modern
equivalent is miscarriage. One could use some variant of abort, but the
word is so emotionally loaded today that it would be unwise to do so.
Premature birth implies a viable child which does not cover the full
meaning of the situation.

You have titled your article ``abortion'' and I suspect you have heard the
argument that because the penalty was less than for either murder or
manslaughter that an unborn child is regarded as less than human. I
would point out that often in Biblical law, as in modern law, the
intentions of the guilty party are considered when passing a sentence.
Here it is clear that the two men were fighting, which they should not
have been, and a third party is injured as a result of their actions.
Clearly the mother is regarded as more important than the miscarried
baby but it is quite a leap to go from there as say that the baby was
less than human. Those who say that the baby was less than human are
reading their own value judgements on the humaness of the baby back into
the text.

--
                                                                     ___
Bill Rea                                                            (o o)

[Thanks for the details.  I'd like not to continue the discussion on
abortion.  That should be done on talk.abortion.  As far as I know,
the NIV is not a "controlled vocabulary" translation.  My suspicion is
that they avoided miscarriage because they felt it had degree of
apparent precision unjustified by the original.  The NIV, although not
perfect, tends to be fairly free from doctrinal biases.  (I speak as
one whose doctrinal biases would be in opposition to the NIV
translators'.)  --clh]

hudson@athena.cs.uga.edu (Paul Hudson Jr) (06/04/91)

Whose injury or death is being refered to in this passage.  In the NIV,
the reader gets the impression that if the child is born dead, the man
is put to death.  In another version, if the woman is killed, the man is
put to death.