[soc.religion.christian] Special Days

kilroy@gboro.glassboro.edu (Dr Nancy's Sweetie) (05/27/91)

In Yet Another Sabbath Article, Dave Buxton proposes a situation where one's
anniversary is 15 June, and one's wife returns from certain death on 16 June.

Mr Buxton asks:
> Now for my question - would you two henceforth celebrate your
> anniversary on June 16?  That is the day on which she was returned to
> you alive again.

I would probably celebrate both events on a single day, using whichever day
was most convenient.  I am an iconoclast -- I regard no day as "better" or
"more important" than another.  (Romans 14 compares you and me quite well; I
think Paul covered the matter quite nicely.  Why do you debate what Paul
considered unimportant?)

You ask:
>What does it say about the Christian who refuses to celebrate the day
>of which Jesus is Lord and Creator?

...this makes no sense to me, because I believe that Jesus created all the
other days too; if Jesus is Lord of one's life, then he is Lord of every day.

I have three brothers; when we all lived with my parents, we were involved in
after-school activities, had jobs, went on dates, and did many other things.
When a birthday came up on a weekday, it was celebrated on the nearest Sunday
(either before or after the actual birthday).  None of us thought twice about
it; Sunday was when everybody was together, and so that was most convenient.

> What does it say about a husbands love if he refuses to celebrate his
>wife's birthdays and their anniversaries?

What does it say about a mother who celebrates her own children's birthdays on
whichever day is most convenient?  Are you going to tell me that my mother
never really loved me?

Last year, Nancy and I went to visit her mother on the weekend after her
mother's birthday.  We took a hand-made present, and made a cake (it was
chocolate with little candy dinosaurs all over it).  BUT, we celebrated the
birthday three days after the "right day".  Now, are you going to post
articles that insinuate Nancy doesn't really love her mother?

Mr Buxton, I am insulted by your constant insinuations that those who disagree
with you about Sabbath observance don't really love God.  You draw a parallel
with loved one's birthdays -- would you make insulting statements about people
who celebrate those birthdays when it is convenient?  It is *your* analogy;
will you accept its implications?

You keep saying that you aren't judging people -- but I always come away from
your articles feeling judged.

kilroy@gboro.glassboro.edu      Darren F. Provine      ...njin!gboro!kilroy
"Who are you to judge someone else's servant?" -- Paul

davidbu@loowit.wr.tek.com (David E. Buxton) (06/02/91)

In article <May.26.23.15.38.1991.24642@athos.rutgers.edu>, kilroy@gboro.glassboro.edu (Dr Nancy's Sweetie) writes:

> . . . . . .
>
> Mr Buxton, I am insulted by your constant insinuations that those who disagree
> with you about Sabbath observance don't really love God.  You draw a parallel
> with loved one's birthdays -- would you make insulting statements about people
> who celebrate those birthdays when it is convenient?  It is *your* analogy;
> will you accept its implications?
>
> You keep saying that you aren't judging people -- but I always come away from
> your articles feeling judged.

Hi Darren,

A few weeks ago someone posted their reasons why they considered that
SDAs are wrong in their keeping of the Sabbath.  That started of the
various Sabbath postings from both points of view.  My intent was to
try and do my best to present how I feel about the Sabbath.  I see
through your eyes how I came across as being judgemental of your views.
If that is how I came across to you that way, then I probably came across
to a few others that way.

I wish to appologize to you and the rest of you.

I shall try to make a greater effort to word things so that they present
my personal views as such while trying to avoid projecting them as against
or anti of somebody elses views.

There are also times when I should have let someones opposing view
simply get stated and let it go as such, without a posted rebutal - to
simply let it go unchallenged, especially if it risks offending somebody.

Friend,

Dave

allenroy@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (callen roy) (06/05/91)

kilroy@gboro.glassboro.edu (Dr Nancy's Sweetie) writes:

>In Yet Another Sabbath Article, Dave Buxton proposes a situation where one's
>anniversary is 15 June, and one's wife returns from certain death on 16 June.

>Mr Buxton asks:
>> Now for my question - would you two henceforth celebrate your
>> anniversary on June 16?  That is the day on which she was returned to
>> you alive again.

>I would probably celebrate both events on a single day, using whichever day
>was most convenient.  I am an iconoclast -- I regard no day as "better" or
>"more important" than another.  (Romans 14 compares you and me quite well; I
>think Paul covered the matter quite nicely.  Why do you debate what Paul
>considered unimportant?)

While I can't speak for Dave, I am sure that he would agree that Romans
14:5,6 does not mean that I cannot set aside one (or more) days as something
special.  I am fully convinced in my mind that the Sabbath (that is, Saturday
the 'Seventh Day') is a sign of my belief in God the Creator.  Many Christians
follow the tradition of Sunday observance to celebrate the resurection of
Jesus.  That's fine with me, so long as Sunday obsrevance is not confused with
nor equated with the Sabbath.  The Sabbath was set up by God, Sunday observance
is based on traditions and good intentions, but has no Biblical basis.

>> What does it say about a husbands love if he refuses to celebrate his
>>wife's birthdays and their anniversaries?

>I have three brothers; when we all lived with my parents, we were involved in
>after-school activities, had jobs, went on dates, and did many other things.
>When a birthday came up on a weekday, it was celebrated on the nearest Sunday
>(either before or after the actual birthday).  None of us thought twice about
>it; Sunday was when everybody was together, and so that was most convenient.

>What does it say about a mother who celebrates her own children's birthdays on
>whichever day is most convenient?  Are you going to tell me that my mother
>never really loved me?

>Last year, Nancy and I went to visit her mother on the weekend after her
>mother's birthday.  We took a hand-made present, and made a cake (it was
>chocolate with little candy dinosaurs all over it).  BUT, we celebrated the
>birthday three days after the "right day".  Now, are you going to post
>articles that insinuate Nancy doesn't really love her mother?

>Mr Buxton, I am insulted by your constant insinuations that those who disagree
>with you about Sabbath observance don't really love God.  You draw a parallel
>with loved one's birthdays -- would you make insulting statements about people
>who celebrate those birthdays when it is convenient?  It is *your* analogy;
>will you accept its implications?

It is unfortunate that Dave included birthdays in his analogy, because it
clouded the issue.  However, your comment on whether it is convenient is very
important.  Haveing a love relationship with anyone is not something you do
whenever it is just convenient.  Relationships are the center of existance.
Love is the essance of life.  Everything else in life is organized, as it is
convenient, around one's significant others--God, spouse, children, family
and friends.

>You keep saying that you aren't judging people -- but I always come away from
>your articles feeling judged.

If you are feeling judged, then it is only yourself that is doing the judging.
Neither, Dave nor I know you personally.  We only present what we have learned.
The Bible says that it is the Holy Spirit that convicts the soul.  Not me,
Not Dave.

Allen Roy
God loves you, all He wants is for you to love Him back.