[soc.religion.christian] Acceptance

hawk@well.sf.ca.us (David Hawkins) (06/03/91)

I rarely post to this group, but do follow some of the discussions.
However my eyes normally glaze over fairly quickly because of what I
perceive as legalism.  Guess that's somewhat judgmental on my part,
eh?

But my question is: where does acceptance come into play in what you
consider Christianity?  It seems like a lot of the rage against
Christianity in telecom comes from people who have been deeply hurt by
the judgment and criticism of Christians.

While Jesus did judge and criticize people it was often (1) after he had
associated with them and showed his love, or (2) was criticizing their
legalism (like that of the Pharisees).

A lot of discussion goes on about how Christians are supposed to act
after they're in the Church, but what about those who never join the
Church because of the judgments they get while still unbelievers?

later, david
--
David Hawkins  {apple,pacbell,hplabs,ucbvax}!well!dhawk
We're supposed to be 'wise as serpents, harmless as doves' - why

math1h3@JANE.UH.EDU (David H. Wagner) (06/04/91)

In article <Jun.3.02.03.42.1991.3102@athos.rutgers.edu>, well!hawk@well.sf.ca.us (David Hawkins) writes:
>I rarely post to this group, but do follow some of the discussions.
>However my eyes normally glaze over fairly quickly because of what I
>perceive as legalism.  Guess that's somewhat judgmental on my part,
>eh?
>
>But my question is: where does acceptance come into play in what you
>consider Christianity?  It seems like a lot of the rage against
>Christianity in telecom comes from people who have been deeply hurt by
>the judgment and criticism of Christians.

That's a good question.  There is a real problem, that many people perceive
Christianity in terms of moral rules rather than grace.  When our discussion
focusses too much on the Law, (as I have done occasionally) people will get
this impression.  But neither can we neglect the Law, for by the Law we know
our need for a Savior.  When we deny the Law we deny our need for a Savior.

>While Jesus did judge and criticize people it was often (1) after he had
>associated with them and showed his love, or (2) was criticizing their
>legalism (like that of the Pharisees).

I don't find Jesus accepting anyone's sin.  But he did teach them
evangelically, with a real interest in their souls.  Note that almost all of
his preaching is (Sermon on the Mount, etc.)

>A lot of discussion goes on about how Christians are supposed to act
>after they're in the Church, but what about those who never join the
>Church because of the judgments they get while still unbelievers?

I'm sorry if my postings have seemed legalistic.  The problem, of course, is
that the topic (homosexuality) is one of Law.  But there is a different kind
of legalism that we have to be aware of.  That is when we reason "At what
point do I break the Law?"  Jesus' answer is (Matthew 5:21,22, 27,28)
"You are ALWAYS breaking the law!"   The minute we think we are
keeping the Law, we are being legalistic.  But the Son of God died so that
we should receive forgiveness.

David H. Wagner
a confessional Lutheran

My opinions and beliefs on this matter are disclaimed by
The University of Houston.

math1h3@JANE.UH.EDU (David H. Wagner) (06/05/91)

I wrote:

>I don't find Jesus accepting anyone's sin.  But he did teach them
>evangelically, with a real interest in their souls.  Note that almost all of
>his preaching is (Sermon on the Mount, etc.)

It seems I left a sentence unfinished.  I meant to say, 'almost all of his
preaching is Law'.