[soc.religion.christian] Religiousity & Marriage

fasano@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Cathy Fasano) (06/05/91)

In article <Jun.4.00.00.27.1991.11633@athos.rutgers.edu> jclark@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (John Clark) writes:
>In article <Jun.3.01.57.35.1991.2882@athos.rutgers.edu> chappell@symcom.math.uiuc.edu (Glenn Chappell) writes:
>+... It is interesting to note, however, that divorce
>+is apparently nearly unknown among Christians who read the Bible daily.
>
>Excuse me for not giving more information on my experience...

[John then goes on to relate conflicting experience in his family.]

My boss, who in a previous academic life was a demographer, tells
stories about a rather colorful member of his thesis committee.  This
guy liked to play the curmudgeonly old professor, and whenever a student
would protest "most of the people I know" don't fit whatever piece of
socialogical data being presented, the professor would respond dryly:
"The 'sample' made up of 'people you know' is the very worst 'sample'
that you can construct."

The statistics which I've seen suggest that the following groups have
lower divorce rate than average:
couples who attend church regularly
couples who pray regularly
couples who pray together
couples who were engaged longer than six months
These statistics are often presented as the rationale for some rather
stringent marriage preparation regulations that are nearly universal
in the Catholic Church in the US.  (Last I heard, all but one diocese
in the US has a mandatory waiting period of at least 3 months, and most
also require a formal "marriage preparation" program like Pre-Cana or
Engaged Encounter.  Of course the folks justifying the rules always
conveniently leave out the statistics which say that marriage prepara-
tion programs have no effect on the divorce rate.)

Of course, this may not have much to do with religion at all -- almost
all (>90%) Americans say that they believe in God, and almost all of
them claim to be members of churches, but only about half have been
inside a church lately.  So, very roughly, the groupings look like this:
50% -- "committed" members of some religion
40% -- people who claim to be religious when asked, otherwise you can't tell
10% -- people who claim no religion
I would say that the statistics about divorce are distinguishing between
committed and non-committed members of religions, and don't really tell
us *anything* about the other 10% -- they are so small a group that they
get lost in the noise of the calculation.  And the correlation is not
so surprising -- some of the difference between committed and non-committed
religionists is simply the ability to make committments -- a characteristic
very important to the success of any relationship...

cathy :-)
--
Cathy Fasano
  aka:  Cathy Johnston, fasano@unix.cis.pitt.edu