[soc.religion.christian] Origin of Satan's Temptaion

jeffd@fox.nstn.ns.ca (Matthew Hilchie) (06/02/91)

 In the begining, who was the original tempter of the evil one?  Something
must have tempted him in the beginning to lead him away from God.  What
made Satan want more power?

Matthew Hilchie  (HELP!)

smith@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (James Roy Smith jr) (06/05/91)

In article <Jun.2.02.14.02.1991.16763@athos.rutgers.edu> jeffd@fox.nstn.ns.ca (Matthew Hilchie) writes:

> In the begining, who was the original tempter of the evil one?  Something
>must have tempted him in the beginning to lead him away from God.  What
>made Satan want more power?
>

>Matthew Hilchie  (HELP!)
The something that tempted him was obtaining more power.
	If someone stands in a supermarket all alone and sees a candy bar
	that he wants to steal, what is tempting him?  I would say that
	just the opportunity is tempting -- there need not be someone that
	is tempting him.
I would say that the same was true for Satan.  He was in a tempting
situation and chose to rebel.

Jim Smith
Northwestern University
smith@casbah.acns.nwu.edu

allenroy@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (callen roy) (06/06/91)

smith@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (James Roy Smith jr) writes:

>In article <Jun.2.02.14.02.1991.16763@athos.rutgers.edu> jeffd@fox.nstn.ns.ca (Matthew Hilchie) writes:
>>
>> In the begining, who was the original tempter of the evil one?  Something
>>must have tempted him in the beginning to lead him away from God.  What
>>made Satan want more power?
>>

>>Matthew Hilchie  (HELP!)
>The something that tempted him was obtaining more power.
>	If someone stands in a supermarket all alone and sees a candy bar
>	that he wants to steal, what is tempting him?  I would say that
>	just the opportunity is tempting -- there need not be someone that
>	is tempting him.
>I would say that the same was true for Satan.  He was in a tempting
>situation and chose to rebel.

>Jim Smith

In Ezekiel 28:12-19 is a lament that is ostensibly for the 'king of Tyre'.
A cursory reading shows that it is really addressed to the 'power' behind
the thron.  The thrust of the verses is that the Adversary originally had
a perfect love relationship with God, but for pride of his own 'beauty' and
'splendor' he 'sinned and became evil'.  Another reference that is often
compared to this is Isaiah 14:12-17.  In a taunt against the 'king of
Babylon', the Son of the Morning (Lucifer) is credited with wanting to be
like the Most High, to become God.  Which came first, covetings God's position
and power or pride in 'himself', is probably a little like asking whcih came
first the chicken or the egg.  It is a contradiction, to have a love
relationship with someone that you want to take the place of, to remove from
power for your own aggrandizement.  By removing himself from a loving
relationship with God, he sinned, by definition.  His rejection of love from
God was the beginning of sin and evil in the Universe.

Actually, a question more basic than the origin of Satan and sin, is How
could a God of Love allow the posibility of sin and evil to happen at all?
Ponder that for a while.  See what the Bible has to say.

Allen Roy
God loves you.  All He wants is you to love Him back.