[soc.religion.christian] Sabbath change and History

James.Quilty@comp.vuw.ac.nz (James William Quilty) (05/30/91)

In article <May.26.02.25.18.1991.14009@athos.rutgers.edu>,
davidbu@loowit.wr.tek.com (David E. Buxton) writes:
>  History bears out that the conversion to Sunday came
> later during a time when many new innovations came into the church -
> many of these rejected by the Protestant Reformation.

Here are some historical facts BEFORE the papacy became a power in the
Christian church: (from A.A Hoekema's "The Four Major Cults")

 Rev 1:10 "I was in the spirit on the Lord's Day" (written about A.D. 95, by
John. The expression "the Lord's Day" has been understood universally to refer
to the Sunday [via standard lexicons and commentators]. To forestall replies
based on SDA doctrine on this verse I will treat it here: SDAs contend that the
expression "the Lord's Day" refers here to Saturday, saying: "the earliest
authentic instance, in the early church writings, of the first day of the week
being called 'Lord's Day' was by Clement of Alexandria, near the close of the
second century". That this statement is quite contrary to fact will be
evident from the following quotations:

 From the epistle of Ignatius "To the Magnesians", Section 9:
"If then those who had walked in ancient practices attained unto newnwess of
hope, no longer observing sabbaths, but fashioning their lives after the
Lord's day, on which our life also arose through him..."
(written about A.D. 107. Text from J.B. Lightfoot's "The Apostolic Fathers",
p.71)

 From the "Didachee", or "Teaching of the Twelve Apostles", Section 14:
"And on the Lord's day gather yourselves together and break bread and give
thanks..." (written during the last part of the first century, or the beginning
of the second.)

(Though the following two quotations do not use the expression, "the Lord's
Day," they do give further evidence for the early observance of the first day
of the week as the day of worship.)

 From the "Epistle of Barnabas", Section 15: "Wherefore also we keep the
eighth day for rejoicing, in the which also Jesus rose from the dead, and
having been manifested ascended into the heavens" (written some time between
70 and 130 A.D. Text from Lightfoot, op. cit. p.152)

 From Justin Martyr's First Apology, Chapter 67: "But Sunday is the day on
which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the day on which God,
having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus
Christ our Saviour on the same day rose from the dead." (written about 155 A.D.
Text from "The Ante-Nicene Fathers" I, p.186. SDAs contend that what Justin
speaks of here was a "festival of the resurrection" which began to be observed
alongside of the seventh-day Sabbath from the middle of the second century
(Questions on Doctrine, p.152).

 This however, seems very unlikely. The service held on this day, as described
in the earlier part of the chapter, includes Scripture reading, a brief homily,
prayer, thanksgiving, the celebration of the Lord's Supper, and an offering for
the needy. This certainly appears to be a description of a regular Sunday
worship service.

 If this were a festival service held alongside of Sabbath worship, one would
expect some reference to this fact in the Chapter. No such reference is found,
however; instead, Justin says: "Sunday is the day on which we all hold our
common assembly..."

 Further, in the "Dialogue with Trypho", written some time after the "First
Apology", Justin clearly affirms that the Gentile Christians of his day did
not observe the Sabbath: "But Gentiles, who have believed on Him [Christ] ...
they shall receive the inheritance ... even although they neither keep the
Sabbath, nor are circumcised, nor observe the feasts" (Chapter 26; text from
"The Ante-Nicene Fathers", I, p.207).

 The statements quoted above, plus the New Testament evidence [omitted here,
but still quite relevant !],
make it quite evident that the change from the seventh day to the first day was
not brought about by "the Papacy," as SDAism contends, but came about long
before the Papacy arose as a strong ecclesiastical institution.

(For a further treatment of the SDA doctrine on the sabbath, and the sabbath
itself, the reader is referred to Bird's "Theology of Seventh-Day Adventism"
pp 93-118; Douty's "Another Look at Seventh-Day Adventism," pp 80-91; and
Martin's "The Truth About Seventh-Day Adventism," pp. 140-173.

 Older but very thorough is D.M. Cainright's "The Lord's Day from Neither
Catholics Nor Pagans" subtitled "An Answer to Seventh-Day Adventists on this
Subject" (New York: Revell, 1915) [Cainright was an SDA who left the group
after having extensive experience with the group and their prophet Ellen G.
White] ).

From G. Lewis's "The Bible, the Christian and Seventh-Day Adventists", p.25:

"The change in the day of worship was not made, as Adventists claim, centuries
after New Testament times by the Pope. It was already in the New Testament and
it was recognized by writers shortly thereafter. References to first-day
worship may be found in the writings of Ignatius, Bishop of Antioch A.D. 110;
Justin Martyr, A.D. 100-165; Barnabas, A.D. 200; Origen, A.D. 225; Cyprian,
A.D. 200-258; Peter of Alexandria, A.D. 300; and Eusebius, A.D. 315."

>  In Luke it is made especially clear that Jesus
> "rested" over the Sabbath day, clearly establishing that this be an
> established part of the New Covenant.  And we see the women waiting
> until after the Sabbath before they come to annoint Him with their
> potions.  Again making clear that nothing has changed with regards to
> the Sabbath over the week-end.  The New Covenant is established with
> the Sabbath intact.

 Jesus rested on the sabbath because he was bound to under the old laws, at
that time. As far as Paul is concerned, he went to Jewish synagogues on the
seventh- day because he wished to witness to Jews, whom he could find there on
that day.

 Did the women understand the importance of the resurrection ? Did the women
know of the resurrection ? The fact that they went on the Sunday means nothing,
what they found means LOTS !

>  There are far too many NT examples of Paul worshiping
> with the gentiles on the Sabbath, not Sunday, to establish that Paul
> was not proposing that anyday, Sabbath vs Sunday, will do.

I'd like to have some concrete references, please !
(I've never seen any verses like this, ever !)

Jim.

davidbu@loowit.wr.tek.com (David E. Buxton) (06/03/91)

In article <May.30.00.16.42.1991.15081@athos.rutgers.edu>, James.Quilty@comp.vuw.ac.nz (James William Quilty) writes:
> In article <May.26.02.25.18.1991.14009@athos.rutgers.edu>,
> davidbu@loowit.wr.tek.com (David E. Buxton) writes:
> >  History bears out that the conversion to Sunday came
> > later during a time when many new innovations came into the church -
> > many of these rejected by the Protestant Reformation.
>
> Here are some historical facts BEFORE the papacy became a power in the
> Christian church: (from A.A Hoekema's "The Four Major Cults")
>
>  Rev 1:10 "I was in the spirit on the Lord's Day" (written about A.D. 95, by
> John. The expression "the Lord's Day" has been understood universally to refer
> to the Sunday [via standard lexicons and commentators]. To forestall replies
>based on SDA doctrine on this verse I will treat it here: SDAs contend that the
> expression "the Lord's Day" refers here to Saturday, saying: "the earliest
> authentic instance, in the early church writings, of the first day of the week
> being called 'Lord's Day' was by Clement of Alexandria, near the close of the
> second century". That this statement is quite contrary to fact will be
> evident from the following quotations:
> . . . . . . . . . . . .

Let me address myself to the question of the Lord's Day.  My
study has shown that the earliest authentic statement associating the
Lord's Day to Sunday comes in 200 AD.   There are numerous supposed
quotations attributed earlier than this date that turn out to have their
problems.  For example, later early fathers claiming that earlier early
fathers made such statements, but on closer research it turns out they
said no such thing, or the document drawn from turns out to be an accepted
fraud, shown to be a fraud by Sunday advocates who could not accept the
other threads of early origin of things rejected by the Protestant
Reformation.  Another fraud that more honest Sunday advocates have
documented to be incorrect is where the purported translation of "Lord's Day"
should have been "Lord's Supper", where the lineage of documentation
should have been offered in support of an early tradition of the Mass
instead of Sunday.

It is possible that in Revelation John was speaking of the Lord's Supper
as the Lord's Day?  There is of course no proof of this.  He could have
been speaking of visions in the context of the Day of the Lord - the
Day of Judgement.   It is generally understood that John wrote the book
of John after writing the book of Revelation.  In the book of John he
uses the words "on the first day", instead of "Lord's Day".  If John
was trying to establish a connection between "Lord's Day" = Sunday he
would have used such terminology in his later writings.  I think
it is best to leave this text in Revelation alone in terms of being a
proof text for Lord's Day = Sunday.   The only proof for this thesis
coming from history in the context of other theologies adamantly
rejected by the Protestant Reformation.  If early church history is
to be taken as proof then annul the Protestant Reformation.

In 2 Th 2 we read about apostacy already becoming apparant to Paul.
The influx of paganisms was especially a problem around Rome.  A
friend of mine, recently died in a plane crash, was traveling the
world with his video camera documenting that when the gospel exploded
out to the world, that the Sabbath went with it.  Then along came
the crusades to stamp out all those who did not subscribe to the
traditions of Rome and they stamped out a lot of Sabatarians - the
best documentation of these extincted peoples being from their enemies.

The following is drawn from many such quotations, but with a focus
on just the Waldenses - there are plenty of quotes from their enemies to
show that more distant from Rome the Sabbath was more the accepted norm:

------

This time I'll skip references to churches in Scotland,  Ireland,  Constan-
tinople,  Greece,  Spain,  Norway, Bohemia, France, India, England, Sweden,
Austria, Switzerland, Holland, Germany, etc.  I'll just focus on  the  Wal-
denses.

Well, on second thought, I'll include one non-Waldensian example:

     "There is much evidence that the Sabbath prevailed  in  Wales  univer-
     sally  until  A.D. 1115, when the first Roman bishop was seated at St.
     David's.  The old Welsh Sabbath-keeping churches  did  not  even  then
     altogether  bow  the  knee  to Rome, but fled to their hiding places."
     (Lewis, "Seventh Day Baptists in Europe and America, Vol. 1, p. 29)

 J. F. Coltart writes - Roman Catholic writers try to evade  the  apostolic
origin of the Waldenses, so as to make it appear that the Roman is the only
apostolic church, and that all others are later novelties.   And  for  this
reason  they try to make out that the Waldenses originated with Peter Waldo
of the twelth century.  Dr. Peter Allix says:

     "Some Protestants, on this occasion, have fallen into the  snare  that
     was  set  for  them  . . . It is absolutely false, that these churches
     were ever founded by Peter  Waldo  .  .  .  It  is  a  pure  forgery."
     (Ancient Church of Piedmont," pp. 192. Oxford: 1821.)

     "It is not true, that Waldo gave this name to the inhabitants  of  the
     valleys:  they were called Waldenses, or Vaudes, before his time, from
     the valleys in which they dwelt."  (Id., p. 182)

And he "was called Valdus, or Waldo,  because  he  received  his  religious
notions  from  the  inhabitants of the valleys."  (History of the Christian
Church,"  William Jones, Vol. II, p.2)

Waldenses - 4th Century:

     It is a point of further interest to note that in north-eastern  Spain
     near  the  city  of Barcelona is a city called Sabadell, in a district
     originally inhabited.  By a people called both "Valdenses" and "Sabba-
     tati."

Waldenses - 10th Century:

     "And because they observed no other day of rest but the Sabbath dayes,
     they  called  them  Insabathas, as much as to say, as they observed no
     Sabbath."  (Luther's "Fore-Runners," pp. 7,8)

Waldenses - 12th Century

     "Robinson gives an account of some of the Waldenses of the  Alps,  who
     were  called  Sabbati,  Sabbatati,  Insabbatati,  but  more frequently
     Inzabbatati.  'One says they were so named from the Hebrew  word  Sab-
     bath,  because  they kept the Saturday for the Lord's day.'"  (General
     History of the Baptist Denomination," Vol. II, p. 413)

Waldenses in France - 13th Century

     "To destroy completely these heretics Pope Innocent III sent Dominican
     inquisitors into France, and also crusaders, promising "a plenary rem-
     ission of all sins, to those who took  on  them  the  crusade  .  .  .
     against the Albigenses."  (Catholic Encyclopedia, Vol. XII, art. "Ray-
     mond VI," p. 670)

     "The inquisitors . . . [declare] that the sign of  a  Vaudois,  deemed
     worthy  of death, was that they followed Christ and sought to obey the
     commandments of God."  (History  of  the  Inquisition  of  the  Middle
     Ages," H. C. Len, Vol. 1,)

     "Thousands of God's people were tortured to death by the  Inquisition,
     buried  alive,  burned to death, or hacked to pieces by the crusaders.
     While devastating the city of Biterre the soldiers asked the  Catholic
     leaders  how  they  should  know  who were heretics;  Arnold, Abbot of
     Cisteaux, answered: "Slay them all, for the Lord knows  who  is  His."
     ("History of the Inquisition,"  pp. 98,)

     "The heresy of the Vaudois, or poor people of Lyons, is of great anti-
     quity,  for  some  say  that it has been continued down ever since the
     time of Pope Sylvester; and others, ever since that of the  apostles,"
     (The Roman Inquisitor, Reinerus Sacho, writing about 1230)

     "The Paulicians, Petrobusians,  Passaginians,  Waldenses,  Insabbatati
     were great Sabbath-keeping bodies of Europe down to 1250 A.D."

Waldensis - 14th Century

     "That we are to worship one only God, who is able to help us, and  not
     the  Saints  departed;  that  we  ought to keep holy the Sabbath day,"
     ("Luther's Fore-runners," p. 38)

     ""For centuries evangelical bodies,  especially  the  Waldenses,  were
     called   Insabbati  because  of  Sabbath-keeping."   (Gui,  Manuel  d'
     Inquisiteur.)

     "In 1310, two hundred  years  before  Luther's  theses,  the  Bohemian
     brethren constituted one-fourth of the population of Bohemia, and that
     they were in touch with the Waldenses who abounded  in  Austria,  Lom-
     bardy,  Bohemia,  north  Germany, Thuringia, Brandenburg, and Moravia.
     Erasmus pointed out how strictly Bohemian Waldenses kept  the  seventh
     day  Sabbath."   (Armitage,  "A History of the Baptists," p. 318; Cox,
     "The Literature of the Sabbath Question," vol. 2, pp. 201-2)

Waldenses - 15th Century

     "Louis XII, King of France (1498-1515), being informed by the  enemies
     of  the  Waldenses inhabiting a part of the province of Province, that
     several heinous crimes were laid to their account, sent the master  of
     Requests,  and  a certain doctor of the Sorbonne, to make inquiry into
     this matter.  On their return they reported that they had visited  all
     the  parishes  but  could not discover any traces of those crimes with
     which they were charged.  On the contrary, they kept the Sabbath  day,
     observed the ordinance of Baptism, according the the primitive church,
     instructed their children in the articles of the Christian faith,  and
     the commandments of God.  The King having heard the report of his com-
     missioners, said with an oath that they were better men  than  himself
     or  his people."  ("History of the Christian Church," Vol. II, pp. 71,
     72 3'd edition.  London: 1818)

Revelation

     "When the dragon saw that he had been hurled to the earth, he  pursued
     the  woman who had given birth to the male child.  The woman was given
     the two wings of a great eagle, so that she might  fly  to  the  place
     prepared for her in the desert, where she would be taken care of for a
     time, times and half a time, out of the serpent's  reach.   Then  from
     his mouth the serpent spewed water like a river, to overtake the woman
     and sweep her away with the torrent.  But the earth helped  the  woman
     by  opening  its  mouth  and  swallowing the river that the dragon had
     spewed out of his mouth.  Then the dragon was enraged at the woman and
     went off to make war agaisnt the rest of her offspring--those who obey
     God's commandments and hold to the testimony of Jesus."  (Rev.  12:13-
     17)

     "Here is the patience of the saints:  Here are they that keep the com-
     mandments of God."  (Rev. 14:12)

     Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to
     the tree of life.  (Rev. 22:14)

Dave (David E. Buxton)

st0o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steven Timm) (06/03/91)

A few points on James Quilty's lengthy treatise on the history of the
Sabbath change:

He quotes Justin Martyr as one of the more prominent sources in the mid
100's AD pointing out that Sunday observance had already commenced by that
time.  Scholarly SDA sources such as Bacchiochi _From Sabbath To Sunday_
also detail the sources (though Bacchiocchi's claim is that this is indeed
when the change began to occur).  The two days, as I understand it,
were kept in parallel for some time, and by early 300's AD most people
had moved to Sunday.

Adventists do claim that "the Lord's Day" is Saturday, mainly because
Jesus said "The Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath", thus claiming
it as his day.  Adventist scholars such as Bacchiocchi, however realize
that this use of the term "Lord's Day" is similar to usages of 2nd century
church fathers who meant Sunday thereby.  He suggests that this reference
may refer to "the day of the Lord" and the end-times, certainly apropos
to the vision he received.

In the second century, it's clear that there was indeed no "papacy" as
we know it today (though
there certainly was a Bishop of Rome.)  The claims which Rome makes to
have changed the Sabbath derive not from any actions they may have done in
the second century but that denominations which claim to be Protestant and
follow the Bible and Bible only instead keep Sunday only out of tradition.

As to Gentiles worshipping on Sabbath in the New Testament, I offer the
following:  Acts 13:42  "And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue,
the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next
Sabbath."
Acts 13:44 "And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together
to hear the word of God."

Also Acts 16:13,14.

If people wish to learn about SDA belief, they are welcome to ask questions
on SDAnet, and I will be glad to send the Fundamental Beliefs to anyone
who asks.  If anyone wishes to bash SDA belief, it would seem appropriate
to consult more recent sources and not push dated private interpretations
as official and exclusive SDA theology.

Steve Timm

P.S.  You don't disagree with us as much as you think you do.

[Your comments on Acts 13 don't match any translation I can find.  RSV
and TEV both say that they were preaching in a synagogue to Jews and
God-fearers (presumably Gentiles who admired Judaism and participated
in the Jewish community peripherally, although they were not
circumcized).  Not surprisingly, this synagogue service was on the
Sabbath.  They were invited back to speak on the next Sabbath.
13:42-43 say (in NRSV) "As Paul and Barnabas were going out, the
people urged them to speak about these things again the next sabbath.
When the meeting of the synagogue broke up, many Jews and devout
converts to Judaism followed ..."  The difference between this and
your translation appears to be textual, i.e. mention of Jews and
Gentiles occurs in 13:42 in manuscripts that are not normally
considered as good.  (Neither NRSV nor TEV think the alternative is
even worth a footnote.)  --clh]

rvp@softserver.canberra.edu.au (Rey Paulo) (06/03/91)

In article <May.30.00.16.42.1991.15081@athos.rutgers.edu> James.Quilty@comp.vuw.ac.nz (James William Quilty) writes:

> Rev 1:10 "I was in the spirit on the Lord's Day" (written about A.D. 95, by
>John. The expression "the Lord's Day" has been understood universally to refer
>to the Sunday [via standard lexicons and commentators].

And then?  Does this override GOD's 4th commandment?

> From the epistle of Ignatius "To the Magnesians", Section 9:
>"If then those who had walked in ancient practices attained unto newnwess of
>hope, no longer observing sabbaths, but fashioning their lives after the
>Lord's day, on which our life also arose through him..."
>(written about A.D. 107. Text from J.B. Lightfoot's "The Apostolic Fathers",
>p.71)

And again, does this override GOD's 4th commandment?

> From the "Didachee", or "Teaching of the Twelve Apostles", Section 14:
>"And on the Lord's day gather yourselves together and break bread and give
>thanks..." (written during the last part of the first century, or the beginning
>of the second.)

And again, does this override GOD's 4th commandment?

> From the "Epistle of Barnabas", Section 15: "Wherefore also we keep the
>eighth day for rejoicing, in the which also Jesus rose from the dead, and
>having been manifested ascended into the heavens" (written some time between
>70 and 130 A.D. Text from Lightfoot, op. cit. p.152)

And again, does this override GOD's 4th commandment?

> From Justin Martyr's First Apology, Chapter 67: "But Sunday is the day on
>which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the day on which God,
>having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus
>Christ our Saviour on the same day rose from the dead." (written about 155 A.D.

And again, does this override GOD's 4th commandment?

>however; instead, Justin says: "Sunday is the day on which we all hold our
>common assembly..."

So if they held their assembly on Sunday, does this mean they were right?
And again, did their assembly override GOD's 4th commandment?

> Further, in the "Dialogue with Trypho", written some time after the "First
>Apology", Justin clearly affirms that the Gentile Christians of his day did
>not observe the Sabbath: "But Gentiles, who have believed on Him [Christ] ...
>they shall receive the inheritance ... even although they neither keep the
>Sabbath, nor are circumcised, nor observe the feasts" (Chapter 26; text from
>"The Ante-Nicene Fathers", I, p.207).

According to Justin!  But according to GOD, doubtful!
GOD commanded the 4th commandment, didn't HE?

>not brought about by "the Papacy," as SDAism contends, but came about long
>before the Papacy arose as a strong ecclesiastical institution.

Is that institution consistent with the scriptures?
What did GOD say in HIS 4th commandment?

>"The change in the day of worship was not made, as Adventists claim, centuries
>after New Testament times by the Pope. It was already in the New Testament and
>it was recognized by writers shortly thereafter. References to first-day
>worship may be found in the writings of Ignatius, Bishop of Antioch A.D. 110;
>Justin Martyr, A.D. 100-165; Barnabas, A.D. 200; Origen, A.D. 225; Cyprian,
>A.D. 200-258; Peter of Alexandria, A.D. 300; and Eusebius, A.D. 315."

And so what?  Do the writings of the above authors during 100th, 200th,
etc., etc. centuries make void the 4th commandment of GOD?  Tell me,
who from among the mentioned authors has more authority than GOD?

> Jesus rested on the sabbath because he was bound to under the old laws, at

Old law?  You mean the Ten Commandments is now an obsolete piece of
divine legislation?  You mean idol-worhip, adultery, honoring our parents,
thief, etc. in the Ten Commandments are now obsolete?

>that time. As far as Paul is concerned, he went to Jewish synagogues on the
>seventh- day because he wished to witness to Jews, whom he could find there on
>that day.

Why don't you say instead that Paul went to the Jewish synagogue to observe
the Sabbath which is more likely considering that Paul was a Jew himself rather
than postulating that Paul went there so that he could meet fellow Jews?
Such a postulate doesn't quite make sense. Does it?

The truth of the matter is that there is no one on earth (not even one of the
apostles or saints or what have you) whatever authority he may have religious
or otherwise is authorized to make void any of GOD's commandments?  This
is plain and simple.  If you believe otherwise, that's another story.

And one more.  There is no problem with the fact that christians assemble on
Sunday fo worship.  It certainly brings glory to the LORD.  The problem is
when Sunday assembly is made substitute for the real Sabbath as is often the
case with most christians.  Sunday-keeping is perfectly alright.  However,
Sunday-keeping-as-replacement-of-the-Sabbath is the problem.

I believed if early christians did assemble on Sunday, they did it as
celebration of Jesus's resurrection.  Because keeping Saturday and Sunday
for secular purposes is, I think, humanly too-much and probably due to Jewish
prejudice, tradition evolved into gradually ignoring the Sabbath and
upholding Sunday as day of worship.  Man did it anyway with his own free
will and GOD is just there to see who can discern the real truth.
--
Rey V. Paulo                  | Internet:  rvp@csc.canberra.edu.au
University of Canberra        | I am not bound to please thee with my answer.

davidbu@loowit.wr.tek.com (David E. Buxton) (06/04/91)

While the earliest authentic observance of Sunday can be traced  no  earlier
than  140 AD, the bishops of Rome claim their Papal lineage back all the way
to Peter.  The earliest claims for these bishops are rather benign and  then
on through history more and more powers are acclaimed to these Bishops/Pope.
And so it is with Sunday.  Not until many  years  later  is  any  sacredness
attributed  to  Sunday.   Here  is  what the earliest of writters had to say
about Sunday:

     None of them claimed any divine authority for their observance of  Sun-
     day.

     Nothing said about a change, or that it was the new Sabbath.  Rather it
     was  a  weekly festival to be observed quite independent of the Sabbath
     question.

     There was no early connotation of sinning if work was performed on Sun-
     day.  Primarily the idea of spending some time in worship on that day.

     Generally simply an assembly - for Bible reading, Lord's  Supper  cele-
     bration, collecting money.

     To be a day of rejoicing, while the Sabbath was increasingly  inflicted
     with rules about fasting and somber solemnity.

     The knew was not to be bent in prayer on that day - standing prayers.
[I believe he means "knee" --clh]

Many of the early Fathers can be quoted both ways - Tertullian, for example:

     Insists that Sabbath keeping started at creation and elsewhere  insists
     the patriarchs did not keep it.

     He claims that Christ broke the Sabbath and elsewhere proves that Jesus
     did not break the Sabbath.

     He states that the law was abolished and elsewhere teaches its  eternal
     nature and authority.

     He insists that Christ abrogated the Sabbath and elsewhere that "Christ
     did  not  rescind the Sabbath . . . . an additional sanctity".  Tertul-
     lian also states that Christ "furnished to this  day  [Sabbath]  divine
     safeguards,  -- a course which his adversary [Satan] would have pursued
     for some other days, to avoid honoring the Creator's Sabbath

This last statement is remarkable and makes clear that what ever  was  going
on relative to Sunday in Tertullian's day was not seen to be of divine ordi-
nation, rather an admission that Jesus' adversary is the one  pursuing  some
other day.

"Kitto's Cyclopedia of Biblical Literature" states that Tertullian in 200AD,
is  the  first  writer  to  attaches the meaning of Christ's resurrection to
"Lord's Day".

     "We, however, only on the Lord's  day  of  the  resurrection  ought  to
     guard, not only againts kneeling, but every posture and office of soli-
     citude; deferring even our business, lest we  give  any  place  to  the
     devil. Similarly, too, in the period of Pentecost; which period we des-
     tinguish by the same solemnity of exultation."  (Tertullian on  Prayer,
     "Testimony of the Fathers", p. 67)

Another quote from Tertullian:

     "As often as the anniversary comes round, we  make  offerings  for  the
     dead  as  birth-day honors.  We count fasting or kneeling in worship on
     the Lord's day to be unlawful.  We rejoice in the same  privilege  also
     from  Easter to Whitsunday [Pentecost].  We feel pained should any wine
     or bread, even though our own, be cast upon the ground.  At every  for-
     ward  step  and movement, at every going in and out, when we put on our
     clothes and shoes, when we bathe, when we sit at table, when  we  light
     the  lamps,  on  couch,  on  seat, in all the ordinary actions of daily
     life, we trace upon the forhead the sign [of the cross].

     "If for these and other such rules, you  insist  upon  having  positive
     Scripture injunction, you will find none.  Tradition will be held forth
     to you as the originator of them, custom  as  their  strengthener,  and
     faith  as their observer.  That reason will support tradition, and cus-
     tom, and faith, you will either yourself perceive, or learn  from  some
     one who has.  (De Corona, "Testimony of the Fathers, pp. 68,69)

Baptist -- William Owen Carver, "The Lord's Day In Our Day, p. 49:

     There was never any formal or  authoritative  change  from  the  Jewish
     seventh-day Sabbath to the Christian first-day observance."

Baptist -- Dr. Edward. T. Hiscox, author of "The Baptist Manual", in a paper
read before the New York minister's conference held Nov. 13, 1893:

     "Of course, I quite well know that Sunday did come into  use  in  early
     Christian  history  as  a religious day, as we learn from the Christian
     Fathers and other sources.  But what a pity that it comes branded  with
     the mark of paganism, and christened with the name of the sun god, when
     adopted and sanctioned by the  papal  apostasy,  and  bequeathed  as  a
     sacred legacy to Protestantism!"

Congregationalist -- Dr. Lyman Abbott, "Christian Union", Jan 19, 1882

     "The current notion that Christ and His apostles  authoritatively  sub-
     stituted  the  first  day  for  the  seventh,  is absolutel without any
     authority in the New Testament."

Episcopal -- Sir William Domville, "Examination Of The Six Texts, P. 6,7:

     "Not any ecclesiastical writer of the first three centuries  attributed
     the origin of Sunday observance either to Christ or to His apostles."

Episcopal -- Issac Williams, D.D., "Plain Sermons On The Cathechism, Vol  1,
pp. 334-336:

     "Where are we told in Scripture that we are to keep the  first  day  at
     all? We are commanded to keep the seventh; but we are nowhere commanded
     to keep the first day . . . . The reason why we keep the first  day  of
     the  week  holy  instead  of the seventh is for the same reason that we
     observe many other things, not  because  the  Bible,  but  because  the
     church has enjoined it."

Episcopal -- Phillip Carrington, "Toronto Daily Star", Oct 26, 1949:

     "The Bible commandment says on the seventh day thou shalt  rest.   That
     is  Saturday.  Nowhere in the Bible is it laid down that worship should
     be done on Sunday."

Martin Luther, "Spiritual Antichirst", pp. 71,72:

     "I wonder exceedingly how it came to be imputed to  me  that  I  should
     reject  the law of the Ten Commandments . . . . Whosoever abrogates the
     law must of necessity abrogate sin also."

Lutherin - "Augsburg Confession Of Faith":

     "The observation of the Lord's day is founded not  on  any  command  of
     God. But on the authority of the church."

Moody Bible Institute -- D. L. Moody, "Weighted and Wanting", p. 47:

     "The Sabbath was binding in Eden and it has been in force  ever  since.
     This  fourth  commandment begins with the word "Remember," showing that
     the Sabbath already existed when God wrote the law  on  the  tables  of
     stone  at  Sinai.  How can men claim that this one commandment has been
     done away with when they will admit that the other nine are still bind-
     ing?"

Noorman C. Deck, "Moody Bible Institute Monthly", Nov 1936, p. 138:

     "We have abundant evidence both in the New Testament and in  the  early
     history  of  the  church  to  prove  that  gradually  Sunday came to be
     observed instead of the Jewish Sabbath, apart from  any  specific  com-
     mandment."

Presbyterian -- T.C. Blake, D.D., "Theology Condensed", p. 474, 475:

     The Sabbath is a part of the decalogue -- the Ten  Commandments.   This
     alone forever settles the question as to the perpetuity of the institu-
     tion repealed, the Sabbath will stand . . . . The  teaching  of  Christ
     confirms the perpetuity of the Sabbath."

Dave (David E. Buxton)

conan@jif.berkeley.edu (David Cruz-Uribe) (06/04/91)

Some  random comments on this thread:

In article <Jun.2.23.50.04.1991.24963@athos.rutgers.edu> davidbu@loowit.wr.tek.com (David E. Buxton) writes:

 >If early church history is
>to be taken as proof then annul the Protestant Reformation.

Which would be fine by me :-)

[A number of quotes deleted]

I cannot comment directly on the sources David Buxton quotes
since I have not read any of them.  However, Many of them are
quite old and seem to be quite sectarian in nature--this is not
sufficient reason to disregard them, but it certainly means that
I would not accept them uncritically.

I would also like to point out another source which is relevant
to this discussion:  the Letters of Pliny the Younger.  Pliny
was a Roman governor in Asia Minor (Bithynia?) under the emperor
Trajan (circa 100-110).  Pliny, a pagan, wrote to the emperor
asking for advice on how to deal with a new and possibly subversive
cult which had recently come to his attention--Christianity.  To
the best of my memory, the letter clearly indicates that these
early Christians (who were far from Rome and its "influence")
met on Sundays.

I would be interested in a discussion on this passage, or
at least a correction if I remembered it incorrectly.

Yours in Christ,

jclark@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (John Clark) (06/04/91)

In article <Jun.2.23.50.04.1991.24963@athos.rutgers.edu> davidbu@loowit.wr.tek.com (David E. Buxton) writes:
+
+Waldenses in France - 13th Century
+
+     "To destroy completely these heretics Pope Innocent III sent Dominican
+     inquisitors into France, and also crusaders, promising "a plenary rem-
+     ission of all sins, to those who took  on  them  the  crusade  .  .  .
+     against the Albigenses."  (Catholic Encyclopedia, Vol. XII, art. "Ray-
+     mond VI," p. 670)

Weren't these people also called 'Cathars'. I recall that the group
was the subject of the only intra-western euorpean crusade. The
Cathars had a number of beliefs which put them on the wrong side of
the papal fence. However, the day of worship I don't recall as being
one.

There are a number of inovations which are attributed to the
Catholic Church by various protestent groups. If one subscribes to a
protestent 'theology' then any number of points of protest may be
raised. However, just because the Roman Church declared some beliefs
heresy, does not imply that those beliefs were representative of
'true' Christianity. The standard anti-Catholic party line seems to
always attribute the revival or introduction of
non-absolutely-derivable-from-Jewish-antecedents to the evil one and
hence implicates that church which has had the most history of such
introductions.

This yet another reason why one should not become a Christian since
one could join the wrong group and end up in eternal damnation just
as if one had never joined at all.

As for SDA's open view of questioning fundamentals, does anyone have
the story as to why Kellog went his way around the turn of the
century. The story I heard was that Kellog questioned E. G. White's
abilities and was, after some debate, dismissed from the the church,
or left on a strong invitation to do so.
--

John Clark
jclark@ucsd.edu

In article <Jun.3.03.00.40.1991.3815@athos.rutgers.edu> rvp@softserver.canberra.edu.au (Rey Paulo) writes:
+And then?  Does this override GOD's 4th commandment?

There are a number of commands which ar to be found in Bible. Such
things as stoning adulterers, killing 'witches(poisoner)', killing
'unruly' childern. Do you practice or advocate these practices now?
Don't hide behind 'that was for sanctuary worship, all washed away
now' type arguements. If it was 'illegal' then it's still illegal
now.

And if it was so special, why is there no record of it's observance
from the 7th day of creation to Mount Sinai? (Approx. 3 thousand
years by the 6K year old earth, 2K before the flood type, 1K to Moses
type reconing). The mention of any ritual in Genisis is sparse to
say the least, a few burnt offerings, a few idols, a prostitute,
that's about it.
--

John Clark
jclark@ucsd.edu

rvp@softserver.canberra.edu.au (Rey Paulo) (06/05/91)

In article <Jun.4.00.00.40.1991.11658@athos.rutgers.edu> jclark@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (John Clark) writes:

>And if it was so special, why is there no record of it's observance
>from the 7th day of creation to Mount Sinai? (Approx. 3 thousand
>years by the 6K year old earth, 2K before the flood type, 1K to Moses
>type reconing). The mention of any ritual in Genisis is sparse to
>say the least, a few burnt offerings, a few idols, a prostitute,
>that's about it.
>--

Hi John, your article implies that the Sabbath had not been practiced
until the time of Moses.  I believe you really have not understood the
meaning why the Sabbath is so special to the LORD.  Well here it is.

Genesis 2:1-3  (Time: Creation)
"And the whole universe was completed.  By the seventh day GOD finished
what he had been doing and stopped working.  HE blessed the SEVENTH DAY
and set it APART AS A SPECIAL DAY, because by that day HE had completed
HIS creation and stopped working."

See the reason why it is so special?
And then, 3000 years later.

Exodus 20:8 (Moses' time: The Ten Commandments)
"Observe the Sabbath and keep it holy.  You have six days in which you
have to do your work, but the SEVENTH DAY is a day of rest dedicated to
ME.  On that day no one is to work - neither you, your children, your
slaves, your animals, nor the foreigners who live in your country.  In
six days, I, the LORD, made the earth, the sky, the seas, and everything
in them, but on the SEVENTH DAY I rested.  That is why I, the LORD,
blessed the SABBATH and made it holy.

See why the Sabbath is special to the LORD?  It is so special not
because the Jews were a special people but because GOD completed HIS
work on that day.  HE said, HE blessed the Sabbath day and made it
holy.  And this blessing occured thousands of years before there was
any Jew.

Now, to the laws like stoning an adulterer, etc., etc.
These CIVIL laws were specifically given to the Jews for the
obvious reason that they needed strict laws to govern their daily
living during their exodus from Egypt.  It was a tough life. Wasn't
it?  Fourty years wandering in the desert and fighting both from
within and without and settling.  They also had laws concerning the
treatement of contagious diseases such as leprosy.  The need of these
sort of laws is very evident or the Jews would surely perish without
them.

Any contemporary society can still adopt and practice these laws if
it wants to.  Present islamic states do practice them.  You can if you
want to.  No harm.  They are just quite strict because they were intended
for people who would have to undergo a tough life such as the exodus.
I bet these laws especially the ones on sanitation are very appropriate
to the recent plight of the Kurds.  See the appropriateness and see how
GOD could see which and which is not appropriate for us?  Praise GOD
for HIS infinite wisdom indeed.
--

Steve.Hix@eng.sun.com (Steve Hix) (06/06/91)

In article <Jun.3.23.49.59.1991.11213@athos.rutgers.edu> jclark@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (John Clark) writes:

>As for SDA's open view of questioning fundamentals, does anyone have
>the story as to why Kellog went his way around the turn of the
>century. The story I heard was that Kellog questioned E. G. White's
>abilities and was, after some debate, dismissed from the the church,
>or left on a strong invitation to do so.

As I recall the situation, Kellogg (Dr. John Harvey, brother of Will K. of corn
flakes fame) left the SDAs because of his latter-life enthusiastic espousal
of pantheism.  This was pretty significant deviation from mainstream (not to
mention SDA) Christian theology, ending in himself and the SDAs parting
company.

--
------------
  The only drawback with morning is that it comes

jclark@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (John Clark) (06/07/91)

In article <Jun.5.00.26.28.1991.21730@athos.rutgers.edu> rvp@softserver.canberra.edu.au (Rey Paulo) writes:
+Hi John, your article implies that the Sabbath had not been practiced
+until the time of Moses.  I believe you really have not understood the
+meaning why the Sabbath is so special to the LORD.  Well here it is.

My post was to imply nothing could be concluded about the practice
of keeping THE 7-th Day in any way from the Creation to Moses.
Further that it was given to a particular people which were in the
process of creating a 'separate' identity. The later iterations of
'the Laws' typically have the social
interactions(kill,adultery,steal) the omnipresence/omnipotence of
the Deity. But the day of worship is somewhat absent and must
exprapoated by much exegesis or it would have been obvious the NT
writers "thou SHALT come to gether for worship on THE 7-day". The
fact that it is no given and in fact there are statements that
indicate some of the 'old' law was void indicates there is some
question in the matter. One could conclude as you have 1) 7-Day is
still required by the 'true' believers 2) it is not required as the
non-7th-day keepers conclude 3) it is required but since it was so
basic the the Jewish experience that it was a forgone conclusion and
hence not mentioned in the text.

For example, the reason such things as 'nakedness' are mention in
the NT is because the typic was a 'hot' topic of the time. The Jews
of the time where being influenced by 'Greek' culture which called
for naked exercise in the gym. This cause the Jews to debate the
issue of 'no-nakedness' as demanded by the OT laws.
Similarly for 'Temple' based worship practices, after the
distruction of Jerusalem there was a great amount of debate in
Jewish circles as to how to handle the 'absence' of the Temple but
still be under the 'Law'.

+Now, to the laws like stoning an adulterer, etc., etc.
+These CIVIL laws were specifically given to the Jews for the
+obvious reason that they needed strict laws to govern their daily
+living during their exodus from Egypt.  It was a tough life. Wasn't

For years we have heard about the 'evil' of pork and why it was so
'legislated' against in the Bible. Yet, sheep have as many diseases
which are even more deadly than the infamous 'Trychtinosis(sp)' of
pork. It would appear that some of the 'laws' of the Bible go
further than just 'health' but to directly segregate 'Hebrews'
from the others.

>treatement of contagious diseases such as leprosy.  The need of these
>sort of laws is very evident or the Jews would surely perish without
>them.

Do you think that non-Hebrews welcomed lepers into their towns?
Do you think some of these laws were 'news'?

--

John Clark
jclark@ucsd.edu

jhpb@garage.att.com (Joseph H Buehler) (06/07/91)

Hmmm.  As I recall, there is another injunction regarding graven images.

May I ask, do SDA's use dollar bills at all?