[soc.religion.christian] New Age

iwilliam@au.oracle.com (Ian Williams) (06/04/91)

Hi Y'all

What does everyone think about the amount of New Age stuff that gets left
around the news net these days..
It saddens my heart to see people so searching, and yet so lost..

Anyone got any comments about it..
Has anyone made any witnessing efforts to the multitude of *.*.new-age
news /alternative religions groups..

In the name of the one who is Name above all names to the glory of the father..
--
----------------------+------------------------+--------------------------------
Ian Williams          | Internet:              | Usual stuff about my posts

bredy@alkp.serum.kodak.com (Dan Bredy (x37360)) (06/05/91)

In article <Jun.3.22.41.22.1991.8016@athos.rutgers.edu> iwilliam@au.oracle.com (Ian Williams) writes:
>Hi Y'all
>
>What does everyone think about the amount of New Age stuff that gets left
>around the news net these days..
>It saddens my heart to see people so searching, and yet so lost..

What do you mean 'lost'? Why is everyone who doesn't chose to accept your
worldview lost? Have you ever wondered if maybe you're lost? I encourage you
to embrace the one and only truth which is embodied in Agnosticism, my
brother! Leave your sinful christian ways now... the time is drawing near...

>Anyone got any comments about it..
>Has anyone made any witnessing efforts to the multitude of *.*.new-age
>news /alternative religions groups..

I would advise you not to 'witness' within the *.new-age,*.jewish, or *.pagan
groups. You will only get flamed (deservedly so, IMO). The groups are there
for people having these beliefs, not as a pulpit from which christians can try
to regain 'lost' members. Those who chose to proselytize in these groups are
IMO the rudest type of people.

>In the name of the one who is Name above all names to the glory of the father..
>--
>----------------------+------------------------+--------------------------------
>Ian Williams          | Internet:              | Usual stuff about my posts
>Adelaide, Australia   | iwilliam@au.oracle.com | not being related to the
><><                   |                        | policies of my employer..

Holding back the bile...

Dan
'LOST' Agnostic

amadeus@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Susan Harwood Kaczmarczik) (06/05/91)

In article <Jun.3.22.41.22.1991.8016@athos.rutgers.edu>
iwilliam@au.oracle.com (Ian Williams) writes:
>What does everyone think about the amount of New Age stuff that gets left
>around the news net these days..
>It saddens my heart to see people so searching, and yet so lost..
>
>Anyone got any comments about it..

Yes, I do.

Why do you think that someone who isn't following *your* path is lost?
Each creature has his or her own purpose on this planet, and any one
person's lifestyle and beliefs may not work for any one other person.

>Has anyone made any witnessing efforts to the multitude of *.*.new-age
>news /alternative religions groups..

It has happened before.  And, speaking as someone who reads those
groups, I can safely tell you that the efforts would not be
appreciated.  Not because the poor unwashed unbelievers/heretics/
fallen types would be so "lost" (although if you came on with that
attitude, there are those who would flame you within an inch of your
life), but because of a fundamental tenet of many of these faiths.  We
do not proselytize.

I understand that witnessing is a vital part of many sects of
Christianity, "fishers of men" and all that, but Paganism and
Witchcraft don't work that way.  (Okay, there may be Joe Blow
self-styled "Pagan" down the street who does, but that's not how most
of us operate.  We believe that if someone belongs in a certain faith,
he or she will find it of their own accord.)

Many Pagans and Witches unfortunately have a knee-jerk bad reaction to
Christianity in any shape or form due to bad experiences in the past.
However, very many of us do not, having made our peace with whatever
disappointment or disillusionment or just plain dissatisfaction we
found that made us seek something else.

In this particular instance, I should let the Divine -- whether it be
Christ, Mary, Brighid, Athena or Kermit the Frog -- take care of this
one.

--
-----Susan Harwood Kaczmarczik-------------------------------*<:-)-------------
"The whims that we're weeping for our parents would be beaten for."--Kate Bush

jclark@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (John Clark) (06/05/91)

In article <Jun.3.22.41.22.1991.8016@athos.rutgers.edu> iwilliam@au.oracle.com (Ian Williams) writes:
+It saddens my heart to see people so searching, and yet so lost..

This is definately a point of view...
+
+Anyone got any comments about it..

There are a number of things I don't like about the 'nu-age' groups.
When I was actively investigating such as an alternative to
Christianity, early '70s, I was struck by the same impression that I
felt is lacking in Christianity, namely the only 'hope' is for some
non-earth solution. Christianity  had 'the God', 'nu-age' has
'spiritual' masters, either incarnate now or 'ascended'. By the way,
at the time it was not called 'nu-age' but 'aquarian' thought. Also
it was not a umpty-ump million dollar industry. The money making
came later.

I moved on to various groups which had a more of the attitude that
humans make solutions for humans. This is not to say there is no
"spiritual" dimension, but that one looks closer to earth for solutions.
I'm not a 'scientific' rationalist either, since I believe there is an
element of the irrational which humans must deal with. Nor am I
particularly a 'Secular Humanist' as vilified by various Christian
groups. There are a number of event for which I have no explanation nor
do I believe that there ever will be.

My tendency is toward neo-paganism, since if one is to invent a
religion it may as well be fun(of course if you read various
'accounts' which some Christian groups promote one could argue about
the fun aspects. But I will leave such 'pornographic' displays to
individuals who prohibite themselves from 'the real thing' but
vicariously enjoy these lurid descriptions).
--

John Clark
jclark@ucsd.edu

krueger@writeon.physics.arizona.edu (Theodore Krueger) (06/07/91)

Several people that I know think that the New Age Movement is
doing one good thing, getting previously non-spiritual people
to open up to the spiritual side of life.  The line of thinking
goes on to say that when the "Great Outpouring" occurs, these
people (the New Agers) will be much more open to Jesus and the
Holy Spirit than people who totally disbelieve the supernatural.

That is not to say that they (or I) are in favor of NAM, but
that there is the possibility of something good coming out of
this.

Ted
--
Be Excellent To Each Other

muts@fysak.fys.ruu.nl (Peter Mutsaers) (06/10/91)

amadeus@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Susan Harwood Kaczmarczik) writes:

>In article <Jun.3.22.41.22.1991.8016@athos.rutgers.edu>
>iwilliam@au.oracle.com (Ian Williams) writes:
>>What does everyone think about the amount of New Age stuff that gets left
>>around the news net these days..
>>It saddens my heart to see people so searching, and yet so lost..
>>
>>Anyone got any comments about it..

>Yes, I do.

>Why do you think that someone who isn't following *your* path is lost?
>Each creature has his or her own purpose on this planet, and any one
>person's lifestyle and beliefs may not work for any one other person.

This is your opinion which you are completely entitled to have, but you may
have noticed that this is not talk.misc.religion, but soc.culture.christian,
and that (most) christians are chrstian not because they believe it is
*my* path, but Gods path; otherwise I would not be a christian.
And I believe that it is not my purpose, but Gods purpose with our
lives which is important.
I don't follow *my* path anymore (at least I try not to).

>I understand that witnessing is a vital part of many sects of
>Christianity, "fishers of men" and all that, but Paganism and
>Witchcraft don't work that way.  (Okay, there may be Joe Blow
>self-styled "Pagan" down the street who does, but that's not how most
>of us operate.  We believe that if someone belongs in a certain faith,
>he or she will find it of their own accord.)

Which is logical: as according to your faith there are many ways to God
or the Divine or however you name it, Jesus sais He is the only way to God;
because I want as much as you that people find the way to God and not
be lost, according to your faith people can find our themselves, but
according to my faith God has to point people to the only way, which He
often does through people.

--
Peter Mutsaers                          email:    muts@fys.ruu.nl
Rijksuniversiteit Utrecht                         muts@fysak.fys.ruu.nl