[soc.religion.christian] Was the Gospel ever removed from this Earth?

davidbu@loowit.wr.tek.com (David E. Buxton) (05/23/91)

The light of the gospel cannot be hidden (or taken away) from the world:

     ""You are the light of the world.  A city that is set on a hill  cannot
     be hidden."  --  Mat 5:14  (NKJ)

Nothing can prevail against the church and its foundation:

     "And Simon Peter answered and said, "You are the Christ, the Son of the
     living  God."  {this  statement is the foundation of the church}  Jesus
     answered and said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for  flesh
     and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.
     "And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on  this  rock  {Peter's
     statement}  I  will  build  My church, and the gates of Hades shall not
     prevail against it. "--  Mat 16:16-18  (NKJ)

To support my thesis that Peter's statement and not Peter is  the  rock  and
foundation of the church:

     "and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that  spiri-
     tual  Rock  that  followed  them, and that Rock was Christ."  --  1 Cor
     10:4  (NKJ)

     "having been built on the foundation  of  the  apostles  and  prophets,
     Jesus  Christ  Himself  being  the  chief   cornerstone,"  --  Eph 2:20
     (NKJ)

     "And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning,  the
     firstborn  from  the  dead,  that  in all things He may have the preem-
     inence." --  Col 1:18  (NKJ)

     "Coming to Him as to a living stone, rejected indeed by men, but chosen
     by  God  and precious, you also, as living stones, are being built up a
     spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer  up  spiritual  sacrifices
     acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.  Therefore it is also contained
     in the Scripture, "Behold, I lay in Zion a  chief  cornerstone,  elect,
     precious, and he who believes on Him will by no means be put to shame."
     Therefore, to you who believe, He is precious; but  to  those  who  are
     disobedient,  "The  stone  which  the  builders rejected has become the
     chief cornerstone," and "A stone of stumbling and a rock  of  offense."
     They  stumble,  being  disobedient to the word, to which they also were
     appointed.  But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy
     nation,  His  own  special people, that you may proclaim the praises of
     Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;  who  once
     were  not  a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained
     mercy but now have obtained mercy."  --  1 Pet 2:4-10  (NKJ)

"Lo I am with you always" - never to be taken away:

     "Then Jesus came and spoke to them, saying,  "All  authority  has  been
     given to Me in heaven and on earth. "Go therefore and make disciples of
     all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father  and  of  the
     Son and of the Holy Spirit, "teaching them to observe all things that I
     have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to  the  end  of
     the age." Amen."  --  Mat 28:18-20  (NKJ)

This world has never been without witnesses:

     ""who in bygone generations allowed all nations to walk  in  their  own
     ways.   "Nevertheless He did not leave Himself without witness, in that
     He did good, gave us rain from heaven and fruitful seasons, filling our
     hearts with food and gladness.""  --  Acts 14:16,17  (NKJ)

Even if God's people are driven into the wilderness, as we see later,  there
will always be God's people.  No earthly temple or church or building struc-
ture is required as Jesus administers a heavenly temple built without hands.
The  important  thing  is  that even if earthly man made structures are des-
troyed, Jesus and a knowledge of His gospel will continue in the earth:

     ""God, who made the world and everything in it, since  He  is  Lord  of
     heaven  and  earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands.  "Nor is
     He worshiped with men's hands, as though He needed anything,  since  He
     gives  to  all life, breath, and all things.  "And He has made from one
     blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of  the  earth,  and
     has  determined  their  preappointed  times and the boundaries of their
     habitation, "so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope  that  they
     might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of
     us;"  -- Acts 17:24-27  (NKJ)

     "For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are  on
     earth,  visible  and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or princi-
     palities or powers. All things were created through Him  and  for  Him.
     And  He  is before all things, and in Him all things consist. And He is
     the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning,  the  firstborn
     from  the  dead,  that  in all things He may have the preeminence."  --
     Col 1:16- 18  (NKJ)

Jesus has, through the work of the Holy Spirit, presented salvation to  "all
men", in all generations:

     "For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared  to  all  men,
     teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live
     soberly, righteously, and godly in the present  age,  looking  for  the
     blessed  hope  and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus
     Christ,"  -- Titus 2:11-13  (NKJ)

     "Let your conduct be without covetousness, and  be  content  with  such
     things  as  you  have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you
     nor forsake you.""  --  Heb 13:5  (NKJ)

Even during the time of Noah:

     "and did not spare the ancient world, but saved Noah, one of eight peo-
     ple, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood on the world of
     the ungodly;"  --  2 Pet 2:5  (NKJ)

Even when God's people were driven into the wilderness, a place was prepared
for them, and they were not destroyed, as the prophecy prophecied:

     "Then the woman fled  into  the  wilderness,  where  she  has  a  place
     prepared  by God, that they should feed her there one thousand two hun-
     dred and sixty days."  --  Rev 12:6  (NKJ)

     "Now when the dragon saw that he had been cast to the  earth,  he  per-
     secuted  the woman {Christian church} who gave birth to the male Child.
     But the woman was given two wings of a great eagle, that she might  fly
     into the wilderness to her place, where she is nourished for a time and
     times and half a time, from the presence of the serpent.  So  the  ser-
     pent  spewed  water out of his mouth like a flood after the woman, that
     he might cause her to be carried away by the flood."  --  Rev  12:13-15
     (NKJ)

Dave (David E. Buxton)
From the Silicon RainForest of the NorthWest

Frank.Farkas@eng.sun.com (Frank Farkas) (05/24/91)

In article <May.22.20.40.16.1991.20305@athos.rutgers.edu>, davidbu@loowit.wr.tek.com (David E. Buxton) writes:

>Nothing can prevail against the church and its foundation:

David, you have said a lot, and I don't have the time to respond to each one
of your statements. What I will do is to respond to the general notion
that the church which Jesus started has existed on this earth, uninterrupted
until now.

Daniel 2:44-45
==============
" And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom,
which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdome shall not be left to other
people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it
shall stand for ever."

"Forasmuch as thou sawest that the stone was cut out of the mountain without
hands, and that it brake in pieces the iron, the brass, the clay, the silver,
and the gold; the great God hath made known to the king what shall come to
pass here after: and the dream is certain, and the interpretation thereof
sure."

The prophesies of Daniel deals extensively with this issue. In Daniel's
interpretation of the king's dream, the image is explained. It is well
understood that the feet and the toes of the image represent the European
nations which were formed after the disintegration of Rome, or in other
words after Jesus Christ. As you see, there is no promise given that
the "kingdom" after Christ will prevail, but it is clearly stated that
the kingdom which will stand for ever will be established *after* Christ.

Rev 13:7
========
"And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to over come
them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tounges, and nations."

As you can see, the apostle John did understand that Christ church was
not going to preveal, but will fall. Satan is to be victorious by
overcoming them. Power was given him over all kindreds, and tounges, and
nations.

The apostle John prophesied, that the time would come
when the gospel of Jesus Christ would once again be brought to earth
by the ministration of an angel:

Rev 14:6
========
"And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting
gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and
kindred and toungue and people,"

You may notice the almost identical wordings in the two quotes from
revelation, clearly indicating that one would follow the other.

Also, the apostle Peter said the following, because he also understood that
the church wouldn't survive.

Acts 3:21
=========
"Whom the heavens must receive until the times of restitution of all things,
which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world
began"

Now, why is it that Peter look towards to the time of the  "restitution of
all things"? Why did he believed that "all things" had to be restored, if
we believe that not anything was ever lost? If you notice, Peter didn't
say that some things will be restored, but he said that *all* things
will be restored.

As you can see, things are not as simple as you would make it out to be.
Clearly some passages which you have used to support your conclusion
are misused. For example:

     "Then Jesus came and spoke to them, saying,  "All  authority  has  been
     given to Me in heaven and on earth. "Go therefore and make disciples of
     all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father  and  of  the
     Son and of the Holy Spirit, "teaching them to observe all things that I
     have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to  the  end  of
     the age." Amen."  --  Mat 28:18-20  (NKJ)

In this passage Jesus is talking specifically to the 11 apostles. The
promise that he would be with them is specifically given to them. Even so,
they all died a martyr's death, with the exception, perhaps of the apostle
John. His promise that he would be with them didn't save them from
persecution and death. So, what does it mean that he will be with them?
I believe that your use of this passage to support
your conclusion that the church of Jesus Christ survived to the present
day is highly questionable. Even if you disagree with my narrower
interpreatation of this passage, you would agree that the promise doesn't
apply to those who would apostatize. If eventually, all fall away after
one or two hundred years, than there would be no one left to whom this
promise would apply to.

I will be going on vacation for two weeks, so unfortunately I won't be able
to respond until I return. I would like to ask you to send the responses
directly to me, in addition to posting it on s.r.c. this way I will be able
to respond when I return.

Thanks.

With brotherly love,

		Frank

sandrock@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Mark Sandrock) (05/26/91)

Frank.Farkas@eng.sun.com (Frank Farkas) writes:

>Rev 14:6
>========
>"And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting
>gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and
>kindred and toungue and people,"

Will this "everlasting gospel" be identical to what is already being taught?
 a) If so, then what is the need for it?
 b) If not, then how do people expect to be able to recognize it at the time?

Regards,
Mark Sandrock
--
BITNET:   sandrock@uiucscs	        Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Internet: sandrock@aries.scs.uiuc.edu   Chemical Sciences Computing Services

gowj@gatech.edu (James Gow) (06/05/91)

In article <May.26.02.25.35.1991.14040@athos.rutgers.edu> sandrock@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Mark Sandrock) writes:
>Frank.Farkas@eng.sun.com (Frank Farkas) writes:
>
>>Rev 14:6
>>========
>>"And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting
>>gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and
>>kindred and toungue and people,"
>
>Will this "everlasting gospel" be identical to what is already being taught?
> a) If so, then what is the need for it?
> b) If not, then how do people expect to be able to recognize it at the time?
Frank when I read that I get that there is an everlasting gospel. There are
many scriptures mentioning that the word will not pass away but that the
earth will. There is only one gospel and that is the gospel of our Lord and
saviour Jesus Christ of Nazareth. There has never been any other gospel
there will never be any other gospel. Salvation revolves around the life
death and burial and resurrection of this Jesus. From
the beginning of time
there has only been one gospel and that is the gospel of JEsus Christ of
Nazareth. IF you want to be svaed you must believe in this gospel. Since
Jesus created the angels there is only one person they would be preaching
about and that is Jesus. Good common sense will lead you to this conclusion.
linc
james

mmdh@cbnewsf.cb.att.com (mazen.mokhtar) (06/07/91)

Frank.Farkas@eng.sun.com (Frank Farkas) writes:
>Rev 14:6
>========
>"And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting
>gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and
>kindred and toungue and people,"

  This is a very interesting verse. Islam teaches that all messengers
including Jesus (Peace be upon him) were sent to their people only
(see Mathew), except for the final message God revealed to his messenger
Muhammad (Peace be upon him.) The book God revealed to him (The Qur'an)
is the final message sent to all humanity and will be protected by Him
from being lost or changed. It is indeed intended to be the 'everlasting
gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation,
and kindred and tongue and people.'

  I do not intend to start a debate, I am simply commenting on this verse.

  Mamdouh Maher

Frank.Farkas@eng.sun.com (Frank Farkas) (06/11/91)

In article <Jun.5.00.02.26.1991.15781@athos.rutgers.edu>, uflorida!novavax!gowj@gatech.edu (James Gow) writes:
>In article <May.26.02.25.35.1991.14040@athos.rutgers.edu> sandrock@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Mark Sandrock) writes:
>>Frank.Farkas@eng.sun.com (Frank Farkas) writes:
>>
>>>Rev 14:6
>>>========
>>>"And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting
>>>gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and
>>>kindred and toungue and people,"
>>
>>Will this "everlasting gospel" be identical to what is already being taught?
>> a) If so, then what is the need for it?
>> b) If not, then how do people expect to be able to recognize it at the time?
>Frank when I read that I get that there is an everlasting gospel. There are
>many scriptures mentioning that the word will not pass away but that the
>earth will. There is only one gospel and that is the gospel of our Lord and
>saviour Jesus Christ of Nazareth. There has never been any other gospel
>there will never be any other gospel. Salvation revolves around the life
>death and burial and resurrection of this Jesus. From
>the beginning of time
>there has only been one gospel and that is the gospel of JEsus Christ of
>Nazareth. IF you want to be svaed you must believe in this gospel. Since
>Jesus created the angels there is only one person they would be preaching
>about and that is Jesus. Good common sense will lead you to this conclusion.
>linc
>james

I just got back from my two weeks of vacation. I have no idea what has
transpired prior to this on this subject, following my comments.
If any one saved the responses, I would appreciate it if  he or she would
send it to me.

James, I believe that you are responding to somebodies comments, not mine.
I agree entirely with entirely what you have said, that
there is only one gospel, and that this gospel is the gospel of the
Lord Jesus Christ. It is important that we do understand the gospel, and
that we become obedient to it. The gospel is the means by which man can be
saved. The good news is that Jesus the Son of the living God did come in the
flesh, suffered and died for our sins, that by grace, through faith
in the Lord Jesus Christ, we might be saved. No man can be saved without
obedience to the laws of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that many
will rise and say that Jesus came to save us from the law. However, the
fact is that we are saved through grace by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ
is the *law* by which it is possible that man can be saved.

The gospel of Jesus Christ has eternal truths, laws and ordinences. While
it is true that we are saved by grace through faith, it is also true that
faith is action. James said, faith is dead without action. When we speak of
*faith* we speak of action, because if we have no action we have dead faith,
and we need living faith to be saved. No one can say that he or she loves
another if that love is not manifested in some kind of positive action. If
my brother is in need of food, and I provide none, even so I could, and I
tell him that I love him, what does it mean? It means that I love him not
at all.

I John 3:18
***********
"My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue;
but in did and in truth."

We need to live the gospel of Jesus Christ not in words, but in deed and in
truth, in obedience to the laws of the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
How can a man be saved if it doesn't know what it must do to be saved?
When essential gospel truths are lost because of disodedience, there is
a need for restoration. This is what the apostle Peter spoke about when he
said that *all* things will have to be restored at some future date, and
what the apostle John wrote about in Revelation. And this is because they
knew by the Spirit of revelation that all essential gospel truths will be
lost.

It is possible for one to have the Bible in its possession, read it, yet not
be saved at all. More than just the possession of the Bible is required.
Various Christian sects has argued over the meaning of the Bible throughout
the centuries, and they still do. When one hears the gospel of the
Lord Jesus Christ, the natural question is asked, as a positive response,
What must I do?

Acts 2:37-38
============
"Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto
Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and bretheren, what shall we do?"

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in
the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the
gift of the Holy Ghost."

Much has been written about the apostasy and restoration in both the Old
and the New Testament. It deserves a serious consideration. It is my
opinion that the apostles knew that the church will fall. If one accepts
this idea, than the following questions needs to be asked:

	1. When will, or did the fall accure? If not yet, than we are
	   still loking towards the apostasy.

	2. If it already accured, is it still in process?

	3. If it is not in process, when did the restoration take place,
	   and by what means? What were the things which were lost
	   and than restored?

With brotherly love,

		Frank