[soc.religion.christian] when the bible sez anything, it sez it all ?

henning@acsu.buffalo.edu (Karl matriculate Henning) (06/14/91)

Michael T Freeman writes:

>Martin Mroz writes:

>>... and a ragged looking man comes up to me and says, "Hello, (here he
>>uses your own name, for example:) Elliott, my name is Jesus Christ."

>	No, I would not believe him.  The Bible says that when Jesus does
>return he'll do so in power and glory.  There will be no doubt to his
>identity.

Mike, just how watertight is this instance of "the bible says
this" ['that he will come back in power and glory'], therefore
I believe this ['there will be no doubt']?

In one of the books of the bible, it was suggested that someone
would be 'nailed to a tree';  and xians generally believe (:-)
that that points to jesus' death on a cross -- no doubt about
that, in xian minds.  The gospels relate accounts of jesus'
various appearances after his "resurrection" to this or that
favored believer -- where in the prophets were the forward-
probing indicators of this activity?

Let's say that these post-resurrection appearances of jesus
were in some measure a test of faith;  and let me assume for
argument's sake that we agree that the post-resurrection
perks were "unsubstantiated" by prior prophecy ...

Does the biblical prophecy of jesus' return 'in power and
glory' mean that IT IS INCONCEIVABLE (N.B.: hypothetical
situation approaching) that BEFORE the "official" return
'in power and glory' jesus might appear in humble guise,
any number of times, to some of the "elect" -- and partly
to test their faith ... as Mr Mroz (e.g.) wonders?

Mike, forgive me if I aver that your response fails
utterly to address Mr Mroz' question -- and that you
did it by "hiding behind" a bible-verse.

kph

--
DEAR SIR AND FRIEND:  You seem to be in prosperity.  Could you lend an admirer
$1.50 to buy a hymn-book with? ... P.S. -- Don't send the hymn-book;  send the