[soc.religion.christian] Bible: What is the Truth?

6600wood@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Joseph Wood) (06/02/91)

*  This is a serious question so please don't flame me for it *

For many years I have been a person who has wanted to find God
but has been unable to reconcile the differences and difficulties
in the various Christian denominations.  Knowing my struggles, a very
good friend of mine prayed for me for over a year.  One day when
talking with me things came to a head and we prayed together.
For weeks after that time I was in a sort of daze.  I read the bible
constantly and tried to ask questions of my christian friends
whenever possible.  Unfortunately, my bliss did not last long.
I have always been of a sort of logical bent.  I am one of those
people that goes to movies and immediately notices what is wrong
or foolish in them.  This unfortunately is my problem.

After struggling with my thoughts for a while, I went to some
friends of mine and asked them if God told them what to believe
when they became Christians.  I told them that while I felt
that I had experieced God in my own manner, no one spoke to me.
There response unfortunately was no.  I could accept being
unworth more than I could accept the alternative.  Anyway, I asked
them, If God hasnt told you what to believe, where did you get
your particular beliefs and how do you justify them against all
the other people who consider themselves Christians.  Who is right?
Is only one person on this planet right or is everyone right.  If
everyone is right, what exactly is included in everyone.
Unfortunately, their answer was silence.  Everyone interprets the
bible differently.  I would appreciate someone telling me why
there are so many sects, so many bibles, and so many people thinking
that they are right and everyone else is wrong.  I really would like
to understand.

Thank you.

lindborg@cs.washington.edu (Jeff Lindborg) (06/03/91)

In article <Jun.2.01.34.55.1991.16398@athos.rutgers.edu> 6600wood@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Joseph Wood) writes:

>For many years I have been a person who has wanted to find God
>but has been unable to reconcile the differences and difficulties
>in the various Christian denominations.
>I have always been of a sort of logical bent.  I am one of those
>people that goes to movies and immediately notices what is wrong
>or foolish in them.  This unfortunately is my problem.

You sound strikingly like me some years ago.  Shortly after I left
high school I started dealing with deep doubts I had about Christianity
and the Bible.  I struggled with them for years, convinced that
something was wrong with me or that I could work them out with a little
more prayer or maybe some help from my pastor.  After a long struggle
I finally came to the conclusion that the problem did not lie with me,
but with the fictional religious system I was trying to rationalize.

Ask yourself why God would create such a conflicting, ambiguous,
murky Bible if your very salvation depended upon it.  Answer:
God did not create it, it was the work of humans just like all of the
other thousands of religious texts that have claimed adherents over
the centuries.

When you notice flaws in the movies you watch, is it really a problem
with you, or a problem with the production you are watching?  I
think you know the answer.

>Everyone interprets the
>bible differently.  I would appreciate someone telling me why
>there are so many sects, so many bibles, and so many people thinking
>that they are right and everyone else is wrong.

That would depend on who you talk to.  Christians are inherently
dogmatic.  While most will immediately protest that, the fact of the
matter is their religion (in its 'orthodox' form anyway... we see a
lot of back-peddling and rationalization going on these days) depends
on its adherents to believe that Christianity is the One true Way and
that all others will "lead to destruction".  Islam will feed you the
same line as will many other dogmatic religions.  If you talk to
some Buddhists they might tell you there are many paths which lead
to the same destination.  Besides, in the Buddhists scheme of things
you aren't damned to hell for all eternity if you screw up in your
one allotted life time... you just have to go around again.  Hinduism
and many other eastern sects will tell you much the same thing.

I encourage you to take a deep and honest look at Christianity...
Don't hide from what you see... don't resist questioning.  If the
religion is really the "one true way" it should stand up to the most
intense scrutiny you can give it.  I, along with many others, found
it did not.  You might find it does, you might find it doesn't.
Whatever you decide, you must be honest to YOURSELF first.  You are
the final judge of what is good and what is true and what works for
you.

I'll tell you, I never felt as good as the day I finally let go of
my belief in the Christian god.  It wasn't easy (its comforting to
know that there is a nicely packaged way to obtain personal
immortality, among other things...) but it can be done.  I gained a
new compassion and understanding of the people around me.  I could
accept them for who they were in a way I couldn't as a practicing
Christian.

Consider the possibility that there is no God or that if there is
He/She/It/They defy human understanding and transcend the need or
desire for human worship and adoration and feel no urge to send any
of us to hell for eternity.  Really open your mind and let yourself
go.

Jeff Lindborg

"He who thinks but does not learn is in trouble.
 He who learns but does not think is lost."
                        Confucius

MNHCC@cunyvm.bitnet (06/06/91)

        Joseph,

        That is a good question, although strictly speaking it should be
        "Where is truth"?  The question "What is truth?" is widely known
        because Pontius Pilate said it to Jesus--although the context
        indicates that he was asking, "Of what importance is truth?"
        rather than seeking a philosophical definition of truth.  The
        definition is that truth is a correspondence between a statement
        and the objective reality it purports to describe.

        When many beliefs contradict each other they obviously can't all
        be right.  If God exists then atheists, who believe in the un-
        provable doctrine that God does not exist, are mistaken, and if
        God does not exist, then theists are mistaken.  If Jesus was (and
        is) God incarnate, then Jews, Muslims, and others who deny His
        deity are mistaken.  If he was not God incarnate, then Christians
        are mistaken.

        It is important to know which beliefs are correct.  Not only is
        the recognition of truth recognized as a value in our culture,
        but it is a question of great practical importance.  Many reli-
        gions assert that there is a life after death and that the way we
        will spend the next life is affected or determined by the way we
        live this life.  If this is true, it is essential to know it now,
        while there is time to use the information.

        The question is, which position is true?  One can start by look-
        ing at those religions that claim to be based on divine revela-
        tion.  Then one can see what evidence each offers to support the
        claim.

        I can't speak for any other group, but Catholic apologetics
        starts with the Bible, especially the Gospels, and the rest of
        the New Testament.  Although the Church believes and teaches that
        they are the inspired word of God, in apologetics we prescind
        from inspiration and look at them just as ancient documents.
        They tell of a man named Jesus who, among other things He taught,
        claimed to be God.  He identified Himself with the Lord God of
        Israel.  In various ways He showed that this claim was true.
        These books also show that He founded a Church to teach in His
        name and with His authority.  This Church, as shown functioning
        in the Acts of the Apostles, the letters of St. Paul, etc. is
        essentially identical with the Catholic Church of today because
        they are one and the same church at different stages of its
        development.  The official teachings of the Church are therefore
        guaranteed true by God.

        The preceding paragraph is, of course, just a bare bones outline
        of the Catholic claim to teach with authority.  Each point could
        be discussed at length, and many books have been written about
        them.

        Incidentally, at the end of your posting you write of people who
        think that they are right and everyone else is wrong.  I believe
        that I am right.  If I didn't I would be trying to find out which
        teaching is right.  I am right, not through any merit of my own,
        but entirely because of the grace of God.  However, I would not
        say that everyone else is wrong.  I would prefer to say that
        everyone else is right, but not completely.  Others possess large
        parts of God's truth, but with an admixture of error.  This is
        just a shift of emphasis from saying they are wrong, but I think
        it is an important one.  Also I want to mention that I am talking
        entirely about the accuracy of beliefs.  I am not claiming that I
        am holier than all non-Catholics.

        Marty Helgesen
Helgesen

oracle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Brian T. Coughlin) (06/10/91)

Re: Marty Helgesen

In article <Jun.5.23.45.39.1991.1202@athos.rutgers.edu>,
 MNHCC@cunyvm.bitnet writes:

>        It is important to know which beliefs are correct.  Not only is
>        the recognition of truth recognized as a value in our culture,
>        but it is a question of great practical importance.  Many reli-
>        gions assert that there is a life after death and that the way we
>        will spend the next life is affected or determined by the way we
>        live this life.  If this is true, it is essential to know it now,
>        while there is time to use the information.

  Hi, Marty!

    The attempt to defend one's faith by means of logical argument
 is a noble cause, IMHO, but please be warned that there are some
 standard pitfalls to such practice. Ultimately, belief in any
 religion comes from FAITH, not from a logical deduction; thus, a
 logical defense of, say, Catholicism, shouldn't be expected to win over
 converts (though it's gratifying when it does)... it should be
 expected only to refute criticism leveled against the Church,
 and/or to satisfy one's one personal need to state one's self-perceived
 truths of the Church. In other words: don't expect apologism to be
 a vehicle through which converts will flow; you'd be certain to be
 disappointed, especially when talking to an audience which ranges from
 neutral to hostile where the Catholic Church is concerned.

    Having said that... I will, if you'll excuse the attempt, play
 the Devil's advocate for you, so that you can see some typical opposition
 that your arguments will bring; that way, you can revise your
 arguments in light of these objections, and make them more
 airtight with each such revision. (Besides, I *love* debates...  :)  )

    (Note: please take all of my comments with a grain of salt; since
 this is a friendly mock-debate, I don't mean them seriously.)

>        The question is, which position is true?  One can start by look-
>        ing at those religions that claim to be based on divine revela-
>        tion.  Then one can see what evidence each offers to support the
>        claim.

   1. You've made the assumption that at least ONE of the current
  religious beliefs is "true"; not only is this logically unwarranted
  (i.e. the existing religions might ALL be false, and a totally
  [as of yet] unknown God-concept might be the accurate one), but
  it's hard to say that a religion (a *very* complex set of beliefs)
  is "true" or "false"; it's quite easy for a faith to be correct in
  some of its assertions, and incorrect in others.

   2. It has not been shown that religions *not* based on Divine
  Revelation would be false; there is, then, no reason to restrict
  one's search for a "true" religion to "revealed" faiths only.

>        I can't speak for any other group, but Catholic apologetics
>        starts with the Bible, especially the Gospels, and the rest of
>        the New Testament.  Although the Church believes and teaches that
>        they are the inspired word of God, in apologetics we prescind
>        from inspiration and look at them just as ancient documents.

   Up to a point. To go *fully* into the view that they are merely
 ancient documents would place them in the same category as the
 Declaration of Independence and such, which would invalidate some
 of your points made below (since "ancient documents" have no
 authority to claim that Jesus's Divinity was true).

>        They tell of a man named Jesus who, among other things He taught,
>        claimed to be God.  He identified Himself with the Lord God of
>        Israel.  In various ways He showed that this claim was true.

   That is not strictly correct; rather, it should read: "In various
  ways He convinced some people of the time that this claim was true."

>        These books also show that He founded a Church to teach in His
>        name and with His authority.  This Church, as shown functioning
>        in the Acts of the Apostles, the letters of St. Paul, etc. is
>        essentially identical with the Catholic Church of today because
>        they are one and the same church at different stages of its
>        development.  The official teachings of the Church are therefore
>        guaranteed true by God.

   :)  Whoops. I'm afraid that this doesn't work, logically.

   First of all, your reasoning for calling the Church of today "identical"
 to the Church of yesteryear is what's called a "circular argument".
 You've said, "Today's Church = Yesterday's Church" because
 "Yesterday's Church = Today's Church", which isn't effective,
 logically. Certainly, if x=y, then y=x (given that we're talking about
 the same "equals/equivalence" that we all know and love...), but you
 have to prove one in order to prove the other; at this point, you've
 proven neither of them.
   Secondly... even if your statement of "yesterday's Church = today's
 Church" *were* true, this would in no way prove that the Church
 teachings are God-guaranteed and infallible; it would prove only
 that those ancient teachings (which would have been proven to
 endure through the ages, as per your statement) were THOUGHT to be
 true by Jesus and His followers. Jesus did not *prove* that He was
 God, logically. (Side note: belief that Jesus is God is an article of
 FAITH, not one of logic; thus don't be too worried that Jesus's
 claim to divinity hasn't been logically "proven"... it doesn't *need*
 to be.) He proved (or, at least, convinced His friends and followers)
 that He could do some incredible things... and that's all.

=== "Devil's Advocate Mode" off ===

  :)  Again, don't be shaken in the slightest by the fact that
 logical arguments can be attacked and brought low; they aren't
 important, in the long run, where God is concerned. Belief in
 God, belief in Jesus, and belief in Catholicism (and other faiths)
 are all matters of faith, in which one accepts or denies them,
 HEEDLESS of logic. Just as one's doesn't need logic in the slightest
 when falling in love with another human, so one doesn't need logic
 to "fall in love" with God!
   After all... if all this could be logically proven, they wouldn't
 call it "faith"!

----
   Take care!

   Sincerely,     Brian Coughlin
                  oracle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

tblake@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Tom Blake) (06/10/91)

In article <Jun.2.01.34.55.1991.16398@athos.rutgers.edu>,
6600wood@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Joseph Wood) writes:
|>*  This is a serious question so please don't flame me for it *
|>
|>For many years I have been a person who has wanted to find God
|>but has been unable to reconcile the differences and difficulties
|>in the various Christian denominations.  Knowing my struggles, a very
|>good friend of mine prayed for me for over a year.  One day when
|>talking with me things came to a head and we prayed together.
|>For weeks after that time I was in a sort of daze.  I read the bible
|>constantly and tried to ask questions of my christian friends
|>whenever possible.  Unfortunately, my bliss did not last long.
|>I have always been of a sort of logical bent.  I am one of those
|>people that goes to movies and immediately notices what is wrong
|>or foolish in them.  This unfortunately is my problem.

Hi Joe,

    Puzzling, isn't it!?

    I'm sort of a logical bent myself.  As such, I have come at my faith
with a logical approach.  For a number of years I said "I believe more in
the Judeo-Christian ethos than in the religion itself."  (I'm not sure
exactly where I stand on that one nowadays, my faith has grown quite a
bit.)

I found myself with a few basic truths:
    1. I agreed with the teachings of Jesus as I understood them.
    2. I believed that if everyone aimed to follow the teachings of Jesus
       that the world would be a better place to live in.
    3. I believed that there was more to my being than my science teachers
       had taught me about.  (I had simply had too many "unexplainable"
       experiences to ignore them.)

    One of the crucial points in my journey was just before I was to
perform Godspell.  I was going to be doing the lead role, and in the name
of "character development", I pulled out my under-used Bible, and read
the Gospels.  I found I agreed still more with Jesus.  I figured, either
Jesus said the things he said, (and I agreed with Jesus), or the Gospel
authors had put words in his mouth, and I agreed with the authors.  From
the Gospels I went on to Acts and Romans.  I found I also agreed with
what I took to be Paul's message of love and acceptance.  To this day,
these are the books I am most familiar with in the Bible.

I added other basic truths:
    4. The best way to promote any "philosophy" is through an organized
       effort.
    5. There already exists an organization dedicated to the promotion
       of the "philosophy" (if you will) taught by Jesus.  (The Church).
    6. Therefore, if I was going to work to further this "philosophy" it
       was only logical that I do it through "The Church".

    Now, the problems arise, my understanding of the Gospels varies from
that of other members of the church!  I became involved in staffing
retreats for a Roman Catholic youth ministry,  "Teen Seminar".  A lot of
people were confused, I'm United Methodist, how could I staff a retreat
for a Roman Catholic confirmation class?  (The priest in charge put it
like this, "We don't try to teach them to be good Catholics, we try to
teach them to be good Christians!")  I found a lot of misunderstandings
between Roman Catholics and Protestants, (frankly, there are some
teachings of the RCC which I simply cannot accept, I could not in good
conscience join the RCC at this time), but even though we have our
differences, I believe we are working for the same goals.

I added more basic truths:
    7. "The Church" wastes far too much effort fighting itself, this
       effort would be much better employed working for unity, not
       striving to prevent it.
    8. "The Church" will probably never agree on doctrine, any
       unification of the church must happen in spite of doctrine,
       not because of it.

    But, if I disagree with my fellow Christians, who is right?  We
can't both be right, (can we?)  Well, maybe.

Romans 14:1-4
  Welcome the person who is weak in faith, but do not argue with him about
his personal opinions.  2 One person's faith allows him to eat anything,
but the person who is weak in the faith eats only vegetables.  3 The
person who will eat anything is not to despise the one who doesn't; while
the one who eats only vegetables is not to pass judgement on the one who
will eat anything; for God has accepted him.  4 Who are you to judge the
servant of someone else?  It is his own Master who will decide whether he
succeeds or fails.  And he will succeed, because the Lord is able to make
him succeed.						(TEV)

    Let's look at it this way, my fellow Christian is following a path
to Jesus, just as I am.  Our paths are different, if we fight against
each other neither one of us will progress, but if we help each other to
follow our individual paths, we can both progress further than we could
on our own.  And, just because I have been given this path to follow, I
should not assume that it is the right path for my brother or sister,
"One blind man cannot lead another one; if he does, both of them will
fall into a ditch."   (Luke 6:39  [TEV])

    I too see inconsitancies, I see cases when it seems clear to me that
"The Church" is at variance with the teachings of Jesus.  For instance,
I personally don't feel comfortable with the typical "Unison Prayer".
These tend to be rather long, and use words which the participants
would not use, and whose meanings they may even not be sure of.  So, do
I start "The Church of No Unison Prayers"?  No, I simply don't recite
the prayer if I feel uncomfortable.  Do I tell others not to pray in
unison?  No, because many people feel that a unison prayer gives them
the words to say what they wanted to say, but felt they couldn't
express.  For them *it is prayer*!  For me it is not, and if I were to
pretend to pray, then I would only be doing it to be heard by my fellow
worshipers, so it would be wrong for me to do so.

    Doctrine can lead to division.  If a church states that "This Church
believes that all of our lives are predestined by God."  A bunch of
people may say, "well that's silly!  We'll form a new church!  This one
doesn't believe that!"

    The key in my mind is not whether our beliefs are identical or not,
but whether they are compatible or not.  If you personally believe that
you should "do unto others, before they do unto you", then I think we
have a serious problem.  We are working against each other.  But if you
feel for instance that you must worship on Saturday, rather than Sunday,
that's fine.  I won't try to get you to give up your Sabbath worship, if
you invite me, I'll even join you, just don't try to tell me that my
worship is invalid because I do it on the wrong day.

    Joe, don't bother looking for an airtight logical proof.  You're
not going to find it.  What if God spoke to you, (aloud).  What would
it prove?  (You might have imagined it.)  In your great desire to
believe in a God, you're mind may have provided you one.  I believe
God has spoken to you, and continues to speak to you.  If you will be
still, and quiet, you may hear him.

    God has never provided me with absolute logical proofs, but he has
provided me with proofs.  The key is, each one of these proofs requires
a certain requisite faith, just as Geometry proofs all eventually boil
down to certain unproven postulates.

    Okay Joe, I wasn't silent.  I hope what I've said may have helped
in some way.  If it has, then give the glory to God.  If it hasn't
then I accept all blame.  In either case, my employer had nothing to
do with it.

					Tom Blake
					SUNY-Binghamton

ta00est@unccvax.uncc.edu (elizabeth s tallant) (06/15/91)

> In article <Jun.2.01.34.55.1991.16398@athos.rutgers.edu> 6600wood@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Joseph Wood) writes:
>
> >For many years I have been a person who has wanted to find God
> >but has been unable to reconcile the differences and difficulties
> >in the various Christian denominations.
> >I have always been of a sort of logical bent.  I am one of those
> >people that goes to movies and immediately notices what is wrong
> >or foolish in them.  This unfortunately is my problem.

HI Joseph,

Welcome to the crowd!

This brings to mind something my grandfather once told me.  I was
fussing about the new pastor and just was not sure if the guy was
really on the level.  My grandfather said, "You should go to church.
When you go, listen to what the preacher says.  If seems right to you,
take it with you.  If not, leave it there."

I think that you will find few people who wholeheartedly agree with
everything that their denomination teaches.  For some, the disagreement
is more intense than for others.

So, why all this disagreement?  WE are imperfect people trying to make
imperfect attempts to reach God.  Our denomination may be wrong, or we
may be wrong, or both.

Obviously, much is wrong because God does not want His body of believers
to be divided.

So, why does God tolerate all of this?  Paul covers this question.  He
says that some believe in eating meat, others don't believe
in eating meat, some feel special reverence for the Sabbath, and to
others it is just like any other day.  Yet, for all of these people,
we are still acceptible to God because God has given us salvation
through Jesus Christ.  God has MADE US acceptible to Him.  Whether or
not we are wrong about things, as long as we don't get mixed up about
salvation, we are all still Christians and members of the same Church
in the Body of Christ.

As for myself, I do attend church, but I don't agree with everything
that it does/teaches.  So, for me, the important part of my experience
with God is through prayer and Bible reading in my own home.  It is
there where I develop most of beliefs.  Using these beliefs, I have
tried to find a denomination that I could best "tolerate."

> Ask yourself why God would create such a conflicting, ambiguous,
> murky Bible if your very salvation depended upon it.  Answer:
> God did not create it, it was the work of humans just like all of the
> other thousands of religious texts that have claimed adherents over
> the centuries.

The Bible is the work of God.  It even says that all scripture is God
breathed.  Further, God protects His works, and I certainly believe
that He has protected the Bible for us.

For those who don't believe in the Bible, it is because they don't
want to listen to God.  Their hearts are hard and they refuse to beleive.
Those people are wearing spiritual blinders which blind them from
truth.  Until these spiritual blinders are removed, such people will
not understand the secrets of God.

> >Everyone interprets the
> >bible differently.  I would appreciate someone telling me why
> >there are so many sects, so many bibles, and so many people thinking
> >that they are right and everyone else is wrong.

Well, not everyone interprets the Bible differently.  I was very
surprised to find that Christians from literally half-way around the
world interpret the Bible in the same way that I do.  This helped me
to realize that the bond between Christians is even stronger that I
originally thought.

As far as different Bibles, there is only one Bible, yet there are
many translations.  The Bible was originally written in Hebrew, Aramaic,
and Greek.  Since few people read those languages, the Bible must be
interpreted to other languages.  In the 1600's, King James decreed that
the Bible be interpreted from the most ancient texts avaible.  That
version, the King James Version, is really great.  Yet, over a period
of 400 years, the English language changed dramatically, and most folks
today cannot understand all of the language that the King James Version uses.

Thus, people set out to intrepret into more current English.  The result
was translations such as the New International Version (my personal
favorite)  the Revised Standard, the American Standard, and the Living
Bible Paraphrase.

Now, why do some people think that they are right and everyone else is
wrong?  Well, first, two people who contradict each other cannot both
be right.  God does not have a "right" for someone and "another right"
for someone else.  Yet, many people have hard hearts and they are
spiritually blind.  They may deliberately interpret the Bible to suit
their own personal desires, irregardless of what God wants.  Still,
others may be just badly mistaken.

Yet, amongst all this, someone there is truth - a right.  To understand
the Bible, we must first ask God to give us the understanding.  This'
invovles prayer.  Then, we must read the Bible - not just a line here
or there, but a comprehensive overview.  Also, we must try our best
to live in a way that please God, so that we do not create out own
spiritual blinders.  And if we mess up, we should ask for forgiveness
and repent.

Good luck Josheph.  I hope that you find a church which fosters your
spiritual growth.

Please feel free to write for further private discussion

Elizabeth
ta00est@unccvax.uncc.edu

MNHCC@cunyvm.bitnet (06/17/91)

        Hi, Brian,

             I am aware of the limitations of apologetics.  Faith is a
        gift from God and depends entirely upon His grace.  However, God
        has chosen to use human beings as instruments of this grace.
        Sometimes the human instrument just testifies to the effect on
        his own life of believing in Jesus Christ.  Other times the human
        instrument presents logical arguments for the existence of God,
        the deity of Jesus, etc.  God uses both approaches as He sees
        fit.

             In this case I was replying to a specific question from
        someone who had encountered differing religious beliefs and
        wanted to know how to determine which is correct.

             Your specific criticisms seem based on a failure to
        recognize that I was, as I said at one point, giving a bare bones
        outline of the apologetic arguments for the Catholic Church.

             I did not assume that at least one existing claiming divine
        revelation is true, although I believe that the Catholic Church
        is true.  I suggested _starting_ with those religions that claim
        to be based on divine revelation.  Obviously, if none of the
        claimants can substantiate their claims one would have to look at
        other religions, such as Buddhism, which, so far as I know, does
        not claim revelation.  It claims that the Buddha achieved en-
        lightenment on his own.  However, since divine revelation, if it
        exists, would be the most reliable source of information about
        God, it makes sense to start with the claims of revelation.

             No, pointing out that the Gospels are ancient documents does
        not mean that they are in the same category as other ancient
        documents, such as the Declaration of Independence.  The Gospels
        are accounts of the life and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth
        written by eyewitnesses or people who had spoken with eyewitness-
        es.  The Declaration of Independence is not an account of any-
        thing.  It is, as the name implies, a declaration.  Historians
        can learn things from the Declaration of Independence, just as
        they can learn things from the Gospels, but the kinds of things
        to be learned are different.

             No, my wording was correct.  The Gospels do not merely
        report the effect Jesus had on people around Him.  They report
        His words and actions that illustrate and confirm His claim to be
        God incarnate.  This evidence has convinced people today. Spell-
        ing out the evidence would mean elaborating at length on the bare
        bones outline I presented.

             No, my argument was not circular.  Without expanding that
        part of the my outline into a full argument, let me offer a
        parallel.  Some years ago in Brooklyn a baby was born.  His
        parents gave him the name Martin Helgesen.  I and that baby are
        essentially identical.  We are one and the same person, at dif-
        ferent stages of our development.  I am bigger than I was then.
        I have, over the years, learned things I did not know then.  I
        can do things I could not do then.  Someone looking at a picture
        of that baby and a picture of me taken this year might not recog-
        nize that we are the same person.  We look different in many
        ways.  However, a closer look might show some similarities.  The
        way to establish the identity for certain would be to trace the
        history of my life and show the continuity between the Martin
        Helgesen of then and the Martin Helgesen of now.   The same kind
        of thing can be done with the Catholic Church, but it takes
        longer because we are dealing with centuries, not years.

             Once it is established that the Catholic Church is the
        Church Jesus founded, then the accuracy of her teachings is
        guaranteed because He promised to be with His Church for all
        days, until the end of the world, and, as St. Paul reminds us,
        the Church of the living God is the pillar and foundation of
        truth (1 Tim 3:15)

             Your final statement, "After all... if all this could be
        logically proven, they wouldn't call it 'faith'!" is also incor-
        rect.  As St. Thomas points out, there are teachings that the
        learned can know by reason while the unlearned must accept them
        by faith.  There are, of course, truths such as the Trinity that
        can be known only through faith, but that does not affect my
        point.

        Marty Helgesen